Swedish Royals of the Past

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I may be mistaken but it certainly looked like Juliana - did she bear a resemblance to Sybilla at all? I noticed Marina there, I think she was there because it was for Winston but there's no reason why Juliana should be there so I'm happy to accept that it wasn't. I think it was the specs that made me think it was QJ.

As I can't see Marina either, I assume that I missed the part that yuou are referring to. Do you know around what time Juliana and her cousin are shown?
Lady Clementine made a lovely curtsey btw :)

Quite surprising that Juliana was there. Is it common for other heads of state to attend the ceremonies every now and then?
It's not unusual that royals from the country of a Nobel prize laureate is invited to the cermony, and as there was a Dutch laureate in 1953 (Frits Zernike in physics) it's not that surprising that Juliana was there, the same way as princess Martina was there because of the British Nobel laureate.

Last edited:
In Emperors, Kings & Queens, Sonya Newland wrote:
Gustav III distracted himself with artistic and cultural pursuits in a coffer-draining attempt to emulate French country life by which he was much impressed.

King Gustav IV Adolf and Queen Frederica were deposed in 1809.
Frederica was often visited by the new queen, Hedvig Elizabeth Charlotte.
Wikipedia mentioned that Queen Hedvig wished to preserve the right to the throne for Frederica's son, Gustav, Prince of Vasa.

First, how could Prince Gustav's right to the throne be preserved after his father, Gustav IV Adolf, had been deposed?
Secondly, what influence would Queen Hedvig Elizabeth Chatlotte have in the selection of an heir to the Swedish throne?

Last edited by a moderator:
But many of his comtemporaries weren't impressed with Gustav III's cultural pursuits, as they got the impression that he only cared about them. That's not really true, of course, but he got a reputation as a silly weakling (there were also rumors that he was a homosexual, which was not a good thing in the 1700s), at the same time as he wanted more and more power. He became less and less popular and was eventually assassinated. But as the years have passed, people have come to see positive things about Gustav III's reforms. He abolished torture for suspected criminals, made it possible for Jews to live within Sweden (albeit only in the three largest cities) and allowed the unwed mothers to give birth anonymously to avoid the shame. Not to mention that there always have been people, who have appreciated what he did for Swedish culture. Nevertheless, Gustav III has remained a controversial and somewhat enigmatic figure from our history.

Last edited:
There were no serious plans to give the throne to Prince Gustav. As a matter of fact, it was made totally clear that Gustav IV Adolf's heirs could not inherit the throne. I can't see how Queen Charlotte would have any influence on the matter, but I guess that she might have thought that her nephew, not to mention his children, had been wronged, so she felt some sympathy for them.

From Facebook of Livrustkammaren, The Royal Armoury:

Princess Eugénie (1830-1889), known for her versatile artistic talent, wanted also live an independent life. She was the daughter of King Oscar I and Queen Josefina, and had four brothers, Prince Karl (XV), Gustaf, Oscar (II) and August. Eugénie is described as warm worshipper and is best known for her drawings illustrating life at the court. She was unmarried and sick throughout her entire life and considered herself that this gave her the opportunity to live an independent life. When the Swedish Parliament in 1858 decided that adult unmarried women could apply for a declaration of independence, she was one of the first women in the country to apply for it. From the beginning of the 1860s onwards she lived in the summer at Villa Fridhem in Västerhejde, Gotland. Princess Eugénie, among other things, built up the Eugenia home in Stockholm for unbearably ill children. She also set up orphanages and Gotland's nursing home for the infectious sick in Visby. Portrait from 1846, Nils Blommér. The National Museum. Dress of white atlassilk with glittering flower roots. Possibly worn by princess Eugénie, 1840s. The Royal Armoury's collections.

Princess Eugénie (1830-1889), known for her versatile artistic talent, wanted also live an independent life. She was the daughter of King Oscar I and Queen Josefina, and had four brothers, Prince Karl (XV), Gustaf, Oscar (II) and August. Eugénie is described as warm worshipper and is best known for her drawings illustrating life at the court. She was unmarried and sick throughout her entire life and considered herself that this gave her the opportunity to live an independent life. When the Swedish Parliament in 1858 decided that adult unmarried women could apply for a declaration of independence, she was one of the first women in the country to apply for it. From the beginning of the 1860s onwards she lived in the summer at Villa Fridhem in Västerhejde, Gotland. Princess Eugénie, among other things, built up the Eugenia home in Stockholm for unbearably ill children. She also set up orphanages and Gotland's nursing home for the infectious sick in Visby. Portrait from 1846, Nils Blommér. The National Museum. Dress of white atlassilk with glittering flower roots. Possibly worn by princess Eugénie, 1840s. The Royal Armoury's collections.
If I remember correctly, Princess Eugénie also was the biggest supporter of her nephew Eugene's artistic ambitions (which were not really acceptable for a prince back in those days). And it seems like Prince Eugene was lucky to have this aunt, who understood him better than the rest of the family did...

Last edited:
LadyFinn and Furienna, thank you for all the information.

What were the ramifications of a declaration of independence? Were the Swedes and the Swedish royal family supportive of Princess Eugénie's decision?

It would have given the woman the right to legally make her own decisions, just like a man had. Up until 1858, the rule was that no women except for widows had such rights. And until 1884, women were not allowed to become off age until they were 25 years old (men only had to be 21 years old). And a married woman had few legal rights until around 1920!

Right now, I have no real answer to your question about what Eugénie's family thought about her taking that huge step. But I guess that they would have found it more or less peculiar, just like most families would have thought back then.

Last edited:

It would have given the woman the right to legally make her own decisions, just like a man had... Up until 1858, it had been the rule that no women except for widows had such rights. And until 1884, women were not allowed to become off age until they were 25 years old (men only had to be 21 years old). And a married woman had no real legal rights until around 1920!

Right now, I have no real answer to your question about what Eugenie's family thought about this. But I guess that they would have found it more or less peculiar, just like most families would have thoughts back then.

Thanks. :flowers: Who had the right to make legal decisions on behalf of an unmarried woman who had not been declared independent?

Thanks. :flowers: Who had the right to make legal decisions on behalf of an unmarried woman who had not been declared independent?
Her legal guardian who most often was her closest male relative - father, brother, nephew, brother-in-law etc...
Besides making legal decisions and in my opinion more importantly an emancipated woman had control over her property and eventual fortune.
This, and the fact that married women could not be declared emancipated, led to the so called Stockholm marriages where many, mainly working- and lower middle class, women chose to cohabit with a man without marrying him in order to remain in control of their assets.

Her legal guardian who most often was her closest male relative - father, brother, nephew, brother-in-law etc...
Besides making legal decisions and in my opinion more importantly an emancipated woman had control over her property and eventual fortune.
This, and the fact that married women could not be declared emancipated, led to the so called Stockholm marriages where many, mainly working- and lower middle class, women chose to cohabit with a man without marrying him in order to remain in control of their assets.
Exactly!!!

From Instagram of the Royal Palaces

Princess Eugénie, daughter of Queen Josefina and King Oscar I, painted almost all the time. Her animated snapshots give glimpses of a royal daily life that we would otherwise know very little about. Together with her parents, Eugénie and her brothers spent almost all her childhood summers at Tullgarn Palace.
Eugénie never got to go to art school. She took private lessons in painting and sculpture, but was not allowed to sculpt nude models. Eventually, the ban was softened somewhat. Several of her sculptures were mass produced by Gustavsberg and found in countless Swedish homes. The money went to the princess's extensive social work; she set up several children's homes in Gotland, among other things, and built the Eugenia home in Stockholm for unbearably ill children. In addition, she founded the Nordic community for combating the scientific animal offense, the present Animal Rights.
Culture-motivated, socially committed and deeply religious, Eugénie matched to all-time women's ideals. But she also had another side. When 1858 it became possible for unmarried women to be declared responsible, Eugénie was one of the first who took advantage of the opportunity. She never married. She writes herself like this: "I bless the memory of my father, who, when I was young and healthy, did not force me to enter into marriage with any despotic prince, which would have ruined my beautiful independent life."
The picture shows Eugénie's watercolor painting of the royal family arriving at the Tullgarn Palace in July 1853. The women outside the cabin are Queen Josefina and Princess Eugénie, with their sketchbook. From the Royal Collections.
Photo of the Palace today, Raphael Stecksén.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bk9vc6kF8jd/?taken-by=kungligaslotten

Eugenia also became a big support for one of her nephews and her near-name-sake, Prince Eugene. Eugene was an artist, like his aunt.

A bracelet at the permanent exhibition of the Royal Armoury:

Today's date: July 16, 1636, Princess Anna Vasa was buried in St. Mary's Church in the Polish city of Toruń.
Anna lived 1568–1625 and her parents were King Johan III and Katarina Jagellonica. She was well-educated and spoke five languages. When her brother Sigismund became king in Poland she followed him as an advisor. In the 1590s she returned to Sweden to drive his case in the power struggle against his uncle Karl. Karl called her angry as Sigismund's "poisonous sister".
After Sigismund was set aside from the Swedish throne Anna returned to Catholic Poland and created there, among other things, a refuge for
Swedish and Polish Protestants refugees. When she died in 1625, Sigismund wanted to bury his sister in the polish Coronation and funeral church in Kraków. Since Anna was the Protestant, permission was required from the Pope to be able to bury her in a Catholic Church. The Pope refused to give his approval and it was 11 years before she was finally buried in a Protestant church in Toruń.

The gold bracelet with the initials A P S (Anna Principessa Sveciae = Anna, Swedish Princess) is one of the few links to the Vasa princesses.
Anna Vasa, the princess who once carried it, is forgotten in Sweden. In Poland she is remembered as Anna Wazówna as a statue in the town of Brodnica, in front of the castle she once lived on.

Another photo of the bracelet
http://emuseumplus.lsh.se/eMuseumPl...9Yi8S8yOJaia2mpWhEO5qlPqbqrNmy&sp=Simage/jpeg

Last edited:
A bracelet at the permanent exhibition of the Royal Armoury:

Today's date: July 16, 1636, Princess Anna Vasa was buried in St. Mary's Church in the Polish city of Toruń.
Anna lived 1568–1625 and her parents were King Johan III and Katarina Jagellonica. She was well-educated and spoke five languages. When her brother Sigismund became king in Poland she followed him as an advisor. In the 1590s she returned to Sweden to drive his case in the power struggle against his uncle Karl. Karl called her angry as Sigismund's "poisonous sister".
After Sigismund was set aside from the Swedish throne Anna returned to Catholic Poland and created there, among other things, a refuge for
Swedish and Polish Protestants refugees. When she died in 1625, Sigismund wanted to bury his sister in the polish Coronation and funeral church in Kraków. Since Anna was the Protestant, permission was required from the Pope to be able to bury her in a Catholic Church. The Pope refused to give his approval and it was 11 years before she was finally buried in a Protestant church in Toruń.

The gold bracelet with the initials A P S (Anna Principessa Sveciae = Anna, Swedish Princess) is one of the few links to the Vasa princesses.
Anna Vasa, the princess who once carried it, is forgotten in Sweden. In Poland she is remembered as Anna Wazówna as a statue in the town of Brodnica, in front of the castle she once lived on.

Another photo of the bracelet
http://emuseumplus.lsh.se/eMuseumPl...9Yi8S8yOJaia2mpWhEO5qlPqbqrNmy&sp=Simage/jpeg

Very interesting! I'm confused by the mention of Swedish Protestant refugees - hadn't Sweden become a Protestant kingdom by this time?

Very interesting! I'm confused by the mention of Swedish Protestant refugees - hadn't Sweden become a Protestant kingdom by this time?
During the reigns of King Erik XIV, King Johan III, his son King Sigismund and King Karl IX Sweden was in a constant state of rebellion between the supporters of the different kings. When Sigismund was ousted by both force and act of Parliament his uncle Karl IX swiftly started persecuting and executing the nobles and members of Parliament that had supported his nephew. This lead to a stream of refugees who followed what they saw as their rightful king to Poland.

Last edited:
Anna was raised a Roman Catholic but converted to Lutheranism after the death of her devoutly Catholic mother Catherine Jagellon there were talks of marrying her off to the Prince of Transylvania at one stage!

Anna was raised a Roman Catholic but converted to Lutheranism after the death of her devoutly Catholic mother Catherine Jagellon
That is why I find it weird that she chose to follow her Catholic brother in exile in Poland, when she could have stayed in Sweden.

That is why I find it weird that she chose to follow her Catholic brother in exile in Poland, when she could have stayed in Sweden.
You gave part of the answer yourself - King Sigismund was her brother and according to all customs he was the rightful King of Sweden.
Princess Anna was already in conflict with her uncle, the future King Karl IX, over her proposed marriage to Elector Johan Georg of Brandenburh, her properties in Sweden and her close relationship with many of the members of nobility that were later either banished or executed by her uncle for conspiring against him.
Anna, who was both unpopular and distrusted in Poland, was supposed to have married the Elector after she returned to Poland with her brother, but for some reason the marriage never happened. Had it happened she would not have stayed in the country.

Did the Elector Johan Georg marry a different princess?

Did the Elector Johan Georg marry a different princess?

Yes, he married Princess Anna of Prussia in 1594. They had 8 kids together.

Actually he was grandfather to a Queen of Sweden. His daughter Maria Eleanora married Gustaf II Adolph of Sweden (Anna Vasa's cousin). They were the parents of Queen Christina of Sweden.

Anna was a far superior marriage for the elector. She was the eldest surviving child of the Duke of Prussia (only daughters reached adulthood). Upon the death of her father, Anna's husband became Duke of Prussia-Brandenberg.

The family was already connected. Following the death of his first wife, Johan's father married Princess Eleanor of Prussia, Anna's younger sister.

Last edited by a moderator:
On April 24, 1830, Princess Eugénie was born. Princess Eugénie (1830–1889) was the only daughter of Oskar I and Queen Josefina. In her musical education, she and her siblings learned to play music and compose, which was mainly expressed through singing and piano playing. She also became known for her finely tuned drawings and devoted time to sculpture. Soirees and concerts were arranged at the royal palaces, often with invited musicians and singers from the Opera. Opera singer Jenny Lind was a dear friend of the Bernadotte family. It was also musicized at her beloved summer paradise Fridhem on Gotland, a place she created for recreation. Solo songs and duets had their place at the musical soirees, while spiritual songs were performed in religious contexts. Princess Eugénie was elected Member of the Royal Academy of Music in 1859.
The slideshow shows a portrait of Princess Eugénie and a selection of her watercolor paintings in the royal collections. The music, ”Till vågen”, is a duet composed by the princess and performed by the sopranos and altos of the vocal ensemble of the Royal Chapel under the direction and accompaniment of Court Organist Mary Ljungquist Hén.
https://www.instagram.com/p/B_WwoV9JzXh/

King Magnus III regained the provinces in Gothenland in southern Sweden in 1278. He assumed the additional title rex Gothorum, King of the Goths.

On April 24, 1830, Princess Eugénie was born. Princess Eugénie (1830–1889) was the only daughter of Oskar I and Queen Josefina. In her musical education, she and her siblings learned to play music and compose, which was mainly expressed through singing and piano playing. She also became known for her finely tuned drawings and devoted time to sculpture. Soirees and concerts were arranged at the royal palaces, often with invited musicians and singers from the Opera. Opera singer Jenny Lind was a dear friend of the Bernadotte family. It was also musicized at her beloved summer paradise Fridhem on Gotland, a place she created for recreation. Solo songs and duets had their place at the musical soirees, while spiritual songs were performed in religious contexts. Princess Eugénie was elected Member of the Royal Academy of Music in 1859.
The slideshow shows a portrait of Princess Eugénie and a selection of her watercolor paintings in the royal collections. The music, ”Till vågen”, is a duet composed by the princess and performed by the sopranos and altos of the vocal ensemble of the Royal Chapel under the direction and accompaniment of Court Organist Mary Ljungquist Hén.
https://www.instagram.com/p/B_WwoV9JzXh/

I wonder how often a woman was elected to the Royal Academies in that time period.

I wonder how often a woman was elected to the Royal Academies in that time period.
Princess Eugenie was elected as a patron of the Musical Academy, together with her mother, grandmother, and two sisters-in-law, in 1858/1859, so she was not elected for her musical talents, but because she was royal. As far as I can see, most, if not all members of the Royal family have been members/patrons.
https://sv.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lista_över_Musikaliska_Akademiens_ledamöter

As for ordinary members, already in the statues for the Academy 8 memberships were specified for "fruntimmer" (ladies), and you can find the first female member on place 85, Elisabeth Olin, in 1782.

Back
Top Bottom