Princess Lalla Salma's role in Morocco and the Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
liliana said:
Mrs. chenna, cannot give to her association the fame that gives it the princess salma by her only presence
That's how you think. Countries move forward to democracy and to development because of the hard work of people not because of simple presence of someone who has a honorary title.

So if for each tabbo we wait for the presence of a honorary personne to make things move, we will found ourself hundreds of years behind the world.

liliana said:
I make this remark because the virulence of the subjects concerning salma is strange
She is a very young woman, of a middle background that bewitched by her beauty and intelligence a king, this woman is not absolutely usual at the life of palace, nor to society life, nor to be the center of attention of a whole country
she is pregnant just after her marriage, therefore unavailable during nine months, as soon as her baby born, she gets to work, she welcomes some heads of state, goes alone to Paris to participate in an official reception for childhood, inaugurate a center for single mothers
Salma is not the only one who is young and from a middle class background, all the Crown princes's wifes are all from different backgrounds and not born into a royal family, and all of them work when they are pregnant and when they have their babies, so what is so special about salma?

salma was in paris only as a guest. she received first ladies. not more. she is seen with first ladies and never alone working for ppl in her country. why?
weeks ago 10 ppl died in fes, her native city, when mosque collapsed. why she wasn't there? and many areas is the city are going to collapse bcz of lack of maintenance, why she is not reacting? why she does nothing after q.paola left?

Its interesting that Lalla Salma doesn't chose to accompany her husband overseas. She's only been to France twice I believe.
And I dont buy the argument that Moroccan royal women are low profile.
Both princess Meryem and Hasna accompanied their brother and father to overseas visits many times. They've also represented Morocco at many royal weddings. They're always present at banquets in honour of other royals and statesmen.
I think Lalla Salma choses, at least until her son is a little older, to keep a low profile.

To madonna23,

You proposed two hypotheses of salma disinterest on public life.

The first one, is because of king sisters’ pressure. I wonder if this can have such effect. Morocco is an under-developped country, many things can be done there. The sisters don’t need to share their duties with salma and I don’t beleive either this will happen one day! at least not in the near future, maybe in 20 years from now, if Muhamed VI will have daughters.
I don’t see either a lack of fields where she can have an activity.
Salma has a degree in computer engineering. King sisters don’t have knowledge in this field. So why salma doesn’t do something in this area? I am surprised to see first ladies concentrate only on social work related to women and children, there are also youth and middle age (productive age) in high-schools, universities and professional institutions. There are also other fields: technology, information, science, and business.
In morocco, salma was in 3 music-films festivals, and once for single mothers centre in casablanca.

Second hypothesis, is because her husband wants to preserve tradition and prevent her from having any public role, or maybe she choose that as Humera said. That sounds more acceptable than the first one. And if this is true, then media and people in morocco misunderstood the message two years ago, when they thought salma could have good profile! But no one has corrected that, as they prefer to say: she is active without doing anything!

to abir, I insist for what I said, when people see lalla salma take care for unmarried woman, they see differently these young women, salma brok a taboo by her only presence
to zineb, lalla salma in the only princesse whose role is new it is necessary to be a very strong woman to be the first to do something and it is necessary to be a strong woman to be the first to do something

women in morocco are out since decades. if king' wife wasn't that's palace problem not moroccan problem.
you didn't answer my questions. why salma was seen with first ladies and never alone working for ppl in her country?
weeks ago 10 ppl died in fes, her native city, when mosque collapsed. why she wasn't there? and many areas is the city are going to collapse bcz of lack of maintenance, why she is not reacting? why she does nothing after q.paola left?

zineb said:
women in morocco are out since decades. if king' wife wasn't that's palace problem not moroccan problem.
you didn't answer my questions. why salma was seen with first ladies and never alone working for ppl in her country?
she doesn't go there because it is not her job, this year in belguium an explosion made many victim, and I don't see Mathilde or Paola in the site of explosion

liliana said:
she doesn't go there because it is not her job, this year in belguium an explosion made many victim, and I don't see Mathilde or Paola in the site of explosion
before, you said she is perfect and she is better than Mathilde. now she doesn't have to do everything and she does things like Mathilde. it's not bad, some progress!

do you speak about the explosion in Ghislenghien? Mathilde attended a concert in the memory of victims. what salma did for fes victims?

you know what Mathilde did only in 1 month and half?
I wonder if salma can do the half of that in years. here is Mathilde agenda for the last 1 1/2 month of this year

Last edited by a moderator:
liliana, you tents to deny the obviousness salma does not have any serious activity, she appears only at the time of the official ceremonies
zineb gives an example of the diary of a first lady and it has no connection with the one of lalla salma

I think Lalla Salma just hasn't found the right causes to support yet. The King's sisters have their own charities/causes they patronize. Maybe Lalla Salma needs time to figure out what she wants to do. If, right now, she chooses to spend her time with her son, no one can fault her for that. She is the King's wife, but as a mother, her son is her first responsibility. It is obvious that King Muhammad hasn't placed any restrictions on her. Im sure she'll figure out what's expected of her and look at the example of her sisters-in-law

liliana said:
I insist for what I said, when people see lalla salma take care for unmarried woman, they see differently these young women, salma brok a taboo by her only presence
To me, you don't make difference between daily work and honorary presence.
Developed countries don’t relay a lot on honorary presence! Prince/Princess can open funds and charities to help associations but it’s not the daily occupation like the associations, which unfortunately you neglect.

Do you have an idea what they do?

In developed countries, governments tackle issues in their parliaments, by policies and laws. The policies help to create an environment for change in the society (it’s not only by presence of prince/princess but by the help of the media, associations, education, research and studies, etc), while laws helps by empowering those who want to break social norms. Things are clear this way and everyone is protected by that law.
When this happens, the taboo is broken. If there are no policies and no law, there is nothing.

Telquel, Moroccan magazine qualified Aicha Shenna within the 50 Moroccans more influential (civil Corporation) http://www.telquel-online.com/138/couverture3_138_1.shtml

Aïcha ech-chenna (Pasionaria of the unmarried mothers)

Aïcha ech-chenna was the first one to take the position of the unmarried mothers to arms the body. And for that, one took him life lasts. Castigated by the Islamic ones, almost insulted on their supports, she nevertheless withstood, doing association "feminine Solidarity", that she directs, a success model. Unquestionably, thanks to her that the taboo of the unmarried mothers was broken, and that public opinion measured urgency, the one to take charge of these marginal others. Refusing the political assistant, Aïcha ech-chenna then offered them an employment, a salary, and self esteem. Restoration, and soon a high hammam standing, they are more and more numerous to find refuge to Feminine Solidarity. As for the test DNA, again she is who defended it - and continues to do it - "for that all the children of Morocco have a father". Rallying Mohammed VI to his cause, she became his protected one, proof some is this royal check of 200.000 dirhams granted to the association… and a decoration for his president.

for zineb
You constantly compare the princess salma to the other first ladies, then I made it also
Mathilde didn't go on the place of the drama, but she attended one official reception in favor of the victims (it is not her that organized this official reception, she went there, it’s all), in Fés none official reception is foreseen, but if it was I am sure that salma would go
when to the diary of mathilde that is very full, I would repeat what I already say, salma is a precursor, she is the first Moroccan king’s wife to have some activities, and it is more difficult than what made Mathilde, that she follows what made the Belgian heiresses princesses before her

liliana said:
for zineb
You constantly compare the princess salma to the other first ladies, then I made it also ....

I would repeat what I already say, salma is a precursor, she is the first Moroccan king’s wife to have some activities, and it is more difficult than what made Mathilde, that she follows what made the Belgian heiresses princesses before her
I never compare her to others. it's u who think she is perfect and better than others.

you said she is a precursor and the first Moroccan king’s wife to have some activities. people know that, but why she did this activities only accompanying first ladies in morocco and never alone?

I already said that moroccan women are out since decades, and people in morocco won't be surprised to see kin'g wife publicly. sisters of the king were seen many times. so who has strong power to keep samla at home and not allow her to do social work?
who is above the moroccan king and salma to decide for her not having social activities?

I dont agree that salma is only out for official duties. She should either be available for all different kinds of duty or stay at home just like the kings mother.I really dont think the Moroccons are happy seeing her doing nothing except with queen and princess's. Are official duties more important than her country?Is getting to know or great a Queen or Princess more important than helping the poor?Why is it we ony see her with them and not her country's people??

A lot of ppl have mentioned that lots of members of the royal family take public roles but I don't believe the wife of a king ever has. I know, for example, that Hassan's sister, Aisha, was ambassador to Italy but again, she was his sister - not his wife. It could be a custom that the King wants to preserve.

Whatever the case, I think the media hyped up Salma too much. We expected all these things from her but I don't think she is ever going to take that role. She's been married for a couple of years now and as she gets older she'll just have more excuses for staying at home.

I don't mind though. It's just that if I - or, I imagine, any of you girls - were in that position, I wouldn't want to stay home at all.

It is a protocol that the Kings wife stays at home.The kings mother NEVER appeared in public for openings etc. But if she somes out for parties and not helping her country, then I dont agree.I dont mind if once in a while she does both. But not just official things, and if she plans to do that, then i would really like her to stay at home. I actually prefer the kings sisters doing the work.

I dont think that King Muhammad wants to keep his wife at home. When he married Princess Salma and all the pictures of the new bride were released, everyone was saying that it was something that hadn't been done before. Since then, Lalla Salma has appeared either with the King's sisters or by herself to welcome royal and heads of state guests to Morocco. She has also made a trip by herself to Paris and at the Versailles Gala, something the King's sisters have done as well. To me it seems like she's gradually making herself more visible.

zineb said:
Guess Who I agree with u but beleive hard thats bcz of the protocol or someone else who decide for her. bcz how same protocol does oblige kings wife stays at home, doesnt social work in her country and oblige her to go for ski as other modern royals do
I totally agree with you.If it was all in her hands i think she would represent Morocco in a better way.And who with such a position would want to stay at home, dont think anyone would.

Sorry on my anglish, my french is beter
Princess salma is not like a president wife, she is a king wife. she has not to worry and she is not forced to show a good image of her self and her husband. they do not worry to be elected again, that is the reason.

marie-claire said:
Sorry on my anglish, my french is beter
Princess salma is not like a president wife, she is a king wife. she has not to worry and she is not forced to show a good image of her self and her husband. they do not worry to be elected again, that is the reason.

I don't share your opinion, salma is the first lady of Morocco, she representes the women of her country, she must give a good image through her way of behaving

rosa said:
I don't share your opinion, salma is the first lady of Morocco, she representes the women of her country, she must give a good image through her way of behaving
I agree with you.I think people will talk good about you if you behave well in public, i think that what counts the most

I agree with you rosa and guess who. Salma and the king have to care about the image she gives on herself because she represents Moroccan women in public. Three years ago when everyone heard the king wife will make public appearance and won’t be kept at the palace as lalla latifa, they believed she will do more than just receiving foreign first ladies. I guess lalla latifa had a busy private life and she was also receiving first ladies but that was only in the palace. So what’s then the difference between the two?

As it was said before it seems she is taking long time to think on what she wants to do. But doesn’t she get the help of other women in the government or the help and the advice of her husband to find something interesting?

Having a child doesn't stop a woman from work. An ordinary woman shares between daily activities outside home and children. Plus they don’t have all facilities and servants as salma has. So salma has all causes to have projects in her country: she is the wife of the first man in morocco and she has all facilities.

Or is she simply not motivated?

abir said:
I agree with you rosa and guess who. Salma and the king have to care about the image she gives on herself because she represents Moroccan women in public. Three years ago when everyone heard the king wife will make public appearance and won’t be kept at the palace as lalla latifa, they believed she will do more than just receiving foreign first ladies. I guess lalla latifa had a busy private life and she was also receiving first ladies but that was only in the palace. So what’s then the difference between the two?

As it was said before it seems she is taking long time to think on what she wants to do. But doesn’t she get the help of other women in the government or the help and the advice of her husband to find something interesting?

Having a child doesn't stop a woman from work. An ordinary woman shares between daily activities outside home and children. Plus they don’t have all facilities and servants as salma has. So salma has all causes to have projects in her country: she is the wife of the first man in morocco and she has all facilities.

Or is she simply not motivated?

perhaps, she want to work but the protocol obliges her to be less less active than other first ladies

isis said:
perhaps, she want to work but the protocol obliges her to be less less active than other first ladies
Isis, you may know, who is the protocol? the king or someone else?

isis said:
I don't think it is a protocol issue. My guess is that she is still looking for her way. She needs to find a field that interests her and on which she can be productive. Let's give her more time

As much as most participants on this particular thread found Princess Salma's personality and both public and personal life interesting to comment on - reading most of the thoughts that have been placed here in last few months left me with impression that there was very little of any remotely valid information regarding those issues which were, if not reliable, then at least interesting enough to be commented.

Although in most cases such as this, without personally knowing the person or having insight in her life - all we can basically do is speculating, doing it just for the sake of it by stating endlessly the very same, factually unreliable and, in some cases not exactly logical hypothesis on someone's life and personality gives rather poor reading to those who turn to this thread in hope to find some news about Lalla Salma.

Not to mention that some posts gave impression of intolerance and lack of good intentions in approach to the subject, at the least. No matter how positive or negative our personal opinions and perception of one person or her actions might be, trying to maintain tolerant and unbiased attitude towards issues we really don't know anything about seems only fair.

If, due to lack of news and photos, this thread can't be more colorful or informing, let's keep it interesting and amusing by speculating on issues without being so judgmental. I belive that we all would prefer to be treated this way if we were in a position to be judged, observed, opinionated, bashed or gossiped by general public, who, very often doesn't have the whole or clear picture. Let's keep the good spirits up. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Blueice said:
As much as most participants on this particular thread found Princess Salma's personality and both public and personal life interesting to comment on - reading most of the thoughts that have been placed here in last few months left me with impression that there was very little of any remotely valid information regarding those issues which were, if not reliable, then at least interesting enough to be commented.

Blueice, I see your disappointment and I guess it doesn’t differ from the disappointment of other members of this thread.

You were interested to read news of salma but you find only comments.
You may already understand the cause: she rarely makes appearance to public and if you didn’t know before, the MRF doesn’t have the reputation to make the headlines of the magazines.

The most important is what she gives for her country, for that, everyone notice that she is not active, except official ceremonies or galas.

In other threads there is always a mixture of news, pictures of royals and comments from the members. If in this thread there is no news or pictures of salma, then there is only space for comments and discussion. People were waiting to see her active and represent well Moroccan women and her country, but since she doesn’t, people do ask questions to understand why.

Salma is the first moroccan lady, she must be an example for all Moroccan women and shows that a woman is capable to make a lot more on different projects. But unfortuanetly she didn't and this is a very intersting subject to discuss about than to discuss on pictures and how well she choose her suit/shoes/bag, etc.

But since you didn’t participate in this discussion, it’s normal you have another opinion. I don't defend any other opinion but it' not a surprise if besides understanding why she is not active; people speak on “rumors” as there are many rumors speculating in other threads in this forum (even I don't beleive them). Telquel, a Moroccan magazine said on this subject: Lalla Salma appears only very rarely, and to inaugurate events that could inaugurate the concerned ministers. Nevertheless, one talked about his social fiber… Damage that she was not put to profit.Today, one does not speak anymore than rumors on Course life.

Last edited by a moderator:
~*~Humera~*~ said:
Its interesting that Lalla Salma doesn't chose to accompany her husband overseas. She's only been to France twice I believe.
And I dont buy the argument that Moroccan royal women are low profile.
Both princess Meryem and Hasna accompanied their brother and father to overseas visits many times. They've also represented Morocco at many royal weddings. They're always present at banquets in honour of other royals and statesmen.
I think Lalla Salma choses, at least until her son is a little older, to keep a low profile.
I am not sure whether she choses or does not chose to be in public....I personally do not know what is behind the scene (e.g the rules in the palace and the dynamics between Salma and the king's sisters, aunts, the king's mother)

Moon said:
I am not sure whether she choses or does not chose to be in public....I personally do not know what is behind the scene (e.g the rules in the palace and the dynamics between Salma and the king's sisters, aunts, the king's mother)
I think salma appearance or not, and the others appearance or not, is well studied by the palace, since all is a communication.
In any royal or presidential houses, there is communication department which advice the king/president how he/she should appear and with whom, etc.
So, I think it’s like that the palace communication decided to be for the moment. Salma can accompany the king when he welcomes foreign guests to show a modern monarchy, but it’s not necessary that she has social projects going in Morocco, etc, since it’s the king who has to do that. M6 is now on the throne only 5 years and he needs to be seen often for social projects in Morocco than salma. If salma is with him everywhere, the moroccan poeple may not get the whole message.
But when the king went to Latin America, that was 2 weeks states visits, which I think it's a lot for a first lady and small child.

Back
Top Bottom