The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 01:26 PM
Serene Highness

People are too accustomed to heirs who must be productive straight after their wedding and preferably far before that big event.
William is the heir's heir and Catherine is the heir's heir's wife, so there's no such pressure for him and/or her yet.
As far as I know, this is a new situation in royalty land - or has it happened before?

Either people forget or they don't care and think they should get off their "lazy *sses" anyway.
They have to let his father and stepmother go first, that is a fact.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:37 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
People are too accustomed to heirs who must be productive straight after their wedding and preferably far before that big event.
William is the heir's heir and Catherine is the heir's heir's wife, so there's no such pressure for him and/or her yet.
As far as I know, this is a new situation in royalty land - or has it happened before?

Either people forget or they don't care and think they should get off their "lazy *sses" anyway.
They have to let his father and stepmother go first, that is a fact.
Agreed!

If Kate did more royal work than Will, she would be criticized for outdoing her husband. IIRC, that was a criticism within the P and PoW marriage. Do we really want to repeat past mistakes? Oh wait, Will already said they aren't going to repeat past mistakes.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:48 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Sorry, no royalty or nobility for me. I'm too ambitious. Wealthy? You bet!

I do think Kate sits home all day doing nothing.

That's my last comment on the matter.
To make an assumption that Catherine does nothing all day is silly. You don't know what happens behind closed doors. She'll do the public speaking and solo engagements when the time is right...
Old 09-29-2011, 03:37 PM
Courtier

I just want to point out two things and hopefully won't get virtual fruit thrown at me :tounge:

First, Camilla did have organizations that she was a patron or president of before her marriage to Charles, so I'm not quite sure where the waiting two years came from (you can see the patronages she has had for years and when she began her involvement with them on the Prince of Wales Official Website). So there could be charities Catherine has been involved with or not, all we know is that she hasn't made a "royal" declaration of support so far to any particular charity or foundation.

Second, I think what bothers me personally has nothing to do with Catherine or the BRF but how some royals (born AND married into) are treated if they are not actually seen doing something related to their royal life. I'll use the example of CP Frederik of Denmark who constantly gets written off as the least prepared heir because he doesn't work "outside the palace" as much as Haakon or Willemstad-Alexander or Charles. People assume he too sits on his tush watching football all day and not living up to his destiny. It only takes a royal documentary to show how much royal life and royal duties actually do take place inside their homes or official residences. Catherine IMO is getting the British equivalent to Frederik lack of duties (as in, more people know and follow the BRF, thus there will be more criticism than if she had married the heir to the heir in the DRF or the another royal family. Hypothetically of course, Christian is a bit too young for her :wink: ).

Like Kitty, there are several organizations that I am already involved with and if I were to marry a prince and be expected (not required, remember) to be involved in such things, I would immediately have them as my first patronages. But like Catherine, if I had the means to not have to work right away after marriage, I wouldn't mind some of the 'me' time she's giving herself.

Time for sleep now...
Old 09-29-2011, 03:53 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ann View Post
I am glad Kate is getting the opportunity to take her time or ( do nothing) what ever it is she is doing at this time. It must be a whirlwind to come into this family. As long as she is supporting William at this time we can't ask much more. Once the numbers change and William is 1 instead of 2 we will see a much more active Kate ...at least that is what we can hope for. IMO

PS: I don't totally disagree with you Kitty... I think she is sitting back enjoying what time she has left untill she is a full time working royal...I just don't think that it is a bad thing.
Some people have the opinion that it *is* a bad thing. Some people stubbornly refuse to consider that other options are possible and some people will never be satisfied.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:33 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Kate attended her first solo engagement last night. It was a dinner at Clarence House for Prince Charles' charity, In Kind Direct. She stood in for him since he is in Saudi Arabia. Photos are going to be released later today.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:05 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
Kate attended her first solo engagement last night. It was a dinner at Clarence House for Prince Charles' charity, In Kind Direct. She stood in for him since he is in Saudi Arabia. Photos are going to be released later today.

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge attending an event in support of the 'In Kind Direct' charity at Clarence
House on October 26, 2011 in London. The event was the Duchess of Cambridge's first solo engagement.

** gettyimages gallery **

** mirror: Kate Middleton wears turquoise empire-line dress as she fills in for Prince Charles at charity dinner **

** dailyrecord.co.uk: Duchess of Cambridge carries out her first solo engagement **
Old 10-27-2011, 08:06 AM
Heir Apparant
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Week Team Member

I'm not sure if it's the right thread to post this link

The Duchess of Cambridge hosted a dinner on behalf of HRH The Prince of Wales, celebrating the work of In Kind Direct. October 26, 2011

In Kind Direct - HRH The Duchess of Cambridge attends In Kind Direct engagement
Old 10-27-2011, 08:06 AM
Courtier

Clarence House tweeted a photo link of the Duchess at last nights dinner reception. I can't wait for more!!!

As The Prince of Wales was in Saudi Arabia, The Duchess of Cambridge stood in for her father-in-law at an @InKindDirect dinner last night
Old 10-27-2011, 08:17 AM
Aristocracy

it alsways seems to me that she always angles herself with the camera so you only get a side view of her, there are very few full front pictures....or is it just me?
Old 10-27-2011, 08:36 AM
Nobility

Wow - to have her first solo work be done on very short notice would surely be a challenge! How great that she handled it with aplomb. Her families must be so proud!

Also, so nice to hear how well Charles has supported her. I like this family more and more and more.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:12 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Hair Royal Highness: Kate gets weft hair extensions for her first solo outing | Mail Online
Old 10-27-2011, 09:39 AM
Majesty

Quite amusing that for the DM the use of hair extensions was a bigger news story than the fact that Catherine had carried out her first solo engagement.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:45 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by csw View Post
Wow - to have her first solo work be done on very short notice would surely be a challenge! How great that she handled it with aplomb. Her families must be so proud!

Also, so nice to hear how well Charles has supported her. I like this family more and more and more.
I am seriously getting the feeling that there is quite a warm rapport between Charles and Catherine and that's something that really is heartwarming.

Kate's dress was absolutely stunning!!
Old 10-27-2011, 09:51 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I am seriously getting the feeling that there is quite a warm rapport between Charles and Catherine and that's something that really is heartwarming.

Kate's dress was absolutely stunning!!
Agreed--I have the feeling that the Royal Family (at the very least the Queen, DoE and the Wales family) really love her.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

It definitely seems like PC and Kate have a very warm relationship. It's really nice to see that he and the rest of the RF are so supportive of her.

Quote:
Guests at the dinner, held for 30 guests at Clarence House, were informed that Charles was sorry to miss the dinner but was sending his "darling daughter-in-law."
Duchess of Cambridge's First Solo Royal Engagement : People.com
Old 10-27-2011, 10:32 AM
Heir Apparant
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Week Team Member

Kate Middleton Pictures at First Solo Royal Enagement Photo 5

Duchess Kate: In Kind Direct Event at Clarence House! | Kate Middleton : Just Jared

Kate makes first solo engagement standing in for Prince Charles - hellomagazine.com
Old 10-27-2011, 11:48 AM
Heir Apparent

Nice to see that the Duchess acquitted herself admirably in her first solo engagement. It does indicate that she has the poise and confidence to handle public appearances on her own, and I'm sure she'll perform equally as well with more high-profile and visible outings. It's also great that she and Prince Charles, and most likely the rest of the immediate RF, share such a warm relationship, too.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:57 AM
Serene Highness

Hurray! She finally did something with her hair!
But oh, she's sooo thin.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:02 PM
Majesty

Spletnik -The solo engagement for the Duchess of Cambridge.

Kate Middleton Dons Evening Gown, Parties With Old Folks (PHOTOS, POLL)