The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-29-2019, 07:49 AM
Majesty

We have discussed these earrings at some length on this thread. Whilst no new facts appear to have surfaced, I so do hope these earrings were not borrowed from the jeweller, but instead, from a member of the BRF.

In the event that the earrings are indeed borrowed from a jeweller and even if she does not have access to any other jewellery from the BRF (which I am not sure about), she could well have used the earrings she wore for her wedding reception.

Old 01-29-2019, 08:30 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
In the event that the earrings are indeed borrowed from a jeweller and even if she does not have access to any other jewellery from the BRF (which I am not sure about), she could well have used the earrings she wore for her wedding reception.
We know she has Diana's butterfly earrings, and there must be some others.

Is there a rule that royals can't borrow? Or is it just a tradition that not everyone follows?

Beatrice and Eugenie borrow from designers, and Sophie once wore a borrowed tiara, so perhaps the rule is not all that rigid.

Old 01-29-2019, 09:00 AM
Heir Apparent

How did this come up again? I thought it was long discussed and settled?

And just to review again. We don’t know who she borrowed it from as the company never made a peep about it, which is odd if she borrowed from the jeweler. And other members of BRF have borrowed from jewelers.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:08 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
How did this come up again? I thought it was long discussed and settled?
The article says why it's come up again, a blogger had apparently identified where the jewels had come from. Meghans Mirror is the blog in question and here is their identification of the earrings:

Butani Large Diamond Drop Earrings
Old 01-29-2019, 09:25 AM
Courtier

So Daily Fail is not only spreading inaccurate, but also outdated "news" now? Well I am not surprised, that's why I choose to ignore anything come from this so called ridiculous "press"...
Old 01-29-2019, 09:29 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Is there a rule that royals can't borrow? Or is it just a tradition that not everyone follows?
There is no rule, but it is not common practice in the BRF.

My view is that the senior royals have enough jewellery, and they do not and should not need to borrow jewellery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Beatrice and Eugenie borrow from designers, and Sophie once wore a borrowed tiara, so perhaps the rule is not all that rigid.
I know it is a common assumptiuon, but I don't know if it has ever been confirmed by BP that Sophie's tiara was borrowed from a jeweller. It could well have been a previously unseen piece from HM's collection.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:31 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.Y.CII View Post
So Daily Fail is not only spreading inaccurate, but also outdated "news" now? Well I am not surprised, that's why I choose to ignore anything come from this so called ridiculous "press"...
I don't see how it's inaccurate as frankly nothing has been denied by anyone. In the images posted which I have just gone back to look at, it's quite clear the earrings are very similar, if not identical. It would be hard to get the exact same setting of very similar jewels, that just happen to look like the ones Butani made in 2016.

My question would be why is Meghan being loaned jewellery a; at all and b; from a collection 2 years ago.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:52 AM
Courtier

I think it has been discussed before, to me the most reasonable assumption would be it is a loan from Camilla (or Kate?) rather than directly from the jeweler.

BTW I don't think borrowing piece is a big deal as long as they borrow the right thing for the right occasion when it is needed.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:25 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.Y.CII View Post
BTW I don't think borrowing piece is a big deal as long as they borrow the right thing for the right occasion when it is needed.
I think it's frowned on because it makes the royal into a shill for a certain designer.
Even if the designer says nothing, sooner or later the item will be identified, as they are well-aware.

Besides, the Queen owns a vast collection of jewels (although who is allowed to use it is a different story!)
Old 01-31-2019, 10:34 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Meghan is wearing her Dean Davidson earrings today which are repeats most recently from her visit to The Mayhew:
Today: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DyPtQIYW0AYbfpR.jpg

Previous: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DyPwUnCXcAAPw1a.jpg
Old 01-31-2019, 10:58 PM
Aristocracy

I think Queen Elizabeth II is quite wrong to not pool the jewellery more. The royal ladies pool the jewellery in Norway, Sweden, the Netherlands, Luxembourg, Spain and Liechtenstein and I presume it would be pooled more in Monaco if Princess Charlène would wear the Grimaldi and Princess Grace ice. Therefore, I am sympathetic if the Duchess of Sussex felt any need to borrow from a top jeweller. Lastly, when are we going to see Lady Di's Crown Prince Fahd sapphires, her pearls, gold wristwatch and her other sapphires from the Gulf?
Old 02-01-2019, 12:26 AM
Serene Highness

Yes, I'm waiting to see more official photo shoots of Meghan in a beautiful gown wearing jewels and a tiara, and also formal pictures of the Duke & Duchess together. It seems there's not a lot of formal photo shoots being done these days by the royals.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:25 PM
Serene Highness

I think the ring Meghan wore to the Endeavour Awards ceremony is gorgeous. Below is a close-up view. It's by Ecksand Cirque -- a light-colored ruby ring with diamonds from an ethical Canadian jewelry brand:
Ecksand Cirque Ruby Ring - Meghan's Mirror

And the earrings Meghan wore:
http://www.meghansmirror.com/wp-cont...m-diamonds.jpg close-up
Vanessa Tugendhaft Precious Earrings; clover-shaped; rose gold cross pattern with diamonds
Vanessa Tugendhaft Precious Earrings - Meghan's Mirror

DoS Meghan wears such delicate, beautifully-detailed and elegant, usually minimalist jewelry.