The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-17-2015, 04:25 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

I don't think we will see the big Fleur de Lys tiara on Letizia's head before Sofia passes on, if at all.
I don't like the new tiara's design but it suits well with Letizia's budget look in general. I hope though that there won't be a scenario that from now on it will be the princess tiara and nothing but the princess tiara on her head.
But I am optimistic that for a state affair in Spain (this event was a birthday abroad) Letizia will use one of the tiaras that have been shared among the SRF ladies over the years.
In years to come, the princess tiara would be a good starter for Leonor of Sofia jr.

Old 04-17-2015, 04:50 AM
Nobility

There is speculation that the majority of spanish tiaras are in serious need of repairs, and the Fleur the Lys in particular. Apparently a new department dependent of Royal Patrimony is seriously on the cards to look after royal jewels. Hopefully this means that Spain is joining Sweden and Netherlands in creating a central royal collection.

As to whether Letizia will wear the Fleur de Lys before Sofia's passing, it's up to her. Sofia made a point wearing the tiara and the chatones for the last time before Felipe and Letizia became kings. This tiara is to be worn only by the current queen of Spain.

Old 04-17-2015, 06:21 AM
Super Moderator

In Letizioas case i would from the three big taras use the diamond and pearl tiara from Queen Maria Christina. It was only worn a few times by Queen Sofia and is therefore not so associated with her the de fleur de lys or the Cartier diamond and pearl tiara from Queen Ena. And i think it is lighter then the fleur de lys at last i have this impression from the pics of it.
Old 04-18-2015, 01:04 AM
Super Moderator

A few close-ups of Letizia's jewels at QM's birthday gala:

*All images have been heavily cropped and are not subject to copyright
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-3.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	294367   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-2.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	294368   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	180.1 KB
ID:	294369  
Attached Images

Old 04-18-2015, 07:55 AM
Majesty

I have to say I changed my mind and think that tiara looks spectacular on Queen Letizia's head!
Old 04-18-2015, 08:14 AM
Majesty

Those strange lightbulbs, eh... pearls, on those thin spikes destroy the look.

- remove those pearls

- set the central fleur-de-lys with diamonds (not that open as it is now)

Then probably it will look better, more balanced and substantial.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:27 AM
Heir Apparent

I have to agree with Duc et Pair that the pearls are my main objection to the tiara. However I do like the overall shape and size of this piece.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:41 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

For me the fleur de lys doesnt fit. It has been the heraldic emblem of the house of Borbon for ages. The tiara itself looks totally budget, some Disney or prom piece, and the Fleur de lys because of its history out of place. The pearls are too big for the design and the way the tiara was put on the brown band looks cheaply done.
Old 04-18-2015, 01:51 PM
Nobility

I love the new tiara. It's simple, elegant, classy, and looks lovely on Letitia.
Old 04-18-2015, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator

Perhaps Letizia could do some alterations to the tiara later on. Have the pearls be detachable and replace them with coloured gemstones.
The pearls do look slightly too big for this tiara. Maybe a teardrop shape would've been better, and in different sizes.
Old 04-18-2015, 02:37 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
For me the fleur de lys doesnt fit. It has been the heraldic emblem of the house of Borbon for ages. The tiara itself looks totally budget, some Disney or prom piece, and the Fleur de lys out because of history of place. The pearls are too big for the design and the way the tiara was put on the brown band looks cheaply done.
Right you are.
Old 04-18-2015, 05:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

Ok. I liked the tiara on her as it seemed she was enjoying it. But you are right Duke. It does have a pageant Vegas look to it. I still enjoyed seeing it on Letizia
Old 04-19-2015, 02:54 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humera View Post
Perhaps Letizia could do some alterations to the tiara later on. Have the pearls be detachable and replace them with coloured gemstones.
The pearls do look slightly too big for this tiara. Maybe a teardrop shape would've been better, and in different sizes.
Do we think a pearl base to the new tiara would improve the design?
Old 04-19-2015, 03:37 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
It would definitely bring more balance into the diadem. The awkward spikes with those industrial looking pearls still will "destroy" the look, I am afraid. There is no setting around the pearls, no "claw", that is probably why it looks like a fancy fair tiara you can get when you win a prize.

Old 04-19-2015, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I kind of don't like the straigth diamond base of the tiara. It looks harsh, geometric and leads the focus to the base and even highlights the velvet band below. Maybe I would remove that base completely. I imagine a look where the velvet base is covered and the curves of the tiara kind of rises out of the hairstyle instead of looking 'popped on'. And maybe the stones from the base could be used to 'fill' the fleur de lys.

Also I agree with those who think that smaller pear shaped pearls would look better.

Old 04-19-2015, 12:08 PM
Majesty

Drop/pear-shaped pearls are said to be very expensive. Perhaps, the Spanish royal family can not afford it.
Old 04-19-2015, 12:09 PM
Serene Highness

I dislike pearls on tiaras in general, it's not in harmony with the rest. I still like the design though and the fact that she just showed it finally.
I made a little photoshop, replacing the pearls with diamonds and it's much more appeasing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pearl Fleur de Lys Tiara (2005) by Ansorena for Queen Letizia 3 Kopie.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	294445  

To be a legend, you've either got to be dead or excessively old!
Christopher Lee
Old 04-19-2015, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post

Drop/pear-shaped pearls are said to be very expensive. Perhaps, the Spanish royal family can not afford it.
That might be the point. But what about cultured pearls, are drop shaped cultured pearls also so rare and expensive?

Old 04-19-2015, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

I certainly think drop shaped pearls would balance the design a little, but I also like the idea of diamonds replacing them - Fürstin Taxis photoshop is clever and shows how it could look very well.
Old 04-19-2015, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

Oh, I didn't see the photoshop. Fürstin Taxis must have posted it while I was composing my own post. Yes, that looks more balanced. But wouldn't diamonds of that size be much more expensive than cultured pearls?

I assume that the lightbulb pearls are cultured. Ansorna talked about Australian pearls, and Australia is famous for their pearl cultures.

Tags
jewellery, letizia, queen letizia, spain