Queen Elizabeth II: Tiaras, Necklaces etc 2: Nov 2007-Dec 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is a lovely bracelet. I also wanted to mention how much I loved that HM wore the Teck brooch with her white dress at the state visit for the President of the U.S. :flowers:

The Teck set doesn't get seen nearly enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Queen Dines with the State - Pictures - Zimbio

HM tiara must be made of silver, which was widely used in jewels. It seems to need a dip in rhodium as it has oxidized just a bit. I don't mind this but it shows next to the absolute brillance of the necklace, brooch and earrings..!

HM tiara must be made of silver, which was widely used in jewels. It seems to need a dip in rhodium as it has oxidized just a bit. I don't mind this but it shows next to the absolute brillance of the necklace, brooch and earrings..!

Please forgive me venturing an opinion here, as I am NO expert on Royal Jewels, but I would think that the Queen's Tiara is probably made of Platinum. Silver is regarded as a 'cheap metal' [it's all relative by my standards!] and apart from the fact that it seems incongrous to have priceless diamonds set in a (relatively) cheap metal, silver is not really suited as a metal for setting diamonds; come to that, even gold is regarded as a less suitable precious metal for setting priceless stones, so I don't think that the tiara is white gold, either. These things make me think that the tiara is therefore platinum. My family is lucky enough to have a tiara, and that too looks silver, but is platinum [and by the way it is VERY heavy to wear]

Hope some of this helps

Alex

Silver and Gold?

Please forgive me venturing an opinion here, as I am NO expert on Royal Jewels, but I would think that the Queen's Tiara is probably made of Platinum. ]

I would say that it is Silver backed in gold this was the norm.(See The Oriental Circlet, 1853)
I would say it is the gold that is making it look (tarnishied)

this is a better pic
Scroll down please
A Fashionable Frolick: The Tiaras of Queen Victoria

Last edited:
To fashion jewellery out of platinum is difficult and can only be done with comparatively modern techniques. The Oriental Circlet of Queen Victoria was made at a time when it was still usual to set jewels in gold and silver. The Honeycomb tiara which Camilla is wearing is much younger. It was made in 1921 by Boucheron and it actually is set in platinum.

Video of HM in State in Ireland

At the end of this lengthy Mail Online link is a video of part of HM's speech at the Irish State Banquet in Dublin.
She is wearing the Girls of Great Britain tiara and a diamond necklace (provenance unknown).

For those who like to see some glitter in action, the video is worth a look.

-> Queen's visit to Ireland| Mail Online (scroll down for the video)

v
HM at the Irish State Banquet
image cropped from a much larger picture and not subject to copyright

Attachments

• EIIR Dublin May 2011.jpg
    EIIR Dublin May 2011.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 424
IMO, the one that Sophie wore is slightly different to the one that HM wore in Ireland.

HM tiara must be made of silver...as it has oxidized just a bit.
The Royal Collection website describes the Girls of Great Britain tiara as being "diamonds, silver", although a close-up [see thumbnail] gives the appearance of gold mountings.

v Girls of Great Britain tiara
Image not subject to copyright restriction as it forms a small cropped section of a much larger photograph..

Attachments

• Girls of Great Britain.jpg
    Girls of Great Britain.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 343
That it does. Noticed that the first time I saw that particular episode of The Tudors.

Loved seeing the various brooches HM wore during Ascot this year. Impeccible and perfect w/the respective outfits as always.

Last edited:
Nizam of Hyderabad Diamond Tiara

1952 was the last spotting of the Nizam (tiara), worn by HM. What is the copyright on the book you're using?

Tiara's, A History of Splendour by Geoffrey Munn (Head of Wartski) is only about 10 years old and was produced to accompany the exhibition of the same name that was staged at the Victoria and Albert Museum in London.

The Queen still wears the necklace and clips that are/were part of the tiara. It is rumored that the tiara's leftover diamonds were used for the Burmese Ruby tiara, which was worked by Garrards in 1973, according to Leslie Field's The Jewels of Queen Elizabeth II, 1992.

If Garrards reworked it, surely they would be able to confirm it to the experts. However, both Menkes and Munn are quite vague about what happened to the tiara. It's anybody's guess.

Last edited:
queen's jewelry collection

Is there anywhere this forum or a website out there that has a catalogue with pictures of all Queen Elizabeth's jewelry. I would just love to look at the collection.

The Queen has many pearl necklaces, as illistrated by Nellie's post.
For the daytime engagements, she wears three strand pearls. She has 3 of these, they are,
1. Silver Jubilee gift from her Grandfather King George V
2.Coronation gift from Emir of Qatar
3. made from family pearls.
The Queen wore on her wedding day, the Crown Pearls, - Queen Anne and Queen Caroline pearl necklaces.
She also has a single strand of pearls from her father GeorgeVI. Another single strand is known as the Hanovian Pearls.
There are many other , some yet to be identified woth provence.

The Queen has many pearl necklaces, as illistrated by Nellie's post...
Thank you so much for this historical information about the Queen's beautiful pearl necklaces

HM the Queen is extremely fond of her pearls and they always do look very elegant on her. I did so enjoy the historical info posted by Joye.

At her father's coronation,the crown she was wearing looked kinda fake.Was it real?She was 13.I did'nt know they make crowns that can fit little girls!

That's just me!

Last edited:
IloveCP said:
At her father's coronation,the crown she was wearing looked kinda fake.Was it real?She was 13.I did'nt know they make crowns that can fit little girls!

That's just me!

Yes the coronet is real - made from silver gilt so as not to be too heavy. It is on display along with Princess Margaret's in the Tower of London.

OMG it feels so good to be back from my suspension!
Just how many tiaras does the queen have
Because apparently for The royal wedding
KAte had 80 pieces of Royal jewelry to pick from, hmm apparently she has more than the usual jewels that the Queen is seen in. Any idea of how many she has including inherited.

HM is reported to have over 30 tiaras, perhaps approaching 40, as there are sure to be items in the vaults of which we know nothing.
She would have thousands of individual pieces of jewellery ranging from trinkets to jewelled works of art.
She inherited jewels from her grandmother and her mother and has been receiving gifts as a Princess since birth and as Monarch for close on 60 years.
The number of pieces or full extent of her collection is unknown and will remain unknown as it is her personal and private property.
When the Queen dies the collection will pass intact to her successor and no details will be made public.

Well all I can say to that is............DRATS!

What, inordinate, greed. Things that no ones uses that have monetary value, that can help others, locked away, is greed. I know many will disagree, but, as they are passed from "monarch ot monarch" without tax, it is the ulimate scam.

What, inordinate, greed. Things that no ones uses that have monetary value, that can help others, locked away, is greed. I know many will disagree, but, as they are passed from "monarch ot monarch" without tax, it is the ulimate scam.

What do you propose should be done with them?

Why do you think it is a scam?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom