The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 07:02 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

16 August 2009:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/oth...er-injury.html

Old 08-27-2009, 07:31 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumutqueen View Post

I understand why the palace do not want Zara and Mikes' wedding in the same year as Kate and Williams but they aren't even engaged yet, let alone set a date. I don't see why Zara and Mike couldn't have got engaged this year and amrried earlier next year, wouldn't have any affect on everything.
My understanding is that as there is speculation that William might pop the question to Kate no one else in the family can make any such arrangement until William is decided. He has seniority and therefore has first dibs on when things get done.

That being said, I think Zara should sit her cousin down and say something like:

William, Mike and I really want to get married next year, so that I can concentrate on making the Olympics in 2012 and start a family in 2013. Can you decide whether you and Kate are going to announce an engagement that would stop that plan so that Mike and I can plan our future?

It might already have happened of course - they may be planning to announce at any moment but...

Old 08-27-2009, 08:58 AM
Aristocracy

Zara's wedding won't be the big deal William's is. I think it's ridiculous she can't go ahead and get married.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:49 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by lallyvee View Post
Zara's wedding won't be the big deal William's is. I think it's ridiculous she can't go ahead and get married.

For normal families yes but in the Royal Family they have a protocol and William takes precedence so Zara has to wait.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Really? Why would Peter be allowed to marry but not Zara? They have the exact same family relationship to William.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
For normal families yes but in the Royal Family they have a protocol and William takes precedence so Zara has to wait.
Surely she doesn't have to tread water indefinitely. William isn't so precious that he can't be asked to indicate he will not marry before, say, the end of next year, to give Zara a chance to plan her life.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Really? Why would Peter be allowed to marry but not Zara? They have the exact same family relationship to William.
Hmm. Good question. Maybe at the time he wed there wasn't a big chance William might also want to do so.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:35 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post

When Peter annouced his engagment it would have been clear that William had no intention of getting engaged and therefore no problems.

It is the timing of when Zara maybe wanting to get married in relation to William not the actual relationship between the cousins.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:38 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
Surely she doesn't have to tread water indefinitely. William isn't so precious that he can't be asked to indicate he will not marry before, say, the end of next year, to give Zara a chance to plan her life.

The problem as I understand it is that they both appear to be about to annouce an engagement (according to the press and we know how reliable they are) and therefore Zara does have to bow down to William's superior rank in the family.

If William has no intention of asking Kate at the moment then there is no problem for Zara, if she wants to marry now but... are either of them actually planning on annoucing an engagement at the moment?

We are simply pawns in the press game.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:54 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
And yet Anne married long before Charles.I can't really see Zara being expected to wait for her younger cousin to marry before her. Zara's wedding would be a much smaller affair!
Old 08-28-2009, 06:58 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
And yet Anne married long before Charles.I can't really see Zara being expected to wait for her younger cousin to marry before her. Zara's wedding would be a much smaller affair!

I don't believe it is a matter of her having to wait because of age or anything like that.

It is more a matter that the family don't want her engagement and marriage to be going on at the same stage as William's so they are saying that the two of them have to decide who will annouce first and therefore marry first. As William is the more senior of the two he gets the right to call the shots.

If she had announced a year ago there wouldn't be a problem.

If the reports are true - then one or both are planning on a wedding and William's will take precedence.

If William has no intention of announcing an engagement this year or next year then Zara can go ahead now and William in two years time.

If William is going to announce next week (after Kate sees the Queen at Balmoral supposedly this week - although they is currently in the Carribbean - press reports have said this week for Kate to see the Queen at Balmoral - or at least August which ends on Monday) then Zara knows that she can announce late next year or the following.

It is just that they are both close in age and reaching a decision at about the same time (if the press is to be believed).

Taking the Anne situation. In 1973 Charles wasn't being reported as about to ask anyone so there was no conflict. However, say Charles and Camilla decided to marry at that time then Charles' wedding would have taken precedence over Anne's and she would have had to wait a year or so.

The BRF simply have William take precedence so to a certain extent he is calling the shots about when Zara can announce her engagement (if any press reports are true and either Zara or William are even planning their engagements at the moment).

I don't really see why they can't both announce at the same time but the BRF do seem to have this idea of one at a time and the more senior before the junior so William before Zara unless William says - "Not yet for me - go ahead Zara".
Old 08-28-2009, 07:04 AM
Heir Apparent

A double wedding would be nice, I think.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:12 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
A double wedding would be nice, I think.

I think that would be great but ...
Old 08-28-2009, 08:06 AM
Aristocracy

Zara doesn't have Royal duties. She's not going to overshadow William no matter when her wedding is. Worldwide, most people have never heard of her. Let her get married, especially if William isn't getting married for two years.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:01 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
It is more a matter that the family don't want her engagement and marriage to be going on at the same stage as William's so they are saying that the two of them have to decide who will annouce first and therefore marry first. As William is the more senior of the two he gets the right to call the shots.
The family have never commented on any engagements between Zara & Mike or William & Kate. As Zara's wedding will be on a much smaller scale than Williams i.e. not exactly a 'Royal' wedding, precedence will probably not come into the equation. There will be no heads of state invited to Zara's wedding.
Quote:
If William is going to announce next week (after Kate sees the Queen at Balmoral supposedly this week - although they is currently in the Carribbean - press reports have said this week for Kate to see the Queen at Balmoral - or at least August which ends on Monday) then Zara knows that she can announce late next year or the following.
Press reports have said the same thing many, many times before ...

Quote:
..... so William before Zara unless William says - "Not yet for me - go ahead Zara".
Or Zara says I AM getting married on this date.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I think that would be great but ...
But think of the expense!

(Although I would ooogle over the clothes and jewels. . . )
Old 08-28-2009, 06:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
The family have never commented on any engagements between Zara & Mike or William & Kate. As Zara's wedding will be on a much smaller scale than Williams i.e. not exactly a 'Royal' wedding, precedence will probably not come into the equation. There will be no heads of state invited to Zara's wedding.
Press reports have said the same thing many, many times before ...

Or Zara says I AM getting married on this date.

When I mentioned the word 'precedence' it is because the press are saying that Zara has to wait until William makes up his mind.

As he is senior in the family his decision to marry now takes precedence over hers is what I am trying to say but obviously not getting my point across.

As the idea that either of them is contemplating marriage at the moment is all press speculation none of this might actually be relevant as neither of them might be truly planning to get married although Mike's comment about getting married 'when the time is right' (or something like that) is a hint that he and Zara are moving in that direction.

I personally can't see a reason why Zara can't announce her engagement now even if William is contemplating marriage but the press are saying that that isn't how things work in the BRF and I am trying to explain why I understand what the press are saying.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:21 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
But think of the expense!

(Although I would ooogle over the clothes and jewels. . . )

The expense surely would be less as there would be only one guest list, one church to pay for, one carriage ride (lucky for Zara who otherwise wouldn't get one to the church), one set of security etc.

It would actually save the Queen and the country money as the huge expense of William's wedding would also be able to incorporate the much smaller expense of Zara's.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:11 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
As he is senior in the family his decision to marry now takes precedence over hers is what I am trying to say but obviously not getting my point across..
I understood the point you were trying to make, but mine remains the same. As Zara is not an HRH, whether she marries a week before William or a week after, is immaterial as long as HM and Anne are available to attend. It will not be a wedding where heads of state or foreign royals are invited, unless they are personal friends.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:28 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
When I mentioned the word 'precedence' it is because the press are saying that Zara has to wait until William makes up his mind.
Where is the press saying this? I haven't seen them state this. Do you have a source? Perhaps it's only the Australian press.

Quote:
I personally can't see a reason why Zara can't announce her engagement now even if William is contemplating marriage but the press are saying that that isn't how things work in the BRF and I am trying to explain why I understand what the press are saying.
Even if anyone is planning to get married next summer it won't be announced NOW. The British royal family usually announces the engagements about 6 months before the wedding, unlike other monarchies who give a year's notice (Sweden). So the earliest you would hear anything is the end of this year or beginning of next year. And that's if any weddings will happen. We don't know what discussions take place between royal family members and you certainly can't rely on the press for accurate information.

Closed Thread

Tags
zara phillips