Sarah, Duchess of York Current Events 13: October 2008-February 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
here's something i just wanted to put out there: could it be that the reason she keeps bringing up her inlaws is because that's what people want to know about? "are you and andrew back together?" "will you and andrew ever remarry?" "what is your relationship like with the queen now?" "why weren't you invited to this royal event?" "what about your daughters?" i like sarah well enough and think her charitable work is wonderful however i think that without that royal link, the public could care less what she's doing. and the charities want her for the very fact that she has royal connections...if you can't get a real princess then get the next best thing.

here's something i just wanted to put out there: could it be that the reason she keeps bringing up her inlaws is because that's what people want to know about? "are you and andrew back together?" "will you and andrew ever remarry?" "what is your relationship like with the queen now?" "why weren't you invited to this royal event?" "what about your daughters?" i like sarah well enough and think her charitable work is wonderful however i think that without that royal link, the public could care less what she's doing. and the charities want her for the very fact that she has royal connections...if you can't get a real princess then get the next best thing.

I think that Duchess brings up a very valid point--just look at this board--there is always the discussion brewing somewhere about whether or not Sarah and Andrew will ever reunite. Whether she likes it or not, her identity is wrapped around her former marriage, her title, and her HRH daughters. And, had it not been for those three things, she wouldn't have found success as she did. Now she's using it to promote the orphanages and healthy lifestyles. I know in the past I've been highly critical of Sarah, but her bringing awaresss of the state of these orphanages has really made me respect her much more than I did. However, her clothing choices are still up for discussion......;)

If Sarah didn´t talk about her royal connections no one would know who she was and she would sink into oblivion in a very short time. It is her gravy train and although bringing things to public awareness is good, it is not as good as actually doing something. Doing what she does certainly keeps her in the public awareness category. Warren this is not being catty, this is just saying what I think, she was mentioned in a book that I read recently "The Queen & Di" as someone who loved being in the limelight and having a free lunch. Taking up these charities she manages all this and probably gets paid as well.

I read the Queen and Di as well. The Sarah discussed in that book was mostly a twenty years ago Sarah and was only mentioned in passing.

If anyone has ever taken the time to listen to any of Sarah's interviews, you would notice that if Sarah talks about the royals at all, it is usually briefly and with the greatest respect.

Of course she does, she was brought up near them and has respect for them, that has nothing to do with making a living off her connection to them. She would be plain old Miss Ferguson if she hadn´t had have been married to Andrew and no money could be made from that unless she did some actual physical work or had a university degree or other. Before she married Andrew she lived with Paddy (something) and she is still friends with him, in fact spends holidays or spent holidays at his house so she is a person who must be very agreeable company and people tend to stay in touch with her I am sure she is very nice, but she nearly brought the BRF down by her shennanigans and I blame her for influencing Princess Di as well. She comes over as an extremely nice person but that doesn´t make me think she is wonderful because she seems to be travelling all over the world shouting charity.

What to your mind would be an acceptable way for her to earn her living in a way that wasnt 'making a living off her connections' and in a way that was not embarrassing to her family (including the Royals)?

Interesting question, scooter. I am looking forward to the up coming posts!

Life is about connections. That is what we all have - and we all have connections that are good for us and some that we would rather forget. Her connections are royal - she was around royals before she married Andrew. It would look very strange for her to pretend that she has no connection to the royal family.
Her life is just different from most of us - hence her family and life style has no correspondence to our lives in most peoples mind. However, that does not make it wrong or unacceptable.

I think duchess' last post sums everything up very well. As far as her earning a living, I wonder if it was ever considered by the RF that if they gave her a bigger settlement, Sarah wouldn't have done some of the things she's done to earn money, and could have focused more on her charity work. I know Sarah herself has said that she refused a bigger settlement to maintain a good relationship with the RF, but I have a hard time not taking that with a grain of salt.

Of course she does, she was brought up near them and has respect for them, that has nothing to do with making a living off her connection to them. She would be plain old Miss Ferguson if she hadn´t had have been married to Andrew and no money could be made from that unless she did some actual physical work or had a university degree or other. Before she married Andrew she lived with Paddy (something) and she is still friends with him, in fact spends holidays or spent holidays at his house so she is a person who must be very agreeable company and people tend to stay in touch with her I am sure she is very nice, but she nearly brought the BRF down by her shennanigans and I blame her for influencing Princess Di as well. She comes over as an extremely nice person but that doesn´t make me think she is wonderful because she seems to be travelling all over the world shouting charity.

It took more than Sarah to bring down the royal family. About that time, Princess Anne and Mark Philips divorced in a rather tawdry situation with Philips fathering a child out of wedlock and some of Anne's love letters to Timothy Laurence leaked to the press. Diana had collaborated with the Morton book and her state visit to Korea with Charles was viewed as a disaster. Later they separated.

I actually think that if there had been no problems between Charles and Diana and Anne and Mark Philips, Sarah would have been an embarassment but things would have blown over. Andrew seems very forgiving.

It was a combination oif things that brought down the respect for the Royal Family, not just Sarah.

Thank you for the pictures. Very nicely illustrated cover. Someone need to inform her publisher that she is not THE Duchess of York, just Duchess of York. :bang:

Last edited by a moderator:
What I blame Sarah for is her influence on Diana, who was a young girl just starting out her married life and could be influenced in one way or another by anyone. I keep remembering the scenes of the two of them giggling away doing something silly that I am sure that Diana would never have done if she hadn´t been egged on by Sarah.
A particularly horrible memory is when the two of them were poking a poor young man accompanying the Queen, in the behind, out of sight of the Queen of course, but they didn´t for one moment think what an embarassment this was for the young man in question. This kind of horseplay was fun for Sarah and she managed to get Diana to join in and over all I think she was a very bad influence.
How could she earn a living without using her royal connections? That is an easy one, she couldn´t.

Yes, I think that Sarah did have a definite influence on Diana. It was only after the advent of "Fergie" that Diana started to break out of the Princess mold that she was filling quite well. Then Sarah introduced her to the fortune tellers and so on. :ermm:

In Sarah's defense, though, she was earning a living before Prince Andrew came along; she took a secretarial course, which is how many women started out in the business world. :flowers:

>How could she earn a living without using her royal connections? That is an easy one, she couldn´t.

None of this has to do with the current topic, so let's get back to that please.

Last edited:
Thanks, giov, for the links. I didn't know she was still penning children's books. Is this a new book?

Anyone know, does she write all her books, for children or otherwise, by herself, or does she have help? Also, anyone know how well her latest book is selling? Interesting that this is another example of Sarah exploiting her what by now are rather tenuous connections to the RF--Ruby is going to have tea with the Queen.

Thanks Ice. She did not look bad, except for picture #2, if you forgive those ballerina flats again.
I may have lost track but whatever hapenned to Budgy the helicopter?

I had the pleasure of meeting Sarah in dublin on saturday! She looked great, spoke at length to the hundreds of people who queued to have their copies of her book signed.I have met her quite a few times and i brought pics i had taken of her in 1991 and others of me and her in 2004 when she was in dublin signing copies of a previous book. She thought she looked much slimmer in the 1991 photo..i didnt think so. It was the time she had her hair cut quite short, which wasnt that nice, in my opinion! But all that aside it was great to see her again and she did say that she plans to do more work on this side of the Atlantic, particularly tv work, so we will wait and see!:flowers:

I think that she'd be a very interesting lady to meet, because she's so enthusiastic about things. Very passionate.:)

Pics 1.12.2008

Sarah Ferguson, the Duchess of York attends The Special Dinner
in support of The Warrior Programme, at Obika on December 1,
2008 in London, England.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **
** Pic 5 ** Pic 6 ** Pic 7 **

Thanks, Ice. I think Sarah looks good like this. I especially think this hair style works for her. Those quirky faces remind me of Sarah in her early years as a royal bride.

Thanks, Ice. I think Sarah looks good like this. I especially think this hair style works for her. Those quirky faces remind me of Sarah in her early years as a royal bride.

Unusally, Sarah is looking very nice. Amazing what a new hairstyle and simple and stylish age appropriate clothes (read as: no cleavage!) can achieve

i don't think there's anything wrong with sarah making reference to the RF when she's interviewed. it's not like she goes on adnauseum about them and as someone said she speaks about them with respect. it's funny, when people speak about catherine (and i don't to get this thread off track) one of the biggest pet peeves is that she apparently doesn't do any charity work. now here's someone, with connections to the RF that DOES do charity work and they're still being ridiculed. another good point was made that life is all about connections...i don't think a single one of us can honestly say they've never mentioned a connection, either to get a job, a favor or just in passing.

Not ad nauseum but at every opportunity she gets to mention them, she has to or no one would know who she was.

Absolutely correct as usual, Menarue. But beware. You are treading on thin ice here. :)
Muriel, I have to agree with you totally! My only criticism is the ballerina flats. Totally inappropiate for someone her age with the sophisticated outfit she is wearing.

I've noticed recently whenever I've seen Sarah mentioned in the media either here in the US or in the UK, she is referred to as Sarah Ferguson; no mention of her Duchess of York title.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom