The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 03:57 AM
Administrator

Joye, you had inserted your reply within the quote, that's why the automatic forums statement
told you that the message itself was too short to get posted. I've allowed myself to fix the problem
before replying

As to pics of that event, I'm sorry, I've tried but couldn't find any either..

Yesterday, November 21, the Queen received the President of Columbia, Juan Manuel Santos and
his wife Maria for a private audience at Buckingham Palace.

** Pic ** zimbio gallery **

Old 11-22-2011, 07:37 PM
Nobility

Many thankyous Iceflower.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:37 AM
Administrator

You're welcome, joye!

Today, November 23, the Duke of Edinburgh was inaugurated as Lord High Admiral at the
Admiralty Board and Admiralty House in London. Queen Elizabeth was present as well.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** gettyimages/daylife **
Old 11-23-2011, 12:32 PM
Administrator in Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post
The Duke of Edinburgh has been in Germany today! He visited British troops atthe St. Barbara Kaserne in Bad Fallingbostel
Duke of Edinburgh dons Army fatigues as he honours servicemen returning from Afghanistan | Mail Online

Still an Action Man at 90: Duke of Edinburgh dons Army fatigues as he honours servicemen returning from Afghanistan

Dressed in combat uniform, Prince Philip looked as active as ever as the guest of honour at a medal parade in Fallinbostel, Germany. The 90-year-old Prince was there to honour soldiers of the 2 Close Support Battalion REME (Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers). The Prince was there to award 150 soldiers for their deployment in the ongoing campaign in Afghanistan.

This engagement follows the Prince's visit last Thursday to Barnstaple where thousands packed the streets to watch the Chivenor troops homecoming parade. Prince Philip took the salute of the men and women from the Commando Logistic Regiment as they marched past a dais on the Strand in a procession to celebrate their safe return from Afghanistan.

Despite his age Prince Philip remains an active champion of more than 800 charities and organisations and continues to undertake around 350 engagements every year. He is the only public figure in Britain who saw active service in World War II (he was mentioned in despatches at the 1941 Battle of Matapan) and is active in public life today.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:34 PM
Heir Apparent

^^^^
For man who claims he wants to slow down there doesn't seem to be much evidence that he is doing so.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:40 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
^^^^
For man who claims he wants to slow down there doesn't seem to be much evidence that he is doing so.
Besides the state visits and the remembrance Day events, Philip has done 6 engagements this month. I think he's slowing down gently.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:29 PM
Courtier

Does anyone know exactly how you are inaugurated as Lord High Admiral? For example, did the Duke of Edinburgh take an oath/recieve some sort of insignia of office etc.?
Old 11-23-2011, 10:30 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalistRiley View Post
Does anyone know exactly how you are inaugurated as Lord High Admiral? For example, did the Duke of Edinburgh take an oath/recieve some sort of insignia of office etc.?
That's what I was wondering myself earlier today too. I don't think he get any kind of insignia, as I did some googling and couldn't find anything. Also I believe Lord High Admiral is an office rather than a rank, so he that may be why he may not get any insignia (I think only rank get you insignia?)

Would be interested in finding out what happened, but I suspected it may be just a simple "Now you're in charge!", if only symbolically and a round of toasts.

Anyone else know what happened?
Old 11-23-2011, 10:40 PM
Heir Apparent

The only thing I know that comes with the position is the flag of the Lord High Admiral which used to fly on Britannia when the Queen was on board since she held the position before giving it to Philip. Unlikely to be seen anytime soon since there is no royal yacht anymore but I suppose if Philip is on board a Royal Navy vessel at some time they will hoist it. Perhaps there will be a sail past of naval vessels during Jubilee year.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:25 AM
Administrator

Queen Elizabeth has received His Excellency Mr Gordon Campbell (with wife) on his appointment
as High Commissioner for Canada at Buckingham Palace in London, November 24, 2011.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **
Old 11-25-2011, 03:15 AM
Courtier

Thank you Iceflower. This is a lovely shade of green on HM. The colour does suit her.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:43 AM
Nobility

I somewhere read about The Queen in one of the pictures of the inauguration of Prince Philip as Lord High Admiral that "she showed us a certain face to hide some emotions behind it". I am pretty sure she felt some deep emotions during the Inauguration. Time has not stopped them, but I am sure they feel blessed to be able to go together after 64 years, which is not given to everyone. The Navy is something they both felt comfortable with, and I am sure The Queen feels emotions on those occasions. As a lot of older people, they must feel the age and I am so sure that The Queen reflects regularly what has passed and what has happened throughout the years.

The years between the marriage and the Accession were always in connection with the Navy and Malta, and that was the time that she felt so at ease. Perhaps that were reflections as well during that ceremony, but I am sure she wanted to honour Philip as that loyal compagnon, husband, sailor and gentleman. What a nice gesture to give him that honour on the occasion of his 90th birthday. Is there a wife a husband can love more than Elizabeth? I don't think so. Bless her!
Old 11-28-2011, 12:47 AM
Majesty

Her Majesty will start off her Diamond Jubilee by hosting a reception for the press at Buckingham Palace later this evening.

The Press Association: Queen hosting journalists at Palace

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:32 AM
Administrator

Please note that if the The Queen and Prince Phillip attend this event with other members of the Royal Family, all posts and discussion should be in http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f23/british-royal-family-current-events-5-july-2011-a-31428-6.html .

Thanks!

Zonk
British Forums Moderator

Old 11-30-2011, 09:05 AM
Administrator

Queen Elizabeth received Austrian President Heinz Fischer with wife Margit Binder during an audience and
decorated British singer Bryan Ferry and British cyclist and world road race champion Mark Cavendish during
an Investiture ceremony at Buckingham Palace on November 30, 2011.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** daylife gallery **

** dailymail: A real family affair: Bryan Ferry joined by his four sons as he accepts his CBE at Buckingham Palace **
Old 12-01-2011, 06:43 AM
Administrator

The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh are in Liverpol today, December 1st, to open the Museum
of Liverpool and to visit Royal Liver Building. The'll also visit the Floral Pavilion at the Marine
Promenade, New Brighton, Wirral.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** gettyimages/daylife gallery **
Old 12-01-2011, 11:47 AM
Heir Presumptive

The Queen looks wonderful in red
Old 12-01-2011, 12:50 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by julliette View Post
The Queen looks wonderful in red
Indeed she does! I love her smile in the third picture.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:50 PM
Majesty

I love pictures of Her Majesty surrounded by children. Here she's with some children in Liverpool.

The Queen meets local children during a visit to the Floral Pavillion, New Brighton | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Old 12-02-2011, 08:05 AM
Commoner

I'm with you, Daria. She always looks so delighted and sincere. I'm sure she gives the children lucky enough to meet her a memory they will carry always.

She is the consummate royal. Able to equally show respect-inspiring grace and dignity at state occasions and sincere joy and delight in situations such as the one in your linked picture.

When we are unsure of how to behave, we should ask ourselves "WWHMD"- What would Her Majesty do? We would never go wrong!

Closed Thread