The Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 1: April 29, 2011-January 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lovely shopping photos. Unfortunately that does come with the job and Kate will always be photographed here and there. Nice to see her minding her own business and simply attending to her shopping chores. Best way to handle the press. I think in spite of all the royal residences at their disposal, Kate does prefer having a normal life and probably loves cooking for william.

Last edited:

that is so sad..imo she is justing doing her job

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity...sheners-for-kensington-palace-cottage-2011207
i say go for it...they have to start a family and aroma therapy is very helpful...
lavender, ylang ylang, rose are all aphrodisiacs esp ylang ylang use with caution :)
can we start a baby watch or is that wrong?

My read on the article was sympathetic of Kate; not wanting her to be the "new Diana."

As for "babywatching," Kate has stated they wanted to wait a couple of years, didn't she? Correct me, please, if that is not the case.

Actually, I thought the Mirror article on Catherine's "probation" to be complimentary of her and very tongue in cheek.

Well, I never thought grocery shopping would hold so much fascination for me! The Tesco looks like the U.K. version of Costco here in the States.

Well, I never thought grocery shopping would hold so much fascination for me! The Tesco looks like the U.K. version of Costco here in the States.

Tesco is the UKs largest supermarket chain, positioned very much as a mainstream supermarket. It is not a members only club like Costco.

Tesco is the UKs largest supermarket chain, positioned very much as a mainstream supermarket. It is not a members only club like Costco.

Exactly and Tesco pretty much has the image of the chain that attracts people who mind their pennies.
For example, Sainsbury's is considered far more posh.
Kate buying at Tesco's only adds to the "normal" image the BRF has started to build for K&W.

This might sound strange, but if I were a shopper in that tesco in Anglessey, and happen to turn around and see The Duchess of Cambridge stood looking at the lettuce, I would feel supremely awkward. Do you say hi, give advice on lettuce, ask for an autograph? Because presumably if you Catherine walks around the shop and everyone just shys away from her, she'd feel for want of a better word, lonely?

I guess if I suddenly came across her, I would pass her by as if she were any other shopper & then gape from behind the fresh veg. Afterwards I would regret not having said a friendly hello.
This particular branch of Tesco must have seen its numbers soar in recent weeks - I can remember many years' ago when Diana popped into Tescos at Stratford upon Avon & the store gained a celeb status for a short while.

I think ordinary people are quite cool about royals or celebrities, they have other things to worry about. Especially if you live in the area and get used to seeing William or Kate around on a regular basis.

A friend of mine lives in Manchester and although I found it hard to believe, she told me that people from the area where many footballers couldnt care less about (at the time) Cristiano Ronaldo shopping in tight jeans etc. They got used to it and moved on with their lifes, that's it. When I lived in London I frequently saw Jude Law with his kids, first time you think "wow" but after a while you hardly notice.

I come in this wonderful Forum almost every day. I am an American and we, as a population, are not ga ga over Kate. Some are, but it's mostly a media frenzy. I live in a city that is very popular with "stars" as a lot of movies are made here and it is the center of the hip-hop kingdom. Duke of Marmalade is correct that perhaps the first time you see someone famous, you take a second look...after that, so what!

I also agree with Lumutqueen with feeling awkward in the presence of a celebrity. I would never presume to interfere with their daily life. I wouldn't approach a regular stranger, so why would I impose myself on Kate or anyone else.

Last edited:
I'd like to think that I would be able to approach Kate to say hi or congratulations on her marriage if I saw her in the grocery store, but for me it would be very awkward to just walk up to basically a perfect stranger to do so. I think she's genuinely a warm person and under those casual circumstances, if she's out and about doing her shopping herself, she would somewhat expect people to react to her appearance and be gracious to them. As Lumutqueen says, she might feel somewhat lonely if shoppers shied away from her if she's among them doing the same tasks as they are. But I'd love to gear up the nerve to ask her opinion on which melon is the ripest!:lol:

However, if Kate consistently appeared out and about in the area, I'd definitely honor her privacy and let her get on with her business and treat her presence as normal.

Last edited:
Please can I help with a little background information here?

Some years ago Buckingham Palace [probably because the then Princess of Wales was frequently being encountered whilst out shopping in London stores!!] issued guidance as to how members of the public should behave if and when they encountered a Royal 'shopping': the guidance was that IF your eyes happened to meet that of the Royal concerned, the appropriate form was to perform a very brief curtsey and then return to whatever you were doing: Approaching the Royal in question and / or speaking to them was quite incorrect. [As an interesting point, until Diana married into the BRF, it was almost unheard of for a 'major' member of the BRF to be encountered whilst out shopping. Ladies in waiting traditonally used to take care of the 'bits and bobs' shopping that their Royal mistress required and larger purchases such as items for the Royal wardrobe were taken care of by the couturier etc actually attending on the Royal concerend at BP or KP etc.]

The advice was based on the principle that the essence of etiquette is in fact good manners: if one's eyes happened to meet those of a 'shopping Royal', it would be discourteous not to acknowledge the Royal in question.

I would add a couple of riders to this: since the advice was issued [mid 1980's] BP is swinging away from the previously sacrosanct rule that curtseying was essential when meeting a Royal; nowadays, a curtsey is NOT strictly necessary when meeting Royalty, although certain members of the [older] Royal Family apparently still welcome this [eg. HM!]; others - particularly the Queen's children when working - do NOT require a curtsey and usually their staff brief people to this effect. The second rider is that obviously the 'curtseying whilst shopping' rule would only have applied to those who would ordinarily have curtseyed to the BRF - Americans for example would automatically be excepted!

Bearing in mind that Catherine is trying to live what I would call 'a largely ordinary life' at times, I would suggest that, following on from the old BP guidance and giving it a 'twist' from the point of view that we are now some 25 years further on since it was issued, I would submit that if one's eyes beheld Catherine for so long that to look away and ignore her could be deemed rude [after all, she IS married to a person in the direct line of succession], the polite thing to do would be to very quickly nod one's head in acknowledgement and then quickly go back to one's own shopping. If one's eyes were only momentarily to register the presence of Catherine, I would think that the best cause of action would be to ignore her and concentrate on one's own shopping.

Hope this is of interest

Alex

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, Alex. I would think with Kate's minders around, no one could approach her anyway (I was being facetious about the melons!), but in the spirit of politeness you'd treat her as you would any stranger with whom you had some lingering eye contact by acknowledgement with a quick smile or nod and go about your business.

"Excuse me, your royal highness, this is the express lane"

Years ago, when I worked in mid-town Manhattan, I would frequently encounter well-known people when I shopped in Saks Fifth Avenue or in a particular green grocer. At work, when discussing these encounters, someone would inevitably ask, "What did you say to him/her?"

I always answered, "Nothing, of course- what would I have to say that he/she would be interested in?" (Unless his zipper was open, or she had a trailing of bathroom tissue stuck on her boot- fortunately, that never occurred, so I didn't have to bear bad tidings to a celeb.)

Just a polite smile always seemed the best thing if I inadvertently caught someone's eye; an easy solution, and no embarrassment on either side.

Oops, a disclaimer: I once shouted, "We love you, Lance!" when I saw Armstrong riding by in Paris, on his way to his second Tour win.

I live in the DC area and I have also seen a couple of famous people out and about. I basically leave them alone (especially if they are eating) as I think that everyone entitled to a bit of privacy.

Now one time I was on my way home from VA (traffic is so bad that I would drive thru DC to get to MD where I lived)...and I am sitting on traffic on 12th street. I am bobbing my head, because my song is on...look to the side of me...and there is President Clinton in his limo drinking a bottle of water, smiling at me! I smile back :) Which in itself is odd, because in the DC area, the President is usually always moving and there are cops that drive ahead to block traffic and to make sure he is moving. But this was before 9/11 so things were different. I also saw Yasser Arfat around Pentagon City mall while out to lunch, but I wouldn't wave....there were like 2 guys each in his car and the one behind him with machine guns! So sometime its not fun to see famous people in DC :(

Anyway back to topic, I would probably just nod and let Catherine continue with her shopping. There is an on time IMO that she is on display and out in public working and there is off time when she should be able to be Catherine and not the Duchess of Cambridge.

Last edited:
)..and I am sitting on traffic on 12th street. I am bobbing my head, because my song is on...look to the side of me...and there is President Clinton in his limo drinking a bottle of water, smiling at me! I smile back :) Which in itself is odd, because in the DC area, the President is usually always moving and there are cops that drive ahead to block traffic and to make sure he is moving. But this was before 9/11 so things were different. I also saw Yasser Arfat around Pentagon City mall while out to lunch, but I wouldn't wave....there were like 2 guys each in his car and the one behind him with machine guns! So sometime its not fun to see famous people in DC :(

Anyway back to topic, I would probably just nod and let Catherine continue with her shopping. There is an on time IMO that she is on display and out in public working and there is off time when she should be able to be Catherine and not the Duchess of Cambridge.
About Clinton, that is so :cool:! And very :lol:! I bet you were like, " Wow":ohmy:
Or maybe that would be me!
Arafat- If there were machine guns nearby , I would not wave either. Wise move.;)
About Catherine I so agree about her being allowed to be Catherine. I read something today complaining that what she wore to do the grocery shopping, was not grand enough for a Duchess.:news:
Newsflash: Grocery shopping is not a grand affair.

About Catherine I so agree about her being allowed to be Catherine. I read something today complaining that what she wore to do the grocery shopping, was not grand enough for a Duchess.:news:
Newsflash: Grocery shopping is not a grand affair.

What the heck is she supposed to wear, high heels, an evening gown and a tiara?!!! Sheesh!

I live in the DC area and I have also seen a couple of famous people out and about. I basically leave them alone (especially if they are eating) as I think that everyone entitled to a bit of privacy.

Now one time I was on my way home from VA (traffic is so bad that I would drive thru DC to get to MD where I lived)...and I am sitting on traffic on 12th street. I am bobbing my head, because my song is on...look to the side of me...and there is President Clinton in his limo drinking a bottle of water, smiling at me! I smile back :) Which in itself is odd, because in the DC area, the President is usually always moving and there are cops that drive ahead to block traffic and to make sure he is moving. But this was before 9/11 so things were different. I also saw Yasser Arfat around Pentagon City mall while out to lunch, but I wouldn't wave....there were like 2 guys each in his car and the one behind him with machine guns! So sometime its not fun to see famous people in DC :(

That is amazing that Clinton smiled at you! I once saw Kirsten Dunst here in NYC. I didn't go all fanboy on her, just politely smiled and continueed walking. I would do the same if I saw Kate shopping.

Exactly and Tesco pretty much has the image of the chain that attracts people who mind their pennies.
For example, Sainsbury's is considered far more posh.

Tesco and Sainsbury are both mainstream, only Waitrose and M&S are really considered premium in the UK.

Again...she can't win.

If she wears what we wear (well I think we all dont' get dressed up to go grocery shopping you might be dressed up if you are coming or going somewhere else but whatever) you have people complaining that she isn't dressed up, its a photo op, she isn't normal.

If she sends someone out to get her groceries -- she thinks she is better than us, she has forgotten who she is, etc.

Face it...while William and Kate are in Wales --- she is going to try to do normal things and for that I don't blame them. After his tour is over or God forbid, the Queen dies before they leave Wales ---- she won't have time to do ordinary grocery shopping in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom