Emperor Akihito & Empress Michiko Current Events Part 2: September 2006- January 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
*~SIGH~* The things the IHA would do to get what they want......its Empress Michiko and Crown Princess Masako who become victims for some stupidly, rather ridiculous, ancient traditions that have no place in this day in age. Not saying all traditions are all bad or should be got rid of. Sad really. :sad: Personally, I would not want to put myself into that kind of situation if I had the choice.....then again.....its not like they had choice....

Last edited:
The subtext there being, I expect, that despite what Ben Hills's book might have said or implied, the Emperor and Empress have very tough schedules whereas Masako is pretty much just a freeloader and needs to get out and contribute more.

They aren't going to help matters if they push Masako right back into a state of collapse by pretending that she's responsible, directly or indirectly, for the Empress's problems.

Elspeth said:
The subtext there being, I expect, that despite what Ben Hills's book might have said or implied, the Emperor and Empress have very tough schedules whereas Masako is pretty much just a freeloader and needs to get out and contribute more.

They aren't going to help matters if they push Masako right back into a state of collapse by pretending that she's responsible, directly or indirectly, for the Empress's problems.

Who can trust little men in grey suits? Are they being truthful about the Empress's condition? Remember, a professional makeup artist can transform anyone into a fragile old woman. With both Michiko and Masako sidelined, Kiko will no doubt take over the Empress's official duties thereby giving her the edge on becoming the next first lady as the crown couple gets pushed further out of the limelight.

In this photo released by the Imperial Household Agency of Japan, Bolivian President Evo Marales, right, speaks with Japanese Emperor Akihito at the Imperial Palace in Tokyo Thursday, March 8, 2007.

Photos from AP via Yahoo

Japanese Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko wait for Georgia's President Mikheil Saakashvili to arrive at the palace in Tokyo March 9, 2007. Japan's emperor and empress should be freed of some of their official duties, the Imperial Household Agency said, after Empress Michiko was found to be suffering from what appears to be a stress-related illness.

Photos from Reuters and Ap via Yahoo

Close ups of the Empress from the photos above

My Gods....she looks so weak....how can she go on like this? I really admire her for having the strength to show up in public despite her own physical condition and her so-called "psychological" condition.

Japan's empress said suffering stress
It's not easy being a woman in Japan's royal family. Four years after Crown Princess Masako dropped most of her official duties to recover from what officials say is a form of depression brought about by the pressures of adjusting to life in the palace, Empress Michiko is now suffering from a wide array of symptoms stemming from severe stress.
Officials announced last week that Michiko, 72, is canceling her schedule for the time being to recover from intestinal bleeding, nose bleeds and mouth ulcers. She had been feeling ill since catching a cold last month, the palace said.
The empress' illness highlights the pressures and secrecy surrounding Japan's royal family, which is believed to be the oldest in the world but has fallen on hard times in recent years because of a succession crisis and, more recently, some bad press.
"It is believed that the empress is suffering from symptoms related to psychological stress," said Ichiro Kanazawa, the palace's chief medical supervisor. Officials said they believed recent coverage of the royal family might be to blame........
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070312/ap_on_re_as/japan_heavy_crowns_1

In this photo released by the Imperial Household Agency of Japan, Liberian President Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf, right, speaks with Japanese Emperor Akihito at the Imperial Palace in Tokyo Monday, March 12, 2007. Johnson-Sirleaf is on a four-day visit to Japan.

1 (AP Photo/The Imperial Household Agency of Japan, HO)
Another photo from JIJI press

I hope the Empress will get better soon. I don't know how do they live their life in the palace but it seems that they (Empress and Masako) have a hard time.

The Emperor and Empress giving an audience to Sri Lanka's Parliment speaker at the Imperial Palace on March 14, 2007.

Photo from Mainichi news

Anyone knows how the Empress is doing now? Any news on her health, improvement/developments or is she still on her break?

Anyone knows how the Empress is doing now? Any news on her health, improvement/developments or is she still on her break?

Japan's Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko smiles as they are greeted by employees upon their arrival at the imperial farm in Takanezawa, north of Tokyo, Thursday, March, 29, 2007. They will stay at the farm with the family of their second son Prince Akishino.

Photos from AP via Yahoo

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Visit to Japan of His Excellency Mr. Wen Jiabao Premier of the State Council of the People's Republic of China

March 27, 2007

His Excellency Mr. Wen Jiabao, Premier of the State Council of the People's Republic of China, will pay an Official Visit to Japan from April 11 to 13, 2007.
During his stay in Japan, the Premier of the State Council will be received in audience by His Majesty the Emperor of Japan.
Mr. Shinzo Abe, Prime Minister of Japan, will hold a meeting with the Premier of the State Council.
The Government of Japan sincerely welcomes the visit of the Premier of the State Council, which will further strengthen the friendly relationship between Japan and the People's Republic of China.

from MOFA

Last edited:
I hope the Empress will be better. She looks so weak and little! :sad: I always admired her and it's sad to see her in such condition...

This said, I must add I'm a little surprised not to find a single line about the three earthquakes Japan suffered about these last days. There was even mortal victims. Did the Emperor performs something special for the surviving victims? :neutral:

Vanesa.

Mandy said:
Who can trust little men in grey suits? Are they being truthful about the Empress's condition? Remember, a professional makeup artist can transform anyone into a fragile old woman. With both Michiko and Masako sidelined, Kiko will no doubt take over the Empress's official duties thereby giving her the edge on becoming the next first lady as the crown couple gets pushed further out of the limelight.

Hey, this isn't Kiko or her husband's fault. If Kiko is taking on more roles, its because quite clearly she's the only female member of the royal family that can actually handle them..IF Masako wanted the limelight, I'm sure she would be doing more imperial duties. If anything, I have a feeling that Kiko's steadness is a relief in the royal family..
And if I recall correctly many members of the royal family were quite mad at the Crown Prince's statements about his wife. His sister made a comment about how their mother had gone through quite a lot of personal pain herself, implying that the crown prince's words were making it worse.

Last edited:
bekalc said:
Hey, this isn't Kiko or her husband's fault. If Kiko is taking on more roles, its because quite clearly she's the only female member of the royal family that can actually handle them..IF Masako wanted the limelight, I'm sure she would be doing more imperial duties. If anything, I have a feeling that Kiko's steadness is a relief in the royal family..
And if I recall correctly many members of the royal family were quite mad at the Crown Prince's statements about his wife. His sister made a comment about how their mother had gone through quite a lot of personal pain herself, implying that the crown prince's words were making it worse.

He knows that his mother had suffered (probably still is) in the past, perhaps he was trying to prevent Masako from having to go through that. Learn from the past, and improve upon it. Perhaps he is trying to correct some mistake from the past or try to prevent one from taking place based on the information from the past. History is a very useful thing. There is always another side to the story you know.

It is probable that the Emperor and the Empress wants to avoid Princess Masako suffer from more stress troubles. She is just improving a severe stress episode, so is good for her to rest a little. As for Princess Kiko, I'm happy she could demonstrate how could she help the whole family with her attitude...And I can't said I aprove the Crownprince's statesment about his wife. They were at unworthy, to said the least! :sad:

Vanesa.

P.S: No earthquake news? How strange...

That's just it, they haven't learnt from their past mistakes. Empress Michiko suffered an adjustment syndrome when she was crown princess and when the same thing happened to Princess Masako it took them over two years to do anything constructive about it. And no, Akishino never supported his brother Naruhito nor his sister-in-law Masako because he was too busy trying to push them out of favour while ingratiating himself with IHA.

Obviously things have change very little since the first half of the 20th century. One would think that such a technologically advanced country as Japan would be more open to change than this. Empress Michiko had already suffered as Crown Princess, now as Empress. This is exactly what is happening to Crown Princess Masako, and I suspect, unless some changes are made, will go through the samething as Empress Michiko when the times come.

As for Akishino, he really isnt helping at all. Having third child and a boy at that, just kick the Crown Princely family out of the way is just making it worse. And the attitude is just going overboard. To be honest, I think he's the black sheep of the flock.

dragonsfire8 said:
Obviously things have change very little since the first half of the 20th century. One would think that such a technologically advanced country as Japan would be more open to change than this. Empress Michiko had already suffered as Crown Princess, now as Empress. This is exactly what is happening to Crown Princess Masako, and I suspect, unless some changes are made, will go through the samething as Empress Michiko when the times come.

As for Akishino, he really isnt helping at all. Having third child and a boy at that, just kick the Crown Princely family out of the way is just making it worse. And the attitude is just going overboard. To be honest, I think he's the black sheep of the flock.

What? The emperor asked Akishino and the Crown Prince to try again. And reports are that Masako has actually been doing better since the little boy was born.

And, From the little bit I read Akishino is most certainly not the black sheep of the family. Akishino even arranged his own sister's marriage. If anything Akishino may be the rock.

Technological advances doesn't means that a country must change its traditions. This is a very delicate thing. Only Japanese people must decide about what they really wants of their Imperial Family. This is not related to us, foreigns. We may discuss issues and propose what we'll like for Japan ourselves, but actually this doesn't counts. And if Japanese people wants thing keeping like they are , we must not object it. If all countries were the same in culture and traditions our world will be terribiling boring...Actually, world is beginning to be boring ... :rolleyes:

I do not wish to see Empress Michiko nor Crownprincess Masako suffering. This is out of question. But I wouldn't see Prince Akishino's family having a bad time , either. If he is "guilty" of having a son, I think he can do anything about it. Prince Hisahito is already born and must have a nice childhood, as well of Princess Aiko. It is unjust to made up rivals from the two Imperial brothers (Prince Naruhito and Prince Akishino) and ennemies the two Imperial Princesses (Masako and Kiko). I hope they are not. Some posters seems to be angry to Princess Kiko for a baby boy was born from her, and others couldn't hide that they hate the poor thing just for he is a boy.

We can't push Japan for they changes the succesion rules. This is a japanese affair, and in any case, Prince Naruhito and Prince Akishino are not guilty of anything.

Vanesa.

In this photo released by the Imperial Household Agency of Japan, Thai Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont, left, and his wife, Chitravadee, right, speak with Japanese Emperor Akihito, third from left, and Empress Michiko, third from right, respectively during their audience at the Imperial Palace in Tokyo, Thursday, April 5, 2007. Surayud was on his official visit to Japan, marking the 120th anniversary of Japan-Thai diplomatic relations. Interpreters are unidentified.

Photo from AP via Yahoo

Japanese Empress Michiko, left, listens to Tamayo Iimura, curator of Meguro Museum, explain as she visits an exhibition, 'Illustration for Children in Czech and its Relation with Animation Films,' in Tokyo Friday, April 6, 2007. This is the empress' first public appearance since she took breaks from her official duties after suffering from a wide array of symptoms stemming from severe stress.

Photos from AP via Yahoo

Vanesa said:
Technological advances doesn't means that a country must change its traditions. This is a very delicate thing. Only Japanese people must decide about what they really wants of their Imperial Family. This is not related to us, foreigns. We may discuss issues and propose what we'll like for Japan ourselves, but actually this doesn't counts. And if Japanese people wants thing keeping like they are , we must not object it. If all countries were the same in culture and traditions our world will be terribiling boring...Actually, world is beginning to be boring ... :rolleyes:

Vanesa.

I agree. Also, the Japanese royal family "modernized" when they allowed commoners to marry into their family, and well so far that hasn't gone so well. 2 out 3 women have had mental breakdowns. And the one who didn't have a breakdown isn't Empress/or going to be empress.

I think that people need to ask if the royal family is actually ready for Aiko to be empress. And I think that is a legitimate question. Seeing as Aiko's grandmother and mother have both been driven to mental breakdowns, and that's just from marrying the Emperor/ Crown Prince. One has to ask what added pressure would be on Aiko if she was responsible for both carrying the future Emperor and being emperor. Added to the pressure of being the first female emperor in ages. Yes, female rulers have worked in the past, but female rulers were never responsible for actually producing the heir/in and of themselves, while being empress.

There is already a history of mental problems on both sides of Aiko's family. And people in the name of "gender equality" could be wishing for a terrible fate on this young little girl.

I'm not saying that Japan should never have a female empress. But I also think that perhaps there actually has to be some baby steps. Like perhaps they could first work on making sure that the next crown prince's wife, isn't driven to mental breakdowns. I just think that the situation with the Empress, and the Crown Princess suggest that there are a lot of things the royal family could work on before, introducing more changes, when they haven't even adjusted to the changes they already introduced.

bekalc said:
What? The emperor asked Akishino and the Crown Prince to try again. And reports are that Masako has actually been doing better since the little boy was born.
bekalc said:
And, From the little bit I read Akishino is most certainly not the black sheep of the family. Akishino even arranged his own sister's marriage. If anything Akishino may be the rock.

That maybe true (both Masako getting better after the birth & Akishino arranging his sister's marriage) but dont you think there is something a little odd about it? Im Pretty sure (correct me if Im wrong) that both Naruhito and Akishino basically looked for their own wives on their own, yet it takes someone to look for a husband for Sayako?

Vanesa said:
Technological advances doesn't means that a country must change its traditions. This is a very delicate thing. Only Japanese people must decide about what they really wants of their Imperial Family. This is not related to us, foreigns. We may discuss issues and propose what we'll like for Japan ourselves, but actually this doesn't counts. And if Japanese people wants thing keeping like they are , we must not object it. If all countries were the same in culture and traditions our world will be terribiling boring...Actually, world is beginning to be boring ...
Vanesa said:
I do not wish to see Empress Michiko nor Crown princess Masako suffering. This is out of question. But I wouldn't see Prince Akishino's family having a bad time , either. If he is "guilty" of having a son, I think he can do anything about it. Prince Hisahito is already born and must have a nice childhood, as well of Princess Aiko. It is unjust to made up rivals from the two Imperial brothers (Prince Naruhito and Prince Akishino) and enemies the two Imperial Princesses (Masako and Kiko). I hope they are not. Some posters seems to be angry to Princess Kiko for a baby boy was born from her, and others couldn't hide that they hate the poor thing just for he is a boy.

We can't push Japan for they changes the succession rules. This is a Japanese affair, and in any case, Prince Naruhito and Prince Akishino are not guilty of anything.

I agree with you, I personally don’t have anything against Hisahito. I think he's a cute kid. I'm just a little miffed at all the tabloids have been going on about the rivalries between the 2 families. If anything, I'm just a little suspicious of the timing, that’s all. I'm not at all blaming either sides of anything just wondering if it was at all planed.

bekalc said:
I agree. Also, the Japanese royal family "modernized" when they allowed commoners to marry into their family, and well so far that hasn't gone so well. 2 out 3 women have had mental breakdowns. And the one who didn't have a breakdown isn't Empress/or going to be empress.

I think that people need to ask if the royal family is actually ready for Aiko to be empress. And I think that is a legitimate question. Seeing as Aiko's grandmother and mother have both been driven to mental breakdowns, and that's just from marrying the Emperor/ Crown Prince. One has to ask what added pressure would be on Aiko if she was responsible for both carrying the future Emperor and being emperor. Added to the pressure of being the first female emperor in ages. Yes, female rulers have worked in the past, but female rulers were never responsible for actually producing the heir/in and of themselves, while being empress.

There is already a history of mental problems on both sides of Aiko's family. And people in the name of "gender equality" could be wishing for a terrible fate on this young little girl.

I'm not saying that Japan should never have a female empress. But I also think that perhaps there actually has to be some baby steps. Like perhaps they could first work on making sure that the next crown prince's wife, isn't driven to mental breakdowns. I just think that the situation with the Empress, and the Crown Princess suggest that there are a lot of things the royal family could work on before, introducing more changes, when they haven't even adjusted to the changes they already introduced.

I cant say that I completely agree with you, but you do have some good points. I agree that some baby steps are needed to change the system, perhaps lessen the pressure put on the Imperial family. All I'm saying that the Japanese need to consider some alternatives. As for putting all the pressure on Aiko, I agree that it may not be a good idea to do so, but what about putting pressure of fathering a heir to the throne on Hisahito's shoulders, and he's only a few months old?

Last edited:
dragonsfire8 said:
Im Pretty sure (correct me if Im wrong) that both Naruhito and Akishino basically looked for their own wives on their own, yet it takes someone to look for a husband for Sayako?

I'm not at all blaming either sides of anything just wondering if it was at all planed.

I cant say that I completely agree with you, but you do have some good points. I agree that some baby steps are needed to change the system, perhaps lessen the pressure put on the Imperial family. All I'm saying that the Japanese need to consider some alternatives. As for putting all the pressure on Aiko, I agree that it may not be a good idea to do so, but what about putting pressure of fathering a heir to the throne on Hisahito's shoulders, and he's only a few months old?

Even in the present day arranged marriages are quite common in Japan amongst ordinary people particularly once both males and females start hitting their late 30's. There's a chance that Sayako's marriage was arranged as she was 35 and unmarried. Akishino played the matchmaker, Yoshiki Kuroda was a university friend of his, the right age and unmarried. Akishino provided the place for them to meet then it was up to the 2 of them to decide if they would continue meeting. That's the way the Japanese matching making happens, if the couple decide they have nothing in common after meeting they go their separate ways. Sayako was given the freedom to find her own partner but obviously didn't, arrived at the age of 35 and decided to go the match making route.

The Japanese are considering alternatives to the succession, but it doesn't make for sensational storylines to read rational comments. The pragmatists have already stated that Hisahito's birth hasn't solved the problem of succession in the Imperial Family it's only delayed it. People are realistic and know that a solitary Emperor isn't going to work and what if he turns out to be infertile or no-one will marry him or gay or dies young? Things will change in the future, the survival of the Imperial Family is balanced too precariously.

Far from Akishino been seen as the 'black sheep' of the family, by conservative monarchists he's been seen as the saviour, he and Kiko. Interesting comment by a Japanese poster in one of the threads about the popularity of the Akishino family, there are numerous Japanese fan sites for them. Among the things they are admired for is saving the succession and their dutiful daughters.

The timing of Hisahito's birth couldn't have been deliberately timed, Akishino and Kiko were under pressure to produce a third child from 2002. There are statements from the Chief Steward of the IHA at the time saying he wanted the CP couple to try for a 2nd child and Akishino and Kiko to try for a 3rd. Regardless whether it was a natural conception or IVF as the conspiracy theorists like to point out it took time for Kiko to conceive. They were being 'good' and dutiful and fulfilled their obligations as members of the Imperial Family there's nothing underhanded or going for the one upmanship in it. Their life will get more restrictive not less once they become heirs to Naruhito and Masako, they were better off before.

Charlotte1 said:
Even in the present day arranged marriages are quite common in Japan amongst ordinary people particularly once both males and females start hitting their late 30's. There's a chance that Sayako's marriage was arranged as she was 35 and unmarried. Akishino played the matchmaker, Yoshiki Kuroda was a university friend of his, the right age and unmarried. Akishino provided the place for them to meet then it was up to the 2 of them to decide if they would continue meeting. That's the way the Japanese matching making happens, if the couple decide they have nothing in common after meeting they go their separate ways. Sayako was given the freedom to find her own partner but obviously didn't, arrived at the age of 35 and decided to go the match making route.

The Japanese are considering alternatives to the succession, but it doesn't make for sensational storylines to read rational comments. The pragmatists have already stated that Hisahito's birth hasn't solved the problem of succession in the Imperial Family it's only delayed it. People are realistic and know that a solitary Emperor isn't going to work and what if he turns out to be infertile or no-one will marry him or gay or dies young? Things will change in the future, the survival of the Imperial Family is balanced too precariously.

Far from Akishino been seen as the 'black sheep' of the family, by conservative monarchists he's been seen as the saviour, he and Kiko. Interesting comment by a Japanese poster in one of the threads about the popularity of the Akishino family, there are numerous Japanese fan sites for them. Among the things they are admired for is saving the succession and their dutiful daughters.

The timing of Hisahito's birth couldn't have been deliberately timed, Akishino and Kiko were under pressure to produce a third child from 2002. There are statements from the Chief Steward of the IHA at the time saying he wanted the CP couple to try for a 2nd child and Akishino and Kiko to try for a 3rd. Regardless whether it was a natural conception or IVF as the conspiracy theorists like to point out it took time for Kiko to conceive. They were being 'good' and dutiful and fulfilled their obligations as members of the Imperial Family there's nothing underhanded or going for the one upmanship in it. Their life will get more restrictive not less once they become heirs to Naruhito and Masako, they were better off before.

Thats fine with me, that Sayako decided on this route for marriage. It her choice.

But seriously, dont you think it is a little odd that Hisahito was born with such a big gap in years between he and his sisters? It cant be that difficult to concieve that it takes well over a decade. (I know full well about human biology, so there is no need to point that out.) And yes, I know that they were being "dutiful" and being the "saviour" of the family, and they would know that "their lives would be more restrictive not less once they become the heirs to Naruhito and Masako" why would they want to go through with it when armed with that knowlege? That is they want to please Their parents, The Emperor and Empress, or traditionalists.

bekalc said:

Good points.

And thank you for the info about Princess Aiko having a history of mental problems in both sides of her family...Are you sure you mean "Princess Aiko", or did you want to said "Princess Masako"? In any case, I'm surprised. I didn't know this.:ermm:

Vanesa.

dragonsfire8 said:
Thats fine with me, that Sayako decided on this route for marriage. It her choice.

But seriously, dont you think it is a little odd that Hisahito was born with such a big gap in years between he and his sisters? It cant be that difficult to concieve that it takes well over a decade. (I know full well about human biology, so there is no need to point that out.) And yes, I know that they were being "dutiful" and being the "saviour" of the family, and they would know that "their lives would be more restrictive not less once they become the heirs to Naruhito and Masako" why would they want to go through with it when armed with that knowlege? That is they want to please Their parents, The Emperor and Empress, or traditionalists.

No; it's not odd that Prince Hisahito has born with such "big gap" in year between he and his siters. I have a case in my own family (who is not Royal, of course! :lol: ) and know others. One of my in laws aunty, had TWENTY years old when her twin brothers José and Alberto were born...An accident? Their parents claimed that it was what it happened. They wouldn't excpect to have more children, since they were ready to have grandchildren...In fact, José and Alfredo are now two years older than their eldest nephew! Another case I knows was the one of a teacher of mine from High School. Her parents called them "the mistake". She already had four older brothers and sisters, and when they parents are preparing themselves to marry the eldest of his children (Julio, who has 21 years old at the time), their last daughter was born. The littlest of "the first volley of children", Elizabeth, had 15...A good gap...isn't it? :rolleyes: In these two cases, the gap is biggest than in the Princesses Kako and Mako and their little brother. Then, I know a very close case in my own family where the gap is not so big: my mother is seven years older than her sister (with any other sibling being born in the middle) , and my two cousins, Enrique and Adriana has exactly EIGHT years between the two.

At the other hand...What if Prince Akishino and Princess Kiko wanted to search a boy for them? All families wants to have mixed children, boys and girls and they already have two girls. If they could have this baby boy, and in view of Japan laws, he is now the Heir of the Throne, this is not our bussiness. And if the Emperor asked them to try to have another baby in order of assuring the dinasty and they did it, this is not our bussiness either. Good for them.

I will never be like those people who doesn't like Prince Hisahito only for he is "the mean boy" who comes just to stea the throne to poor Princess Aiko. Both of them are cousins and it is better for them to be friends and to love each other, as members of the same family.

Happy Easter for all of you.
Vanesa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom