The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 02:31 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella
I'm sorry but how in love can you be and then go out and cheat on your husband. .
It happens all the time. I've known couples that have been tested by an extramarital affair and then got back together including some in my family.

"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 01-08-2007, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Skydragon..we must agree to disagree.

You have made your views/opinion on Sarah quite clear as have I. We both agree that she was not suited for Royal life. I think we would also agree that people are extremely different and thus handle various situations differently. And I sure you would also agree that dating someone in the Armed forces is a lot different than being married to one. Likewise dating a Royal and marrying one. So all this discussion about what she knew before she married is pretty much naught IMO. And my opinion (which I am entitled to) is that Sarah couldn't handle being a Naval officer and Royal wife.

Old 01-08-2007, 04:23 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
There you have probably hit the nail on the head. Her father was army, never away on long tours and able as an officer, to 'pop' home for most weekends. With the RF, I would imagine, it is like the club you want to belong to, without really knowing what is involved.

Many spouses get a shock when they realise what life as a servicemans spouse involves, Sarah never struck me as being that naive.
Since the Queen (as Princess Elizabeth) lived as a naval wife with her husband for long stretches when Prince Philip was posted to Malta, I don't think it's unreasonable of Sarah to have assumed that she'd have lived with her husband in naval housing when he was based in the UK, which I think he was for a while after their marriage. Obviously there would be separations when he was at sea, but it seems as though she was expected to live at Buckingham Palace even when he wasn't at sea, which is rather strange.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk
And I sure you would also agree that dating someone in the Armed forces is a lot different than being married to one.
This is the one point I really disagree with, you get a very good idea just what life is going to be like (the absences for periods of time, missing Birthday parties, the worry etc) from the courtship. You tend to meet and talk to other officers and their wives. She also knew from Charles' experience. I think she just had too many high expectations of married life.

Who knows, perhaps he promised to give it all up and take a desk job!
Old 01-08-2007, 04:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
Since the Queen (as Princess Elizabeth) lived as a naval wife with her husband for long stretches when Prince Philip was posted to Malta, I don't think it's unreasonable of Sarah to have assumed that she'd have lived with her husband in naval housing when he was based in the UK, which I think he was for a while after their marriage. Obviously there would be separations when he was at sea, but it seems as though she was expected to live at Buckingham Palace even when he wasn't at sea, which is rather strange.
Didn't they rent a villa, away from the base? Do we even know the truth about where she was expected to live, The, security for Andrew had to be tough because of the NI problem and it was possible that it was, for everyone concerned the safer option to stay at the palace. Certainly it would have been reassuring to Andrew, to know his wife was safe while he was not there. I would imagine that Andrew could have rented near to the base once he was married, before that he would have been in Officer quarters within the barracks, rather than the housing estates on and around the base.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:23 PM
Administrator

Pics 9.01.2007

Sarah, Duchess of York with daughters, HRH Princess Beatrice and HRH Princess Eugenie attending the memorial service for James Wentworth Stanley (aged 21, son of Marquis of Milford Haven), at St Paul's Knightbridge, London, 09/01/2007.

Sarah and the girls
Pic 2
Pic 3
Comfort

more pictures can be found here.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:31 PM
Serene Highness

Thanks for the fabulous photos, Iceflower. Just a couple of comments (as usual) ~ Beatrice's dress is a bit high (esp. for a memorial service) IMO. And what is Eugenie wearing? I wish we could see a photo w/out the dress but it looks like she's off to a party or something from what is peeking out from under her coat.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella
Thanks for the fabulous photos, Iceflower. Just a couple of comments (as usual) ~ Beatrice's dress is a bit high (esp. for a memorial service) IMO. And what is Eugenie wearing? I wish we could see a photo w/out the dress but it looks like she's off to a party or something from what is peeking out from under her coat.
I wondered about Eugenie's outfit too, but then it occurred to me that perhaps it was a dress her late friend had particularly liked on her. We'll never know, and since it's a memorial service for someone very close to her, I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and assume she had a good reason.

Thank you for posting the links to the photos, Iceflower.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:10 PM
Gentry

couldn't agree more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk
How on earth is that tacky? They are two people who used to be married, who share two daughters. They seem to realize that they are better friends than anything else....why can't every one else accept that?
AMEN!!!! I was blessed to marry my best friend and have been married to him for 12 years. Sarah and Andrew seem to be happy, their kids, from the bits I have seen, seem happy, so I simply can't fathom why their relationship bothers so many people on here!!! I could think of other relationships that did a LOT more harm that Sarah and Andrew's has to the Royal Family, regardless of recent history!!!!

I read all the way to the end of this little "sub-thread", and it looks like some folks just can't stand Sarah or anything she does. IMO, she could prostrate herself in front of Buckingham Palace in sackcloth and ashes and it wouldn't be enough for those people.

I just don't get THIS part.... If you don't like someone or how they behaved, WHY spend time READING and WRITING ABOUT THEM????
Old 01-09-2007, 10:17 PM
Aristocracy

Because it makes the particular person more newsworthy and thus, promotes stimulating discussion and general comment.

I think most of us gravitate towards the unconventional members/ex-members of the royal family. This doesn't necessarily imply approval or disapproval but it does make for lively discussion.

I love it!
Old 01-09-2007, 10:59 PM
Courtier

Sarah is (suppose) to be on The View tomorrow.

You can get videos on there website (after the show airs)

http://abc.go.com/daytime/theview/index.html

I don't know though if she has cancelled, because of the memorial service though.

Map for the British Royals
Old 01-10-2007, 06:50 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by skhaynie
IMO, she could prostrate herself in front of Buckingham Palace in sackcloth and ashes and it wouldn't be enough for those people.
That would gain her more publicity, I suppose but, far too exhibitionist for anyone with a modicum of taste I would have thought. With Sarah, one never knows!

Quote:
I just don't get THIS part.... If you don't like someone or how they behaved, WHY spend time reading and writing about them???
As Avareenah has already said, it makes for interesting discussions. To me, that is why this is called a forum, not a ??? fan site.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:19 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by skhaynie
IMO, she could prostrate herself in front of Buckingham Palace in sackcloth and ashes and it wouldn't be enough for those people.
HA! And Prince Philip would probably glance out the window before turning away in disgust muttering, "Hmpf, I see Sarah's up to her old tricks."
Old 01-10-2007, 10:43 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Can we cool down the temperature in here a bit? Pretty soon and we might need to run the air conditioner.

ysbel
British forums moderator
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 01-10-2007, 08:49 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oppie
Sarah is (suppose) to be on The View tomorrow.
I don't know though if she has cancelled, because of the memorial service though.
She made it the show, which really impresses me. She said the Wentworth-Stanley son committed suicide (I thought it was still unknown whether it was accidental or otherwise, so now we know.) Very sad.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Jean
She made it the show, which really impresses me. She said the Wentworth-Stanley son committed suicide (I thought it was still unknown whether it was accidental or otherwise, so now we know.) Very sad.
You were right, it is still unknown whether it was an accident or a suicide.
Of course Sarah, as a family friend, may know more then we do, however the Police is still trying to figure out whether it was accidental or not.
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 01-11-2007, 04:36 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
You were right, it is still unknown whether it was an accident or a suicide.
Of course Sarah, as a family friend, may know more then we do, however the Police are still trying to figure out whether it was accidental or not.
I think it would have been sensible, not to make this announcement before the police investigation is concluded.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:01 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I saw Sarah on The View too, and was struck by her comments on the movie The Queen. Sarah said the movie made her wonder if she had let the Queen down (and she was very upset by the question).

Although I like Sarah, that comment made me wonder! She should have been considering that possibility at least as long as 19 years ago. Hmmm.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:08 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle
I saw Sarah on The View too, and was struck by her comments on the movie The Queen. Sarah said the movie made her wonder if she had let the Queen down (and she was very upset by the question).

Although I like Sarah, that comment made me wonder! She should have been considering that possibility at least as long as 19 years ago. Hmmm.
I bet that if she thought the way she thinks now as an older, dare I say more mature woman, it would have bothered her way back when. Back then, I don't think she thought much further than herself and what she could obtain for free. Now, in hindsight, she has seen what she has done wrong and has tried to correct it, what she can correct.
I'm sure back then, she did not think it was possible to hurt the Queen in any way. And now through the course of her actions, both positive and negative, she has seen what damage she has done, which in turn is not something that can be corrected now. I'm sure the Queen and everyone else in the free world has forgiven Sarah for the way she acted in the past, but they have not forgotten, hence her reputation now a days. And now that she looks back, and sees the person she once was, and the person she has become today, I bet it would make her upset to know that she had let a very important person down. That is something that can never be undone.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:42 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
I think it would have been sensible, not to make this announcement before the police investigation is concluded.
Yes I agree!! Or what if the family didn't really want it known it was a suicide? It seemed like an innocent slip of the tongue on Sarah's part but a bit unfortunate.

Closed Thread

Tags
fergie, sarah duchess of york