The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-23-2005, 12:37 PM
Gentry

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JASMIN44
I'm sure of one thing that she did not work hard for anything, it was made for her. she is not the type that initiate anything , she is very submissive person, its very much felt when you see her.
And actually the role she plays now is very much symbolic, which made only to serve the king policy of giving the impression that there is an improvement in women statues and development in morocco.
If the king is looking for a woman to play an important role , for sure Salma would not be his choice. His choice would be a more mature and with experience person who at least match his age . In the end its politic guys. :)
you guys are never satisfied...you are just criticizing for the sake of it...You are even criticizing a man (the king) on why he chose a such woman (Salma) as a wife. I think he is entitled to this VERY PERSONAL choice...Before people were saying she is doing nothing just because she does not appear often in front of cameras or we did not hear that she is PUBLICLY involved in associations...Now, that she choose an association that makes more sense to her/she feels that she can give more for this type...you are not satisfied...

I guess Salma chose to chair such an association because her mother died of a cancer as mentioned by Tamy in the Royals..So, she feels more ownership to it...

Hopefully, by now some mouths will be shut!

Old 11-23-2005, 01:09 PM

Anyway I'm not the one who said why she is not seen on public very often, because I know very well that there will be no effect either way. Secondly I'm not criticizing the choice of the king. In politics and in country like morocco its not a matter of choice it’s a matter of must. This country politically is very complicated and one of the reason is because the sense of tradition is very strong. And the king tries always to satisfy this aspect. and what I mean here that for the king to merry a strong, open ,demanding and ambitious wife who came from a very prominent family will cause him only a trouble in a society used to see the wife of the king hidden with no role. For this she should be humble and thankful to whatever is given.

By the way I'm not comparing Salma to European Princesses, I'm Arab and I do understand the nature of Arab, but I do compare here with other women of her age in the same region, she has long way to go and I'm not sure whether she will be able to take or not!!!!!

Old 11-23-2005, 01:20 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen2005
you guys are never satisfied...you are just criticizing for the sake of it...You are even criticizing a man (the king) on why he chose a such woman (Salma) as a wife. I think he is entitled to this VERY PERSONAL choice...Before people were saying she is doing nothing just because she does not appear often in front of cameras or we did not hear that she is PUBLICLY involved in associations...Now, that she choose an association that makes more sense to her/she feels that she can give more for this type...you are not satisfied...

I guess Salma chose to chair such an association because her mother died of a cancer as mentioned by Tamy in the Royals..So, she feels more ownership to it...

Hopefully, by now some mouths will be shut!
ppl had right to think she was doing nothing. but wait, we just hear of the news, no results yet and u call it great activities.
reading news without critics means naivety
Old 11-23-2005, 05:19 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by zineb
i agree with u jasmin44. salma didn't have political role b4 and she is not a doctor to know better this field.
so they wanna give her a fabricated role. i wonder why her association gets money for the centre and not other associations for cancer who were working in morocco long time ago?
yes. She is not a doctor. Other Arab princesses who have charity organizations do not have degrees in social work, poverty, etc. either. People should give her a chance to grow into her role.

What's wrong with having a team help realize the center's goals? Do you think Diana who nominally headed tens of organizations did all the work herself? Diana's most important role was to serve as the face/symbol of the organization and to get it the attention to raise funds.

Also, she chose something that has meaning to her - her mother died of cancer.

I doubt critics will ever be satisified with Salma. No matter what she does it will not be enough.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:40 AM
Gentry

I applaud Salma's project and effort. About her being submissive, we don't know that. Just because we don't see her out alot doesn't mean she's not doing anything. After all, when you're performing a good deed your left hand is not supposed to know what your right hand is doing. She will be rewarded by God if her intentions are sincere and I don't doubt them because the project is so near and dear to her heart.
Old 11-24-2005, 06:50 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Times2222
yes. She is not a doctor. Other Arab princesses who have charity organizations do not have degrees in social work, poverty, etc. either. People should give her a chance to grow into her role.

What's wrong with having a team help realize the center's goals? Do you think Diana who nominally headed tens of organizations did all the work herself? Diana's most important role was to serve as the face/symbol of the organization and to get it the attention to raise funds.

Also, she chose something that has meaning to her - her mother died of cancer.

I doubt critics will ever be satisified with Salma. No matter what she does it will not be enough.
u find nowhere an association with Diana name
Diana is known by her global humanitarian work and raising money to support other associations for AIDS prevention, the hospice movement and landmine clearance.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madonna23
what i have never understood is why the King's sisters and female relatives can be active and his wife cannot. It is not something that just happened with Lalla Salma. For example, Lalla Aisha - King Hassan's sister - was ambassador to Italy and then to Britain but King Hassan's wives were barely visible. Many of the king's aunts are also active.

So why does this occur in Morocco? Does it have to do with culture, politics?
In many african families a private distinction is made of whether you are born of the family or married into it, and quite often being born into a family gives a higher ranking than even if you are married to the most senior in rank, age, or prestige member. For many a married woman, royal or not, you derive your highest profile from your children (sons), when they are grown, not your husband! To maintain a public profile, or a public voice, you need your husband's approval and encouragement, irrespective of your own accomplishments or otherwise (if you want to maintain a happy marriage.) It is often one rule for the sisters etc (who are usually unhappily married if married at all) and another rule for wives!
Old 11-28-2005, 04:55 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemelli
In many african families a private distinction is made of whether you are born of the family or married into it, and quite often being born into a family gives a higher ranking than even if you are married to the most senior in rank, age, or prestige member. For many a married woman, royal or not, you derive your highest profile from your children (sons), when they are grown, not your husband! To maintain a public profile, or a public voice, you need your husband's approval and encouragement, irrespective of your own accomplishments or otherwise (if you want to maintain a happy marriage.) It is often one rule for the sisters etc (who are usually unhappily married if married at all) and another rule for wives!
good analysis gemelli. what happen if salma didn't give birth to a son?
the king could have a second wife to have a male or he could leave the throne to his brother?
Old 04-18-2006, 06:32 AM
Gentry

for what I saw, she is a very shy lady, and not very confident on herself, I hope that the fact that she is more active now, will take her confidence on herself
Old 06-04-2006, 07:30 AM
Courtier

I really wonder if she enjoy doing her job as "queen / wife" of the king???
Personaly I have a feeling that she must do that and that she isn't happy at all when she is doing that. We can see it on her body language. I think that she wants to be a "normal wife" taking care of her husband and son and not more. There is a lot of pressure on her to do charity works, going to the meeting, etc...

The king likes to give a modern image about himself as a modern king with pushing her to do some work. But does princess Salma enjoy that??? That's the question.

It was too good to be true...
Old 06-12-2006, 09:05 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joumana
I really wonder if she enjoy doing her job as "queen / wife" of the king???
Personaly I have a feeling that she must do that and that she isn't happy at all when she is doing that. We can see it on her body language. I think that she wants to be a "normal wife" taking care of her husband and son and not more. There is a lot of pressure on her to do charity works, going to the meeting, etc...

The king likes to give a modern image about himself as a modern king with pushing her to do some work. But does princess Salma enjoy that??? That's the question.
I just feel even now despite being in the public eye for a long time - that she is still uncomfortable with the press and photographers. Hopefully over time she will gain confidence. I think there is a part of her that does enjoy her duties. But i would like to see her do more charity work etc. That is increase her profile and perform more public duties.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:59 PM
Heir Apparent

I think that she is a very beautiful woman, and is doing an amazing job in which she is the first to do so. Since she is the very first publicly acknowledged spouse of a Moroccan royal, she is stepping up to the plate with no visible missteps, so I applaud her!
Old 09-26-2006, 05:57 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress
I think that she is a very beautiful woman, and is doing an amazing job in which she is the first to do so. Since she is the very first publicly acknowledged spouse of a Moroccan royal, she is stepping up to the plate with no visible missteps, so I applaud her!
hello,
Do not exaggerate not all !! Lalla Latifa was not visible... but carried out well her job...
then Lalla salma does not come from the North Pole... they are not the models of Princesses who miss.....
She can take as a starting point look at the Morrocan Princess and women befor...
When one do not know one looks around would be, one learns... One can be allowed to make imaginations and to impose its style (if it is taxable, which is really not the case of this young woman) once that that is sure and is voted by plebiscite.....
Honestly this orange festival, of sharp yellow, these to flashy colors and its awkward cuts... you put them on the account as she is the first visible wife ...... I find that apart from the fact that it is a pretty plant, it does not return concealed homage to the élégance of the Moroccan woman
Old 09-26-2006, 10:56 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikram
hello,
Do not exaggerate not all !! Lalla Latifa was not visible... but carried out well her job...
then Lalla salma does not come from the North Pole... they are not the models of Princesses who miss.....
She can take as a starting point look at the Morrocan Princess and women befor...
When one do not know one looks around would be, one learns... One can be allowed to make imaginations and to impose its style (if it is taxable, which is really not the case of this young woman) once that that is sure and is voted by plebiscite.....
Honestly this orange festival, of sharp yellow, these to flashy colors and its awkward cuts... you put them on the account as she is the first visible wife ...... I find that apart from the fact that it is a pretty plant, it does not return concealed homage to the élégance of the Moroccan woman
I think that Empress mean that lalla salma was the first visible first lady in morocco.as for lalla latifa I never hear about any think she do except after hassan2 death!! now yes I hear about help she gives to alot of people just like the other princesses (lalla meryem,lalla asmaa and lalla hasna) and Of course lalla salma there is alot of work she do without The informational coverage.and I can give example because I know Personally some poeple who Benefited from her help.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:34 PM
Aristocracy

Moroccan princesses used to be involved in public and associative duties in Morocco already under king Mohamed V and king Hassan II,but princess Lalla Salma is the first princess consort who was knowen publicly and participates in the same duties as the other moroccan princesses born.

I think that Salma can make a plus as she's the most educated of the moroccan princesses with her computer engineering master degree that many moroccan women can take example from her brillant studies and education.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:51 AM
Nobility

What you say is true.
But when one you know a little near or by far the Moroccan society, one let us know that it was called Bennani, and that it is normal of share its medium, the Moroccan upper middle classes which revolves of very close around the royal family that the fact that it is made studies is normal, it is the case of all the children of middle-class man or woman in Morocco.......
The only example which it gives, it is that it reinforces the place of the Fassia middle-class (of fez) near the royal power...... Then me, apart from these studies and about his medium
I spoke about these very serious error of taste which is undeniable...... and this same for the provincial most moved back Morrocans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salomé
Moroccan princesses used to be involved in public and associative duties in Morocco already under king Mohamed V and king Hassan II,but princess Lalla Salma is the first princess consort who was knowen publicly and participates in the same duties as the other moroccan princesses born.

I think that Salma can make a plus as she's the most educated of the moroccan princesses with her computer engineering master degree that many moroccan women can take example from her brillant studies and education.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:14 AM
Gentry

Very often I read persons who say that, we must admire her because she is the first, king's wife who is visible, perhaps I would admire her if she was the first visible Moroccan Princess, but it's not the case, king's aunts and sisters, before her, have a public life, then she isn't at all a precursor, she don't make anything more than what make other Moroccan princesses

About her beauty, for me, princess Lalla Salma can be list with the enough cute ladies, but not the beautiful, I think that it’s her theatrical look; very flashy with a hairdo of a lady of Middle Ages, who makes persons focus on her, if no, I don’t understand why persons say that she is beautiful since she has many features that aren’t beautiful
Old 09-27-2006, 09:21 AM
Heir Presumptive

Exclamation

that's right when you say the praincesses (lalla meryem ,lalla asmaa and lalla hasnaor or lalla aisha,lalla malika..) have In advance a public life,and I think nobody Expects from lalla salma to do more than them even if I saw she do more than them (in puplic) and I don't mean the Importance or the Use from what she do (the trip to thailland,to newyork and now her international symposium on cervical cancer but the princesses we don't see them from period).Generally in morocco there is no importance to the princesses work but the more important it's the king work.
but I must say that I think there is defference between lalla salma and the other princesses : she get more Attraction than them her in morocco (cover of many moroccan magazine and newspapersbut we don't see the same thing with the other princesses),and Outside too.and people care more about her Behavior than the other princesses:for example lalla meryem give speech in the Eleventh National Congress for Children's Rights and she was more than worst it was a Disaster she was unable to say the words correctlly, and nobody Said a word about it,in the same event she wasn't elegante at all I am sur that alot of Noticed that but mybye some thinks that it's not big deal or they thinks that it's just good to be there or mybye because she is not the first lady!! but when lalla salma give speech there were Many observations about it!! about how elegante she was or not...
Old 09-27-2006, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Brunei, Malaysia & Dubai

Please let's not have this thread degenerate into a comparison between Lalla Salma and other Moroccan princesses. Some people think Lalla Salma is the first public/visible Moroccan princess while others disagree.
We've had enough comments for both sides on this topic and the discussion doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

Let's move on to the topic of Lalla Salma's current events.

Thank you
Humera
Royal Family of Morocco Moderator
Old 06-09-2007, 12:49 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_star
That is not strictly true.

The King's sisters have been photographed in the past, just not very often. Moreover Lalla Hasna and Lalla Meryem are much more active and have far busier schedules than Salma. Compared to them her role at times can seem pointless.
Being the king's sister is the same as being the king's wife who until recently was not given a royal title or photographed.