Diana, Princess of Wales Jewellery 2: Ending 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I loved the sapphire ring on Diana & I'm so glad to see it on Kate now!

Her wedding earrings...
I love the fact that they look old and outdated, makes them much more regal and precious. She was a very sweet bride! :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Her wedding earrings belonged to her mother. It was Diana's "something borrowed".

The Spencer tiara was her something old (though the lace on her dress technically could have qualified). Her dress was something new, her earrings borrowed, and there was a blue ribbon on the horse shoe she had sewn into the under part of her dress for good luck.

Kate followed suit with the blue ribbon (no horse shoe). Her dress was the old (Diana didn't use her lace as old, Kate used the old style lace as her old). The borrowed was the Halo tiara, and new were her earrings.

:previous: Diana didn't create it; she picked it out of a tray that was sent over. Sarah's ring was designed by Andrew, though.

This sapphire choker is so stunning! I also love the earrings!

I didn't even have to click on the link to know what you were referring to, but of course I did!:D I think that's the most iconic piece of jewelry along with her e-ring; I loved how she modified the brooch the Queen Mother gave her into a pearl choker. Absolutely magnificent, and I'd love to see this on Kate if William has inherited it.

has diana worn some kind of daisy brosch on her sholder on a gala dress?

Oh there was a lot more !! From HM The Queen - the Lovers Knot Tiara, The emerald choker from the Cambridge Emeralds suite, the huge Sri Lankan Sapphire from HM The Queen Mother and emerald earrings and bracelet and suite of sapphires and diamonds from Prince Charles to name but a few.
Wasn't the Lovers knot Tiara "borrowed" and revert to crown upon her death?

Yes, the Cambridge Lovers Knot tiara was given to Diana for use during her lifetime and was returned to the royal vault. Hopefully, we'll see it adorning Kate's head sometime in the future; although it's a likelihood, it's not a given.

Last edited:
Yes, the Cambridge Lovers Knot tiara was given to Diana for use during her lifetime and was returned to the royal vault.
It’s actually a bit of a popular misconception that Princess Diana was given the Lover’s Knot Tiara only 'for the use in her lifetime' from the start.
She received it as a personal wedding gift from the Queen and could justifiably consider it (along with other historic jewelry she was given) her private property indeed.
Provisions regarding the Windsor jewelry collection were differently thirty years ago than they are now; in contrast to today, also the jewels received by Royals on foreign visits were regarded as their own property, the items did not become automatically part of the royal collection.
The definition 'for the use in her lifetime, then returned to the collection' first applies to the Lover’s Knot Tiara after Princess Diana’s divorce from Prince Charles.

I recently came across this picture of Diana ca. 1985, wearing a necklace (certainly not historic but modern) which at first sight could be the gold and pearl necklace with central diamond heart acquired at the time of Prince William’s birth - but at second glance it looks quite different to me. Perhaps an unknown piece?
Pic:
http://s14.postimage.org/hxbt9tiep/Diana_Necklace.jpg

The Lover's Knot Tiara and the Cambridge Emerald Choker were personal bequests to The Queen from her grandmother, Queen Mary. She gave them to Diana as wedding gifts, but they most definitely belonged to her private collection of jewels.

There was no concern at the time about Diana and Charles ever divorcing, so The Queen gave them to Diana assuming she would eventually become Queen and have access to the entire Crown Collection.

However, once the marriage ended, it was stipulated in the settlement agreement that Diana would retain all of her royal pieces for her lifetime, on condition they could never be lent or sold. Upon her death, they were to be given to Prince William for his wife to wear.

All of Diana's jewels were returned to the Palace for safekeeping given William and Harry were still minors at the time. I would assume they will, in fact, reappear in time on Catherine or Harry's future wife.

It's the Saudi Arabian necklace - the Collingwood suite was worn only once and then returned.

Love the diamond brooch, I never saw it or the pic before so many thanks.

She was so breathtakingly beautiful. Just like Princess Grace, she was very wise choosing her accessories/jewelry -- just a tasteful amount and elegant style that allowed their natural beauties to shine through.

There is a short diamond necklace with sapphire 'swirl' embellishment that was presented to Diana by the Sultan of Oman during the Gulf Tour of 1986 (The Royal Jewels, p.165) It would be stunning on Kate, and go well with her understated look. I have seen a photo of Camilla wearing it, and also the huge sapphire/diamond brooch wedding gift from the Queen Mother which was added to a multi-strand pearl choker. I don't understand this. If those things - especially the tour presentation gift - were gifts to Diana, and she and Charles were divorced, why would Camilla have access to them instead of them being saved for Diana's sons?

They may have to been gifts to the royal family and not to Diana herself. Or perhaps William and Harry have allowed Camilla to wear the necklace. I'm pretty sure it's the first one though.

I was under the impression that the sapphire parure was a wedding gift. That would not make it a gift to the crown. I will look in some of the old biographies to see what I can turn up. In either case, Camilla would do well to avoid pieces associated with Diana, as a matter of good taste IMHO.

...Lastly, there is a short diamond necklace with sapphire 'swirl' embellishment that was presented to Diana by the Sultan of Oman during the Gulf Tour of 1986 (The Royal Jewels, p.165)... I have seen a photo of Camilla wearing it , and also the huge sapphire/diamond brooch wedding gift from the Queen Mother...
The sapphire and diamond necklace presented by the Sultan of Oman is pictured below. There is no record of Camilla wearing this necklace, nor is there any record of her wearing the Queen Mother's sapphire brooch that was a gift to Diana. It is likely that both pieces are in the custody of William and Harry.

As there is no evidence of Camilla wearing the pieces in question I would suggest that you have either seen photoshopped images of Camilla overlaid with a copy and paste of Diana's jewels, or misidentified the jewels that Camilla was actually wearing.

v Diana, the Sultan of Oman necklace and earrings
The thumbnail is a cropped portion of a much larger image and not subject to copyright.

Attachments

• Diana Sultan of Oman suite.jpg
    Diana Sultan of Oman suite.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 1,940
Last edited:
All of Diana's jewels, with the exception of the Lover's Knot Tiara and the Cambridge Emerald & Diamond Choker, were her personal property and now belong to William and Harry. There is no way Camilla would have access to these jewels.

The two royal pieces were from The Queen's personal collection and were returned to her after Diana's death. Whether they will reappear in the future remains to be seen.

I always drooled over her chokers. Love the sapphire and diamond bracelet mounted on velvet..........stunning!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom