The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #561  
Old 05-06-2011, 10:29 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 3,122
I'm really doubtful Sarah's show will do well in terms of ratings.

Many watched the wedding, but ratings dropped precipitously after William and Kate drove off in that car; I read that television executives were disappointed that the follow-up programming didn't maintain interest.

Sarah has been out of the picture for a while now, and i don't think the financial scandal is enough to spike the ratings.
__________________

  #562  
Old 05-06-2011, 12:17 PM
FergieFan's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 147
I'd agree that it won't be any kind of ratings blockbuster - after all, it'll be shown a brand new and relatively unknown channel (even with the power of Oprah's name behind it).

But that doesn't matter too much. What's more important for her is that it should bring her back to the attention of her existing fanbase - those who bought her books and products, or went to meet her at Weight-watchers events or signings. If she can become visible again, and show herself in a positive context, to those fans (many of whom I believe feel real loyalty and affection to her), then she hopefully has a market for the next book or the next TV show, and a sustainable income for the future.
__________________

__________________
"There is no triumph without struggle, no wisdom without misjudgement, no character without getting knocked down and picking yourself up again".
- Sarah, Duchess of York
from Finding Sarah: A Duchess' Journey to Find Herself (2011: Simon & Schuster, New York)
http://duchessdiscoveries.com
  #563  
Old 05-06-2011, 07:56 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Waxahachie, United States
Posts: 5
Everyone go to OWN (Oprah Winfrey Network).com and see the Duchess of York's trailer for her new show.

Does anybody know how to mail a letter to the Duchess? I believe that she has an office at Buckingham Palace which takes mail for her.
  #564  
Old 05-06-2011, 08:26 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Galway, Ireland
Posts: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by hudsonm View Post
Does anybody know how to mail a letter to the Duchess? I believe that she has an office at Buckingham Palace which takes mail for her.

Welcome to the forum hudsonm.

Fergie is sued by lawyers over her 200,000 debts | Mail Online

I've attached an article which was in the DM last year.
It was about possible court proceedings against Sarah, it you scroll down you will see the address used on the official Court document which was served on Sarah. She still stays at Royal Lodge when in the UK according to all reports.
Hope this helps.
  #565  
Old 05-06-2011, 11:08 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Canada, Canada
Posts: 1,063
It doesn't look like OWN is doing so well...Oprah Winfrey's network OWN producing dismal results | TheCelebrityCafe.com
  #566  
Old 05-07-2011, 08:01 AM
FergieFan's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by hudsonm View Post
Everyone go to OWN (Oprah Winfrey Network).com and see the Duchess of York's trailer for her new show.

Does anybody know how to mail a letter to the Duchess? I believe that she has an office at Buckingham Palace which takes mail for her.

Thanks for letting us know about the trailer! As Irish Eyes rightly suggests, you should write to Sarah at Royal Lodge. I've written to her several times at that address for birthdays, Christmas or just letters of support, and I've received some wonderful, personally written responses. So I hope she'll honour you in the same way. I think that the support and encouragement of members of the public means a lot to her, so it's good of you to write to her and she'll appreciate it!
__________________
"There is no triumph without struggle, no wisdom without misjudgement, no character without getting knocked down and picking yourself up again".
- Sarah, Duchess of York
from Finding Sarah: A Duchess' Journey to Find Herself (2011: Simon & Schuster, New York)
http://duchessdiscoveries.com
  #567  
Old 05-07-2011, 12:18 PM
HRHduchesskate's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 45
The documentry 'Finding Sarah' airs soon. I doubt it will do much to improve public perception though.
  #568  
Old 05-07-2011, 01:15 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: LONDON, United Kingdom
Posts: 858
Lots of tears and hugs: Finding Sarah promises to be hard-hitting as it charts the duchess' struggle to find happiness | Mail Online

All this does is alienate the Royal Family away from her even more! William spoke volumes in not inviting her to his wedding!
  #569  
Old 05-07-2011, 01:25 PM
PrincessKaimi's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hilo, Malibu, United States
Posts: 1,328
It will be mostly Oprah fans and U.S. daytime televisions fans who watch the show. Even then, it will be people who remember her either from her wedding or from her Weight Watchers campaign. People who watch a lot of Oprah channel and Lifetime channel in the first place will simply leave the television on during Sarah's show and watch bits of it. That will generate some small revenue stream - but Oprah could afford to pay Sarah to make the show even if all it does is break even.

The channel is a lot like running a magazine, it has to have new content and not just advertising and reruns, so they're hard pressed to find interesting documentary material (one can only take just so much "crime that happens to women" docudramas and shows about recovery from various illnesses.

Apparently, finding some other person with royal connections to do a show (who would be recognizable to an American audience) was not possible. When you think about it, who else is there who could do this kind of show? Has to be female, has to be someone known to the baby boomer generation (and hopefully a little beyond that).
  #570  
Old 05-07-2011, 03:07 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bronx, United States
Posts: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post
It will be mostly Oprah fans and U.S. daytime televisions fans who watch the show. Even then, it will be people who remember her either from her wedding or from her Weight Watchers campaign. People who watch a lot of Oprah channel and Lifetime channel in the first place will simply leave the television on during Sarah's show and watch bits of it. That will generate some small revenue stream - but Oprah could afford to pay Sarah to make the show even if all it does is break even.

The channel is a lot like running a magazine, it has to have new content and not just advertising and reruns, so they're hard pressed to find interesting documentary material (one can only take just so much "crime that happens to women" docudramas and shows about recovery from various illnesses.

Apparently, finding some other person with royal connections to do a show (who would be recognizable to an American audience) was not possible. When you think about it, who else is there who could do this kind of show? Has to be female, has to be someone known to the baby boomer generation (and hopefully a little beyond that).
Doesn't have t be baby boomer I don't think, just interesting. It'd have to be someone with smaller royal connections cause everyone else is too well versed in keeping their mouth shut.

Sarah's the only one with the proper kind of baggage though. I mean Andrew could work, despite being male, but he's a rank and file member of the BRF, they'd tear his head off and jam it on a pike at the top of the Tower of London for that.
  #571  
Old 05-07-2011, 03:32 PM
HRHduchesskate's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by angieuk View Post
Lots of tears and hugs: Finding Sarah promises to be hard-hitting as it charts the duchess' struggle to find happiness | Mail Online

All this does is alienate the Royal Family away from her even more! William spoke volumes in not inviting her to his wedding!
I thought the same when it was announced she would not be invited to the Royal Wedding, She is clearly in no way involved with the royal family anymore, one would think for the sake of her daughter's she would keep a low profile. Imagine it will be largely promoted on Oprah.
  #572  
Old 05-07-2011, 06:21 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bronx, United States
Posts: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHduchesskate View Post
I thought the same when it was announced she would not be invited to the Royal Wedding, She is clearly in no way involved with the royal family anymore, one would think for the sake of her daughter's she would keep a low profile. Imagine it will be largely promoted on Oprah.
I think the BRF is probably gone into autopilot with her. They've got Kate and they're going to push her hard and act as if Sarah doesn't exist. So it's all she's got. Idiot that she is, you know that she knows how far she can take this. Her debts are basically gone so this is her trying to relaunch herself.

Will it work? Eh, could go either way though I believe, as much as the BRF don't want it to, Kate's ascension will probably help. Kinda makes you wonder if OWN is not making a mistake by not postponing it again to rub up against Kate hitting North America.

Did I just defend Sarah? I must be coming down with something.
  #573  
Old 05-07-2011, 10:54 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 3,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHduchesskate View Post
The documentry 'Finding Sarah' airs soon. I doubt it will do much to improve public perception though.

Not judging by the comments about this; they are a bit nasty, to put mildly. If it's true that what the public mostly wants is for Sarah to go away, it doesn't bode well for her media career.

Nor does it do her daughters any good!
(Notice the comment that the York girls got their father's brains and their mother's fashion sense? Ouch!)
  #574  
Old 05-08-2011, 12:40 AM
MRSJ's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: ******, United States
Posts: 1,863
If Sarah remarries does she lose the Duchess of York title?
  #575  
Old 05-08-2011, 12:45 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Canada, Canada
Posts: 1,063
I think we've answered this question many times before on here - Sarah doesn't have an HRH "title", just the handle Duchess of York, which she keeps unless she remarries - then she does lose it. If Andrew remarries, Sarah is still "Duchess of York", just not "the Duchess of York."

If that isn't accurate, hopefully someone can step in to correct!
  #576  
Old 05-08-2011, 12:50 AM
MRSJ's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: ******, United States
Posts: 1,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286
I think we've answered this question many times before on here - Sarah doesn't have an HRH "title", just the handle Duchess of York, which she keeps unless she remarries - then she does lose it. If Andrew remarries, Sarah is still "Duchess of York", just not "the Duchess of York."

If that isn't accurate, hopefully someone can step in to correct!
I knew as soon as I wrote title someone would correct me, I'd forgotten what else to call it aside from title so thank you....And I'm sure it's been answered but I have forgotten so thank you for reminding me.....I did know she wasn't an HRH .....:)
  #577  
Old 05-08-2011, 01:18 AM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 10,197
Sarah's use of the style Duchess of York is the standard use available to a divorced wife of a peer and thus she is Sarah, Duchess of York, just as the divorced wife of Mr John Smith is Mrs Jane Smith.

If Sarah ever remarried - someone other than Andrew - she would take on her new husband's name and title (if he had one). Should that marriage also end in divorce she would be able to return to using the style Duchess of York but she isn't The Duchess of York - that title can only be held by the actual wife of The Duke of York.
  #578  
Old 05-08-2011, 01:26 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Omaha, United States
Posts: 1,692
I think that those who like Sarah will really like her series, while those who are not fond of her will either not view the show or will watch and find reason to be critical of her. Sarah is taking a great chance with this series as far as her public perception is concerned. I wish her great luck, but the issues she's dealing with have been around since her divorce, and say, a year from now, Sarah is again broke or involved in some scandal, the press is going to be scathing, " Duchess Learned Nothing From The Experts", kind of headlines.
I haven't been a fan of Sarah's for a couple of years, but I hate to see her fail and I don't want to see her penniless or on the street, it would take a cold person to wish that.
It worries me that of the two women, Sarah has very much more to lose than Oprah. I hope that Oprah did not take advantage of Sarah and it worries me that if something happens, Oprah can go back and state, "It was all Sarah Ferguson's idea and I went along with it."
One more thing, my cable company has put the OWN in the high numbered channels and to receive it, I'd have to order an additional tier and that's going to cost big time. Many people are in that dilemma so I think that's a factor in the low following, but whatever loss is just a drop in the bucket for Oprah, but not for everyone else.
  #579  
Old 05-08-2011, 01:38 AM
ghost_night554's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 3,785
Am I the only one who wants to see it? Idk I kinda think right now the public have the wrong idea of her mostly because of the scandal last year I think if she is truly just trying to rebuild her life maybe it will give the public a better understanding of her problems. Look Sarah isn't perfect but still. As for William not inviting her IMO I think it was more of a seating issue then him not being on friendly terms with her. She's never once uttered one bad word about him so what has he got against her? I don't know I've been raised as your relatives are your relatives no matter how much they screw up you still love them and it's not as if she killed anyone.
  #580  
Old 05-08-2011, 02:00 AM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 10,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
Am I the only one who wants to see it? Idk I kinda think right now the public have the wrong idea of her mostly because of the scandal last year I think if she is truly just trying to rebuild her life maybe it will give the public a better understanding of her problems. Look Sarah isn't perfect but still. As for William not inviting her IMO I think it was more of a seating issue then him not being on friendly terms with her. She's never once uttered one bad word about him so what has he got against her? I don't know I've been raised as your relatives are your relatives no matter how much they screw up you still love them and it's not as if she killed anyone.

What does William have against her - simple - Sarah and Diana weren't on speaking terms when Diana died so William isn't on speaking terms with her now.

However there have also been suggestions that he isn't on good terms with Andrew either.

Personally I won't be watching the show, if it is on here, as I simply hate shows that are about people and their suffering. It is rather ghoulish if you has me - to watch someone else go through hell.
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sarah, Duchess of York Current Events 18: January 2014 Zonk The Duke of York, Sarah Duchess of York, and Family 864 12-04-2016 04:35 AM
Sarah, Duchess of York Current Events 1: January 2003-September 2004 Jacqueline Current Events Archive 170 09-23-2004 04:30 PM




Popular Tags
ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit best outfit september brunei royal family catherine middleton style coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events duchess of cambridge dutch state visit e-mail fashion poll grand duke jean greece kate middleton king abdullah ii king carl gustaf king felipe king felipe vi king harald king willem-alexander member introduction monarchy new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week prince bernhard prince charles princess marie princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathilde daytime fashion queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania queen rania australia november 2016 royal fashion september 2016 state visit state visit to denmark succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:00 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises