The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-09-2009, 11:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda View Post
Perhaps she didn't ask! I'm sure that HM would not have refused had Diana asked to see what was available from the items that were not in use.
By the way, I was wondering... how does that work with the Royal jewels that are in the vaults? I mean aren't they all kept at the Tower of London? So when the Queen wants to pull something out of the vault does she have to go to the Tower to get what she wants? And what if Diana (or the Duchess of Cornwall) wanted to borrow something but they weren't sure what they wanted. Did/do they make a visit to the Tower to pick something out. I always wondered how that all worked.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:11 AM
Administrator

The Crown Jewels are kept in the Tower of London (crowns, orbs, sceptres, jewelled swords, Coronation regalia, etc).
The vast bulk of the Queen's collection is "private" or designated "left to the Crown" and most of these are believed to lie in the extensive vaults beneath Buckingham Palace.
The vaults could be described as a "treasure trove" or "Aladdin's Cave" of riches. What lies beneath very few know, and those that do don't tell.
I would assume that no-one gets in to have a look without the express permission of HM. The attitude is "they are private, and it's no-one else's business."

Old 07-22-2009, 08:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Warren, wouldn't you think that what ever senior lady in the immediate family would be able to have her dresser call up and say, well for the following official tour she's wearing a gown of xyz colors to the White House (or wherever) and we'd like to see what we have that would look favorable? I mean obviously not a minor member, but a member of the immediate family?
Old 07-23-2009, 05:04 AM
Administrator

Well, we know that Princess Anne has worn a mystery tiara which we assume to have been delved from the vaults, but such examples are few and far between.
The only other tiara I can think of is the Delhi Durbar which made a surprise appearance on the DOC after lying for over half a century in the dark.
It would seem that HM is not as eager as us for the mysteries of the vaults to be to publicly revealed.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:46 AM
Heir Apparent

I would tend to agree with you. My sense is other than the jewels that have been made available to the DoC (largely comprising elements of the QMs collection), HM tends not to dole out any. My sense is that she has provided Anne and Sophie with the amounts of jewellery she considers appropriate, and she is not planning to dig further into the collection in a hurry.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:16 AM
Heir Presumptive

I would think as Andrew's daughters get a bit older and start to attend royal functions that HM will loan them some pieces, so they dont look bare! Hopefully, anyway. It seems such a pity that so many treasures never see the light of day. I would be down visiting them once a week if I had the key to the vault!
Old 07-23-2009, 01:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
I would think as Andrew's daughters get a bit older and start to attend royal functions that HM will loan them some pieces, so they dont look bare!
I have no doubt that B&E will receive pieces of jewellery from HM at the appropriate time in their lives. No doubt some thought would go into selecting the pieces that they will receive, to reflect their relative position in the future of their monarchy.

That said, my sense is that they will not be attending major royal events like state banquets that typically require jewellery, again reflecting their relative position in the future of their monarchy.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:47 AM
Nobility

Once Charles is King, the focus will be on the young Princes and their future spouses. Charles' intention is to have a smaller Royal Family in his reign. The fact that the cousins are now so involved is a bit The Queen's own choice, because she intended to have a role to play for e.g. Princess Alexandra, ...
I suppose that the jewellery collection will be reserved for the next generation of royal ladies in the front rank of the family; and the daughters of Andrew, I really think that they will have a second-line place and for that reason not having use of tiaras, huge necklaces, ...
Old 07-24-2009, 06:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quite right
Old 08-02-2009, 02:26 PM
Commoner

I came across this picture of the Queen, I think it was taken in Canada and it looks like the 1970's. I don't recognise the tiara she is wearing, it looks like aquamarine but not the Brazilian one. Does anyone know anything about this tiara or have a better picture of it?

QueenCanadaAnnAquatiara.jpg picture by davidj_album - Photobucket
Old 08-02-2009, 09:43 PM
Nobility

They are the Braziliam aquamarine V shaped hair ornaments that were given to The Queen in 1968 during her first State Visit there.
They have since been dismanted to put into the current aquamarine tiara.
Field page 21
Old 08-05-2009, 07:29 AM
Nobility

The Kent Demi Parure was worn I believe when Her Majesty The Queen paid a State Visit to Portugal in 1984. The Queen actually favours the Queen Mother's Ruby Necklace, her own Ruby Swag necklace or the one she ordered to buy from the Baring Family.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:30 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenElizabeth View Post
or the one she ordered to buy from the Baring Family.
Which one is this ?
Old 08-07-2009, 03:23 AM
Nobility

The Baring ruby necklace was worn by The Queen on 8 November 2005 when she entertained The President of the People's Republic of China during the State Banquet. Perhaps you can look it up in the pictures. The necklace was sold at Sotheby's in April 1964 and was purchased on behalf of The Queen. It has a chatelaine centre.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:16 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJ View Post
I came across this picture of the Queen, I think it was taken in Canada and it looks like the 1970's. I don't recognise the tiara she is wearing, it looks like aquamarine but not the Brazilian one. Does anyone know anything about this tiara or have a better picture of it?

QueenCanadaAnnAquatiara.jpg picture by davidj_album - Photobucket
Isn't it lovely? It's a pity it was dismantled to create that hideous thing she now wears. This really was a most attractive piece.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 08-08-2009, 07:24 PM
Royal Highness

The Baring ruby necklace, bought 1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by noldorlord View Post
Which one is this ?
Here is a pic from the Royal Collection; I rather like it. I don't care for the one she recieved from the Saudi's, however. This is lovely.

://www.royalcollection.org.uk/microsites/dressfortheoccasion/object.asp?exhibs=BPSO2006jewellery&item=3

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 08-08-2009, 07:28 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenElizabeth View Post
The Baring ruby necklace was worn by The Queen on 8 November 2005 when she entertained The President of the People's Republic of China during the State Banquet. Perhaps you can look it up in the pictures. The necklace was sold at Sotheby's in April 1964 and was purchased on behalf of The Queen. It has a chatelaine centre.
Actually, she did not wear rubies on that particular date--she wore the Girls of Great Britain tiara and a diamond necklace:
Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

Old 08-08-2009, 09:19 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99 View Post
Isn't it lovely? It's a pity it was dismantled to create that hideous thing she now wears. This really was a most attractive piece.
I have to agree with you jcbcode, the original was lovely, the remodelled version, not so classic
Old 08-08-2009, 09:44 PM
Courtier

I simply hate that aquamarine hair ornament: the aquamarine tiara might not be among the most stunning tiaras Her Majesty possesses but it looks much better than the hairpiece. It might have looked lovely on 16-22 years old debutante Princess, but it simply doesn’t work for an older lady, in my opinion.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:48 AM
Serene Highness

The ruby necklace is gorgeous.I would love to see that with the central pendant only,though.It looks a bit heavy with 3 pendants.JMHO.So,how's the DoC connected with the ruby parure?Has she worn it recently?

Tags
elizabeth ii, jewels, necklaces, photo, queen elizabeth ii, tiara, tiaras