Duchess of Cambridge Jewellery 1: April-December 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I, for one, say global recession be D@&^ed! The jewels being discussed are not new, some of them are 5th generation (or 4th, I'm no expert on whose was what). As for wearing the jewels: Kate is not a "girl" and hasn't been one for about 10 years.

You said it KittyAtlanta!!! Princess Diana was a shy young thing but she learned how to sport some serious statement pieces, I so hope Kate does this as well!!

Agree 100% with you both, KittyAtlanta and Rubies! Kate needs to avail herself of the royal treasure trove. If we can't wear them, then surely let's derive some pleasure from her doing so!! :lol:

miangellore
kate1.jpg picture by miangellore - Photobucket

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: That's a nice montage of Kate's jewelry. I don't recall that three-strand pearl bracelet; wonder where she wore it?

:previous: That's a nice montage of Kate's jewelry. I don't recall that three-strand pearl bracelet; wonder where she wore it?

Lady Rose Windsor's wedding. She also wore it when William became a knight of the Order of the Garter.

:previous: Thanks for that bit of info; being a pearl girl myself I always gravitate to this jewel and like seeing it worn by the royal ladies. Always adds such a classic touch to whatever outfit is worn.

Her choices IMO are okay pretty not elegant and though she is trying to remain low key and I think that this is good idea, for both of them, in the short term, I ask does she really need to carry it that far.I like her, but gosh I think she is the wife of Prince William she is not now "ordinary" and a little more would certainly be appropiate for her position. IMO

:previous: I know, I can't get overly excited about the jewels HRH the Duchess of Cambridge currently wears, average pieces that you would mostly see on anyone other than the engagement ring, the sapphire earrings and some of her dangling diamond earrings. I'm hoping to see Kate dip more into the royal vaults and start wearing more substantial jewels that she's entitled to in her position. I know that the argument is that she doesn't need them at this low-key stage and it's really not her style, but I do wish that when Kate makes more public appearances she'll wear jewels fit for the occasion. I can't help it; I'm looking for the "wow" factor! :dizzy:

Overall it looks like HRH is not such a jewel addict as we are ;). This means, that we probably won't see her "stepping up" even if both of them are taking more senior roles in the BRF. That's a pity but - we will need to stick to the Duchess of Cornwall as far as UK is concerned and as long as we have Maxima there is something to look for :whistling:.

Kate has been royal for 4-5 months and she has attended two evening events after this, if I remember correctly.
In my opinion, I think it's too early to start complaining that she's not wearing enough jewelry.
She is still only the wife of the heir's heir and she has not attended any events, IMO, that would require more jewelry than what she wore.

Not a complaint, just an observation. I did say that I'm hopeful that when Kate makes more public appearances, she does wear more jewelry that befits the occasion (especially if it's formal).

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it is still early days. William and Kate are not even married 6 months yet. The public appearances are bound to come at a later stage. In any case look how long it took before Sophie, Countess of Wessex started getting involved in royal duties. As far as the jewellry is concerned, that will also come with time.

Last edited:
Nothing "tacky" about chunky gold or silver bracelets. It seems to me that it's a matter of preference and NOT of tackiness.

:previous: Absolutely! I'm very partial to my charm bracelets, not just because they're great fashion accessories but also for the nostalgia they evoke because of the charms given for special occasions. And I do like Kate's.

Last edited:
I have to agree as I have a few charm bracelets from different periods during my life. Each is sentimental in its own way.

As I have been trawling throught the various photographs of the Duchess of Cambridge, it has suddenly occurred to me ( I have no idea why it has taken so long!!!) that she doesn't wear pearls!!!!! Surely the only royal lady in the world who is never seen without a string of pearls !! I wonder if she dislikes them ? What does everyone else think?

Actually plenty of royal ladies don't seem to wear them or not often, Sophie, Mary, Victoria, Mathilde and Catherine nor does Anne actually. Camilla wears them as does The Queen. For me, personally, they're an older persons jewellery.

Last edited:
She is usually wearing very understated,small pieces so I guess she prefers minimal style and doesn´t want to show off.Maybe that´s why she´s not wearing pearls?I am sure they would look great on her,I love pearls a lot! They are so glamourous & natural pearls come in so many different colours and shapes so they can be combined very well with different colours or other precious stones :)

Last edited:
I heard (one or two years ago) that her cocker spaniel chewed a pair of pearl earring that prince William gave her, and of course he ruined them. So (if that story is true) she had some jewels with pearls. Maybe she has never worn pearls in recent times because she has not pearl jewellery at present (or she received it for her wedding but she has never worn it yet). If she prefers a simple style, there are also pearls in a very simple setting, little pendants for example.
I don't agree with Lumutqueen, pearls are not only for older persons, because they are a classic piece of jewellery, and they are also back in fashion (there are plenty of fake pearl jewels in shops, not to talk about real jewels). Of course they should have a modern setting, and they should not be too big. Big pearls are really for older women. For example, I'm 28 and I have a strand of 7mm akoya pearls set with a very simple and little white gold clasp (and I don's seem older when I wear them :):)). My mother is 49 and has a strand of 10mm fresh water pearls with a large white gold and diamond clasp, and on a woman of her age they give her a younger look. But if I wear my mother's pearls, I look older.

I like pearls too (my nickname ;)) and I agree with Alyend - good setting can make very wearable jewel. Maybe Kate is not a fan of pearls, she seems to like more colorful gems and diamonds.

Now you've got me started on my most favorite jewel of all. I'm a pearl girl myself and have several nice strands, real and costume, that don't look old or dated at all when worn. It depends on the style and setting, as was mentioned. I have a long strand of freshwater pearls that is a combination of natural in color and tinted purple and can be wound several times around the neck; it's really a great look. I remember how Diana often wore pearls, especially chokers, and she looked very stylish in them. And who could forget my most favorite piece of all: the iconic sapphire and pearl choker.:wub: Now that's an item I'd like to see worn again. The question is: is it in William's or Harry's possession?

And, Alyend, your mom's necklace must be really beautiful with those size pearls and clasp. And your 7mm necklace sounds lovely as well.

Last edited:
Lumutqueen said:
Actually plenty of royal ladies don't seem to wear them or not often, Sophie, Mary, Victoria, Mathilde and Catherine nor does Anne actually. Camilla wears them as does The Queen. For me, personally, they're an older persons jewellery.

All of these royal ladies wear pearls and often !! They are more of a younger princess's garb than diamonds .

I love pearls! They're my birthstone, but one thing about them, they are a bit fragile. You can't wear them when working out or sweating, but they do compliment the skin. I have a black pearl ring I love, but I rarely wear it because I'm afraid of immersing my hands in water. The same with the black pearl/diamond pendant I have. :D

Since Catherine seems to favour V neck dresses, both daytime and evening wear, she would need a string with a pendant of some kind to pull it into a V or it would look "off". (And no, she cannot have La Peregrina!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom