The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 11:36 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlock221B View Post
NONSENSE!!! It is the tax payers' money she is using! Itemized groceries, hah! What detergent do they use! What type of body soap, deodorant and toothpaste is being bought with the tax payers' money. It is our right to know. (Sounds like a line from a movie script, huh?)
Don't the BRF provide documentation at the end of each year detailing where all their tax-payer money went? I think a line has to be drawn somewhere, and it should certainly come before photographically detailing each and every purchase... I get that there are varying degrees of appreciation for the monarchy, but The Duchess of Cambridge is worth much more to the British people than whatever money she may spend on travel, clothes, lodging and food... Plus she's sweet and adorable! I think all that warrants a little privacy when doing her shopping--certainly when she's IN THE STORE and not out in the streets.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:21 PM
Serene Highness

It really DOES look like an employee took these pictures. It would have really caused a stir but I wish that Catherine had openly pointed up at the camera .... apologized for leaving but walk out with the items left on the belt. Sure a great story line for the tabloids but my bet is, it would be the last time that a Tesco employee would take a picture like that. Hopefully someone in management saw these pictures and was a horrified as we are. The employee needs to be sacked .... just NOT good customer service! It has nothing to do with being a "public figure", it has to do with the fact that an employee would do such a thing to ANYONE.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:23 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyKate View Post
Oh no, they didn't!! It's so intrusive... I'm so shocked by what I see. I didn't like when we had William and Kate's pictures in a grocery last year, in her village's family, with a caption explaining what they bought, and that William had forgotten his money so Catherine had to pay. All these stories are not our business, they do what they want! Catherine's glance to the camera is very disturbing. It must be awful to be pictured while doing grocery shopping. I hope that it will stop there, and that paparazzis won't act with her like they did with Diana. I'm totally sure that William won't like these pics, and that the palace will react.
I'm most probably in the minority here, but if Catherine is going to go out and shop in public places then she is going to be photographed. And in this case I expect the "well they're trying to lead a normal life" comment, and in my opinion they will never ever lead a normal life because they will never ever cease to be royalty.
The pair are kidding themselves if they actually think they can just shy away in Wales and not be touched except when they come out of hiding to go to select engagements. It's quite easy to have shopping delivered to your home, therefore avoiding the cameras outside the shops taking pictures of you. I don't exactly know why Catherine has a dirty look on her face when she should perfectly know well by now what lifestyle she's got herself into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess of Durham View Post
It really DOES look like an employee took these pictures.......it would be the last time that a Tesco employee would take a picture like that. Hopefully someone in management saw these pictures and was a horrified as we are. The employee needs to be sacked .... just NOT good customer service! It has nothing to do with being a "public figure", it has to do with the fact that an employee would do such a thing to ANYONE.
Has it been proven that an employee took these pictures? Is it any different to a woman in the exact same shop turning around and taking a picture on their phone of Catherine with her shopping on the belt?
To me it looks like someone is stood outside the shop, a professional, and has took the pictures. Or it's a big tescos(we have express ones, medium sized ones then superstore types) and they're on a balcony overlooking the checkouts and their photos have been published. I bet someone in management at this store is reaping the benefits of this picture and smiling profusely, their custom is probably going to increase tenfold by people hoping for a glance of Catherine.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Totally agree. Also, whether she is inside the market or outside in the parking lot, it is public space that anyone can enter. I'm sure if Kate didn't want photos taken, she could ask the market to close it's doors while she shops. This would leave only Kate, the manager (who would also check her out) and her protection staff. Fortum & Mason does (or used to do) this for the Queen.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:45 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta
Totally agree. Also, whether she is inside the market or outside in the parking lot, it is public space that anyone can enter. I'm sure if Kate didn't want photos taken, she could ask the market to close it's doors while she shops. This would leave only Kate, the manager (who would also check her out) and her protection staff. Fortum & Mason does (or used to do) this for the Queen.
I agree she must know this will happen so she either has them sent or do it all the time till it becomes a boring photo and people lose interest
Old 11-23-2011, 12:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

One of the Tesco stores near me has a customer restaurant on a mezzanine level with a balcony overlooking the main shopping floor. I would be fairly certain this is where these pictures were taken from. Having worked in a major supermarket as a student they pretty much all keep their offices in the back of the store with windowless rooms, well away from the eyes of shoppers.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:09 PM
Administrator

While the pictures are certainly intrusive, I happen to agree that if Kate is going to go out in public and shop, than she should expect that pictures will be taken. If its not the press who took this picture, but an employee or someone shopping at the same time....trust me...they made a pretty penny from this picture...especially if is sold overseas. A while back I read in the Washington Post magazine about a company that deals with ordinary people who see stars, celebrities and/or well known people and take pictures. If you take a candid shot, you can certainly upload it and they sell it on your behalf. So its not just the professional photographers who have an interest in selling pics.

I think it becomes a problem when she is stalked like Diana was (and it appears Pippa is now), when every time she goes out and about someone is following her. It does remind me of the frenzy that first happened when Diana married Charles and she couldn't go out without someone following her and taking pictures. I believe someone from BP complained and asked if it could be toned down a bit (not stopped just relaxed) and someone (from the press I believe) simply stated that if Diana wanted to go to the store and get chocolates, couldn't she send a servant or something like that. Apparently, the look they got in response was quite priceless.

That being said, does TESCO have home delivery? With Giant (a grocery store in my local area) you can order online and have it delivered to your home. Of course, its not the same thing as picking up your own produce. But there you go.

As someone said...they are not normal so they should just move on from that concept.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:33 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post

That being said, does TESCO have home delivery? With Giant (a grocery store in my local area) you can order online and have it delivered to your home. Of course, its not the same thing as picking up your own produce. But there you go.

As someone said...they are not normal so they should just move on from that concept.
Tesco certainly does do home delivery as do our other major supermarkets, ASDA, Morrisons, Sainsburys, Waitrose, Marks and Spencer.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:34 PM
Courtier

Quote:
While the pictures are certainly intrusive, I happen to agree that if Kate is going to go out in public and shop, than she should expect that pictures will be taken. If its not the press who took this picture, but an employee or someone shopping at the same time....trust me...they made a pretty penny from this picture...especially if is sold overseas. A while back I read in the Washington Post magazine about a company that deals with ordinary people who see stars, celebrities and/or well known people and take pictures. If you take a candid shot, you can certainly upload it and they sell it on your behalf. So its not just the professional photographers who have an interest in selling pics.

I think it becomes a problem when she is stalked like Diana was (and it appears Pippa is now), when every time she goes out and about someone is following her. It does remind me of the frenzy that first happened when Diana married Charles and she couldn't go out without someone following her and taking pictures. I believe someone from BP complained and asked if it could be toned down a bit (not stopped just relaxed) and someone (from the press I believe) simply stated that if Diana wanted to go to the store and get chocolates, couldn't she send a servant or something like that. Apparently, the look they got in response was quite priceless.

I think they're probably aware there's always a chance they'll be photographed in public, whatever they're doing. That doesn't mean they have to like it, and I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to look happy about these kinds of pictures being taken if I was in that situation, but I guess the alternative is never leaving the house. To be fair, I can only recall one other time that I've seen pictures of Kate grocery shopping since the wedding - given that this is likely something she does regularly, I have to assume that the majority of the time they're out doing errands, they are, in fact, left alone.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:59 PM
Administrator

Exactly.

Most people I assume go shopping once a week or every two weeks (at least in the States). So if follows that "rule" and we have only seen two pictures than that is not so bad.

That being said the pictures are somewhat intrusive but she is out in public. So the expectation of privacy isn't really an issue. Now if someone followed her from her home, watched her run her errands (including shopping) or photographed her on a boat in the Aegean Sea than that is another matter.

Old 11-23-2011, 03:33 PM
Heir Apparent

I've really enjoyed reading the posts. If you saw Kate, had your cellphone and could get a good photo of her, I have no doubt any one of you would take the snap. I'm only a marginal Kate-o-phile, but I'd be all over getting a photo.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:07 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
I've really enjoyed reading the posts. If you saw Kate, had your cellphone and could get a good photo of her, I have no doubt any one of you would take the snap. I'm only a marginal Kate-o-phile, but I'd be all over getting a photo.

I would, not even going to try to fib about it...
Old 11-23-2011, 04:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
It does remind me of the frenzy that first happened when Diana married Charles and she couldn't go out without someone following her and taking pictures. I believe someone from BP complained and asked if it could be toned down a bit (not stopped just relaxed) and someone (from the press I believe) simply stated that if Diana wanted to go to the store and get chocolates, couldn't she send a servant or something like that. Apparently, the look they got in response was quite priceless.
Yes, The Queen apparently called in the Editors to ask for some restraint in their coverage of the princess. Her response to the question about sending a servant to do the shopping was supposed to be something along the lines of "What a terribly snobbish idea" and the editor on the receiving end apparently withered away under the "Windsor look" and was incredibly embarressed.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Yep, have to agree, I'd be as starstruck as anyone else and would be taking a pic or two with my cell phone of any celebrity in public. But that's different than taking a series of shots that do border on some invasion of privacy, which is the price one pays when you go out in public.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:58 PM
Heir Apparent

I am in two minds over the recent photos. I do agree that they are very intrusive and perhaps slightly unnecessary, however Catherine is what we now call in this modern age a "celebrity", therefore press hound her. I understand that it would be annoying to be constantly followed but this is what happens when you marry the future King of England...I am not saying it is okay, I just think people need to get used to it - Catherine is going to be hounded until the day she dies, no doubt. Anyone marrying into the Royal Family has the same problem, though perhaps not on the same level as Catherine (or Diana) will ever have it, but once you slip the Royal Welsh gold onto your ring finger you've signed up for a lifetime in the papers, be it a positive or negative light.

All Catherine can do, which I think she is doing, is ignoring them. As one of the Princes said in a documentary once, "If you stand still they will eventually stop clicking."
Old 11-23-2011, 05:00 PM
Majesty

i don't think the pictures bother kate. yes, it's not the nicest to be followed around but she seems to know it comes with the life she has chosen and has not complained, so why do we? it was obviously another shopper or even a member of the staff but one can hardly blame them: they know they can get money for the pictures or just simply find it great to bump into kate while shopping/working and snap some pictures.
i see no reason to get alarmed. kate seems fine with this and i bet the staff were happy to see her in their shop.
it's otherwise great that she leads a normal life otherwise. it sounds clichéd but i don't recall seeing pictures of royals doing their grocery shopping. it's clear that she still very much enjoys doing things the same way she used to and i think she deserves some credit for it. some others would just ask staff to handle the shopping and cook for them...!
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 11-23-2011, 07:58 PM
Majesty

I think there's a difference between snapping a picture of your favorite celebrity/public figure for your own collection, and snapping the said picture to sell to a newspaper to make a profit. Personally, if I were to see Catherine on the street, running her errands, I probably won't be able to recognize her (I don't recognize people easily, unless they're in a setting I've associated with them, especially if they're public figures and such), so there won't be any picture-taking going on. However, if my visual impairment wasn't an issue, I'd snap a picture (hopefully of her just walking down the street but won't even attempt one if she were inside a store shopping, too instrussive), but keep it, and not share it with any press. It's my memory, and has meaning to me, and no one else. I guess for that same reason I refuse to sell any of my pictures taken with Broadway performers.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:04 PM
Courtier

I don't see that it's a big deal that she was photographed in the grocery store. She is in a public place and with dozens of other shoppers, so anyone could have taken a pic with their cel phone with her hardly noticing. She knows that when she goes out in public, that is the risk she takes. Actually, it rather amazes me that we haven't seen more pics of in the grocery store since she does all their grocery shopping. That is a testiment to the people of Anglesey who try to allow her and William a level of privacy.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:06 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlock221B View Post
NONSENSE!!! It is the tax payers' money she is using! Itemized groceries, hah! What detergent do they use! What type of body soap, deodorant and toothpaste is being bought with the tax payers' money. It is our right to know. (Sounds like a line from a movie script, huh?)
She isn't using tax payers money to buy groceries. They aren't on the civil list.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:50 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I really don't think getting photos snapped while shopping really annoys Kate too much. She probably has come to expect it. As long as people aren't interfering with her task at hand, she'll just grin and bear it.

On the other hand though, I can imagine her thinking to herself that she IS in the public eye and therefore uses common sense in what she buys. Most women could pop into any store and pick up an EPT but should Kate do that, it'd fan the press into overdrive for sure. Kate has a very level head on her shoulders, presents to the public a woman that does ordinary things just like we all do as wives tend to do yet when the situation calls for it, she steps into her royal role and does it with grace.

Closed Thread