Sarah, Duchess of York Current Events 18: January 2014 - July 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think she looks good from the neck up. That dress shows off her weight loss but it isn't age apropriate. The white collar does nothing for her and simply shows off how bad her arms are. And her hair seems remarkably darker then it has in recent times which makes me think she does colour it. Her makeup is awful and sorry so is the hair. Her colouring doesn't go with the harshness of the white it is jarring not a good look for her at all. If it had been a straight black dress with her arms covered and without the high neck some good makeup and a more flattering hairstyle then she would off looked good. Sarah has not aged well she needs some better skin care and to dress more flattering.

I'm afraid I don't like the look of the dress she wore to the cognac do at all. I think the white, beaded, part at the top looks plain wrong with the long, black, Morticia Addams dress beneath. And the long hair is wrong with the long dress, too; it should be up, especially with a woman her age who should confirm to that sort of fashion/style propriety.

And why was she wearing evening dress if the men weren't wearing evening wear? A cocktail length black dress would have been better, I think, with a sheer black part instead of the white, beaded, part, with a sheer fabric extending down the arms to cover the flabby bits of her upper arms. I like you, Sarah, but time is marching on and at our age we all need to cover up our flabby bits.

Last edited:
A cocktail length black dress would have been better, I think, with a sheer black part instead of the white, beaded, part, with a sheer fabric extending down the arms to cover the flabby bits of her upper arms. I like you, Sarah, but time is marching on and at our age we all need to cover up our flabby bits.

i agree; Sarah might like to take a leaf out of the Helen Mirren age-appropriate dress style; she always looks stunning. Not that Sarah is as old as H Mirren, of course, but H Mirren could show anyone of any age how to dress beautifully. Sarah has started to look a lot older in the last couple of years, and I think her makeup is too harsh. She has lots of good points; she just needs to highlight them.

A nice sheer lace short open front jacket would have been much more appropriate to wear with this gown.........this white thing, looks like something from a showgirl in Vegas would wear or a streetwalker in any city in the world would wear while peddling her wares, this is not a good thing. Time to up the ante and dress like a lady, and not show certain parts of the body regardless of where they are at.

Oh look, Sarah's wearing a doily as a capelet.

I think Sarah look nice. The dress fits and flatters her figure. The white 'collar' look okay. Cannot tell if it is part of the dress or was placed over the dress to cover the shoulders and neck.

All the people in the photos appear to be in black, some in formal and some semi-formal wear. Sarah is dressed appropriately. Her arms may be freckled and not toned but they are flabby.

Last edited:
At this Event she pronounced a speach and told about Andrew and her daughters, not very appropriate to mix the British Royals with a Cognac Auction !

At this Event she pronounced a speach and told about Andrew and her daughters, not very appropriate to mix the British Royals with a Cognac Auction !

It was a charity auction that benefited Children in Crisis, Sarah's children's charity. TRH's Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie are both affiliated with Children in Crisis, so speaking of them is natural.

I didn't see this coming, Sarah has an exciting week ahead.

The Queen lets Fergie celebrate her birthday at Windsor Castle | Royal | News | Daily Express

This article doesn't tell the full story. This occasion is primarily to mark Children in Crisis 21st birthday/anniversary. Sarah mentioned it (although not the venue) in an interview in Hello at the beginning of the year. Andrew also has it listed on his facebook page. Re the guest list Harry and Cressida, possibly because of their friendship with the girls, but Edward, Sophie, Zara, Peter, I wouldn't think so. Sarah's life has been a roller coaster, but Children In Crisis has stood the test of time. Hope everyone has a lovely evening.
Off topic, just how amazing does the castle look in the sunshine ...

I don't think the full story about the Windsor Castle party will ever really be known. The timing of the party cannot be a coincidence. Celebrating the 21st anniversary of a charity seems odd, the 20th, yes, the 25th, yes, but the 21st? It isn't like 21 is the age of majority in the UK and it could be construed as some sort of pun...

So far as the guest list, that too will very likely be a bit of a mystery. Peter Phillips was in Sarah's wedding party, after all...and there are several photos of Zara and Sarah in the last few years at various charity events...and when Andrew was invested into the Order of the Garter it was Sophie who Sarah stood beside and chatted with...they're all people who have been friendly with Sarah post-divorce.

It's unusual for an ex-husband to throw his ex-wife a birthday party or party celebrating the lifespan of a charity she founded. Either way it would be exceptional. And exceptional is the word that always comes to mind when discussing the Yorks: an utterly admirable relationship between Andrew and Sarah, whatever goes on behind closed doors, and their delightful daughters have reaped the benefits of this relationship and, I imagine, so have they.

I hope they all have a ball. And I hope that Sarah, at 55, can look back at the life she's lived, and smile.

I don't think the full story about the Windsor Castle party will ever really be known. The timing of the party cannot be a coincidence. Celebrating the 21st anniversary of a charity seems odd, the 20th, yes, the 25th, yes, but the 21st? It isn't like 21 is the age of majority in the UK and it could be construed as some sort of pun...

So far as the guest list, that too will very likely be a bit of a mystery. Peter Phillips was in Sarah's wedding party, after all...and there are several photos of Zara and Sarah in the last few years at various charity events...and when Andrew was invested into the Order of the Garter it was Sophie who Sarah stood beside and chatted with...they're all people who have been friendly with Sarah post-divorce.

I wouldn't expect all those royals to be invited. It would be really interesting if Sophie did show up...I don't expect it, although it's interesting that Andrew is sending out the invitations. Letting Sarah have a party at Windsor Castle does show that the Queen is supportive of Sarah.

I hope that Sarah wows everyone with the way she looks, in a lady-like way.:) It's time for her to pull out all the stops!!!

I didn't see this coming, Sarah has an exciting week ahead.

The Queen lets Fergie celebrate her birthday at Windsor Castle | Royal | News | Daily Express

This article doesn't tell the full story. This occasion is primarily to mark Children in Crisis 21st birthday/anniversary. Sarah mentioned it (although not the venue) in an interview in Hello at the beginning of the year. Andrew also has it listed on his facebook page. Re the guest list Harry and Cressida, possibly because of their friendship with the girls, but Edward, Sophie, Zara, Peter, I wouldn't think so. Sarah's life has been a roller coaster, but Children In Crisis has stood the test of time. Hope everyone has a lovely evening.
Off topic, just how amazing does the castle look in the sunshine ...

I would be surprised if Sarah's birthday party was actually held at Windsor as has been suggested in the article. Even the Queen's oldest grandson had to have his wedding reception at Frogmore rather than Windsor.

But reports that the Duke of York is throwing a 55th birthday party for his ex-wife,are 'totally incorrect', it was claimed today.
A spokesman for the Duchess told Mail Online that while a dinner is being held at the royal residence on Wednesday, it is to mark the 21st anniversary of her charity Children In Crisis and no mention of her birthday is being made.
James Henderson, who is also a trustee of the charity, said: 'There is an event being held on Wednesday night at Windsor Castle, but it is to mark the 21st anniversary of the Duchess's charity Children In Crisis.
'More than 200 receptions are held at the castle each year and this is one of them.
Queen to let former daughter-in-law Sarah Ferguson's charity throw £50,000 party at Windsor Castle | Daily Mail Online

I would be surprised if Sarah's birthday party was actually held at Windsor as has been suggested in the article. Even the Queen's oldest grandson had to have his wedding reception at Frogmore rather than Windsor.

Well, lets not forget that Prince William had his 21st Birthday Party at Windsor Castle.

I think it's great that Her Majesty is lending the castle's State Rooms to help celebrate Children In Crisis.

Well, lets not forget that Prince William had his 21st Birthday Party at Windsor Castle.

I think it's great that Her Majesty is lending the castle's State Rooms to help celebrate Children In Crisis.

William is also a future King, unlike Sarah!

Of course, charity receptions are fair games, and many are held every year. Extravagant birthday parties for former wives are certainly not!

They used to do big birthday parties all the time at Windsor. I think they did a combined one for Margaret 70's (1930), Anne's 50 (1950), Andrew's 40 (1960) and William's 18 in 2000.

The other article says its a charity dinner not a private birthday party so it's more like what William and Royal Marsden with Ralph Lauren did at Windsor.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

The other article says its a charity dinner not a private birthday party so it's more like what William and Royal Marsden with Ralph Lauren did at Windsor.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

That's correct. :)

That's certainly a possibility. The other possibility is that's the way it's being spun by the York PR team to the media.

I agree - I think the distinction is one of perception and media presentation. After all, tomorrow IS Sarah's birthday, so it would be an odd coincidence if the party just happened to be that day - in the eyes of all the guests it will be a joint celebration.
But as we know, the media loves to criticise Sarah - a £50,000 birthday party at WC would come across very badly! But if it's ostensibly for her charity, the perception is different.
Either way, I'm really excited and happy for Sarah that she'll have this celebration at WC - of the charity that means so much to her AND her special day!

I imagine that the York family will have a private celebration for Sarah's birthday. OTOH I'd be very surprised if there isn't some informal mention of it at the charity event, even if it's people wishing her a Happy Birthday when they greet her.:flowers:

I think The Queen has shown remarkable compassion towards Sarah. She's given her more leeway and perks than I would have. I don't remember The Queen showing this type of generosity to Mark Phillips.

Mark Phillips, to my knowledge, has never gone to the media to complain about his treatment or float suggestions that he and Anne were "bestest friends" or possibly getting back together. He's a very different character. :flowers:

I think The Queen has shown remarkable compassion towards Sarah. She's given her more leeway and perks than I would have. I don't remember The Queen showing this type of generosity to Mark Phillips.

Mark Phillips's life is totally different from Sarah's but I think he's okay with the royals. He also have a great relationship with Anne & Tim. Also, Mark and his former wife used to live on Princess Anne's estate, Gatcombe Park.

Mark Phillips, to my knowledge, has never gone to the media to complain about his treatment or float suggestions that he and Anne were "bestest friends" or possibly getting back together. He's a very different character. :flowers:

Mark did live on the Gatcombe estate with his second wife at Aston Farms. I believe he moved after his second divorce but don't quote me on that.

I don't think Anne and Mark were best friends but I do believe they continued to be partners in business.

And of course were jointly parents of their children....though there has been the very persistant long standing rumor about Zara being the blonde protection officer's daughter!

I didn't mean to insinuate that The Queen has mistreated Mark Phillips(not the case!), only that going by comparisons Sarah seems to hold a special place in The Queen's heart, for whatever reason.
But Mermaid1962 has a point, maybe Mark Phillips does receive tokens of generosity from The Queen he just doesn't brag about it to the media. He doesn't seem to need validation from the media. While Sarah looks for praise in many places.

It's always seemed to me that the Queen likes Sarah...that they have a real friendship outside that of their roles.

SV

I didn't mean to insinuate that The Queen has mistreated Mark Phillips(not the case!), only that going by comparisons Sarah seems to hold a special place in The Queen's heart, for whatever reason.
But Mermaid1962 has a point, maybe Mark Phillips does receive tokens of generosity from The Queen he just doesn't brag about it to the media. He doesn't seem to need validation from the media. While Sarah looks for praise in many places.

It could also be that the media just straight up is not interested in Mark Phillips. They maintain some interest in Sarah, but she was a bit of an iconic figure of the eighties and early nineties. Mark never was.

Plus, his children aren't titled royals, he never had a title or did engagements on behalf of the royal family... just comparing apples to oranges, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom