The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 02:17 PM
Heir Apparent

As far as I know, the POW and the PR are qualified to bestow higher level honors as well. Mainly it depends on schedule.

Old 05-06-2011, 02:40 PM
Serene Highness

I like the Queen's sturdy pumps with that green dress. Anyone know what size foot she has? I never noticed how small her feet look - and I was thinking about how much time she spends on them.

Old 05-06-2011, 03:18 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal_Eagle View Post
I'm curious about those investiture ceremonies. I know that in addition to the Queen, the Prince of Wales and maybe the Princess Royal do investiture ceremonies. But what I'm curious is whether the level of honor being presented is related to who is doing the presentation? In other words, does the Queen usually is the only one giving the higher honors, while the others give out lower-level honors? Or are they all about the same and it's only a matter of whose turn it is to do the ceremonies, schedule, etc?
Not at all - the Honour is the same whoever gives it as they confer the honour on behalf of and in the name of, the Queen.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:07 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post
I like the Queen's sturdy pumps with that green dress. Anyone know what size foot she has? I never noticed how small her feet look - and I was thinking about how much time she spends on them.
Don't know 100% for certain but looking around at BRF wedding dresses and such one place had a picture of the shoes HM wore with her wedding gown and it stated they were a size 5. I can remember think what tiny feet she has.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:34 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillW View Post
Not at all - the Honour is the same whoever gives it as they confer the honour on behalf of and in the name of, the Queen.
I think that's right

Queen Elizabeth had another engagement today, May 6, that wasn't listed in the official calendar,
she visited St George's School in Windsor, toured the school and watched a ballet demonstration
from the school's summer show. And that in a wonderful fresh outfit with a lovely hat:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** gettyimages/zimbio gallery ** gallery **
Old 05-06-2011, 05:36 PM
Heir Apparent

I do hope the color is that represented in Photo #1. HM and her dressmaker and hatmaker have certainly lifted the bar on her ensembles. Love 'em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arncliffe View Post
In the Newmarket photos HM looks like Errol Flynn playing Robin Hood.
I don't remember Erroll wearing that color! LOL
Old 05-06-2011, 06:17 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post
I think that's right

Queen Elizabeth had another engagement today, May 6, that wasn't listed in the official calendar,
she visited St George's School in Windsor, toured the school and watched a ballet demonstration
from the school's summer show. And that in a wonderful fresh outfit with a lovely hat:

I like how the detail in the hat is subtly reflected in the brooch.

I don't suppose anyone knows what kinds of handbags HM carries with her? She has a very nice structured one in that first picture.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:24 PM
Nobility

Thanks for everything you do Ice. Those last pictures of Queen Elizabeth are a joy to look at. Her smile and the gleam in her eyes is priceless. I love how she chooses her wardrobe. Always fascinating.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:14 PM
Gentry

Her Majesty carries Launer handbags and has fir years though I would not be surprised if she does have some other bags as well.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:36 PM
Courtier

Quote:
There are very limited tickets available for the seats in Horseguards Parade each year for the royal ceremony known popularly as Trooping the Colour. People can apply for tickets (well in advance) but it's is not easy to get them. On the other hand, some organisations and groups have a small allocation (maybe 4 or 6) which it is in their power to use. I've been very lucky to be invited by one such group, through my work, to enjoy the event with my husband, this year. It is, I don't doubt, the only chance I will ever have to be there in person, for an event I have watched on TV for more years than I care to think and which at one time, for a few years, I visited to stand and wait for about 7 hours in the Mall, to witness just the ride-past & later the fly-past.
Thank you for the explanation, I appreciate it. Congratulations!!
Old 05-07-2011, 12:14 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I think that's right

Love the Queen's outfit. She looks wonderfully happy! Isn't this the school Lady Louise goes to?
Old 05-08-2011, 02:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
And that in a wonderful fresh outfit with a lovely hat:

Indeed! HM Is Pretty in Pink Ice! ThankS!
Old 05-08-2011, 04:15 PM
Commoner

Her majesty's wardrobe choices are wonderful, loved her look at the wedding, Her designer certainly knows what she's doing.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:40 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Deborah View Post
Her Majesty carries Launer handbags and has fir years though I would not be surprised if she does have some other bags as well.
Oooh, thanks! The Launer handbags definitely match the one in the picture that I was looking at. Sadly, it's a bit out of my price range.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:09 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by udyusa View Post
Dear Gill, you are not lucky, but rather you deserve the honor. You have worked hard to finally get the reward you deserve. Congratulations!

Just to clarify, if you are not allocated tickets in the way Gill has been, tickets for Trooping the Colour are available in a draw [lottery] and I think the maximum is two; more tickets are available for the two rehearsals, maximum of 4 I think.

Different arrangements apply for Foreign Nationals - who can make an application to their Ambassador or High Commissioner. I can give anyone who is interested more details.

By the way, I am off to the Ceremony too - one of my favourite Royal Events of the year. Whilst it is wonderful to be at Horseguards, lining the Mall is also an excellent way to see the Carriages and the Bands; if you make your way to Buckingham Palace, you can see the Royals appear on the Balcony and watch the Fly-Past. IF you stand in St James's Park ou can also see some of the Ceremony even if you do not have a ticket; actually, you get a very good view of the assmebling Life Guards and the Blues and Royals.

Gill - do get there as early as you can - Security searches take for ever. I hope to see you there. I am in the stand just in front of the Dais. Since umbrellas are forbidden, a waterproof mac is a good idea as well....

Have fun,

Alex
Old 05-08-2011, 05:23 PM
Courtier

Quote:

Just to confirm: Investitures used to be held solely by the Queen, but she now shares the burden with the Prince of Wales and sometimes the Princess Royal. This is for two reasons: First, the Queen is s-l-o-w-l-y cutting down on some of her programme; she now tends to depart for Windsor on Thursdays and returns to London on Mondays or sometimes even Tuesdays.... Secondly, the list of people awarded honours is increasing, but the ceremony takes an hour or so, not more, and so additonal invesitures have to be held. And as people have said above, the validity of the award is not affected by the status of whoever is presiding.

By the way, it is one of the Queen's favourite 'more private' events coming up this week: The Royal Windsor Horse Show. I am attending on all 5 days. I wonder if Catherine will turn up very briefly at one point......
Old 05-08-2011, 07:49 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diarist View Post
Different arrangements apply for Foreign Nationals - who can make an application to their Ambassador or High Commissioner. I can give anyone who is interested more details.
Foreign nationals are able to apply directly to the Household Division HQ, too (I did, successfully).
Old 05-08-2011, 07:56 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diarist
The Royal Windsor Horse Show...I wonder if Catherine will turn up very briefly at one point......
I highly doubt it unless Prince William goes too. Catherine is reportedly allergic to horses anyway. I wouldn't hold my breath, but maybe she'll surprise us. :)
Old 05-09-2011, 04:41 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post
Foreign nationals are able to apply directly to the Household Division HQ, too (I did, successfully).

Sorry, what I was trying to say is that Foreign Nationals in effect get a 'Second bite of the cherry' so if they are unsuccessful in the ballot, if they also get an application in to their Ambassador/ High Commissioner hopefully they will be successful in this respect...
Alex
Old 05-09-2011, 04:45 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal_Eagle View Post
I highly doubt it unless Prince William goes too. Catherine is reportedly allergic to horses anyway. I wouldn't hold my breath, but maybe she'll surprise us. :)
Well, I have seen Catherine at the Polo on a good few occasions, so here's hoping.... I will have my camera at the ready for any Royals I see, so hopefully I will have something to share with my fellow forum members here.....

Alex

Closed Thread