The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 08:57 AM
Aristocracy

That's true but let's face it like or not no one is that interested in anything camillia or Charles do. Kate and William are the future of the BRF and are very important to it

Old 09-29-2011, 10:30 AM
Heir Apparent

Whew! Lots of heat just under the surface of the comments above. I'll come back when the air is more balmy.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:45 AM
Courtier

I don't know how many times it needs to be stated that she has only been a Royal for 5 months! AND in that time she has taken a major official tour to Canada and the US, has attended other Royal functions with members of the RF, and has visited riot victims. And yet all certain people can do is claim she is lazy and all she does is shop based on photos of her running errands that she doesn't have staff to do for her. Of course there are hundreds of photos of her doing her job, but let's just ignore those shall we?

Let me pose this question and see how many of you will actually answer it. Being a commoner (assuming you are) and having just married the second in line to the throne, how long do you think it would take YOU to be ready to take on full time Royal duties, choose a few charities out of thousands to support and start doing your first solo appearances?
Old 09-29-2011, 10:50 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I really can't understand what all the hype is about what Kate does or does not do right now. Its been stated blatantly that both Kate and William will be remaining under the radar for the next couple of years at least until he finishes his tour of duty in Wales. In that respect, they're having a private life. To be honest, as William is still heir to the heir, I'd not be surprised one bit if he signs up for another stint with SAR. Once William becomes heir apparent, it will be time enough for both William and Kate to step into full time royal duties.

I'm sure we'll see them out and about on various occasions with the Jubilee and a royal engagement or two and isn't there a trip planned for the two of them in the works? Other than that, they are going to be very private people going about their own lives at their choosing.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:50 AM
Aristocracy

I really love Will and Kate and want them to be happy and do amazing things. But I do feel if Kate doesn't start to do engagements on her own and appear to be working for the "firm" the press and public will tire of excuses. Princess Charlene is doing things on her own and god knows she has had a lot to cope with. As always just IMO.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:55 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady74 View Post
I really love Will and Kate and want them to be happy and do amazing things. But I do feel if Kate doesn't start to do engagements on her own and appear to be working for the "firm" the press and public will tire of excuses. Princess Charlene is doing things on her own and god knows she has had a lot to cope with. As always just IMO.
IIRC the public and the press has been told that they will remain very low key at least for the next couple of years. I really don't think that the Firm expects or is pushing Kate to step up to the plate and start doing engagements but take her time to get the feel of what is entailed in a royal life and to start thinking of what areas she would be interested in supporting.

We have to remember too that Charlene is married to the Big Guy of Monaco and William is quite a bit removed at this time from being in that sort of spotlight.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:15 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi

IIRC the public and the press has been told that they will remain very low key at least for the next couple of years. I really don't think that the Firm expects or is pushing Kate to step up to the plate and start doing engagements but take her time to get the feel of what is entailed in a royal life and to start thinking of what areas she would be interested in supporting.

We have to remember too that Charlene is married to the Big Guy of Monaco and William is quite a bit removed at this time from being in that sort of spotlight.
The Queen is in her 80's Charles in his 60's people want to see the young couple. All I'm saying is she needs to step up soon she knew what she was getting into they had been together for years. She is not a 20 year old most women of her age have a career and or a family. As I say I love her and Will but I want her to start and do something the best training is on the job
Old 09-29-2011, 11:18 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post

I agree Osipi, they are doing exactly what the palace said they would. I don't understand why people expected something different.

As to Charlene compared to Catherine, apples to oranges IMHO.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:26 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Newbie

I agree Osipi, they are doing exactly what the palace said they would. I don't understand why people expected something different.

As to Charlene compared to Catherine, apples to oranges IMHO.
Well if she isn't going to work for the firm for a couple of years she needs to find a job. This isn't the 1950's women don't sit around doing nothing any more princess or not.The bad press will surely come if she doesn't . Let's hope she has a baby soon
Old 09-29-2011, 11:33 AM
Courtier

Quote:
The Queen is in her 80's Charles in his 60's people want to see the young couple. All I'm saying is she needs to step up soon she knew what she was getting into they had been together for years. She is not a 20 year old most women of her age have a career and or a family. As I say I love her and Will but I want her to start and do something the best training is on the job

She needs to step up soon? She has been married 5 months. She has already been on a major tour of Canada and the US and has done several public appearances both in official and non-official capacity since her marriage with her husband.

I find it rather amusing that people assume because she was William's girlfriend for 8 years prior to marrying him, that this is all the training she needs to step out on her own. Camilla was Charle's girlfriend for decades, but it took her over almost 2 years to take on her own personal charities and do solo appearances aside from the Osteoporosis Society of which she was already a long time patron. Same with Diana, Sarah and Sophie.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:37 AM
Aristocracy

As I say she isn't a 20 year old girl like Diana was. She is a fully grown woman and needs to have a career if she is to relate to the public and this won't go away till she does have one or shows she is being productive to society.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:40 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by texankitcat View Post
I don't know how many times it needs to be stated that she has only been a Royal for 5 months! AND in that time she has taken a major official tour to Canada and the US, has attended other Royal functions with members of the RF, and has visited riot victims. And yet all certain people can do is claim she is lazy and all she does is shop based on photos of her running errands that she doesn't have staff to do for her. Of course there are hundreds of photos of her doing her job, but let's just ignore those shall we?

Let me pose this question and see how many of you will actually answer it. Being a commoner (assuming you are) and having just married the second in line to the throne, how long do you think it would take YOU to be ready to take on full time Royal duties, choose a few charities out of thousands to support and start doing your first solo appearances?
No, we can't ignore that she has been on a couple of fun trips with her husband.

I can't even imagine sitting around no matter to whom I was married. But I am blessed that I'm a "go-getter," never been afraid of public speaking, etc. In 5 months time, I would have at least ONE organization to patronize, because I would have been involved with at least one or two charities before I married royal. I don't see that with Kate.

Low-key doesn't mean comatose, save buying groceries and getting one's hair done.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:43 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Well if she isn't going to work for the firm for a couple of years she needs to find a job. This isn't the 1950's women don't sit around doing nothing any more princess or not.The bad press will surely come if she doesn't . Let's hope she has a baby soon
There's nothing wrong with being a housewife. The women that I know who were houswives in the 1950s did not sit around. It's incredibly presumptious to assume that any woman who does not have a paying job (and does not have children in the home) is just sitting around doing nothing.

Kate might get bad press, granted, though I don't think she should. She's doing exactly what everyone said she would do, and she's not on the civil list. I think her getting a "real" job would likely do more harm than good.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:55 AM
Aristocracy

IMHO she should just put the name of several charities on a wall, grab some darts, put on a blindfold and toss away...the charities she hits are the ones she should become patron of...quick and simple.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:58 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Errr, I beg to differ. There are still plenty of women who "stay at home". I don't know why that equates with "sitting around and doing nothing". Just because she doesn't tweet every minute of the day telling everyone what she just ate or when she last visited the loo doesn't mean she is doing nothing. If people choose to disbelieve statements from Clarence House so be it, nothing is going to satisfy until they see Catherine out and about ... and as previously stated, that is not going to happen for awhile.

ETA, what makes you think women of the '50s "sat around" while they were at home?
Old 09-29-2011, 12:01 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlock221B
IMHO she should just put the name of several charities on a wall, grab some darts, put on a blindfold and toss away...the charities she hits are the one she should become patron of...quick and simple.
Love it great idea. Then get out there shake some hands make a speech and do the PR simple.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:04 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Love it great idea. Then get out there shake some hands make a speech and do the PR simple.
Simple? Clearly YOU should have married William instead of Catherine and then you could do the "simple" things.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:06 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess of Durham

Errr, I beg to differ. There are still plenty of women who "stay at home". I don't know why that equates with "sitting around and doing nothing". Just because she doesn't tweet every minute of the day telling everyone what she just ate or when she last visited the loo doesn't mean she is doing nothing. If people choose to disbelieve statements from Clarence House so be it, nothing is going to satisfy until they see Catherine out and about ... and as previously stated, that is not going to happen for awhile.

ETA, what makes you think women of the '50s "sat around" while they were at home?
No they didn't because they cooked cleaned washed without machines etc etc now don't tell me Kate is scrubbing the kitchen floor or ironing Wills shirts
Old 09-29-2011, 12:09 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess of Durham

Simple? Clearly YOU should have married William instead of Catherine and then you could do the "simple" things.
No thanks I know what's involved and I would have thought she did too
Old 09-29-2011, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlock221B View Post
IMHO she should just put the name of several charities on a wall, grab some darts, put on a blindfold and toss away...the charities she hits are the one she should become patron of...quick and simple.
Totally great idea. Why should she put any kind of thought or care into the organizations she plans to patronize? That kind of thinking and preparation is just silly. It's much better to just pick any charity and pretend to care.

She's taking her time to get acquainted with the different charities, getting private lessons on the establishment and settling into married life. I see nothing wrong with this plan. And obviously, neither does Kate, Clarence House or the Queen.

They are not full-time royals, so I don't understand why they have to be front and center right now.

On another note, Kate visited the National Portrait Gallery yesterday.

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrityn...allery-2011299

Closed Thread