The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 07:17 AM
Aristocracy

New details released about Sarah's forthcoming TV show, "Finding Sarah":

Breaking News - Sarah Ferguson, The Duchess of York Shares Her Personal Struggle to Rebuild Her Life in the New OWN Series - "Finding Sarah" - Premiering June 12 | TheFutonCritic.com

It sounds very interesting. Obviously, a potential problem with a show like this is balancing the aim of getting entertaining TV with the aim of doing something that will genuinely help her. Personally, I'm rather sceptical about the shaman (!), but most of it seems reasonable. It’ll be fascinating to watch and I hope it does have a beneficial long-term impact on Sarah’s life.

http://duchessdiscoveries.com
Old 05-04-2011, 11:24 AM
Serene Highness

A shaman? Oh, goodness.

I think I've already described my views on this show. I think it will be gratuitous entertainment for the masses, who like celebrity reality shows; money for Oprah; and...unhelpful publicity for Sarah.

It doesn't make me too upset in the long run, though, because for a while I've had some ideas of what Sarah could do with her life. I don't think she'll end up doing anything more productive, though, until she realizes that the fountain of money and publicity that once sprung from being "Duchess of York" has dried up for good.

Old 05-04-2011, 04:14 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by FergieFan View Post

Breaking News - Sarah Ferguson, The Duchess of York Shares Her Personal Struggle to Rebuild Her Life in the New OWN Series - "Finding Sarah" - Premiering June 12 | TheFutonCritic.com

It sounds very interesting. Obviously, a potential problem with a show like this is balancing the aim of getting entertaining TV with the aim of doing something that will genuinely help her. Personally, I'm rather sceptical about the shaman (!), but most of it seems reasonable. It’ll be fascinating to watch and I hope it does have a beneficial long-term impact on Sarah’s life.

I just hope the show doesn't bring another barage of bad press, but it could make things even worse for her. Any ideas what the "unexpected news that threatens to bring back her self destructive behaviour" might be?
Old 05-04-2011, 05:46 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post
It doesn't make me too upset in the long run, though, because for a while I've had some ideas of what Sarah could do with her life. I don't think she'll end up doing anything more productive, though, until she realizes that the fountain of money and publicity that once sprung from being "Duchess of York" has dried up for good.
You wonder if the royal wedding will have a positive or negative on Sarah. Kate is a new Duchess and she might overshadow Sarah but, especially when they visit Canada in the summer, it might kick up the interest enough that Sarah might sneak back into the spotlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
I just hope the show doesn't bring another barage of bad press, but it could make things even worse for her. Any ideas what the "unexpected news that threatens to bring back her self destructive behaviour" might be?
I think it's more press than anything else. As these things have already been filmed any big things would've already been discussed on this board.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:51 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliver_bic View Post
I think it's more press than anything else. As these things have already been filmed any big things would've already been discussed on this board.
My thoughts on the unexpected news would have been when it all hit the fan about Andrew's friend Epstein helping to resolve some of Sarah's financial burden. That whole episode probably hit while they were still filming this 6 part series.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:52 AM
Aristocracy

I would agree that the Epstein controversy is likely to be the "unexpected news" that was mentioned.

As for silver_bic's point of whether the royal wedding and the new Duchess of Cambridge will be a positive or a negative for Sarah - it think it will be more positive than otherwise. The publicity means that British Royalty will be at the forefront of news and popular culture, especially in North America, which will be useful for Sarah in terms of marketing her future projects (books, TV, public speaking, etc.) in these territories, which is where she has made her money in the past.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:31 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post

I hope the same but don't expect it. The press don't know how to write a positive story about the Yorks and thus no matter what these shows are like they will get panned - simply because the press enjoy destroying her and her entire family.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:09 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I hope the same but don't expect it. The press don't know how to write a positive story about the Yorks and thus no matter what these shows are like they will get panned - simply because the press enjoy destroying her and her entire family.
Did you read what David Starkey said about Beatrice and Eugenie at the Royal wedding? He said that they having bad blood and bad breeding is the reason why they appeared to be so vulgar, especially when compared with the "poised" family of the bride. I don't like Sarah much and I find that she is much to flamboyant for her own good, but that is uncalled for both the York girls and their mother.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:11 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
Did you read what David Starkey said about Beatrice and Eugenie at the Royal wedding? He said that they having bad blood and bad breeding is the reason why they appeared to be so vulgar, especially when compared with the "poised" family of the bride. I don't like Sarah much and I find that she is much to flamboyant for her own good, but that is uncalled for both the York girls and their mother.
Sorry,but when did David Starkey say this?
Old 05-05-2011, 07:38 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenora View Post
Sorry,but when did David Starkey say this?

Royal wedding: Kate Middleton created her own dress, admits designer Sarah Burton - Telegraph

At the bottom of this article he says:

Meanwhile, David Starkey, the historian, is more concerned with the curious outfits worn by the Duke and Duchess of York’s daughters, Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie at the royal wedding.
“Beatrice and Eugenie suggest by their look bad blood and bad breeding,” says Starkey, unkindly. “You looked at them and they looked like the sort of demi-monde of Paris just before the First World War.”
Speaking at the private view of the Royal Society of Portrait Painters exhibition, at the Mall Galleries, he adds: “It was everything about them: the demeanour, the vulgarity.
“Their whole behaviour was 'look at me’. I wonder if it’s mummy’s influence. By contrast, the Middleton family was so elegant, so poised.”
Old 05-05-2011, 11:32 AM
Aristocracy

What an absolutely disgraceful piece of snobbery! And with no logical consistency – he compares the York girls’ “vulgarity” with the Middletons’ “poise” and “elegance”, so where, even by the logic of the ultra-snob, does “blood” come into it? After all, according to that kind of logic, the Princesses’ “blood” is far superior to that of the Middletons, even on Sarah’s side, since she has noble ancestors. (Please note that I don’t personally subscribe to such notions – I’m just trying to point out the ridiculous inconsistency of Starkey’s position!).

As for breeding - personally, I think that most fair-minded people, even those critical of Sarah, would agree that she’s done a great job bringing up her daughters (and Andrew too of course). Beatrice and Eugenie have, in some peoples’ opinion, made a mistake in the fashion department. It hardly justifies cruel, vindictive comments like these.

As iluvbertie says above, the press “enjoy destroying [Sarah] and her entire family”. You expect such behaviour from the gutter press, not from a highly educated professor of history who should know better. In the past I’ve enjoyed his historical documentaries, but next time there’s one on, I certainly won’t be watching. What an utterly vile individual!
Old 05-05-2011, 12:02 PM
Aristocracy

This isn't by far the worst thing he's ever said. This man is rude 24/7 I can't stand him.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:05 PM
Serene Highness

I enjoy David Starkey as a historian, but I cringed watching him comment on the royal wedding. Came off as a pompous twit and then some.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:10 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

He's always been a pompous twit, who I think believes after all his ensightful programs on the royals, he should be allowed to become one.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:47 PM
Nobility

I would also like to add my disgust at David Sharkey's comments.
Neither Sarah or her daughters deserve such insults. I think it says a lot more about the person making those comments than Sarah or the girls.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:04 PM
Aristocracy

Mr. Starkey is a cretin and full of himself, always have been. Don't worry.

Quote:

This is going to be GREEEEAT!!!! I know it. We all have to watch that TV show, right??
Old 05-06-2011, 06:39 AM
Aristocracy

Yeah, you're right, no point getting annoyed about it - who cares what he thinks?

And yes, I am hugely excited by the show! I don't think it's shown in the UK where I'm based, but lucky I've a friend, another fan, in the US who'll send me a recording. 6 hours of pure Sarah will be heaven to me, although considering the subject matter, it'll be an emotional rollercoaster too, and perhaps at times it may be quite hard to bear seeing her unhappy and upset (that was certainly what I felt on seeing the Oprah interview). But I do believe this can be a positive experience to help her get her life back on track, and I hope that's what we'll see.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post

Maybe, BUT.
He only said what has been said before, or at least intimated.

I remember comments about possible marriages for the York girls, and how the top echelon might be hesitant, royal heritage or not. They can expect to marry money, but it's questionable if they can marry blue blood.

That whole (Shame about the mother!) comment didn't come out of the air.

I agree that it's both unfair and unkind, and the girls have done nothing to deserve it, but perception can be a problem. Time will tell.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Let's get back on topic...this thread isn't about the York Princesses fashions, what David Starkey thinks about them or their martial prospects.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:21 AM
Majesty

Quote:
What an absolutely disgraceful piece of snobbery! And with no logical consistency – he compares the York girls’ “vulgarity” with the Middletons’ “poise” and “elegance”, so where, even by the logic of the ultra-snob, does “blood” come into it? After all, according to that kind of logic, the Princesses’ “blood” is far superior to that of the Middletons, even on Sarah’s side, since she has noble ancestors. (Please note that I don’t personally subscribe to such notions – I’m just trying to point out the ridiculous inconsistency of Starkey’s position!).

As for breeding - personally, I think that most fair-minded people, even those critical of Sarah, would agree that she’s done a great job bringing up her daughters (and Andrew too of course). Beatrice and Eugenie have, in some peoples’ opinion, made a mistake in the fashion department. It hardly justifies cruel, vindictive comments like these.

As iluvbertie says above, the press “enjoy destroying [Sarah] and her entire family”. You expect such behaviour from the gutter press, not from a highly educated professor of history who should know better. In the past I’ve enjoyed his historical documentaries, but next time there’s one on, I certainly won’t be watching. What an utterly vile individual!
Meanwhile, David Starkey, the historian, is more concerned with the curious outfits worn by the Duke and Duchess of York’s daughters, Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie at the royal wedding.
“Beatrice and Eugenie suggest by their look bad blood and bad breeding,” says Starkey, unkindly. “You looked at them and they looked like the sort of demi-monde of Paris just before the First World War.”
Speaking at the private view of the Royal Society of Portrait Painters exhibition, at the Mall Galleries, he adds: “It was everything about them: the demeanour, the vulgarity.
“Their whole behaviour was 'look at me’. I wonder if it’s mummy’s influence. By contrast, the Middleton family was so elegant, so poised.”

Beatrice and Eugenie suggest by their look bad blood and bad breeding,” says Starkey, unkindly.

Whilst I am no fan of Starkey, Starkey did not suggest B&E had bad blood or breeding, merely that their look suggested so - clearly a not so subtle difference. Lets not just get carried away here!

Closed Thread