Sarah, Duchess of York Current Events 17: June 2011-December 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is perfectly conceivable that they did have a cuppa to discuss things - particularly when Sarah was to undertake official engagements on behalf of the government - and all royals are briefed by senior members of the government as part of the preparation for these events.

It is also possible that the PM was involved in discussions over the failing marriage - which also had constitutional implications as Andrew was 4th in line and it was clear that Charles' marriage had already disintegrated - in fact if not officially.

They would also have meet annually at Balmoral where it is again perceivable that a friendship developed.

I am saddened that people always assume Sarah is lying or exaggerating without truly analysing the situation and the possibilities.

Sarah has a good heart and I'm sure her thoughts and prayers are with Margaret's family.

Yet another opportunity for Sarah to put her head above the parapet, hark back to the life she had and lost, and of the people in high places she knew!

I think it would have been better if Sarah wasn't trying to make it sound like they were actually friends. Having a cup of tea with someone a couple of times hardly makes you friends! It isn't like Sarah dropped in to 10 Downing for a cuppa and a chat. She would have seen Mrs Thatcher when she went to visit the Queen and Sarah happened to be there I doubt Mrs Thatcher actually ever sought her out and would presume to give Sarah any sort of advice on anything. Sarah should have just said she was a great lady who she admired and she got the opportunity to meet her.

Well she didn't made the cut for the guest list for the invitation only funeral.......but Joan Collins did, lol.

If she didn't have priors for making such claims after the person was dead and no longer able to call her out, then I'd be less sceptical - but she has priors for this behavior (ex: complaining about her parents after both parents were dead to the point that her own sister issued a statement saying that's not the way I remember it; claiming some friend had said Diana had planned to rekindle their friendship just before she died.)
I realize there are widely different opinions regarding Sarah's motives and veracity, I'll admit that I tend to believe she seizes on every opportunity to promote her name and her 'brand' and thus I tend to see her actions through jaundiced eyes.

Couldn't she just have sent a sympathy card to Mark & Carole, and perhaps donated to charity as requested, like a normal person instead of making some sort of a public statement? Its not like anyone would have gone looking for her to make a comment as they would for a member of Parliament or a former member of her government. It just looks like an attempt to get back in the news and seem relevant.

It's amazing to me there's this much controversy over a statement that was basically "She was a nice lady to was nice to me, and I enjoyed sharing a cup of tea with her a few times over the years."

It's amazing to me there's this much controversy over a statement that was basically "She was a nice lady to was nice to me, and I enjoyed sharing a cup of tea with her a few times over the years."

It is not what was in the statement which was fine and dandy, but rather why make the statement in the first place. She was certainly not closely associated with the former PM in the public mind and no one would have questioned the lack of a statement by the ex Duchess.

Well, you know there are folks out there that won't waste time in trying to find something wrong with Sarah or think she's only thinking of herself.

Her words were kind and sincere in tribute to a person who just past away. I don't understand there is a need to try to turn her nice statement into something bad.

It is not what was in the statement which was fine and dandy, but rather why make the statement in the first place. She was certainly not closely associated with the former PM in the public mind and no one would have questioned the lack of a statement by the ex Duchess.

Perhaps she just wanted to express her feelings and memories about Margaret. Everyone is expressing their thought and feelings about the late Prime Minister. What's so bad with Sarah doing the same?

Last edited:
Because experience has taught us that whatever she does it makes sense to question her motives.

Maybe she was asked for one by the gossip columnist in question in relation to something else?

^^^^
Which would lead one to ask why was she talking to a gossip columnist in the first place.

Because experience has taught us that whatever she does it makes sense to question her motives.

Well, I don't think people should try to bring up her past mistakes when all she is doing is passing on her sincere and thoughtful memories on Margaret Thatcher. There was nothing slick, sneaky or sly in her statement.

Sarah has made her mistakes in the past but the sad part is people will never give her a break.

^^^^
Which would lead one to ask why was she talking to a gossip columnist in the first place.

Maybe he called her publicist? Maybe that day she was meant to be talking to him about another project? Who knows.

I just... there are things Sarah has done that are really wrong and obnoxious, but this statement was so innocuous that I can't find any fault at all with it.

Sorry Iluvbertie, I have to differ on a few points you made..

It is perfectly conceivable that they did have a cuppa to discuss things - particularly when Sarah was to undertake official engagements on behalf of the government - and all royals are briefed by senior members of the government as part of the preparation for these events.

I dont think The Prime Minister would be briefing Sarah on taking official engagements? That would be the last thing I presume a PM is worried about..At the most she would have had a little chat about how nervous it is to start public engagements and a few tips on how to face crowds and thats all..totally a courtesy call.

It is also possible that the PM was involved in discussions over the failing marriage - which also had constitutional implications as Andrew was 4th in line and it was clear that Charles' marriage had already disintegrated - in fact if not officially.

Again, I dont think Thatcher would have considered counselling Sarah on marriage as her duty in preventing a possible constitutional crisis.
When the Queen herself stayed away from all that stuff, why do you think Thatcher would have taken that responsibility..And BTW setting aside that that already the heir had two sons, why would Thatcher worry about Andrew's marriage, when she has no worry about Charles' marriage itself..

They would also have meet annually at Balmoral where it is again perceivable that a friendship developed.
I am saddened that people always assume Sarah is lying or exaggerating without truly analysing the situation and the possibilities.

Balmoral is a possibility for friendship, if we overlook the fact that PM stays there for less than 24 hours a year, and for a major part is engaged by HM,DoE, QM and several other of their age group..
And finally, I dont assume Sarah is lying/exaggerating, but I just say we should not make any assumptions of a "thick bond" between them, just basing on that pic..

Sarah has made her mistakes in the past but the sad part is people will never give her a break.

Because her past is not so far in the past, in fact it is quite recent, and she has not earned back any level of trust and respect. Frankly she has received more than a few breaks and has bungled them all.

Well, it's 2013 and I think everyone should at least move on from what happened in 2010 or 2009. Then again it really don't matter because if Sarah was alive in 1949 and made a mistake, people would try to throw her past mistake in her face in 2013 every chance they get.

Maybe there's something wrong with me but I just don't understand why anyone would try to see something bad in a very simple and sincere statement on the death of Baroness Thatcher, which she tweeted:

Sarah Ferguson ‏@SarahTheDuchess 9 Apr
Margaret Thatcher will be greatly missed. She is part of all our history+was such a strong+consistent lady+steadfast to me in friendship..

Last edited:
Sorry Iluvbertie, I have to differ on a few points you made..

I dont think The Prime Minister would be briefing Sarah on taking official engagements? That would be the last thing I presume a PM is worried about..At the most she would have had a little chat about how nervous it is to start public engagements and a few tips on how to face crowds and thats all..totally a courtesy call.

ALL royals are briefed before undertaking overseas tours and this can be done by any senior minister up to and including the PM.

The PM would most certainly be worried that a new royal would say something that would be embarrasing to Britian and would very conceivably sit down with that royal and give them some advice.

It is part of the PMs role to make sure that those that are officially representing the country know the country's position on things - yes they can delegate but with the royal family it would be the PM who would most likely be involved.

Again, I dont think Thatcher would have considered counselling Sarah on marriage as her duty in preventing a possible constitutional crisis.

When the Queen herself stayed away from all that stuff, why do you think Thatcher would have taken that responsibility..And BTW setting aside that that already the heir had two sons, why would Thatcher worry about Andrew's marriage, when she has no worry about Charles' marriage itself..

The Queen stayed away from a personal perspective.

The PM isn't interested in the family persective but how things affect the nation as a whole and with Charles and Diana's marriage disintergrating it was important to get the pulse on Andrew and Sarah's in case of the need for a regency - remember that Andrew was the next adult in line of succession at the time after Charles - so a very senior member of the royal family.

Balmoral is a possibility for friendship, if we overlook the fact that PM stays there for less than 24 hours a year, and for a major part is engaged by HM,DoE, QM and several other of their age group..
And finally, I dont assume Sarah is lying/exaggerating, but I just say we should not make any assumptions of a "thick bond" between them, just basing on that pic..

The PM spends a weekend there at least - which is more than 24 hours and it isn't all spent with the Queen and Duke but with the entire family.

:previous:Does David Cameron brief William/Kate/Harry before they go for a major visit?
I dont think so. If he really does, then IMO the British PMs are the most jobless PMs in the world.
For Gods sake they are Prime Ministers, not some senior officials or other ministers.
I think the Prime Minister deals only with The Queen and at the most, The Prince of Wales.
They dont care about lesser royals, they have 1000s of other things to worry about..

The Prime Minister's and government are very much involved with the royals and their foreign trips. Members of the royal family are not only representing The Queen on these visits but are flying the flag for Britain and Commonwealth. They are helping strengthen the bond and ties of other nations with the UK.

I think it is highly possible that the British PM does brief the royals before a trip abroad - afterall they are representing his/her government.

I really don't see the controversy, considering how many people are commenting on Margaret Thatcher at this moment. For example, the footballer David Beckham (!!) has issued a statement! I mean, seriously, why?! So I really don't see why Sarah shouldn't say something genuine and heartfelt about someone she got to know a little, who shares geographical connections with her mother's family, and whom she obviously admired as a public figure.

This comment from Sarah only appeared in the Telegraph. No one is up in arms about it and complaining here in the UK. So IMO some posters have lost perspective on this.

As for the PM not getting involved in royal divorce - it was troubled times and she may have spoken informally to Sarah but she just might have friendly when Sarah was feeling isolated. Whatever it was, Sarah has voiced apprecation - which is ok.

I don't think that the PM personally briefs the royal family for their tours. The tours are undertaken normally on behalf of The Foreign Office or the Business/Overseas Development offices. Someone from the relevant office will have been delegated responsibility for the tour and it won't be a politician but a civil servant. They liaise with BP, or CH or KP. They probably will also accompany the royals on the tour inb case dimplomatic issues arise.

Seems perfectly obvious that someone from the Telegraph asked her for a comment and she has responded with a short, fairly neutral statement. Nothing wrong with that. I don't suppose for one moment that Sarah approached them first. This is normal media stuff - it's just Phil Space and Philippa Page doing their job.:neutral:

Seems perfectly obvious that someone from the Telegraph asked her for a comment and she has responded with a short, fairly neutral statement. Nothing wrong with that. I don't suppose for one moment that Sarah approached them first. This is normal media stuff - it's just Phil Space and Philippa Page doing their job.:neutral:

I agree. Its made me think that somewhere along the line, Sarah did meet with Margaret Thatcher and that the experience was a positive one. That's Sarah's memory. Just as I could mention meeting and having a pleasurable experience with someone and they'd not have a clue of who I was.

With all the negatives coming out surrounding this lady's death, it was good to see something positive.

The media has milked Sarah for all they could in the last years- till she stopped talking to them and it became quiet- which was the right thing to do in my opinion. But Sarah still has her charities to support, so still keeps in contact with the press - or at least with someof it, with the Telegraph one of the most serious papers who are interested in the RF. So if a journalist of the Telegraph called her and asked: "Madam, have you got to know Lady Thatcher and what do you think about her demise?" she could have given in all propriety the printed statement. Plus it is known that Lady Thatcher had sometimes a liking for people she met and listened to them- not least her own first daughter-in-law, which she treated as a beloved relative even after the divorce of her son. So if she, like others, liked the openess and friendlyness of the Duchess of York, she really might have encouraged Sarah to turn to her in case Sarah needed that. We don't know exactly, BTW, why HM decided to honour Lady Thatcher on attending the funeral. It is not something she has to do but wanted to do, so maybe Lady Thatcher showed those people she respected (and I think as a tory from her background she really respected the RF, including Sarah) in private compassion and friendship.

Poor Sarah! It doesn't seem to matter what she says, somebody, somewhere will find fault with it. I think she was just trying to show respect for the deceased who was someone that she had met and liked.

Poor Sarah! It doesn't seem to matter what she says, somebody, somewhere will find fault with it. I think she was just trying to show respect for the deceased who was someone that she had met and liked.

She never just stops at that. She goes on to make an impression of an "eternal bond of friendship" with the deceased person. I wonder why she still didnt start any fuss on not being invited to her funeral. Maybe she is waiting for some jungle in Congo to take her up in its arms this time.

so maybe Lady Thatcher showed those people she respected (and I think as a tory from her background she really respected the RF, including Sarah) in private compassion and friendship.

On the contrary, I say Thatcher would have disapproved and even abhorred Sarah for being such a pain to the RF, for showing utter disregard to royal intentions by totally misusing and manipulating royal styles and titles (Calling herself Sarah Ferguson, The Duchess of York, signing autographs Sarah The Duchess totally knowing its utterly improper) for her cheap commercial promotions, being a hanger-on to her ex-husband, making such a hue and cry over not being invited to wedding, parading her daughters as royal versions of Kardashian/Paris Hiltons and not to mention her inglorious rendezvous at very regular intervals..
Thatcher would have either hated her for all these or had a sympathatic laugh at her eternal immaturity.

Vkrish, you cannot say that about baroness's view of Sarah. If you had read the British papers over the past few days you would know that many people, especially those not of a high status, have come forward to say how approachable and kind Margaret Thatcher was. It seems very easy for me to accept that she showed kindness to someone who was in trouble.

This is not a story of any description in the Uk, it is just another person saying that she had been shown kindness.

There are a number of cynics on this thread who seem just not to want to think that Sarah has made a simple, honest statement. IMO that's all she has done.

Her title is Sarah, Duchess of York.

edit : I'm wrong Vkrish, you can say what you said, I got a bit carried away there. Sorry.

I don't think anyone can analyze Sarah's relationship with the late Prime Minister. She paid her tribute and that was it. I don't see why anyone would even try to make it look bad on Sarah for making that statement.

Vkrish, you cannot say that about baroness's view of Sarah.
I don't think anyone can analyze Sarah's relationship with the late Prime Minister.

cepe and Dman, I am not analysing or interpreting Thatcher's views on Sarah. But since some people here are assuming that Thatcher might have respect +compassion+love+friendship for Sarah (I even quoted a post), which is as much an assumption as you allege me of, I am suggesting there might also be some other views she must have held regarding Sarah.
I have already stated in one of my previous posts that I have nothing against Sarah paying tributes to Thatcher.
But what I disagree with is the flood of assumptions.."Oh they must be friends".."Oh she must have sympathy for her cos her husband is away".."Oh she must have loved her so much".."Oh Sarah has awed the toughest PM".."Oh Thatcher respected Sarah a lot cos she is royalty"..
So I made this alternative assumption to counter them.
None of us know the truth, all we will do and can do is speculate..

PS :Those "assumptions" I listed were not exactly in those words, but throughout the last few pages you can see the same sense in many posts.

Last edited:
I never went into any speculations about their relationship. All I was saying is that I really don't get why anyone would think Sarah had an hidden agenda in her very simple and sincere statement about Margaret's passing.

I never went into any speculations about their relationship. All I was saying is that I really don't get why anyone would think Sarah had an hidden agenda in her very simple and sincere statement about Margaret's passing.

Because past behaviour is frequently indicative of future behaviour, and with Sarah we have learned there usually is an agenda.....getting her name back in the news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom