The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #181  
Old 02-19-2011, 08:00 AM
FergieFan's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 147
The media are now reporting that Sarah won't be invited to Prince William's wedding after all - which certainly contradicts the reports of 2 or 3 weeks ago.

Read More: Royal Wedding: Diana's friend Sarah, Duchess of York is not invited by Prince William - Telegraph

I'm not that surprised, but it does seem a shame that they couldn't have moved on and showed a little generosity of spirit. Although I'm certainly not blaming Prince William - the decision is probably out of his hands.
__________________

__________________
"There is no triumph without struggle, no wisdom without misjudgement, no character without getting knocked down and picking yourself up again".
- Sarah, Duchess of York
from Finding Sarah: A Duchess' Journey to Find Herself (2011: Simon & Schuster, New York)
http://duchessdiscoveries.com
  #182  
Old 02-19-2011, 09:27 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bronx, United States
Posts: 427
Show a little generosity of spirit? So feeding her, sheltering her and wiping out most of her debt isn't enough?
She's gotten more than she's deserved from that family.
__________________

  #183  
Old 02-19-2011, 09:55 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: indianapolis, United States
Posts: 218
watch Sarah show up the day of the wedding.
  #184  
Old 02-19-2011, 09:59 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 3,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by FergieFan View Post
The media are now reporting that Sarah won't be invited to Prince William's wedding after all - which certainly contradicts the reports of 2 or 3 weeks ago.

Although it may seem like the Abbey has a huge capacity, they do have to limit the number of guests. (I read that one reason Charles and Diana chose St. Paul's was to accommodate the many people clamoring for invitations).

William and Catherine wanted something on a somewhat smaller scale, but unfortunately that means certain people (possibly not that close to the couple) will have to be left out.

They have friends, relatives, staff, courtiers, other royals, government officials, etc. who must be included. Not to mention the ordinary members of the public they plan to ask. They have to cut the list at some point.
  #185  
Old 02-19-2011, 10:13 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Galway, Ireland
Posts: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethaliz6894 View Post
watch Sarah show up the day of the wedding.
I believe and am not too surprised that Sarah didn't expect an invitation.
Why would she? Of course the Scandal last year was a diaster for her, but the fact is that even when things were going really well for Sarah, (say 10 years ago) earning some respect for paying off her debts, big popularity in the US, Andrew and herself being admired for providing a family unit for Beatrice and Eugenie, she has never being full accepted back into the fold, and this was at a time when many people would have welcomed a reunion with Andrew and even some tabloids were urging HM to invite her for Christmas.

I'm just curious as to why you might think she will show up on the day, what is your line of thinking there?
  #186  
Old 02-19-2011, 10:34 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: alpine village, Germany
Posts: 1,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by FergieFan View Post

I'm not that surprised, but it does seem a shame that they couldn't have moved on and showed a little generosity of spirit. Although I'm certainly not blaming Prince William - the decision is probably out of his hands.
A shame? Who shamed whom? Sarah has done the family one of the biggest disservice imaginable last year: on trying to sell access to a member of the family she presented them as mercenaries who would do anything for money. Not only Andrew and her daughters. She must have known that the Royal family is seen as a unit and on damaging one of them she is damaging all.

And then she went on to sell herself to Oprah as a "morally corrupt" woman that needs Oprah's and American specialist help "to be bettered" and saved from her moral faults. Which include public adultery and divorce... What kind of light does that shed on the BRF and their ability to cope with someone like Sarah?

Now this is a woman I believe the queen and duke would "love" to sit in the same church with when their "most dearly beloved grandson" (quote of the Queen in council), the hope of the monarchy for the future, ties the knot with his so far discreet and loyal bride.

I have nothing against Sarah in person, but what she did to the BRF was so bad that there cannot be an official invitation for her. That has nothing to do with generosity of the spirit but with pride in the family's honour.
  #187  
Old 02-19-2011, 10:34 AM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 11,329
I know Sarah is down and out and some might are very disappointed in her actions (as they have a right to be) but let's not start the Sarah bashing. Don't assume that you know what she is thinking or her next step will be.

The Sarah bashing (which recently started again) will not be tolerated.
__________________
.

  #188  
Old 02-19-2011, 10:38 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: alpine village, Germany
Posts: 1,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
I know Sarah is down and out and some might are very disappointed in her actions (as they have a right to be) but let's not start the Sarah bashing. Don't assume that you know what she is thinking or her next step will be.

The Sarah bashing (which recently started again) will not be tolerated.
Zonk, sorry I wrote my response while you were writing yours. But I didn't mean it to be a bashing of Sarah but rather I wanted to show why it's understandable that the BRF does notwant to have her in the wedding after last year's scandal. I hope it's okay so, otherwise please remove my post.
  #189  
Old 02-19-2011, 11:19 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: indianapolis, United States
Posts: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
I believe and am not too surprised that Sarah didn't expect an invitation.
Why would she? Of course the Scandal last year was a diaster for her, but the fact is that even when things were going really well for Sarah, (say 10 years ago) earning some respect for paying off her debts, big popularity in the US, Andrew and herself being admired for providing a family unit for Beatrice and Eugenie, she has never being full accepted back into the fold, and this was at a time when many people would have welcomed a reunion with Andrew and even some tabloids were urging HM to invite her for Christmas.

I'm just curious as to why you might think she will show up on the day, what is your line of thinking there?
even though she is divorced from the royal family, she is still his aunt. i think this is a tabloid reporting to sell papers.
  #190  
Old 02-19-2011, 02:32 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bronx, United States
Posts: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethaliz6894 View Post
even though she is divorced from the royal family, she is still his aunt. i think this is a tabloid reporting to sell papers.
There are plenty people aren't close to their biological aunts and uncles let alone their former aunt (She isn't an aunt as she isn't married to Andrew anymore). Her being at the wedding is a distraction that they've deemed necessary to needs to be avoid.

Regardless of how well she's done too much recently to simply give her a ticket. This is the most important day in the family's recent history and, if this report is true, it makes perfect sense for them to say no. Everything coming together in the last nine months simply comes off more bad than good.
  #191  
Old 02-19-2011, 02:36 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 6,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethaliz6894 View Post
even though she is divorced from the royal family, she is still his aunt. i think this is a tabloid reporting to sell papers.
Actually Sarah was William's aunt by marriage and not by blood. Once the marriage ended, she is no longer his aunt. Its the same in my case. The nieces and nephews of my ex husband are no longer related to me as I am not married to their uncle.
  #192  
Old 02-19-2011, 02:40 PM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 11,329
As I stated in the Wedding musings and suggestions thread, its really a matter of personal feelings.

True Sarah is legally not their aunt. Osipi provided one example. I have another. My parents have been divorced over 16 years. All of my cousins (on both sides of the family) do not refer to my parents as Ex Aunt/Uncle. They call them to this day ....Aunt XXX, Uncle XXX.

As my Uncle said (brother to my Mother)...Your parents divorced each other. We didn't.

Regardless, for whatever reason (lack of relationship between William and Sarah, scandal, lack of space and closer to other people)....its done. Sarah appears to be okay with (based on her statement).
__________________
.

  #193  
Old 02-19-2011, 03:43 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bronx, United States
Posts: 427
True, there are plenty of examples of the divorced former in-law still being called that or even unrelated folks being called it but that implies a closeness that we can't be sure that William and Harry had to Sarah.

The royals rarely congregate in mass so it'd be a bit tough to think that William and Harry were that close to a non-royal relative who divorced out of the family when they were nearing adolescence. Close to their mother or not.
  #194  
Old 02-20-2011, 01:24 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Omaha, United States
Posts: 1,690
Cool

I'm not surprised that Fergie didn't get an invitation, in reality, she wasn't close to William or Harry before their mother's death and especially when Diana and Fergie had a falling out. To be fair, Andrew shouldn't really get an invitation since he hasn't been close to either young man, but he's an uncle and a blood relative and there has to be peace in the immediate family.
It's natural that the York girls are invited because they're close in age to William plus both brother's have socialized with their cousins frequently.
  #195  
Old 02-20-2011, 03:49 AM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 10,194
The royal correspondent for one of the TV channels here this morning said that William hasn't spoken to Fergie since 1995 and that it was his decision not to invite her. Seems as if William does hold his mother's grudges well, in some cases and not others. The sad thing is that I think Diana and Sarah would have reconciled in time but Sarah is not going to be reconciled with the Wales' boys.
  #196  
Old 02-20-2011, 07:57 AM
sashajones's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: boston, United States
Posts: 159
I just read this on twitter and I agree with this decision, she is an embarrassment to the royal family. I do feel sorry for her two daughters. A lot of people finds Sarah to be a joke.
  #197  
Old 02-20-2011, 07:59 AM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 11,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrianna View Post
I'm not surprised that Fergie didn't get an invitation, in reality, she wasn't close to William or Harry before their mother's death and especially when Diana and Fergie had a falling out. To be fair, Andrew shouldn't really get an invitation since he hasn't been close to either young man, but he's an uncle and a blood relative and there has to be peace in the immediate family.
It's natural that the York girls are invited because they're close in age to William plus both brother's have socialized with their cousins frequently.
How do you know that William and Harry are not close to Andrew? Are you privy to some information that none of us have?

I am a bit confused since there have been reports that Sarah doesn't know if she has been invited? Maybe the tabloids don't want the story to end?
__________________
.

  #198  
Old 02-20-2011, 08:31 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: alpine village, Germany
Posts: 1,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The royal correspondent for one of the TV channels here this morning said that William hasn't spoken to Fergie since 1995 and that it was his decision not to invite her. Seems as if William does hold his mother's grudges well, in some cases and not others. The sad thing is that I think Diana and Sarah would have reconciled in time but Sarah is not going to be reconciled with the Wales' boys.
The distaste that William has for the media and his liking of Camilla who has always behaved with the utmost discretion in public plus the way he and Catherine behave on protecting their private sphere might give an inkling just about why William does not like Fergie.

I guess William adored his beautiful mother and then came Fergie and told details of her relationship with Diana, showing that his mother was a godess with clay feet including warts.... For a young boy this must be very, very annoying, because I can imagine how he was asked about it in school, the other boys saying: Well, your aunt said so and she must know....

And then followed a series of other public appearances and scandals. No wonder William never warmed to this ex-aunt again. Just my 2 Cents, of course.
  #199  
Old 02-20-2011, 10:03 AM
rominet09's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: LIEGE, Belgium
Posts: 3,363
"Show a little generosity of spirit?" they showed it endlessly for years for her to always herself down !
  #200  
Old 02-21-2011, 01:18 AM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 10,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
The distaste that William has for the media and his liking of Camilla who has always behaved with the utmost discretion in public plus the way he and Catherine behave on protecting their private sphere might give an inkling just about why William does not like Fergie.

I guess William adored his beautiful mother and then came Fergie and told details of her relationship with Diana, showing that his mother was a godess with clay feet including warts.... For a young boy this must be very, very annoying, because I can imagine how he was asked about it in school, the other boys saying: Well, your aunt said so and she must know....

And then followed a series of other public appearances and scandals. No wonder William never warmed to this ex-aunt again. Just my 2 Cents, of course.

The reason, according to this reporter, was that Sarah had made a comment about 'celebrities raising money for charity to boost their own status as being less than honest' and that Diana took that to be a criticism of her - that Sarah claimed at the time was not the case - but Diana refused to believe her and so ended their friendship.

I notice though that whatever the reason the boys don't stick by all their mother's grudges as they do/did have relationships with her late mother and brother, with whom Diana was also on the outer when she died so they are rather selective in holding her grudges.
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sarah, Duchess of York Current Events 18: January 2014 Zonk The Duke of York, Sarah Duchess of York, and Family 864 Today 04:35 AM
Sarah, Duchess of York Current Events 1: January 2003-September 2004 Jacqueline Current Events Archive 170 09-23-2004 04:30 PM




Popular Tags
ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit catherine middleton style coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events duchess of cambridge e-mail fashion poll grand duke jean greece kate middleton king abdullah ii king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander member introduction monarchy new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week prince bernhard prince charles princess beatrice hats princess madeleine princess marie princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia cocktail dresses queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathilde in jordan queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania royal fashion royal wedding september 2016 state visit state visit to denmark succession sweden swedish royal family summer portraits 2016 the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats time travel


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:44 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises