The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-28-2013, 03:21 AM
Gentry

What about jewels Queen Paola got during state visit to Congo? It was said it consist diamond necklace, earings and bracelets. Why those jewellery has never been worn by Paola? I know it was recognised as state property to be use by Queen (as Provinces tiara). Maybe she allowed Mathilde to use it? We saw some new necklaces on her. Anybody knows?

Old 05-28-2013, 03:09 PM
Heir Apparent

I believe the Congo gift was considered politically incorrect so has likely been consigned to the vaults for a long long time.

Old 06-01-2013, 03:34 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
I believe the Congo gift was considered politically incorrect so has likely been consigned to the vaults for a long long time.
But why was it considered politically incorrect ? Aren't the Belgian royals allowed to accept foreign gifts?
Old 06-01-2013, 04:17 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Xenia View Post
But why was it considered politically incorrect ? Aren't the Belgian royals allowed to accept foreign gifts?
It has to do with the complicated political, social and economical situation in Congo. I don't know details of the situation, but diamonds are produced under awful social circumstances. There were brutal conflicts about the country's resources, and the income from the so-called 'blood-diamonds' is used to finance armed conflicts. At the same time the population is suffering from extreme poverty.
From a diplomatic point of view it was impossibly not to accept the gift. But I don't think that the suite will ever be worn.
Old 06-01-2013, 04:21 PM
Courtier

Quote:
As i understand it from this
Koningin Paola kreeg diamanten van president Kabila | vandaag.be
the problem was that the gift that there was a lot of controversy about the congolese government allegedly spending lavish amounts of money on parties etc while ignoring the needs of the people.
A belgian politician remarked upon that and this created a cooled relationship between the congolese and belgian goverments...
In this light, the fact that Q. Paolo received an expensive jewelry set (also other expensive gifts were given) was regarded as awkward and i could well imagine that that is the reason for the jewelry not to be worn...
Old 06-02-2013, 02:58 AM
Aristocracy

Thank you. But do you think that we will never see them on future generations?
Old 06-02-2013, 04:25 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Thank you. But do you think that we will never see them on future generations?
Of course I can't say for sure, but I don't expect to see it during my lifetime at least .
Old 07-03-2013, 10:40 AM
Majesty

do you think paola will like fabiola stop wearing the grand jewllery if albert steps down as king?
Old 07-03-2013, 11:25 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josefine View Post
do you think paola will like fabiola stop wearing the grand jewllery if albert steps down as king?
It is difficult to say, but I don't think so.
Fabiola was widowed, and she also always had very strict religious views. For example she never wore worldly orders.

I believe that Paola will hand over the Nine-Provinces tiara to the new queen, and will keep wearing the diamond bandeau of Queen Elisabeth and other personal jewels.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator

This is also the only big piece she has. She has only 2 diamond necklaces which she uses to wear with the nine provinces tiara.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 07-03-2013, 12:45 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
This is also the only big peace she has. She has only 2 diamond necklaces which she uses to wear with the nine provinces tiara.
Mmmh. I'm still angry with Princess Lillian for selling all those jewels. And what I really don't understand: Queen Elisabeth was still alive when Baudouin was King and married to Fabiola. Why didn't she leave the Cartier Tiara directly to her grandson?
Old 07-03-2013, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
Mmmh. I'm still angry with Princess Lillian for selling all those jewels. And what I really don't understand: Queen Elisabeth was still alive when Baudouin was King and married to Fabiola. Why didn't she leave the Cartier Tiara directly to her grandson?
I still hope the rumours that some of the Jewels of Queen Astrid (the Stockholm tiara, the emerald necklace/tiara) are in the Vaults of Queen Fabiola and only not worn are true.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 07-03-2013, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
I still hope the rumours that some of the Jewels of Queen Astrid (the Stockholm tiara, the emerald necklace/tiara) are in the Vaults of Queen Fabiola and only not worn are true.
More of the Stockholm Tiara

The Stockholm Tiara | A Tiara a Day
Old 07-04-2013, 08:21 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
That would be very nice. But I will only believe when I see These pieces worn again. I guess I'm a bit of a pessimist here.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Here are some shots of her engagement ring:

1 2 3

I really love her engagement ring. It's very beautiful and elegant. It's also a great size.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

Me too. Its pretty perfect!
Old 07-09-2013, 01:44 AM
Aristocracy

Yeas I agree, it's very beautiful. It can compete with Grace Kelly's engagement ring.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:06 AM
Majesty

i like the earings in the third picture
Old 07-09-2013, 05:05 AM
Heir Presumptive

Josephine , They are another not hanging earrings with pearl and diamonds received as engagement present from Princess Lilian , she really like them and wears them very often. I wonder if the earrings you like are not her mother's ? Princess Astrid wears them also.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:26 AM
Gentry

I've been working on the tiaras of the Belgian Royal Family. Queen Paola has fewer tiaras than some other queens but the pieces she has are very versatile.

Diamond Bandeau Tiara
Diamond Necklace Tiara
Nine Provinces Tiara

Tags
jewellery, paola, queen paola