Princess Margaret Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Queen inherited all of her mother's personal property, including her jewels. So, presumbly she has the Strathmore Rose Tiara and Crescent & Moon Tiara from The Duchess of Teck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Viscountess Linley wore the tiara at her wedding but it has not been seen since. I would assume that on Princess Margaret's death it was returned, along with the other pieces with royal provenance, to the vaults.

This would be really a shame, as it is a quite beautiful, charming tiara - and would fit some of the younger royal ladies. Do you really think that it was returned to the vaults of the Queen? I would assume that it was inherited by Princess Margarete and belongs to the family.
Do we have any information, which of Princess Margaretes jewelry was a loan from the RF and which was her own?

I doubt any of Margaret's jewels were returned to The Queen. Her royal pieces were all personal gifts from her mother or grandmother and none were of particular importance. As is usually the case, these jewels become the personal property of the recipent and they are free to dispose of them as they wish.

The Papyrus Fan Tiara and the Teck circle diamond necklace both were likely retained by Viscount Linley and Lady Sarah.

I've been searching these threads and I cant find anything about this brooch. Does anybody know whats happened to it? I don't remember seeing it on the auction catalog. I just love this brooch

Never mind, Im pretty sure that picture came from the auction catalog. I wonder where it is now

Lady Sarah Chatto

I seem to remember that when Lady Sarah married she wore a tiara that was made from two brooches given to her by Princess Margaret. Does anyone have any photos of this , I remember seeing a not very good photo of Lady Sarah at her wedding in the "Tiaras" exhibition at the Victoria and Albert museum in 2002.
Many thanks:flowers:

:previous:
Check out the Lady Sarah Wedding thread. There are many pictures.

Quoting from a post in the thread: "Lady Sarah wears the Snowdon Floral Tiara which is a diamond floral tiara that can be broken up and used as brooches. Lord Snowdon gave this tiara to Prinrcess Margaret, Sarah's mother as a wedding gift in 1960."

Thanks Warren. I knew that the brooches were a gift from Lord Snowden to PM for their wedding, and given Lady Sarah's lifestyle these items would be of more use to her than the Poltimore or lotus flower tiaras would have been.:)

Are Lady Sarah (or Lord Linley) even owned the "snowdon floral tiara" ?
Thank's in advence

The Sale of Princess Margaret's jewelry

Why would anyone sell a pair of child´s ivory bangles? Surely they had been worn by either Princess Margaret or an ancestor....shame on them. These would not make them rich for sure.....there are so many things it makes the mind boggle.

As discussed back in January 2009.

It is a great shame that these pieces went to the auction block. The Inheritance taxes would have been stiff, but another aspect, and a very expensive one, is what it would cost to insure all this material, which is an ongoing expense year after year after year.

Who knows why it was done. One last comment: Evidentally, these items weren't important to ERII, as she could have, most likely, stopped the sale of items with royal prov. She didn't do that, did she?

Has anyone ever seen a photo of PM's engagement ring? I can't find one.

I believe it belonged to Queen Mary who handed it down after her death. I believe Mary bought the tiara. I'm just speculating as I'm away from my books right now.

I believe it belonged to Queen Mary who handed it down after her death. I believe Mary bought the tiara. I'm just speculating as I'm away from my books right now.

I suspect the tiara is languishing in the royal vaults and has not been used since Margaret last used it.

I never knew Margaret wore that tiara. I think I've only seen pictures of Queen Mary wearing it. I think it should got to Countess Wessex - she's in desparate need of a respectable tiara!

As don't think there's a thread focusing on the jewels of Lady Sarah Chatto here's a photo of Sara at the wedding of Zara Phillips to Mike Tindall. Can anyone identify her jewels? I just assume they're inherited jewels from her mother Princess Margaret

http://i52.tinypic.com/mhbw3p.jpg

The earrings were her mother's and Sarah wore them on her wedding day.

http://i52.tinypic.com/5kpvuq.jpg

I couldn't agree more. I love the grand scale of this Tiara, but it makes me sad too that it isn't part of the Royal Family Jewels any loner, so sentimental!

thanks for the pictures of Margaret. She always looked at ease in all of her royal attire. As for Sarah she has found a way to modernize the jewelry and bring it into a more normal world.

She had a nice collection.Here is a picture of the Papyrus.And also,the Turquoise.My favorite is of course her wedding tiara!

I couldn't agree more. I love the grand scale of this Tiara, but it makes me sad too that it isn't part of the Royal Family Jewels any loner, so sentimental!

I guess the reasoning was that other than belonging to PM, the tiara really didn't have any prior royal provenance and wasn't of historical significance to the Royal Family so it was the better choice to sell this piece. But it's a shame since it's such a knockout of a tiara. I'll bet Serena, David's wife, could have worn it well.

Yesterday I found this photo of Princess Margaret wearing Queen Mary's sapphire and diamond bandeau (Link). This is the best photo of the bandeau I've seen so far.

And I have a question about the earrings. Are they all-diamonds or is there a coloured stone (a sapphire?) is middle. Any more recent photos of HRH wearing them would be appreciated.

Bobby

Looks like a colored stone in the center of the diamond earring.

Now that some time has passed since the sale of Princess Margaret's jewels, has it been determined who bought some of them?

I found this on the internet - one of my favorite pieces in the sale: Royal Ruby Ring - Versailles Collection - Rare & Exotic

The Queen Mother's official biography said she gave P. Margaret a ruby ring to mark the occasion of Lord Lindley's marriage (pg.898) and I thought this ring might be the one, but the descriptions of the provenance of the ring (which conflict) do not indicate that to be the case.

I suppose we will never know if the Queen bought back any of the pieces with royal provenance, such as the collet necklace or the diamond/sapphire brooch confirmation gift from Queen Mary.

:previous:
No, the only tiara put up for auction was the Poltimore.

Back
Top Bottom