Sarah, Duchess of York Current Events 15: October 2009-December 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry but I still fail to see that she has nice legs. Maybe just looking at her face is enough for me...

She looks weary... and she has aged.

She has most definitely aged over the past couple years. What I am wondering is if she even bothers to put makeup on at all? From the recent pictures at Harry's, it looks like she has little to no makeup on at all.

Sarah looks aged because of all the trouble she's caused herself and others.
I'm sure someone else paid her way at Harry's.;) It was rumored this past summer that Beatrice's boyfriend, Dave, chipped in to help Sarah with her credit card debt. Don't know if that's true.

Lately it seems that she wears make-up if she's at a definite event rather than when she's out-and-about. I think that she was wearing less makeup after a few years in royal circles than she did after she was first married.

She has most definitely aged over the past couple years. What I am wondering is if she even bothers to put makeup on at all? From the recent pictures at Harry's, it looks like she has little to no makeup on at all.

It is a shame that she is wearing less make-up now. She needs it more now that she is older, then when she was young and more vibrant. Just not too much! :)

Yes, I agree. The bright lights from the photographers' flashes probably make her look even paler than she natural is, and so make-up's needed to make up for that.

It is a shame that she is wearing less make-up now. She needs it more now that she is older, then when she was young and more vibrant. Just not too much! :)

A spokesman said flights, transfers and hotels were paid for by Oprah's station.

Hm...you know, Oprah claims to be Sarah's "friend". A friend doesn't keep enabling someone's behaviour that got her into trouble in the first place...
and I don't think she's doing Sarah any long-term favours with this "documentary" either.

I'll stop there, since I don't have a high opinion of Oprah to begin with.

Good grief!! Why doesn't this woman slap on some makeup? She looks dreadful as always. :argh::frazzled:

My first thought as well, Duchessmary! And those cheap gold flowers don't help either. What a mess...

I'll stop there, since I don't have a high opinion of Oprah to begin with.
I do despite our political differences, she came from nothing and totally made something of herself and she gives back. She's living the American Dream.
Now Sarah. . . *sigh* Russo agrees with Duchessmary and udy, on the looks yikes.
Now we shall see if Sarah will make some lemonade out of the lemons she gave herself with this whole debacle.

I think Sarah's problems over the years stem from the fact that when she married into the BRF, her identity became "The Duchess of York", the Queen's daughter in law; I don't think she had much of a sense of self/identity before. When she legally separated from and then divorced Prince Andrew, I think she somehow thought this would allow her to keep all the perks and privileges of being a member of the BRF, without all the disadvantages; she could date whom she liked, and could live her life and earn money how she pleased. She has spent most of the last 20 years desperately trying to hold on to being "The Duchess of York", member of the BRF, in part to earn a living but also beause this is her identity; to her, this is who she is.

I think you are spot on Murphy's Mom. Her theory was she could have the best of both worlds, her reality is that she has found herself in limbo land, always linked and connected to the BRF and expected to behave accordingly, but of course as far as the BRF are concerned you are either in or your out, and she is very much out.
Having said all that Sarah made her bed, and she has to lie on it.
When she married Andrew I think she found the love, security and family that she craved, and then when things weren't going to plan she completely went off the rails. I also think that when she divorced she didn't realise how much she would still continue to need Andrew's emotional support and friendship (and no more so that in the past few months).
I think she now knows what she threw away.

Last edited:
I think Sarah's problems over the years stem from the fact that when she married into the BRF, her identity became "The Duchess of York", the Queen's daughter in law; I don't think she had much of a sense of self/identity before. When she legally separated from and then divorced Prince Andrew, I think she somehow thought this would allow her to keep all the perks and privileges of being a member of the BRF, without all the disadvantages; she could date whom she liked, and could live her life and earn money how she pleased. She has spent most of the last 20 years desperately trying to hold on to being "The Duchess of York", member of the BRF, in part to earn a living but also beause this is her identity; to her, this is who she is.

I agree and I think this is true of both Sarah and Diana. I can understand it. When you don't have a sense of who you are or what makes you worth something as a person, and then all of the sudden you get a huge amount of praise and attention for being royal, "royal" becomes your identity. I believe most people who become celebrities in their youth experience this. They have the media following them around and portraying them a certain way, and if they don't have a strong sense of identity to begin with, they believe they are whoever the media says they are.

Also, as IrishEyes says, Andrew and Beatrice and Eugenie are Sarah's closest family now, and they are royal. I think most people would find it hard to accept having a lower social status than their own children.

Last edited:
She definately did "throw it all away"; if she had been willing to compromise--not taken as many holidays, spent as much money, tried harder to conform to the expectations of a member of the BRF--as well as working things out with Prince Andrew, she would today be a senior, respected member of the BRF. Instead, look at where she is today. If there is anyone who had it all, and lost it, largely through her own mistakes, it is Sarah.

She definately did "throw it all away"; if she had been willing to compromise--not taken as many holidays, spent as much money, tried harder to conform to the expectations of a member of the BRF--as well as working things out with Prince Andrew, she would today be a senior, respected member of the BRF. Instead, look at where she is today. If there is anyone who had it all, and lost it, largely through her own mistakes, it is Sarah.

Agreed until the part about conforming to the expectations of the BRF. It obviously chafed her and she couldn't deal with the restrictions, which is not a surprise considering how tough that clique is to stay in, which in turn made it impossible to remain married to Andrew as long as he was a member of the BRF.

I seem to remember an interview that Sarah gave about a year after her divorce and she stated that she was relieved that she didn't have to make Royal appearances and outing anymore because she didn't realize how much should would have to, "cut ribbons and dedicate plaques and all that and that was so boring." I can believe that Sarah was bored with the routines of Royal life while at the same time she loved the perks. She found out that to get the perks, you also have to work for them.
I also agree with the comments of everyone before my post. Sarah's problem was, I believe, that she believed the press headlines before her marriage about how she was a breath of fresh air to the RF and would bring a modernization to them, she and Diana were young, fresh faces.
I think Sarah believed that she was popular and the RF would go along with her antics while married to Andrew, but they blew up in her face and soon the press turned against and it was all but over for her. The harder she tried, the worse it was. She had plenty of chances to redeem herself and her image by buckling down and becoming a hard working Royal, but instead she ran around with different men and in the end, totally made a fool of herself. Yes, she blew it and her good life.

They (courtiers, BRF, etc.) could never cure her chronic lateness, however.:D

My first thought as well, Duchessmary! And those cheap gold flowers don't help either. What a mess...

those cheap gold flowers as you call them have obviously been a gift by fans....It is good that Sarah is so natural, she does not look old at all.:) always happy and smiling and times have been so hard lately.:sad:

those cheap gold flowers as you call them have obviously been a gift by fans....It is good that Sarah is so natural, she does not look old at all.:) always happy and smiling and times have been so hard lately.:sad:

Beautiful words, i luv u for this..:winkiss:..My glorious Duchess always wins..I would adore her even in prison..hihi..I'm waiting for her in NY,red carpet for her Highness etc.etc.:D..Kneeling n' bowing to u, Ur Majesty!

Honey, take a look at your avi. Sarah slapped some makeup on in that pic and looked very nice. This one, one would think she would have had the sense to do the same, or put some sun glasses on since yes, times have been hard lately.

i don't need to look at my avi to know that she still looks good without make up. People age, that's no secret and the picture in my avi is more than a decade old as you know.:);)

she doesn't have a responsibility to look her best at all times. .
Russo would argue she has a responsibilityto herself to look her best at all times. (As do all women) Now somebody famous said that once, like Mary Kay of the cosmetics empire, or Helena Rubenstein. I'll need to look. I like that quote.

That picture in fergalicious' avi (which is one of my favourites!) is, I think, from Sarah and Andrew's engagement almost 25 years ago. Sarah does not look the same now even with makeup! (Neither does Andrew, but as a man he doesn't get criticized for the fact that his hair is now thinner and greyer.)

Sarah is not a model or actress who makes a living off her looks; she doesn't have a responsibility to look her best at all times. The people who don't like her, don't like her regardless of whether or not she wears makeup, and the people who like her don't care how she looks. I think Sarah knows that by now.

Honestly maybe I'm biased, but Sarah looks fine to me in that picture--a normal 51 year-old woman without makeup (and not everyone wants to wear makeup at all times). Sarah was never considered beautiful anyway.

Which gold flowers and why have they obviously been a gift?

Beautiful words, i luv u for this..:winkiss:..My glorious Duchess always wins..I would adore her even in prison..hihi..I'm waiting for her in NY,red carpet for her Highness etc.etc.:D..Kneeling n' bowing to u, Ur Majesty!

You'll be waiting a very long time. Sarah will never be Her Majesty. Thank God she married Andrew and not Charles.
I completely disagree with the fact that she always wins, what has she truely ever won?

She won my heart,my love n' devotion forever..Humble servant of her Majesty, the Duchess of York! :wub:

Well your devoting your life to a person who doesn't exist. Due to the fact that Sarah is none of those things.

This just shows how little regard Sarah had for the people who invited her to "cut ribbons and dedicate plaques." The people in organizations that get a royal visit might have been working--often as volunteers--for years and years and look forward to a royal visit as important appreciation of what they've accomplished. For Sarah to complain about visiting these dedicated and hard-working people shows that she wasn't suited for royal work at all. Her statement was patronizing and insulting.

I seem to remember an interview that Sarah gave about a year after her divorce and she stated that she was relieved that she didn't have to make Royal appearances and outing anymore because she didn't realize how much should would have to, "cut ribbons and dedicate plaques and all that and that was so boring."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom