Duchess of Cambridge Jewellery 2: December 2011 - December 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A £49,000 Cartier necklace is a 'jeans and jacket' thing? I'm not so sure.

:previous: LOL, that's OK. The jewelry collection was introduced in 1924. I like it too, and I was introduced in 1947!

I think you're right. In photos it looked like a piece of costume jewelry - until I saw the Cartier website, and then said, "whoa." it does belong with jeans/jacket (high end) or with an LBD. Not an office dress.

I dont think rules apply anymore. I remember being told when young that diamonds were for evening wear but HMQ trots out the diamonds and pearls everyday. Grannie's chips for church no less. I think the style of Catherine's neckalce was appropriate for the occasion, looked good with the dress, and the majority would probably agree. It's the price that's knocked us sideways. This is the woman who wore fake pearls to the St Pauls service :confused:

What I find odd is the way the press itemizes the cost of every single thing Kate wears!

Why? They don't do this with other royal women; I don't believe they generally did this with Diana either.

When Diana was alive (a) most of her clothes were bespoke and designers had discretion and (b) no internet where you can find out the cost of everything now.

They aren't interested in other royals.

What really hissed me off today was a couple of articles saying (sarcastically) - so, no more high street princess! It was the papers that called her that in the first place - grrrr

Who cares how much it cost! At least she is wearing real jewelry. The trinity collection is wonderful.

I don't understand what the fuss is about either. It's not like the necklace was bought with the public's taxes. I understand that the economy is horrid, bu that shouldn't mean that those who have the funds shouldn't indulge once in a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
First we gripe about her not wearing enough sparkles now when she steps out a little we are griping again.... Too funny.

EIIR in that world it's not a lot of money so yes jeans and jacket....

cepe said:
I dont think rules apply anymore. I remember being told when young that diamonds were for evening wear but HMQ trots out the diamonds and pearls everyday. Grannie's chips for church no less. I think the style of Catherine's neckalce was appropriate for the occasion, looked good with the dress, and the majority would probably agree. It's the price that's knocked us sideways. This is the woman who wore fake pearls to the St Pauls service :confused:

The no diamonds in the daytime rule applies to diamond necklaces and hair ornaments. Diamond Brooches are eminently acceptable for the daytime. Also if the occasion is a celebration such as a wedding or jubilee jewellery is required!

The no diamonds in the daytime rule applies to diamond necklaces and hair ornaments. Diamond Brooches are eminently acceptable for the daytime. Also if the occasion is a celebration such as a wedding or jubilee jewellery is required!

I think that is another fashion rule that has been discarded (like the one about not wearing white after Labor Day).

Now, anything goes, and I think that's wonderful. Who needs these silly restrictions? I say that If you own something that looks great, wear it anytime!

I think that is another fashion rule that has been discarded (like the one about not wearing white after Labor Day).

Now, anything goes, and I think that's wonderful. Who needs these silly restrictions? I say that If you own something that looks great, wear it anytime!

I think it depends on the piece of jewelry and the occassion. Diamond necklaces such as those owned by the Queen at an event like a walk about in Liverpool would be ridiculous.
Generally the rules of no diamonds for day events still applies in polite society. Now for a Khardashian or a Hilton or other celebutante the rules probably never existed

Simple diamond necklaces ( a heart of diamonds or a daisy diamond or a pendent) is suitable for daytime. A diamond chain worn long or 2-3 times wrapped around the neck is also fine. Wearing a simple necklace is like wearing diamond earnings IMO. Some might think it is quite a bit especially worn by the Duchess as we are not use to her wearing them.

Simple diamond necklaces ( a heart of diamonds or a daisy diamond or a pendent) is suitable for daytime. A diamond chain worn long or 2-3 times wrapped around the neck is also fine. Wearing a simple necklace is like wearing diamond earnings IMO. Some might think it is quite a bit especially worn by the Duchess as we are not use to her wearing them.

I think that most of the time Catherine's jewelry goes very well with what she's wearing, probably because a lot of her pieces are simple and versatile. Like you, I think it's completely acceptable to wear a simple diamond necklace/earrings during the day. Of course there are definitely pieces available that are only suitable at a black tie event, but I would think that anyone with any common sense would be able to tell the difference. and wear it when appropriate (and as someone pointed out, this doesn't apply to the likes of Paris Hilton and the Khardashians, who have the tendency to make their own rules, and walk out almost always looking like tramps with no taste whatsoever).

I don't think Catherine has the stature or presence to carry off alot of jewelry. She's smart to stick with less is more.

LaRae

I believe Catherine has the stature to wear an impressive array of jewellery; it just depends on the pieces she wears.

When Diana was alive (a) most of her clothes were bespoke and designers had discretion and (b) no internet where you can find out the cost of everything now.
Reporters have always been reporting on the money women in the public eye spend on clothes, internet or no internet. When Diana would wear something, a Trinity gold ring on her pinky for example, the cost of that was reported. Anything not "custom", clothes or jewelry, could be researched and reported.
When Jackie Kennedy was First Lady, there were reams of copy speculating on her clothing, millinery and jewelry budget. As long as anything wasn't "off the rack", it all remained speculation.
DOC makes it too easy for the reporters when she buys "non" custom jewels and clothing

Last edited:
Those are the same earrings she wore to jubilee concert. I wrote to Kiki McDonough, maybe those are her design?

Olympics Opening Ceremony

v thumbnail cropped from larger image and not subject to copyright

Attachments

• DOC Olympics Opening.jpg
    DOC Olympics Opening.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 203
I know, jewelry forum, but William's eyes look like saphires in that photo!

His eyes are a lovely shade of blue, and in that shot they do look like sapphires. Catherine's earrings are cute. Very appropriate for the occasion.

First we gripe about her not wearing enough sparkles now when she steps out a little we are griping again.... Too funny.
;) That is exactly what I thought reading all the negative comments here.

They are a bespoke piece for Kate by one of her favourite jewellers Kiki McDonough according to reports

Yes, I received confirmation from Kiki, they are with diamonds (top part) and blue topazes (bottom), and they are not available to buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom