The Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 1: April 29, 2011-January 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Catherine wishes to take a 'no frills' approach to her tour of Canada

Will and Kate plan a 'no frills' visit to Canada - Toronto Political Buzz | Examiner.com

I can't imagine she would not utilize Helen Asprey as a lady in waiting for this Canada/US trip because she has already done so at her previous appearances around England -- who will collect her flowers, accompany her to the restroom, arrange for personal things? I think of it more as a necessity than a luxury for official trips, especially.

I see that she wants to be a "normal" person, but I thought royals are supposed to be that "royals" in every aspect of their life. Instead of going to the grocery store, she should be gathering information on which charities she wants to support. If she wanted to be a normal housewife, then she should have married someone else. I love Kate, but I don't agree with trying to be the old Kate--I have never seen royals shopping. Does the Queen approve?

She can't even do her own grocery shopping? Have you any idea what kind of hooting and howling would be here if news ever leaked that Catherine had someone do her shopping for her? People would call her arrogant, spoiled, elitist, someone who thinks she's above everyday people.....the list goes on.

Also, why do you think that doing her own grocery shopping takes up so much time during the day that she can't possibly do anything else when that's done? Is the act of going to Waitrose so physically taxing that she must end her day early when she gets back to the house? I don't understand how you've arrived at the conclusion that if she's going to the store, she's also not at some point during the day, considering possible charity patronages.

She can't even do her own grocery shopping? Have you any idea what kind of hooting and howling would be here if news ever leaked that Catherine had someone do her shopping for her? People would call her arrogant, spoiled, elitist, someone who thinks she's above everyday people.....the list goes on.

Also, why do you think that doing her own grocery shopping takes up so much time during the day that she can't possibly do anything else when that's done? Is the act of going to Waitrose so physically taxing that she must end her day early when she gets back to the house? I don't understand how you've arrived at the conclusion that if she's going to the store, she's also not at some point during the day, considering possible charity patronages.

As a couple of old timers here, the best way to get the food the way you like it is to get it yourself and cook it. Wasn't it too long back that Kate was admonished in the press for ordering some kinda duck? Both of them are used to that kind of elite cuisine and to be honest with you all, I'd not pay for it.

She shops, she cooks and she know what William likes. Could be a frozen pizza in the oven or she's putting a gourmet fruit dish together with canteloupe smothered in bleu chees dressing. Grilled steaks and baked potato. Who knows.

I personally think that they are living on Will's SAR paycheck. In times we're going to see they're as frugal as the Queen is. With being who they are, where they go to be simple may cost more though. Look where they got engaged and the the simplistic nature of the place. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
So, if you think she shouldn't be doing her groceries for her and her husband, what do you suggest? Hiring a cook, a maid and a Butler? or using a disguise so that people don't recognize her?

Let' stop pointing things that aren't there just because we feel need to criticize someone. Stop spending time with things/people you don't care about!

Last edited by a moderator:
If this has already been discussed in detail elsewhere, please point me in the right direction, but I am wondering why they are (apparently, according to the media reports) planning to go to CA/Hollywood after their trip to Canada? The articles I've read - okay, admittedly, it was probably in the daily mail...which, you know - says they are going to be partying with lots of celebrities and Hollywood bigwigs and Posh/Becks are throwing some huge party for them.

I guess my question is do you all think this is accurate and, if so, why on earth?! I know they seem to be friends with Posh/Becks but why would they want a big Hollywood party? It really seems so contrary to the image they are trying to put out there of being so down-to-earth.

It probably is accurate. They do love to party.

Back in another post, it was mentioned that there were no paps when they left on honeymoon. Did anyone see them leave or did they leave from Valley? I heard somewhere they flew to the Seychelles privately. If they got temporary clearance they might have left from the base. No paps there!

As for being "normal," well, I call on Abraham Lincoln in this instance.
"You can fool some of the people all of the time; you can fool all the people some of the time; but, you can't fool all the people all of the time."

Only in their dreams...

So, if you think she shouldn't be doing her groceries for her and her husband, what do you suggest? Hiring a cook, a maid and a Butler? or using a disguise so that people don't recognize her?

It makes me wonder who cooks & cleans for their protection officers. Do they live on the property, too? If I were Kate, I'd have a housekeeper come by twice a week to clean and run errands, like grocery shopping. I don't think that's too much to ask given their high profile situation and obvious need for privacy (due to paps stalking out local haunts, not that they're above doing their own errands, though they are).

William and Catherine seem to be lovely, well-grounded people, but let's call it like it is: they are royalty and no amount of normal, everyday behavior can change that. It's not their fault and I'm not criticizing them for it. It just is a fact and along with it goes the need for hired help: they have a private secretary, PR people, and staff back at St. James for goodness sake.

You said that very well, Windsorgirl. Sometimes my posts come off like I am not fond of them, but I am.

My fear is that either or both of them are embarrassed by who they are and what they have. Even we "normal" people have housecleaners, personal shoppers, chefs for parties, etc.

As I have said many times before, I do not believe Kate will be shaking out her rugs or painting the picket fence.

I think they are trying to take advantage of their private time before they are surrounded by the Royal Minders.

This reminds me of a quote that that Diana had once said (or she is reported to have said or maybe its someone else).....but we are never all alone are we? Referring to the fact that someone is pretty much with a royal 24/7 whether it be security, maid, private secretary, etc.

:previous: Oh that looks like a reputable, well researched publication. ;)

Whatever else Catherine decides to economise on, say dressers, hairdressers etc. A knowledgeable lady in waiting should not be one of them. Not unless she suddenly develops an extra hand! :lol:

She needs someone who knows the ropes to show her the easiest way to accomplish the task and no matter how independent she is there is no way she can greet people, shake hands and juggle posies etc. all at the same time. Even the Queen uses Beatrice and Eugenie to pick up the slack with flowers, etc. when leaving church!!! :D

And something tells me that Catherine is no fool. :whistling:

Y.

As I have said many times before, I do not believe Kate will be shaking out her rugs or painting the picket fence.

I do hope she has a vaccuumcleaner! And painting the fence is the job of the house owner, when you rent a house, isn't it? So, yes, I'm in with you here... :D

Well hope this works out for here, this is a big deal not just for her but the Monarchy and am not so sure she will not need help. However time will tell......

this trip to canada will determine if catherine will need a lady in waiting in the future. i think she will need one. she will be very popular and i don't think she's going to be able to do these trips without one.

Quite a few articles in the press have indicated that Pippa might take on the role of Lady in Waiting at some point in the future - is this just speculation or is there any substance to these stories?

I like William and Kate's desire to be normal, but on the other hand, when you keep erasing the distance between royalty and "normal people", what is left? I looked at the Daily Mail article and a commenter mentioned that he looked forward to the day when Kate wouldn't need a lady-in-waiting, because there would be no one waiting to give her flowers. Sometimes I think that is what will end up happening if royalty becomes too "normal" - no one will see the need for the monarchy anymore.

Report in the Telegraph about the LIW: the only monarchy which have Ladies in waiting is the danish one. No other. Not in spain because Queen Sofia abolished the "post". So Letizia has none. I suppose if Princess Letizia has no Lady in waiting surely Kate can do without too. Maxima has none, Mathilde has none, Victoria has none, and so on....

Catherine wishes to take a 'no frills' approach to her tour of Canada

Will and Kate plan a 'no frills' visit to Canada - Toronto Political Buzz | Examiner.com

I personally think this is a bad idea, you don't have to grown up surrounded with servants and helpers but a lady in waiting at this very start point of your new role is a wise idea to have especially if this is your first public event abroad, the lady in waiting will advice and help Kate through the visit. She can always not use her in the future or upcoming visits.

Yes Kate was not surrounded with servants & helpers but when you have a new role, you would want all the help & advise you can get. She married into the royal family therefore she has to accept what comes with it.

I personally think this is a bad idea, you don't have to grown up surrounded with servants and helpers but a lady in waiting at this very start point of your new role is a wise idea to have especially if this is your first public event abroad, the lady in waiting will advice and help Kate through the visit. She can always not use her in the future or upcoming visits.

Yes Kate was not surrounded with servants & helpers but when you have a new role, you would want all the help & advise you can get. She married into the royal family therefore she has to accept what comes with it.

I think though that this is a sign of the way things will go with William and Kate - a great cut down on the pomp and circumstance of the BRF. That was clear with the decision to travel to the Abbey by cars and to have the vast majority of the royals return the same way - with only a few carriages taking the wedding party back to BP. In times past all of the Queen's children and grandchildren along with the wedding party would have been in carriages but now cars and mini-buses are the way of the future.

Last edited:
Report in the Telegraph about the LIW: the only monarchy which have Ladies in waiting is the danish one. No other. Not in spain because Queen Sofia abolished the "post". So Letizia has none. I suppose if Princess Letizia has no Lady in waiting surely Kate can do without too. Maxima has none, Mathilde has none, Victoria has none, and so on....

I don't think that this is true. As far as I know the Dutch RF does have LIW's.

Maybe just the terminology is different, but if you have a Personal Assistance that would be the same as having a LIW, IMO

I think though that this is a sign of the way things will go with William and Kate - a great cut down on the pomp and circumstance of the BRF. That was clear with the decision to travel to the Abbey by cars and to have the vast majority of the royals return the same way - with only a few carriages taking the wedding party back to BP. In times past all of the Queen's children and grandchildren along with the wedding party would have been in carriages but now cars and mini-buses are the way of the future.

Well, I really hope they don't cut back too much on the pomp and circumstance--silly as they may be, those pomp and circumstance really add color to them.

So far, Kate has been aided quite well by Helen Asprey who is part of William's household. I wouldn't be surprised to see her, as well as the rest of William's household, in Canada. Just because she doesn't have an official "lady in waiting" doesn't mean she won't be advised and helped during visits.

Please note that off topic speculative posts about Kate not having children, or potential pregnancies have been deleted.

Let's stay on topic with the Duchess's Current Events.

I thought maybe you were exaggerating but she really does look rough. If I didn't know any better I'd say she's hitting 40! Nothing about her life is hard so I don't understand why her face is so harsh, rough and old looking.

Anyways It's nice seeing her out and about:)
I like her hair and the poncho.
Actually I think your post is a bit rough. :sad: Sun damage can age you prematurely - maybe that's what it is - she does have tanned skin, not the peaches and cream most Brits have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom