Duchess of Cambridge Jewellery 1: April-December 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just browsing through one of the British Jewels of the past threads and came across the Teck Circlet (or circle) necklace...
The Teck Diamond Circlet was given to The Queen Mother by Queen Mary. She wore it once as a headpiece and then it disappeared. She later gave it to Princess Margaret as a gift.

While no one can be sure at the present time, the necklace likely remains with Lady Sarah or Viscount Linley. I see no particular reason why The Queen might have claimed it belonged to the Royal Collection, especially since the Kents auctioned off Queen Mary's Cambridge sapphires, which also came from The Duchess of Teck.

Last edited by a moderator:
The diamond wedding earrings are a gift from her parents - they look lovely and delicate
:previous:
I agree,

I love them .... very elegant and a lovely idea to include parts of the new family crest !!!

I also adored the elegant and understated necklace that her Mother Carole wore, it too included an Acorn from the family crest !!!
;)

I do think that Kate has probably only been given access to a few pieces to start with, and will probably receive more in the years to come. Another reason may well be that, not having had access to much real jewellery previously, she may slowly be getting comfortable with a few pieces before she starts to use more. Watch this space, I think the girl has potential!
I agree. As she moves on in her Royal Role, she will no doubt want to wear different pieces, if for no other reason than we all do ...'for a change'!!!

*** I haven't read all 25 pages .. so apologise if this has already been said *** ...

I look forward to seeing the beautifu sapphire & diamond pendant, (that Diana had added to a pearl choker), again.
It was beautiful and matched her engagement ring superbly!
I wonder if Harry's wife will get it to use, or Williams - or if they share it??

My thoughts: I think Catherine might be a bit uneasy picking and choosing from her late mother in law's collection, not wanting to be compared to her. Like the sapphire earrings we've seen recently I think she will choose some pieces and maybe have them re-set or re-styled. I think already having Diana's ring, she doesn't want to rush into her "trove". :)

...although Clarence House, KP and indeed every other palace are all closely guarded etc, all Royal Jewels are kept in locked boxes in locked palace strongrooms...I am pretty sure that there is no strongroom at their rented house in North Wales!]
You've got some valid points about Catherine's difficulty in safeguarding jewels under her present living arrangements in Wales and her current status as a part-time royal not requiring many jewels at this point, but perhaps when they're in London for official engagements she can remove these jewels from the vaults, wear them and then return them for safekeeping when unneeded. I certainly wouldn't want to try to store them at the farmhouse in Wales either! I think most of us are just hoping that as the couple increases their visibility in the public eye, especially next year for the Queen's Jubilee and more trips overseas, Catheine will also increase her usage of gems, especially from Diana's collection. I know there are some beautiful sapphire/diamond bracelets that the late Princess wore that might be to Catherine's taste. And, of course, that glorious sapphire and diamond pearl choker! But, who knows, do you think that's too closely associated with Diana as is the Cambridge Lovers' Knot tiara for her to wear in the near future?

But, who knows, do you think that's too closely associated with Diana as is the Cambridge Lovers' Knot tiara for her to wear in the near future?
I think that Kate being given Diana's engagement ring means that any further items previously worn by Diana is not an issue.

I hope that in the future we see Catherine wearing more of the stunning jewellery that is hidden away in several vaults ( as the occasion demands). I don't think her wearing any of Diana's jewellery is a problem, in fact I think Diana would be pleased IMHO

Yes, they may be "Diana's jewels" but they are now also royal heirlooms. Rather than languishing in the vaults for a couple of decades or more there's no reason why they shouldn't be worn. Anyone who feared that Catherine would somehow fade under the shadow of Diana cast by the engagement ring should be dissuaded of that idea by now. In a very short time she's proved to be her own person and wearing some jewellery previously owned by her husband's late mother won't change that.

Believe me, I'm a strong proponent of using these jewels rather than hiding them away because of comparisons and fear of overshadowing by prior wearers. If you had that mindset with all the royal jewels, then no piece would ever get worn again! Catherine should wear whatever she's entitled to, and I certainly look forward to seeing these dazzling sparklers once more.

I'm wondering if the ring was really a choice for Kate. I mean, the guy presents it, you're not going to say anything. Especially the ring - so much energy in that piece worn for such a long time in recent times. I'd think twice before wearing my mother-in-law's rings. But that's me.

Hi.

i bet a dime to a donut that her and william have talked about getting engaged and the ring he wanted to give her more than once in the last 8 years. the actual day and how he actually ask was the surprise. i bet she knew years ago the ring would be hers. if my mother in law had a ring to be proud of, and my husband asked me to wear it(assuming she is dead) i would be honored to wear it.

Ayvee, you are right . This then shows how close Catherine and Camilla are.
I agree with you & This is wonderful to see!
I think the bracelet with one charm looks lovely, and is indicative of the relationship shared by these two women, which is also lovely.
She won't be wearing Tiara's everyday, so why shouldn't she wear 'less fomal' & comfortable pieces?
I look forward to seeing more of her jewellery.
I'd love to know what other pieces she may have been given and by whom? (but I'm just being a sticky beak here!! hee hee:lol:)

I concur with those who think that there should be no difficulty with Catherine wearing Diana's jewellery. As Warren so correctly says, Diana's pieces are royal heirlooms. I do however sometimes detect that some people are a little uncomfortable with Catherine wearing too much of Diana's jewellery, and indeed, I have read comments in the press from people who felt it was a little, well, 'creepy' for Catherine to be given Diana's engagement ring, both because of the unhappy marriage of Charles and Diana and also the slight unease the some people felt with William's statement that he wanted his mother too to be part of the engagement...........

In my very humble opinion, one way out of this dilemma is to 'empahise' the fact that Diana's jewels are now royal heirlooms by 'diluting' them with some historic pieces given to Catherine by the Queen. If times were not so hard in the UK right now, I would also have liked William to have commissioned one or two really lovely pieces for Catherine.

A fruther thought: this afternoon, as I came home from work past some of our 'High Street' shops, another though occurred to me about why Catherine has not been wearing too many 'statement pieces', by which I mean 'really ROYAL jewels' and it is this: one very major difference to me between Catherine and the two previous 'significant' Royal brides, i.e. Diana and Fergie is this: Catherine's 'formal royal' wardrobe still relies very heavily on pieces of High Street stores: yes, Catherine certainly has been wearing Designer gowns, but as we saw on her American / Canadian tour, Catherine wore some 'High Street' pieces alongside her designer pieces whist undertaking formal engagements.

And then look at her 'going away' outfit when she and William departed BP by helicopter after their wedding night: a very 'High Street' outfit, whereas Diana from memory left for Waterloo Station in a designer piece by Bellville Sassoon. Diana certainly owned 'High Street' pieices - for example, a lot of her knitwear came from High Sreet Store Benetton - but for her formal royal duties she almost exclusively wore Designer and very often Couture pieces...

Now let me stress that I actually think that it is very commendable that Catherine wears pieces from the High Street [ a very tactful move considering there is a recession on as well] but I suppose it could look a bit incongruous to wear an almost priceless piece of Royal 'Statement' Jewellery with a Reiss frock that costs just £122. [I thought of this as I walked past Reiss on the way home - in its window it is displaying its Sale stock and although none of the items on sale are pieces that Catherine has actually bought, the window is full the very same distinctive house style. Indeed many of the pieces that Catherine has bought from that particular store are not even made from very 'luxurious' fabrics, despite the store's CEO maintaing that all the store's clothes are 'affordable luxury': Catherine's dresses from Reiss are often 100% synthetic, not even a silk mix or the sort of light summer wool fabrics favoured by Diana. Polyester and Priceless Platinum set Saphires could be a bit of a difficult mix!

Just my thoughts,

Alex

Last edited:
Mixing various historic pieces from the "jewel pool" is certainly a good idea. I had also heard/read similar comments and reactions about Kate wearing that engagement ring in addition to a possible appearance of the famous Cambridge Lovers Knot tiara. For me, though, I really look forward to seeing once again the beautiful jewelry worn by the late Princess only because they haven't been seen for quite awhile, they shouldn't vegetate in the vaults from disuse, and it would be a pleasure to see them worn again by a lovely young woman. Of course, that doesn't mean Catherine should wear only these pieces and nothing else. To wear a mixed bag of gems would also give the rest of us opportunities to see more wonderful goodies revealed from the vaults. But to see that wonderful sapphire and diamond pearl choker again....:wub:

As far as new pieces commissioned for Catherine, do we know if the earrings she wore to the concert in Canada and to Zara's wedding was a new item or something from the vaults?

It could also be that Harry has some of these pieces and we won't see them until he has a bride. Catherine will have access to a lot more pieces then she will. I also think Catherine's style is simple and she isn't comfortable wearing big statement pieces of jewelry. So far she hasn't had that many evening events to wear anything major too. In time her wardrobe may change I think it is good that she is being mindful about money but there will come a time when she will need more designer dresses. For the moment she wants to be a wife and there is no push on her to do many royal duties unlike Diana who was doing them pretty much from day 1. I think it is a good thing that Kate has been given time to adjust we will just all need to be patient. In time we will see the jewels probably some from Diana and some from the Queen. You are right the clothes she wears just doesn't fit with really expensive jewelry it would take away from the dress and show it up. I also don't think Kate is a very jewelry kind of girl!

*** I haven't read all 25 pages .. so apologise if this has already been said *** ...

I look forward to seeing the beautifu sapphire & diamond pendant, (that Diana had added to a pearl choker), again.

It was beautiful and matched her engagement ring superbly!

I wonder if Harry's wife will get it to use, or Williams - or if they share it??

I thought Camilla was seen wearing the pearl/sapphire choker (re-styled) as a broach....

MM

It could also be that Harry has some of these pieces and we won't see them until he has a bride...
Yes, Harry may very well have some of these pieces so we'd have to wait until he acquires a bride. Kate's taste doesn't seem to run to that type of jewelry, at least now in her current position and situation. We've seen what her preference is like. However, I do hope that as she eases into her role, she'll start wearing more of the statement pieces - but not necessarily large ones if they don't suit her. After all, tastes can change and develop with more maturity, and she might also develop a fashion style that enhances the jewelry. Who knows...only time will tell; certainly not my crystal ball!:)

.......... Another thought to add to this discussion......
Maybe...
When The Duchess of Cambridge, (The wife of the heir to the heir), becomes The Princess of Wales, (The wife of the heir), and her Royal duties increase, she may have a need of more Jewels and we'll get to see some wonderful pieces again!
Just a late night thought!;)

I thought Camilla was seen wearing the pearl/sapphire choker (re-styled) as a broach....

MM
Once again, Diana's personal (non royal) jewels were left to her sons!!!!!

Once again, Diana's personal (non royal) jewels were left to her sons!!!!!

Ok...did I say they weren't? I do not have a list of Diana's personal and non-personal jewelry. I'm sorry you are frustrated about the issue but you don't have to get impatient about it.

MM

It seems there is a necklace "floating" around that can be mistaken for Diana's choker as I have seen it in pictures. It would be interesting to see them side by side in order to note the difference.

The only similarities the chokers have are in the fact that they are both pearl chokers with large central stones. Diana's was a sapphire, Camilla's is a victorian pink topaz.

:previous:Thank you, thank you, I have not been able to tell what the larger stone was in Camilla's choker. In any event, they are both lovely pieces of jewelry.

I have a bit of new speculation to pass on! Obviously, it is speculation only, but I thought that I would post it here:

On Saturday, I went racing at Ascot. This was of course NOT Royal Ascot, and not even King George Day [often known as 'Diamond Day', when there is usually a good royal presence, this year being Harry!] but just a 'Summer Family Fun Day' event whilst the Shergar Cup was held. In other words, an ordinary race meeting where no Royals were present.

However, although the day was very 'democratic' in nature, a number of 'Royal Ascot' 'regulars' who were racing fans were there, and I was delighted to bump into an aquaintance who has her 'ear to the ground' about Royal matters, having attended various royal events.

It is her considered view that although Harry and William allegedly have been given Diana's personal jewellery, Harry has apparently got 'the lion's share' based on what several forum members have astutely already observed here - namely that Catherine is going to be Queen in due course and will therefore eventually get to wear ['inherit' is the wrong word to be strictly accurate because we are talking about Crown property] a breathtaking array of Royal jewels. Indeed, there are a good number of pieces that we never see because the Queen has got so much to wear. The idea of making sure that 'the spare' gets a goodly amount of inheritance is of course not a new concept; as my friend pointed out on Saturday, although Royal wills are of course private, it is apparently an open secret that the Queen Mother left a generous legacy to Harry [as well as bequests to other 'minor royals' but apparently nothing very much to William, NOT because she loved her great grandson any the less but simply because she was thinking practically.]

Apparently there is also a reluctance for the Queen now to pass on many pieces of jewellery [i.e. as Gifts ] in the short term - although she is prepared to be generous about LOANING things instead - and that my friend believes that both William and Harry will have been counselled to consider excercising similar 'cautious thinking' with regard to the most important of Diana's pieces. [i.e. not giving much outright initially to their brides.] Apparently this caution dates right back to the early days of the marriage of Sarah Ferguson - the Queen reputedly did not want to give Sarah any Royal pieces 'in case there was difficulty in getting them back'. I had indeed heard this comment reported before, but until Saturday, it appears that I had ENTIRELY MISUNDERSTOOD it: I had thought that the reference to 'getting it back' referred to the divorce of Andrew and Sarah, but in fact it turns out I was completely wrong, and I could have worked it out for myself if I had thought it through carefully. Read on!:-

The REAL reason for the Queen making the statement was apparently NOTHING to do with the divorce between Andrew and Sarah because - as I should have worked out - at the time the Queen made the statement, Sarah and Andrew were happily married. Apparently, the 'not getting it back' statement by the Queen was made because at that time [1986] behind the scenes the marriage of DIANA and Charles was causing GREAT concern behind closed BP doors, and Diana had of course been given several VERY IMPORTANT Royal pieces by the Queen on her marriage, and although to the British Public the idea of a ROYAL divorce of Charles and Diana would have seemed impossible [back in 1986 I had heard rumours of Diana and Charles' alleged marital unhappiness and indeed several of the papers had beeen hinting this, sometimes quite strongly, too, in the case of some of the tabloids, but the idea of the heir to the throne divorcing would have been impossible for me to contemplate.............] The reason why I failed to equate the statement with Charles and Diana was of course that although the Queen made it in 1986, it was not reported in the media until some years later, by which time Andrew and Sarah were undergoing their own marital difficulties and I thought that the Queen had been referring to Sarah's marital split....

In other words, The Queen however, although no doubt desperately hoping that all would be well with the marriage of Andrew and Sarah, was nevertheless taking precautions to safeguard the possibility of marital discord and possible ownership disputes of historic royal pieces. And as events showed, the Queen was very wise to be thinking of ' ALL OPTIONS' in relation to Andrew and Sarah's marriage!!

The point therefore is that although back in 1986 there was no disharmony between Andrew and Sarah, Sarah nevertheless was the first Royal Bride to be given no ROYAL jewels [keen Royal watchers here will presumably remember over the years that up to and including the marriage of Diana and Charles, over the previous decades brides marrying into the BRF had received some quite significant Royal jewels....]

Whilst I am sure we are all agreed that Catherine seems the perfect bride for William, the amount of Royal Divorces since the 1970's might well make the Queen think long and hard about things.... Incidentally, this might well mean that the Queen might herself give Catherine some good personal pieces and indeed my friend thinks that the Queen and Duke of Edinbugh might ALREADY have given Catherine some valuable jewellery for a wedding present. After all, HM did give Sarah a lovely diamond suite on her wedding... [not that Catherine has had much need to wear any wedding present gift jewellery that she might have received....]

Lastly, my friend thinks that one VERY important piece of jewellery that Catherine might well receive before too long is the gift of the Royal Family Order. Whilst the trend is for Catherine to be doing minimal engagements at the moment, my friend points out that as next year is Diamond Jubilee Year, there are bound to be white tie banquets at which Catherine will be appearing, and it is apparently inconceivable that she would be the only royal lady appearing at such State events WITHOUT the Royal Family Odrer. So, Catherine's Royal Family Order, here we come!

Could I close by saying that this is just the speculation of my friend, but she is well connected and I would not be surprised if she was right.

Hope some of this is of interest

Alex

PS, we also spoke about Sarah Duchess of York , but that more properly belongs on another thread. A.

Last edited:
Interesting speculations from your friend, dear Diarist. It would suit HM's nature to be highly practical and logical to loan out pieces from the collection at first given past marital history in the RF; I never thought Catherine should be gifted outright with royal jewels belonging to the Crown because you never know what might happen even though we may perceive William and Kate to be very much in love and highly suitable for each other. It would be also a good idea to maintain that same principle in the matter of Diana's personal collection. It is too soon. But given her current situation and position, I'm sure Kate is entitled to dip into the royal collection for loaners sanctioned by the Queen, but not receive them outright at this point. Fortunately, there doesn't seem to be any rush for gifting because she doesn't appear to be much of a jewel person and there's no need for many gems at this time. As you say, she probably received many personal jewels from her parents-in-law, the Queen and the DoE (which I hope we'll see as well). But with all the many formal occasions for the Diamond Jubilee Year, I do hope that we see Catherine dipping into the Royal treasure chest and avail herself of some nice loaner pieces. And maybe wearing the Scroll tiara on her dainty head?:whistling:

In the matter of the Royal Family Order, I believe that is Crown property and not a personal gift, right? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
The Royal Family Order is in fact in the personal gift of the Queen.

As you will no doubt know, it is for women only and consists of a minature potrait set with diamonds and suspended on a ribbon.

Rather interestingly, there is never an announcement that the Queen has made one of the Royal Ladies a member of her Fanily Order. The only way to find out is to wait for a State Banquet or similar white tie affair [i.e. at which Tiaras and Decorations are worn] and see which of the Royal Family Ladies is wearing the order...

Interestingly, Catherine apart [because she is too recently a member of the BRF] the only two 'recent' Royal Ladies not to have received the RF Order were Fergie [which suggests to me that the BRF became worried rather sooner than we might think about Sarah's suitability for her Royal Role] and Princess Michael of Kent. [the omission in Princess Michael's case is often served up as 'evidence' by some Royal Watchers that the Queen really does not like Princess Michael]

Hope this helps

Alex

Last edited:
:previous:Thank you for the clarification; I was under the misconception that a royal order reverted back to the crown upon death or divorce and that it wasn't part of a lady's personal collection.

I recall that the Duchess of Cornwall and the Countess of Wessex just appeared at events wearing the RF order without prior announcement. As far as Sarah not receiving the Royal Order, HM's antennae was working properly, and for Princess Michael....ouch!!:eek:

Last edited:
Thank you for that Diarist. It makes sense that Harry's future wife would get the most benefit from Diana's jewels it is what I thought would be appropriate. Catherine will have access to far more then she ever would. Glad Catherine is getting the Order and I am surprised that Sarah didn't. I guess her novalty wore off pretty quickly to not receive it. Can't wait to read in the correct thread what else you know about Sarah. I think we will see Catherine in more jewels and I am hoping another tiara besides the Halo it isn't exactly my favourite it just doesn't really sparkle and seems too small for so much hair. Looking forward to next year already!

here is a replica of the royal order, it is worn on the left shoulder.

Attachments

• royal order.jpg
    royal order.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 212
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom