Queen Elizabeth II: Tiaras, Necklaces etc 2: Nov 2007-Dec 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
EIIR said:
That's probably the only tiara of HM's that I really dislike. I hope that some future royal female who has access to it takes it to pieces and has a top jeweller start again from scratch. A competition could even be held for students of jewellery design to see what they might do with it. It's just so ugly as it is.

See, I like this one but can't stand the Burmese Ruby tiara. That one to me looks like a rhinestone tiara for a county fair pageant queen in Texas.

Till sometime back, I really did not like QE II's sapphire tiara. In recent years, especially after I understood its origins as a necklace, I started to, perhaps, "make my peace" with it. I actually think it is quite similar in concept to quite a lot of the Dutch tiaras.

I hope in time Camilla makes some minor alterations to it, by adding the odd cluster of diamonds and saphhires here and there to fill out the obvious gaps, and perhaps adding a base (perhaps a removable one from the Girls of Great Britain tiara?) to give the tiara some further height. Any thoughts?

The one tiara that I actively dislike is the aquamarine tiara that HM uses. It really is not very pleasant, and I really hope Camilla has a real hack at it and manages to make something wearable out of it.

Last edited:
Till sometime back, I really did not like QE II's sapphire tiara. In recent years, especially after I understood its origins as a necklace, I started to, perhaps, "make my peace" with it. I actually think it is quite similar in concept to quite a lot of the Dutch tiaras.

The funny thing is that I don't really care much for the Dutch gems, either.

I hope in time Camilla makes some minor alterations to it, by adding the odd cluster of diamonds and saphhires here and there to fill out the obvious gaps, and perhaps adding a base (perhaps a removable one from the Girls of Great Britain tiara?) to give the tiara some further height. Any thoughts?

The one tiara that I actively dislike is the aquamarine tiara that HM uses. It really is not very pleasant, and I really hope Camilla has a real hack at it and manages to make something wearable out of it.

I am going to stand by what I said earlier in this thread and say that it should be a necklace. I can't think of anything that would make it not look like an upside-down necklace without taking it apart and starting from scratch.

As for alternatives, I imagine Camilla could easily take the sapphires that she got from Saudi Arabia and hang them in the Vladimir. I think I heard some where there are two other sapphire tiaras in the Queen's collection (the Russian Bandeau and a mystery one that I won't be convinced exists until I see pics), so Camilla could use one of them instead of this tiara.

And the Aquamarine (along with the Burmese Ruby) is definitely a tiara that needs a re-do.

I must have really bad taste because I love both the sapphire, and the Burmese Ruby tiara!!:lol:

I must have really bad taste because I love both the sapphire, and the Burmese Ruby tiara!!:lol:

Rose Royal - at the risk of sounding like I am speaking for others - that tiara has the problem of looking fragile and like it was some kind of weekend craft project on our kitchen table. It inevitably looks like it can be/has been bent because of how it is made.

In my opinion, the Queen asked for the spikiness in the design to because she loved the spikes in the Girls of GB and I tiara. That tiara is a huge design success and looks great on the head.

The sapphire tiara has the spikes the Queen loves (and they look good on her)! But the tiara also looks like the structure is less substantial than it needs to be. Tighten the whole thing up and add some lesser spikes in the front and we would adore that tiara.

But again, IMHO, Elizabeth is not a jewel magpie. Having made the tiara once out of bits and pieces, it pleases her enough that she will let it be. Those sapphires are enough to impress anyone, even in a less than perfect tiara design. :flowers:

:previous:
That is what I am saying I love- the stones, not the design. ;) Sorry for not being clear.....:doh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Such a beautiful bracelet:)

I like the art deco design of the Aquamarine Tiara.

The pearl necklace is always a classic, and Is usually the one HM is always seen wearing.

I would love to see Camilla in the Godman necklace.

I can't quite see the earrings - are they the "Coronation Earrings" or the Queen Mother's diamond earrings from Mrs Greville?
I'm pretty sure she's wearing the coronation earrings.
The Greville Diamond Drop Earrings are quite similar in shape but are slightly longer than the coronation ones.

Yes I agree with you Artemisia !

She has it for much longer. She wore it on an official Visit to Berlin in 1987 for the 750th anniversarys of the town.

According to Fields, the Queen wore this necklace July of 1986 "when she attended a dinner given by the president of West Germany during his state visit to Great Britain. Her six-row pearl necklace set with different-sized diamond plaques and the matching earrings were a gift to the Queen from the Amir of Qatar on her 1979 visit to the Gulf States."

According to Fields, the Queen wore this necklace July of 1986 "when she attended a dinner given by the president of West Germany during his state visit to Great Britain. Her six-row pearl necklace set with different-sized diamond plaques and the matching earrings were a gift to the Queen from the Amir of Qatar on her 1979 visit to the Gulf States."

Thanks. Then i mixed the State Visit with the Berlin Visit.

It just came to my mind, do anyone know if The Queen and senior female members of the royal family still wear formal evening gowns and tiara's for Christmas Dinner at Sandringham?

I have read that Christmas Dinner at Sandringham is a formal affair. The men wear formal suits and the ladies wear enening gowns and tiara's. I think Sarah, Duchess of York once mentioned this in one of her books or something.

:previous:
Really great bracelet. Beautiful design and excellent craftsmanship. The stones aren't shabby too.

It's a very nice necklace.

I'd love to see HM wear the detachable center piece to the County of Cornwall bracelet as a brooch, though she's certainly not lacking any in that department!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom