Prince Henrik Retiring from Official Duties as of January 1, 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is weird
when you click the link, the address bar of the webiste, includes regentparret and family
"/regentparret-og-den-kongelige-familie-viser-sig-paa-balkonen-kl-1200"
but on the event itself its the Queen and family
dont know if it means anything

I hope he does show on Saturday

He will appear; I bet my Saturday cup of coffee on it! (mods: we should have a Royal Forums off-track wagering facility!:lol:) I think whoever manages the Royal court website is also hedging any and all possibilities of a (non) Princely appearance but....any man knows when the Boss must be obeyed. The Prince has had due warning, he will not risk more than what he has already lost, mark my words!:previous::bang::lol:

Last edited:
Since the word Consort is specifically removed, could this indicate there is a more serious and formal marital separation between QMII and PH? Just wondering... :ermm:

These are interesting speculations. Perhaps he has decided to completely retire from public life. We'll just have to await developments.

A change in the status of a Royal that chooses to retire, is not completely unheard of, as in the examples of the Dutch monarchs when they retire and so on. However, the lack of clarity when it comes to Prince Henrik, is unusual from a professional Court, both in terms of his retirement itself, and the consequences thereof.
The title of Prince Consort was constructed long after the Queen began her reign, and is somewhat along the lines of Queen-Consort Elizabeth being referred to as the Queen Mother after the death of the King, to avoid confusing her with her daughter reigning under the same name. I seem to remember Prince Henrik in an interview explaining the change with a desire to distinguish and make it clearer who was who, and that the generic term 'the Prince' would not apply to the consort of the Queen.

To remove it in the middle of April, months after his announced retirement, without any explanations, will unavoidably give the impression that this is arbitrary in one way or another. What the change signifies can only be speculated upon, but the confusion that has taken place with the changes to the Princes activities and now status, seems a missed opportunity by the Royal Court to properly and adequately explain an issue that does not make itself clear, when it's based on facts the public do not get to know.

It could indicate a practical separation for a reigning couple, and it might just be a natural step to signify that the Queen is now alone in her duties, and not part of a reigning couple representing the nation. It could be the Prince being punished for his choices, and it could just be the Queen preparing the ground for the Crown Princely couple to take up more space on the royal calendar, and to make it clear that they will henceforth be 2nd behind her, at every event and function. As it stands right now, there is no way we can know.

Had the Court chosen to lay it out clearly, the speculations would had been avoided, and no damage would be done to the monarchy itself. The way it stands now, leaves it open for concerns, debate and criticism, that might not benefit neither the institution, nor the people involved.

Last edited:
Glancing at the articles today about PH's new title (and there are many!) the majority leave an impression of bewilderment. And as such there are loads of speculations.

There are basically two lines of thought from the various experts (more or less experts). Going from this being a de facto divorce to PH basically sitting down declaring: "That's it! I'm no longer of part of the show", hence his decision to go back to being a Prince. That is attributed to either PH's pride and temper or that he wish to underline with a very big brush that he has retired!

That it should be QMII's decision is not mentioned, presumably because the experts relate to the official statement from the court, which clearly says it was PH's decision.
But as I said yesterday, that however is very much the word on the street.

Common for practically all the articles is confusion. Why the change in his title? Why now? What does it mean?

Interestingly none of the articles blame QMII of anything.

- It's also an ongoing line of speculation for me and right now my best bid is this:
Some time in late November or early December PH went on and on again about not being king. Perhaps saying something along the lines of him better retiring.
QMII, who at this time may have had enough, responded: "Okay. We'll retire you officially from 1st January. That's what you want, right"!?!
And PH would have been standing there with his jaw between his feet. Unable to retract because he would lose face.

PH went on his walkabout in January and February and when he finally returned for Easter, he may have discovered to his disappointment that the sun still rise each morning and that the DRF has adapted to the situation and is moving on without him. And that his eldest son is now number two privately as well as officially...
That may have lead him to have another fit, something like: "Well, I might just as well be dead! I'm nobody! Well, fine! Then I won't have anything to do with the whole show. I'll just be a Prince, since I'm no better than Felix or Vincent". And QMII may have responded: "As you wish. Prince Henrik it is then". And once more PH may have been left standing with his jaw between his feet.

I think PH is like the little boy who threatens to run away from home, but what he really wants is to be cuddled by his mother. Well, this time mother didn't cuddle him...
As Emmily so very well put it: QMII has called his bluff.

But PH is a proud man, so this may actually be a de facto separation, even if they still love each other. I can well imagine he will go to live at Cayz.

All this is of course pure speculation, but the entire Danish tribe is speculating at the moment.

Last edited:
Oh boy, am I fed up with PHs shenanigans!
It's difficult to figure out what's going on behind closed palace doors,
but whatever it is, it's not doing the DRF any favours right now.

This is the 3rd change of his title, if I'm not mistaken!
Now it's back to HRH Prince Henrik, IMHO signalling more Prince than Consort!

viv

Muhler thanks for giving me a laugh it's like a soap opera isn't it can't wait for the next episode ??

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I am confused by the move. I thought him stepping back was being sold as him retiring. But this seems like punishment. Can you imagine if Philip was downgraded to Duke of Edinburgh and lost his Prince title because he has been slowing down in his role :ermm: Maybe there has been too much talk about all the holidays and such he is taking (why he can holiday but too old to accompany his wife any more) and this was a response
I agree with you, it really looks like punishment.:eek:

I wonder if the Prince will be around for the upcoming Queen's birthday?

Not among the experts and whatever the papers have asked. They have all sorts of interpretations, going from this underlining PH's new status as a retiree, to him making a statement, to this being an indication of "if I can't be king, forget it! I'll just be a ordinary prince".

But the word on the street is leaning towards QMII really putting her foot down and saying "that's it!" to PH. In other words: he was retired rather than retiring.

But again, anyone's guess is as good as mine.

Right now I'm beginning to lean more towards QMII having had enough and when PH perhaps again-again talked about rather retiring since he's a nobody anyway, QMII took him at his word, probably leaving him stunned.
I must admit there is a little devil whispering in my ear that PH embarked on his trek hoping he would "be missed" and "called back" and when that didn't happen he returned to DK and took on a couple of official duties to "smooth" things out a bit. But to no avail, he's now officially a retiree. Period!
The DRF can be a pretty stubborn lot! And I think when QMII really gets mad PH, like most husbands, better dive for cover!
I still believe she loves him dearly, but that doesn't mean she can't be mad and act accordingly and PH may have painted himself into a corner. So now he's a mere Prince.

A good story, eh? :p
But to be honest, that's where I stand at the moment and I'm probably wrong. :whistling:
PLEASE as you live in Denmark, please keep us informed....of the facts and of the people reactions.... thanks in advance.:flowers:

Not among the experts and whatever the papers have asked. They have all sorts of interpretations, going from this underlining PH's new status as a retiree, to him making a statement, to this being an indication of "if I can't be king, forget it! I'll just be a ordinary prince".

But the word on the street is leaning towards QMII really putting her foot down and saying "that's it!" to PH. In other words: he was retired rather than retiring.

But again, anyone's guess is as good as mine.

Right now I'm beginning to lean more towards QMII having had enough and when PH perhaps again-again talked about rather retiring since he's a nobody anyway, QMII took him at his word, probably leaving him stunned.
I must admit there is a little devil whispering in my ear that PH embarked on his trek hoping he would "be missed" and "called back" and when that didn't happen he returned to DK and took on a couple of official duties to "smooth" things out a bit. But to no avail, he's now officially a retiree. Period!
The DRF can be a pretty stubborn lot! And I think when QMII really gets mad PH, like most husbands, better dive for cover!
I still believe she loves him dearly, but that doesn't mean she can't be mad and act accordingly and PH may have painted himself into a corner. So now he's a mere Prince.

A good story, eh? :p
But to be honest, that's where I stand at the moment and I'm probably wrong. :whistling:
PLEASE as you live in Denmark, please keep us informed....of the facts and of the people reactions.... thanks in advance.:flowers:

One of the more worrying sides to this story, is the popularity of the Queen. It seems very clear to me that much of the debate that could had been is dampened by the fact that the Queen is both very popular, and also is seen with more sympathetic eyes, now that she has been left to fulfill the role and functions of the Crown on her own, despite her partner still being alive and as far as the public knows, is within his full faculties. I am quite convinced that the Prince would had been pressured much harder on this decision and the inherent consequences it has, had it not been for the Queens standing in Denmark, and her decision to, in her own words, 'understand and accept it'. The thing about popularity is of course, that one can only draw on it so often before it wears thin, and I would hope very much that the Queen is not negatively affected in any way, trying to cover and shield the Prince from the criticism and questions that naturally come from this decision.

Here again lies the PR-issue for me. If the Prince, and/or the Court, were forward-leaning and anticipatory of the issues that would arise following this decision to retire, the Prince would also announce that his salary would be reduced with the same factor that any Dane has their salary cut, when they go from active worklife, to a retired life (usually 2/3 of the working salary). Despite the lives of members of a Royal Family being significantly different from those of any randomly chosen worker on the streets, it would send a strong signal of respect, and acceptance of every consequence of the choice he has made.

It would also, once again, avoid much of the debate that has and is going on in Danish press and around the dinnertables. A Prince with constant tempertantrums is not very interesting to anyone. A Prince that shows respect and acceptance, will more often than not, get the same in return.

Last edited:
:previous:

Some good points, Lady Rohan!

HM's popuarity is definetely a saving grace!
However the royal court has not been terribly proactive when it comes to
damage limitation, and I for one am inclined to think that they've made
this 'ad hoc' solution (the title!) as they went along.

In principle, PM's apanage should be reduced, but it won't happen
for the simple reason - IMHO - that the DRF is not among the wealthiest.
I don't mind, it's peanuts in the state budget, however many Danes
beg to differ.

It would also, once again, avoid much of the debate that has and is going on in Danish press and around the dinnertables. A Prince with constant tempertantrums is not very interesting to anyone. A Prince that shows respect and acceptance, will more often than not, get the same in return.

Exactly.
The issue about his apanage is very much on the agenda and it needs to be cut, or rather transferred to the rest of the DRF. And now I think it will be cut sooner, rather than later.

PH actually still has a good deal of sympathy. He is a bit like the eccentric uncle of the family. Sometimes we want to wack him on the head with a barge-pole, but he's his own and quite entertaining and most of the time still likable.
But if he lets his wife down once more on the balcony tomorrow, that is going to be a PR-disaster for him! Once was bad enough, but twice and right after reverting to being a prince again? Unless QMII is seen standing on the balcony tossing PH's dachshund up in the air, he'll get all the blame for this. And he'd better retire to France, because the public might turn their backs on him. And once you are outed by the tribe...

So don't you worry, this thread is going to be alive and well for quite some time yet!

I rather suspect that PH doesn't really understand the workings of royalty. He wanted to be King and said in an interview:

“All the queens in the history of the world have made their husbands king consort. Why should I be under my wife?”

But this is nonsense. If you look at Queens who have reigned within living memory, Wilhelmina, Juliana, Beatrix, Salote and Elizabeth, none of their husbands has held the title of King. It is just not the way it's done and PH should think himself lucky, for some reason Elizabeth hasn't even given Philip the title of Prince Consort which nobody can understand. I think that Henrik is being very immature in his behaviour.

I rather suspect that PH doesn't really understand the workings of royalty. He wanted to be King and said in an interview:

“All the queens in the history of the world have made their husbands king consort. Why should I be under my wife?”

But this is nonsense. If you look at Queens who have reigned within living memory, Wilhelmina, Juliana, Beatrix, Salote and Elizabeth, none of their husbands has held the title of King. It is just not the way it's done and PH should think himself lucky, for some reason Elizabeth hasn't even given Philip the title of Prince Consort which nobody can understand. I think that Henrik is being very immature in his behaviour.

The consorts of reigning queens in Spain and Portugal had the title of king though, and, a long time ago, when Queen Mary I was married to Philip II of Spain, he also held the title of king in England.

I've decided to place this here, rather than in a Swedish thread, because while it may matter for a short while that PH does not go to the celebrations of the Swedish King, in the long run it's more relevant here.

It sure has been noted in Sweden that PH is not attending! Especially as the SRF and DRF are so close in every way and as such the Danish press and public have taken it up as well. Even the main news on TV2 at 19.00 had a 30 second segment.
BT has summarized the Swedish opinion: Henrik chokerer i Sverige: Dropper kongens fødselsdag

And the Swedish public feel a bit snubbed on behalf of their royal family. It's very much akin to the heads of village A don't go to celebrate a big event in village B.
Instead PH will attend a dinner in the Historical Society of Orders, for which he is patron. That doesn't placate the Swedes and admittedly had it been the other way around it wouldn't have placated the Danes.
QMII is not blamed by the Swedes. On the contrary they feel PH has let down his wife. The point being that even if you are retired you go with your wife to family gatherings. Also if it's the extended family.

Experts have pointed out that PH did say he has opted out of the royal roadshow and that is to be taken literally!

- Well, on a personal level. I don't know what to say. PH can have decided he will join the DRF for one of the Swedish baptisms later on, but he may also simply be doing a five-year-old. I.e. have crossed his arms, since he can't be chief he won't play with the other children, never, ever, ever...
It says a lot I think that I even consider the last option!

Considering both the Queen as the Crown Prince are attending I would say Denmark is well represented. Prince Hendrik is retired and he can chose what he wants to do, so good for him. I read in a biography of Pieter van Vollenhoven that Princess Margriet always found these royal gatherings rather boring and dreaded going (they were talking about the sixties); perhaps Prince Hendrik feels the same way?

He also did not attend the celebrations in Norway in January.
He is capable of traveling as we have seen, so this is kinda letting down his "friends" Carl-Gustaf and Harald, and I would say his wife as well.

I've decided to place this here, rather than in a Swedish thread, because while it may matter for a short while that PH does not go to the celebrations of the Swedish King, in the long run it's more relevant here.

It sure has been noted in Sweden that PH is not attending! Especially as the SRF and DRF are so close in every way and as such the Danish press and public have taken it up as well. Even the main news on TV2 at 19.00 had a 30 second segment.
BT has summarized the Swedish opinion: Henrik chokerer i Sverige: Dropper kongens fødselsdag

And the Swedish public feel a bit snubbed on behalf of their royal family. It's very much akin to the heads of village A don't go to celebrate a big event in village B.
Instead PH will attend a dinner in the Historical Society of Orders, for which he is patron. That doesn't placate the Swedes and admittedly had it been the other way around it wouldn't have placated the Danes.
QMII is not blamed by the Swedes. On the contrary they feel PH has let down his wife. The point being that even if you are retired you go with your wife to family gatherings. Also if it's the extended family.

Experts have pointed out that PH did say he has opted out of the royal roadshow and that is to be taken literally!

- Well, on a personal level. I don't know what to say. PH can have decided he will join the DRF for one of the Swedish baptisms later on, but he may also simply be doing a five-year-old. I.e. have crossed his arms, since he can't be chief he won't play with the other children, never, ever, ever...
It says a lot I think that I even consider the last option!

I wonder if Carl Gustav, Harold, Silvia and Sonja have been privy to Henrik's comments/moods over the decades and don't mind that he's not coming to the party. :D

Considering both the Queen as the Crown Prince are attending I would say Denmark is well represented. Prince Hendrik is retired and he can chose what he wants to do, so good for him. I read in a biography of Pieter van Vollenhoven that Princess Margriet always found these royal gatherings rather boring and dreaded going (they were talking about the sixties); perhaps Prince Hendrik feels the same way?

Perhaps.

But that's something I think we are all familiar with, but we do have social obligations so we show up for three hours of boredom at aunt Olga's birthday on a sunny Sunday afternoon, where we sit wondering what would happen to her six dusty cats if we had brought along the neighbors two dobermanns Adolf and Brutalis. :D
It's no different for royals, they have social obligations as well.

:previous: I tend to agree. It is different for say Albert and Paola. Albert abdicated for health reasons. Its understandable that he would leave the public eye and make perhaps an odd appearance. Considering how close the Scandi royals are, it does seem odd Henrik couldn't make the trip for a birthday. Perhaps Norway is the reason he didn't. He didn't make it to Harald's event for whatever reason, so thought it would be rude to attend CG's :ermm:

I honestly don't see the issue.

He is attending an official dinner of which he is patron. As previously stated, Denmark will be represented by it's Queen and Crown Princess Couple. You can't get any better than that. It's not like they sent a lowly government official.

If Henrik is close personally to Carl Gustaf, they might be both disappointed that he isn't attending or might meet at a later date to celebrate his milestone in private. We will never know. Or perhaps he is okay with Henrik not attending.

I also think it doesn't matter to most Swedes if Henrik attends or doesn't attend. They hardly feel snubbed...so the magazine is comfortable speaking for a majority of the Swedish population?!

I honestly don't see the issue.

He is attending an official dinner of which he is patron. As previously stated, Denmark will be represented by it's Queen and Crown Princess Couple. You can't get any better than that. It's not like they sent a lowly government official.

If Henrik is close personally to Carl Gustaf, they might be both disappointed that he isn't attending or might meet at a later date to celebrate his milestone in private. We will never know. Or perhaps he is okay with Henrik not attending.

I also think it doesn't matter to most Swedes if Henrik attends or doesn't attend. They hardly feel snubbed...so the magazine is comfortable speaking for a majority of the Swedish population?!

Well...That changes quite a few things... :D

I'm sorry Zonk, but I just couldn't resist. :D

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I think the controversy is more because not attending family events makes it look more likely that this is a de facto separation in their marriage.

That may not be the case, but it all seems so odd.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

IIRC Crown Prince Frederik did not attend the king's 60th birthday as he had another engagement (sailing competition). I do not remember it was an issue back than, but maybe my memory fails me.

... I read in a biography of Pieter van Vollenhoven that Princess Margriet always found these royal gatherings rather boring and dreaded going (they were talking about the sixties); perhaps Prince Hendrik feels the same way?
No, that is simply not the case here. Prince Henrik has always loved and enjoyed these parties and royal gatherings. So it is a bit odd that he doesn´t attend the birthday of King Carl Gustav.

Last edited:
There have over the past few weeks been speculations as to PH moving permanently to Chateau Cayx. That was started by the gossip-magazine Her & Nu.

Today in Billed Bladet #20, Lene Balleby responds.

Lene Balleby says: "It is not true that Prince Henrik moves permanently to France. Prince Henrik has always been fond of staying at Cayx when it is possible and with fewer official engagements following his retirement, that is now possible more and more often. There is no more to it".
She also emphasize that there are no plans to relocate PH's staff to Chateau Cayx either.

PH's secretary Olivier Lesénécal (who is half French) have for a number of years worked from Cayx, just as he runs the chateau on a daily basis.
There are people employed in the local souvenir shop and when the Regent Couple are in residence a local chef and waiter/footman is hired.
It may be that PH will bring his valet with him when going to France, but there is nothing new in that.
QMII also bring her LiW and an adjutant with her when she goes there.

I give up!

I can't figure out what PH's retirement is all about.

He has been attending event after event for the past couple of months. Apart from visibly getting older and having a few problems with his legs he appears to me to be in fine form.
So why retire?

PH don't seem to be willing in taking part in DRF-events or side by side with his wife, but he seems perfectly happy to attend events where he is in focus.

So, I give up.
I'll now merely sit down and observe what happens.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom