The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-27-2008, 07:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

How do you know that?

Old 12-27-2008, 10:57 PM
Royal Highness

Because it is fairly common knowledge that Queen Alexandra had several PoW feather brooches with emerald drops. Suzy Menkes has a photograph of two in her book and in fact, the brooch Diana wore and the brooch Camilla wears have different shaped emerald drops, a different number of diamonds, and a different shank on the emerald. Skydragon did a very comprehensive post which compared both pieces, but I can't put my hands on it. Just do a search and you will see the two are different.
That being said, it is easy to confuse the PoW brooches with the emeralds--frankly, how many ways can you design a PoW feather brooch?

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 12-28-2008, 12:00 AM
Heir Presumptive

OK, good to know. Thanks, Janet!
Old 12-29-2008, 07:10 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Hello Magazine Monday October 9, 2006, has photos of Camilla wearing a brooch of D's.
I'm surprised you're raising this hoary old chestnut again scooter. A check of the thread where this urban myth was first discussed and debunked back in 2006 shows you made a post on the same page so you can't be unaware of the facts.

The claim "Camilla is wearing Diana's jewels!!!" is resurrected at regular intervals in various threads. A case of repeating a lie often enough so some people believe it, maybe?

So, once again, let's put this particular one to rest. From Charles & Camilla current events 14, October 2006:

Camilla's POW Feathers Brooch: has 20 brilliant cut diamonds around the circle plus the brilliant cut emeralds. small brilliant diamonds for the uprights of the feathers, 3 brilliant cut diamonds for the plumes and 3 small emeralds either side. It also has a baguette diamond or 3 small diamonds going across the feathers. The Bail cap is a simple tiered design.

Diana's POW Feathers Brooch: has 18 brilliant diamonds around the circle plus the brilliant cut emeralds, 2 brilliant cut diamond and 6 smaller diamonds for the plumes, no emeralds at the side of the uprights, instead it has diamonds. The Bail cap and lower work on the feather supports is wirework.

The Emeralds are a different shape, Camilla's is called a raindrop and Diana's a teardrop.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99 View Post
I have seen this program and it is wonderful eye candy! However, I suggest watching with a grain of salt. There are several inaccuracies about Diana's jewels, their history and the narrator states several times that Camilla wears several pieces of Diana's jewelry, which is untrue. But, as I said it is DELIGHTFUL eye candy!
Warren,
As evidenced by the above.... I DID NOT BRING IT UP, hory old chestnut or not. I simply replied to Janet's post asking how Janet knows that the program's claims are false. I'm a little tired of always being blamed.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:17 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightLighter View Post
Not sure if some royal followers are familiar with the CBC in Canada, but the CBC has a program called The Passionate Eye, and all this week they're broadcasting everything Royal. On Christmas night there will be a program on called Princess Diana: Her Life in Jewels.

Here's the link: CBC Newsworld : Passionate Eye Showcase : Documentary

Now I know for those who don't live in Canada, might not be able to watch it, so I checked the CBC store, in case there are those who would like to purchase a copy of this series, and unfortunately, I can't find a DVD of it in the online store. SORRY However, here's the link to the CBC online store, and there is a phone number, for those who might want to call and inquire about any of The Passionate Eye Royal Episodes.

CBC Shop Online

Hope this helps....
Ok, so, as evidenced by the above post, I did not bring this topic up initially and will not stand for being picked as the culprit!
However, Scooter, I can certainly understand your frustration and if I have ever added to it I want to apologize for that. Often, when posting on these boards, tones or quips can often be misconstrued and what results is often hard feelings.
Now, that being said, Brightlighter (who I see is now banned) commented on this special which attempted to place Camilla in a negative light. I had seen it and wanted to make all who saw it aware that while it may be nice eye candy, be prepared to be annoyed because it gets a lot of information incorrect. Although I didn't mention it specifically in my post about eye candy, one topic which was incorrect in this "documentary" was the often discussed PoW feather brooch. The narrator stated that Camilla wears it, when in fact she does not. Then, naturally, someone discussed Camilla wearing it and then we went into the topic of the PoW feather brooch--which I did not bring up but which I happily responded to as it is a common theme in the jewel threads.
Anyway, Warren, your summation of the two brooches is wonderful. Thank you!

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 12-30-2008, 04:05 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Hello Magazine Monday October 9, 2006, has photos of Camilla wearing a brooch of D's.
As you well know, the claim made in 2006 of "Camilla wearing a brooch of D's" was not true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter
As evidenced by the above.... I DID NOT BRING IT UP.
You repeated what you knew to be wrong yet neglected to state the truth.

. . . . . . . . . .

It would serve everyone if Royal Jewels discussions could be kept to what is factually correct rather than being diverted by misinformation and red-herring dead ends.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
As you well know, the claim made in 2006 of "Camilla wearing a brooch of D's" was not true.

You repeated what you knew to be wrong yet neglected to state the truth.

. . . . . . . . . .

It would serve everyone if Royal Jewels discussions could be kept to what is factually correct rather than being diverted by misinformation and red-herring dead ends.
Warren, please explain to me how I 'well know' anything about the jewelry? Because almost 3 years ago I posted on a thread? I repeated what I knew to be wrong? What???? Are all posters expected to review threads from several years ago before posting? I have not spent much time on the jewelry threads....as you well know.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:31 AM
Administrator

Quote:
I have not spent much time on the jewelry threads....as you well know.
I find it hard to believe that you are unaware of the "Camilla is wearing Diana's jewels!!!" nonsense as it has been repeated in both the Diana and Camilla British subforums.
In any case you should check your facts before posting such obvious misinformation.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:25 AM
Heir Presumptive

I am actually glad that the subject was brought up again by scooter.
Although I'm quite interested in Royal jewelry, after reading many posts about the two brooches in question I had filed the matter under 'unresolved' in my mind back then, and now I know better.
The two brooches are as similar as they get, so it's not a sin - and no reason to be rather gruff, IMHO - if the subject comes up again periodically. Others do as well, and it doesn't hurt really to refresh one's memory. Plus, it usually leads to the next question, which for me in this case is the provenance of Camilla's brooch.
While Diana's brooch is definitely one out of the four brooches which, along with the Dagmar necklace, were Princess Alexandra's dowry from Denmark, Camilla's remains unclear to me - it's not one of the other three.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:44 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
...so it's not a sin - and no reason to be rather gruff, IMHO - if the subject comes up again periodically. Others do as well, and it doesn't hurt really to refresh one's memory.
It's certainly no sin if the subject is raised as a question. However, when it is raised or presented as a fact the subject takes on a different colour.

As to the provenance of Camilla's POW Feathers Brooch my understanding is that it hasn't been established. The best that has been speculated is there were more POW brooches in the vaults than we were aware.
No surprise on that score as more likely than not there is a treasure-trove of unknown jewels lying neatly in their presentation cases in those dark and dusty vaults.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99 View Post
I have seen this program and it is wonderful eye candy! However, I suggest watching with a grain of salt. There are several inaccuracies about Diana's jewels, their history and the narrator states several times that Camilla wears several pieces of Diana's jewelry, which is untrue. But, as I said it is DELIGHTFUL eye candy!
I. Did. Not. Bring. It. Up. Janet made the above reply to BrightLighter's post, saying it was untrue. I simply asked how she knew that. When she replied, I said ok, thanks. Certainly, I did not 'post obvious misinformation as fact'. Please review the posts of 12/23. I dont mind being called out if I've actually incited a riot, but this is not one of those occasions.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

The jewels that the Princess recieved from state visits did they belong to her or since she recieved them on a state visit do they belong to the crown?
Old 01-01-2009, 10:46 PM
Royal Highness

Good question, Sirhon! Of course, I don't really know the answer. But, my thinking is that if a gift is given to the Princess of Wales then it belongs to the Royal Collection? Of course, I could be wrong given that Queen Victoria's turkish diamond necklace was a coronation gift and she gave it to the Duke of Connaught.
However, it probably doesn't really even matter because the boys would naturally inherit anything of their mothers with William's share probably reverting back to the Royal Collection and Harry becoming a Duke like the Kents or Gloucester's.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:08 PM
Aristocracy

Right - her I go... my first post. Hopefully it'll break up the ongoing spat. (For the record, the mighty Camilla would of course not be so dense as to wear anything of Diana's, she has played her cards so cleverly for so long, she would not make such a foolish error.)

Now, something I had long wondered (and indeed wondered if I was the only person who wondered such things - hurrah I'm not!) is about the Oman sapphire necklace. She did sport around the same time (87ish) a rather fabulous Dynasty-esque ruby tassle number, very Duchess of Windsor. The necklace it was based on seemed the same as the Oman sapphires - were they indeed the same necklace with different pendants/centrepieces. Anyone know?
Old 01-10-2009, 06:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

Welcome on board, James in London!
True, true, those weird things which occupy space in the wondering Royal watcher's mind...
The Omani sapphire and the ruby necklaces are two different ones. The ruby tassel necklace indeed resembles the famous Duchess of Windsor ruby tassel necklace... and Dyanasty-esque isn't a bad description either!
Diana's ruby necklace was part of a parure with matching earrings and bracelet. Necklace and bracelet were only seen once in public - so it must have been rather too grand for her taste, I guess. Much more elaborate than the Omani set. But she continued to wear the matching earrings, sometimes replacing the dangling ruby tassels at the bottom with drop pearls.
As this modern set appeared at the same time (fall 1987) as the other gifts from the Gulf tour, I'd say it's likely that this is the origin of the rubies as well...
...the others, apart from the Omani sapphires, probably being the large aquamarine and diamond earrings and the cabochon amethyst suite.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:48 AM
Aristocracy

Thanks for that. I only wondered, as the necklace the ruby tassle and the blue sapphire triangle thingie were on were the same, so I just wondered if they were interchangeable. I was sad not to see the Dynasty rubies again, as they were very glam, and Di wasn't known to shy away from a bit of bling in her day. I thought the Oman sapphires lovely, but could have been bigger.

And I was surprised to discover the amethysts were just that. For some reason I had always imagined they were paste (she did go through a very big Butler and Wilson period), but of course, I see now that they were priceless. Silly me.

My favourite Diana jewel I guess has to be the sapphire necklace from the Saudi's for the wedding gift. I just thought that was stunning. Such a shame there wasn't a tiara bunged in too... those stingy Sheikhs!
Old 01-10-2009, 09:55 AM
Administrator

Here is the link to an excellent site created by one of our members, ayvee.
It has great pictures and descriptions of some of the more serious jewellery worn by Diana... Diana's Jewels
(www dianasjewels.net)
Old 01-10-2009, 10:21 AM
Heir Presumptive

Ayvee's site is absolutely the best source for everything related to Princess Diana's jewelry, including the rarely worn jewelry (there are quite a few important pieces seen only once). I guess it's the definite inventory of all the jewels ever worn by the Princess.
The information provided is absolutely reliable too - great work.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:28 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by James in London View Post
Thanks for that. I only wondered, as the necklace the ruby tassle and the blue sapphire triangle thingie were on were the same, so I just wondered if they were interchangeable. I was sad not to see the Dynasty rubies again, as they were very glam, and Di wasn't known to shy away from a bit of bling in her day. I thought the Oman sapphires lovely, but could have been bigger.

And I was surprised to discover the amethysts were just that. For some reason I had always imagined they were paste (she did go through a very big Butler and Wilson period), but of course, I see now that they were priceless. Silly me.

My favourite Diana jewel I guess has to be the sapphire necklace from the Saudi's for the wedding gift. I just thought that was stunning. Such a shame there wasn't a tiara bunged in too... those stingy Sheikhs!
Welcome to the Boards, James in London - always nice to have a new voice and perspective on the topics here.

Of course amethysts are actually one of the (generally) less expensive stones, so they are undoubtedly genuine. Their deep colour makes them more desirable, naturally.

Looking forward to hearing more from you! - Welcome again...

Tags
diana, jewellery, princess of wales