The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 09:05 PM

Well, it doesn't always follow in Labour's case. Harold Wilson was very fond of the Queen and he sought her advice on alot of things he did. Their relationship even survived rumours that Lord Mountbatten was involved in the plot of a military coup against Wilson. He was very friendly and said that he valued her opinions and their weekly audiences hugely. Thatcher was simply in love with the Queen and I'm sure would have gone for absolute monarchy if she could be sure she'd be appointed as PM. I don't think there was a happy medium in the past because the parties were so different but nowadays who knows?

Old 05-29-2007, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
Well, it doesn't always follow in Labour's case. Harold Wilson was very fond of the Queen and he sought her advice on alot of things he did. Their relationship even survived rumours that Lord Mountbatten was involved in the plot of a military coup against Wilson. He was very friendly and said that he valued her opinions and their weekly audiences hugely. Thatcher was simply in love with the Queen and I'm sure would have gone for absolute monarchy if she could be sure she'd be appointed as PM. I don't think there was a happy medium in the past because the parties were so different but nowadays who knows?
I don't mean anything against Lady Thatcher. I'm sorry if it came across that way. I am a lonely liberal in the US at the moment, very upset by the present White House administration, so anything remotely Far Right sounding touches a nerve in me. I think I need to read up on Harold Wilson because he sounds like my kind of guy! I am a liberal but I love the British monarchy and forever seek the 'happy medium'. In all credit due to Lady Thatcher, old age was kind to her, like a fine wine, much better and more savored with age.

More on topic, what about that Yorkshire incident with the axe guy? Did the Queen and Prince Philip go on to do the scheduled walkabout, or did the "incident" cause that plan to be axed? God, what is it with me and the unintentional puns today?

Old 05-29-2007, 09:35 PM

No no, not at all. I know you didn't mean any insult to Lady Thatcher, it's undeniable that she was a raging monarchist. Harold Wilson wasn't exactly a success as PM. He was extremely paranoid and believed that people wanted to kill him, hence why he resigned. He also tried to paint himself as a pipe-smoking man of the people when in fact, he was swilling champagne and rewarding his pals behind the doors of Number 10. He became known for the last Honours List which was alledgedly written by his secretary and mistress, Marcia Williams who he created Baroness Falkender and to this day has never spoken in the Lords. Labour or Tory rarely actually means "I hate the Queen" or "I hate the Queen" respectively. James Callaghan was a monarchist and put on a good Jubilee for the Queen in 1977 even though he was Labour. By the same token, John Major didn't seek the Queen's advice enough. It's an interesting topic.

As to the Yorkshire incident, the Queen and the Duke did do the walkabout as planned. The chap was obviously a publicity seeker and I doubt he'd have actually hurt the Queen.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
Harold Wilson wasn't exactly a success as PM. He was extremely paranoid and believed that people wanted to kill him.
Hmm......sounds familiar? Thank you for the information. I am thoroughly enlightened and fascinated.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:18 PM
Imperial Majesty

I think Beatrixfan is planning a new thread on the topic of the Queen and her Prime Ministers, so this may be a good time to get this thread back on topic.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:56 AM
Imperial Majesty

British man eats dog in royal fox protest

A British artist ate a corgi dog, famous for being Queen Elizabeth II's favourite breed, in protest Tuesday after a group including her husband Prince Philip allegedly killed a fox earlier this year.

British man eats dog in royal fox protest - Yahoo! News

Live on radio! Nutter!
Old 05-30-2007, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
British man eats dog in royal fox protest

A British artist ate a corgi dog, famous for being Queen Elizabeth II's favourite breed, in protest Tuesday after a group including her husband Prince Philip allegedly killed a fox earlier this year.

British man eats dog in royal fox protest - Yahoo! News

Live on radio! Nutter!
That's just insane! People like him call themselves liberals and make the rest of us look nuts. I'm seriously coming to view the fox hunting debate from the Conservative view, however. I think a lot of the pro arguments for it make a lot of sense, and the "liberal" answer regarding fox hunting is often more inhumane, from what I can see.... I think there might be a better solution than fox hunting, but until the liberals come up with one, I'm backing you lot (most of you, I'm gathering are for it) on this one.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:22 AM
Courtier

Cute young 4 year old hope to find Pen-pal guess who: Queen Elizabeth II

Boy's balloon finds pen-pal: the Queen - Yahoo! News UK
Old 05-30-2007, 11:10 AM
Imperial Majesty

He's concerned about cruelty to animals so he's eating a dog? Whatever. Did the dog conveniently die peacefully of old age right before the stunt, or how did he manage to do this without cruelty to an animal being involved?
Old 05-30-2007, 11:32 AM

I know, that man eating dog story was just not the ideal way to kick off a morning! Fortunately, the balloon story balances it out. That is adorable. It's awesome, like a dream. I would be over the moon if I sent a pen pal balloon and got a royal reply! Imagine the odds!
Old 05-30-2007, 01:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio
I don't mean anything against Lady Thatcher. I'm sorry if it came across that way. I am a lonely liberal in the US at the moment, very upset by the present White House administration, so anything remotely Far Right sounding touches a nerve in me. I think I need to read up on Harold Wilson because he sounds like my kind of guy! I am a liberal but I love the British monarchy and forever seek the 'happy medium'. In all credit due to Lady Thatcher, old age was kind to her, like a fine wine, much better and more savored with age.

More on topic, what about that Yorkshire incident with the axe guy? Did the Queen and Prince Philip go on to do the scheduled walkabout, or did the "incident" cause that plan to be axed? God, what is it with me and the unintentional puns today?
Dont feel lonely, I'm one too!
Old 05-31-2007, 08:54 AM
Nobility

The Queen and the Balloon

I just saw on the news that a little boy sent a note on a balloon and the Queen received the balloon. Not only did she answer, but has written to the little boy twice. Has anyone heard about this story . The story was on NBC ,so the story should be up on the site later today. BTW, I just found a link Boy's balloon finds pen-pal in queen - Peculiar Postings - MSNBC.com.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:57 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by msleiman
Not only did she answer, but has written to the little boy twice.
She didn't write herself. But the person who did write the letters does work for the Queen.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:23 AM
Commoner

what a cute story! x
Old 06-01-2007, 01:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Queen Elizabeth II during a garden party at the University of Ulster in Coleraine, Northern Ireland, Friday, June 1, 2007.

Pictures:
Queen Elizabeth and Northern Ireland's First Minister Ian Paisley

Queen Elizabeth
Queen Elizabeth shakes hands with Eileen Paisley, the wife of Dr Ian Paisley
Queen Elizabeth shakes hands with Northern Ireland's First Minister Dr Ian Paisley
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 06-01-2007, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Thanks for the pics from today, Avalon, the Queen and Mr Paisley were both born in April 1926, but the Queen looks much younger

Here's an additional pic of the Queen and Prince Philip arriving at the garden party: The Queen and Prince Philip 1.6.2007
Old 06-02-2007, 05:50 AM
Imperial Majesty

Queen marks coronation at the Derby

The Queen attends the Epsom Derby today on the 54th anniversary of her coronation
Accompanied by the Duke of Edinburgh, the monarch will watch the racing at the Epsom Downs track in Surrey.

Queen marks coronation at the Derby | Uk News | News | Telegraph
Old 06-02-2007, 01:51 PM
Heir Apparent

anp

ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
Old 06-02-2007, 05:45 PM
Majesty
TRF Author

Thanks for the pics. I saw the Queen today at Epsom - she & Prince Philip were driven up the race track in a car before they went into the Royal Box. She looked GREAT in her blue coat and the blue hat with a pink ribbon.
They are both amazing - they seem so young and energetic despite their age!
Old 06-06-2007, 09:34 AM
Courtier

Has anyone seen any pictures of the Concert at Buckingham Palace in honour of the RNIB - it was held on 4 June, but all I can find is about Rod Stuart attending!!

Tags
duke of edinburgh, elizabeth ii, prince philip, queen elizabeth ii