The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-23-2014, 08:03 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

I have been surprised we have not seen the Australian wattle brooch loaned on Kate. I thought when the Queen loaned the fern brooch for NZ we would see the wattle then in OZ. Though maybe during the last 2 days in Canberra especially on ANZAC day it will make an apperance

Old 04-23-2014, 08:24 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessofEurope View Post
I have been surprised we have not seen the Australian wattle brooch loaned on Kate. I thought when the Queen loaned the fern brooch for NZ we would see the wattle then in OZ. Though maybe during the last 2 days in Canberra especially on ANZAC day it will make an apperance
Frankly, I am not too surprised. Camilla did not use the brooch when she visited in 2012.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Well, we did get a brooch on ANZAC Day, I understand it was a gift. Unfortunately it is more often obscured by her hair.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-g3ZFg8raDx...jdsZ5qgxPx.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-WvROgcsJmy...Jrpwnxrelx.jpg
Old 04-25-2014, 10:00 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Well, we did get a brooch on ANZAC Day, I understand it was a gift. Unfortunately it is more often obscured by her hair.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-g3ZFg8raDx...jdsZ5qgxPx.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-WvROgcsJmy...Jrpwnxrelx.jpg

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter Apr 24
KP: Kate's poppy brooch was given to her last night by Emma, the wife of Corporal Ben Roberts-Smith, one of three Australian VC holders.

It was a very nice brooch and very nice of Emma to give Catherine the brooch.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 04-25-2014, 11:51 PM

I think the duchess downplayed the jewelry and accessories for ANZAC day because the day was a solemn reflection and honoring of the people who made the ultimate sacrifice. She didn't want to be in the spotlight with jewels and such
Old 04-26-2014, 07:05 AM
Heir Apparent

Ah, no! The brooch is a Poppy which is the standard for ANZAC Day and worn in it's various forms by Australians and New Zealanders pretty well anywhere in the world on April 25. So for her to wear it was not inappropriate. Not only was it correct but, when you consider where it came from, it was totally de rigueur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman
Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter Apr 24
KP: Kate's poppy brooch was given to her last night by Emma, the wife of Corporal Ben Roberts-Smith, one of three Australian VC holders.
Bye the bye, when I was referring to Catherine wearing jewellery it was throughout the New Zealand and Australian tour and not specific to ANZAC Day.
Old 04-26-2014, 07:35 AM
Royal Highness

Duchess of Cambridge Jewellery 2: December 2011 -

I agree the appearance of the NZ fern brooch seemed to herald an appearance of the Wattle, particularly as Kate had worn the Maple leaf brooch on her visit to Canada. I can't think of a more appropriate occasion for it to make an appearance than a visit such as this, particularly as the Queen is very unlikely to visit Australia again. I wish we were able to know a little more about HM 's thinking about her jewels . Does someone hold a post who advises HM on her collection ? I remember seeing an interview with a lady in waiting (?) when she explained there is a record of the jewels worn for each occasion so that they can plan for up and coming events. Oh to be a fly on the wall!
Old 04-26-2014, 08:24 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elly C View Post
I agree the appearance of the NZ fern brooch seemed to herald an appearance of the Wattle, particularly as Kate had worn the Maple leaf brooch on her visit to Canada. I can't think of a more appropriate occasion for it to make an appearance than a visit such as this, particularly as the Queen is very unlikely to visit Australia again. I wish we were able to know a little more about HM 's thinking about her jewels . Does someone hold a post who advises HM on her collection ? I remember seeing an interview with a lady in waiting (?) when she explained there is a record of the jewels worn for each occasion so that they can plan for up and coming events. Oh to be a fly on the wall!
It occurred to me that the fern brooch is all of a piece - that is, iy is substantial. The wattle is more ethereal and as such travels less well. As we learned that George is a "grabber: at this point, the fern seemed a safe bet just now whereas some wise head might have had the thought that the wattle might be more prone to needing repairs.

I understand that the Duchess could have put the pin on last thing and avoided any issue with grabbing fingers. But she and the Duke do seem the type to hug George as they run out the door.
Finally, I think it possible that the Wattle came along on the trip and that the last minute gift of the poppy changed things up. For the Cambridges it would almost seem to be providence steeping in and showing that duty trumps sparkly bits in people's hearts.
Mind you, I realize that I have too active an imagination and spend too much time thinking about sparkly bits, a family I don't really know and the service of country. It's just me being goofy and dreamy.
It was a fun trip.
“The two important things I did learn were that you are as powerful and strong as you allow yourself to be, and that the most difficult part of any endeavor is taking the first step, making the first decision"Robyn Davidson
Old 04-26-2014, 06:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Now the Wattle on ANZAC Day would have definitely been a show stopper and, as such, totally inappropriate.

However, thinking about it, I believe the silver fern and the poppy had the advantage of being 'plain' pieces where her hair could just slide over. An intricate diamond peice would have tangled up in her hair . . . ouch, and then of course, there's George . . .
Old 04-26-2014, 11:10 PM
Heir Apparent

I agree that wearing the Wattle on ANZAC Day would have been too much of an attention grabber and as such should not be the focus of that occasion. The poppy brooch Kate wore was more appropriate and a wiser choice. And as far as her hair tangling in the Wattle's diamonds, the only solution would be to wear it up or in a ponytail. That would also display that gorgeous brooch to perfection!
Old 04-27-2014, 01:25 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
It occurred to me that the fern brooch is all of a piece - that is, iy is substantial. The wattle is more ethereal and as such travels less well. As we learned that George is a "grabber: at this point, the fern seemed a safe bet just now whereas some wise head might have had the thought that the wattle might be more prone to needing repairs.

I understand that the Duchess could have put the pin on last thing and avoided any issue with grabbing fingers. But she and the Duke do seem the type to hug George as they run out the door.
Finally, I think it possible that the Wattle came along on the trip and that the last minute gift of the poppy changed things up.. For the Cambridges it would almost seem to be providence steeping in and showing that duty trumps sparkly bits in people's hearts.
Mind you, I realize that I have too active an imagination and spend too much time thinking about sparkly bits, a family I don't really know and the service of country. It's just me being goofy and dreamy.
It was a fun trip.
This was what crossed my mind. The Wattle did come along, but then the gift of the Poppy brooch took place the night before and it was decided considering what the day's events were, the Poppy was chosen instead. Just like everyone else, I have no idea if that's actually what happened, but it is quite possible.

I just hope we get to see it worn again in the future for Veteran's Events/Remembrance Sunday, as it really is a lovely piece and also appropriate for such events as well. Sophie always wears a Canadian Poppy and Camilla has that crocheted or tatted one she's worn in the past, so it wouldn't surprise me to see it on Kate in the Future for such events.

Considering all of the various Commemorative Events about to take place the next few years w/the Centenary of WWI and respective Battles it spawned, that brooch very well could be seen pretty often.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:42 AM
Royal Highness

I did have another awful thought - perhaps the Wattle brooch got damaged just before the service !
Old 04-27-2014, 02:44 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elly C View Post
I did have another awful thought - perhaps the Wattle brooch got damaged just before the service !

I think it's more likely that she just didn't bring it. Possibly it's not to her taste.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:44 AM
Courtier

CAMBRIDGE CONFIDENTIAL: Wills's precious maternity gift to Kate. Her £6,000 hairdos. George's VERY exclusive baby food... the intimate secrets of a glorious Royal Tour | Mail Online

Quote:
The Duke and Duchess may not celebrate their third wedding anniversary until Tuesday, but romantic Wills is well ahead of the curve: he presented Kate with a stunning wristwatch weeks before they went on tour. Kate adores the stylish stainless steel £3,600 Ballon Bleu de Cartier watch, which is embedded with a sapphire stone to match her Princess Diana engagement ring, and made sure she wore it every day of the tour.
Attached Images

Old 05-30-2014, 08:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Here's a nice closeup of the Celtic brooch the Countess of Strathearn wore in Scotland. It's a very pretty piece.
Old 05-30-2014, 11:22 PM
Serene Highness

I know I'm going to get bashed for this. But, with all the beautiful jewels left by her late mother-in-law, she's wearing this stuff? I would think it would be an honor to wear some of Diana's things, even reset or styled differently. Am I the only one who finds this strange?

Old 05-31-2014, 12:41 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchessmary View Post
I know I'm going to get bashed for this. But, with all the beautiful jewels left by her late mother-in-law, she's wearing this stuff? I would think it would be an honor to wear some of Diana's things, even reset or styled differently. Am I the only one who finds this strange?

I don't find it strange at all. I don't think Kate is as particular about wearing a lot of jewelry and when she does, its understated. When she does wear diamonds, she wears her own which probably has more meaning to her.
Old 05-31-2014, 12:44 AM
Courtier

Diana's jewelry may not be to her taste...different era also. Kate hasn't had near the opportunity to wear some of the bigger/fancier pieces. Diana was the wife of the heir. Kate is the wife of the heir's son.

LaRae
Old 05-31-2014, 04:24 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchessmary View Post

Perhaps they are waiting until Harry is married to divide Diana's Jewels.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 05-31-2014, 06:07 AM
Courtier

More on brooch:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...levant_count=1