The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 03:38 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
She probably kept the George IV circlet on for the whole ceremony rather than exchanging it for the Imperial State Crown, which is what she wears these days.
That's right.

Old 08-29-2005, 04:06 PM
Aristocracy

I think the main reason HM comes off as cold is because she is shy and reserved. But as we know she has a wonderful sense of humor. Shyness does run in the family. (ie. her father was extremely shy) As for Prince Philip, he is like many men from his generation. My grandfather has made rude comments maybe not as many Prince Philip but then he is not in the public eye. I think in a book I read that Prince Philip was said to be shy too.

I love the picture of HM and Princess beatrice at Balmoral. Are there anymore?

Old 08-29-2005, 07:01 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CATS
I think the main reason HM comes off as cold is because she is shy and reserved. But as we know she has a wonderful sense of humor. Shyness does run in the family. (ie. her father was extremely shy) As for Prince Philip, he is like many men from his generation. My grandfather has made rude comments maybe not as many Prince Philip but then he is not in the public eye. I think in a book I read that Prince Philip was said to be shy too.

I love the picture of HM and Princess beatrice at Balmoral. Are there anymore?

I can't remember very well now, but I read somewhere that some shy people talk a lot. It could be Philip's case.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:20 AM
Heir Presumptive

http://www.newstatesman.com/200508290039

The edge - Amanda Platell reprimands the Queen
Old 08-30-2005, 11:43 AM
Aristocracy

Interesting article rchainho. I agree with what Amanda Platell has to say. There's a certain dignity etc... that the queen brings to every event that Charles can't. But I think that a great reason why any big event in which only charles is present seems second rate is becauase the queen has reigned so long.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:50 AM
Courtier

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchainho

"Reprimands the Queen"? Why? It's not her fault!
I don't like this article. The autor seems also to blame Charles because he attended VJ celebrations. But it's only Governement's fault. They decided for a big celebration on 10 July, which disapponted both VE and VJ veterans. Two events on the appropriate days, with the Queen and the ministers, would have been the right solution.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:32 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchainho

Looks like Amanda's not really reprimanding the Queen - she's using the occasion as an excuse to bash Charles. I think for the veterans it was a non-issue.

And her sympathy for the slighted veterans seems a little hollow and fake. She's using them for her own agenda. Pretty crass since these men did perform a great service to their country and don't really need their event to be used by a reporter for her own beefs.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:51 PM
Imperial Majesty

Well, obviously while the Queen is still alive, Charles isn't going to be the most important member of the royal family, however much the Queen tries to give him prominent things to do. If Tony Blair didn't want to come and do the honours and help make it a state occasion, it's hardly Charles's fault. As far as medals are concerned, I don't think the Queen saw active service in the war apart from a few months in the ATS, when she was living at Windsor and was chauffeured to the ATS camp every day, but people didn't complain when she showed up at the Trooping the Colour ceremony with a chest full of medals. If they wanted someone whose medals meant something, perhaps they could have sent Prince Philip, but no doubt Amanda Platell would then be complaining that the Queen thought so little of the event that she couldn't send herself or her heir. You just can't do it right for some people.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:03 PM
Courtier

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
Well, obviously while the Queen is still alive, Charles isn't going to be the most important member of the royal family, however much the Queen tries to give him prominent things to do. If Tony Blair didn't want to come and do the honours and help make it a state occasion, it's hardly Charles's fault. As far as medals are concerned, I don't think the Queen saw active service in the war apart from a few months in the ATS, when she was living at Windsor and was chauffeured to the ATS camp every day, but people didn't complain when she showed up at the Trooping the Colour ceremony with a chest full of medals. If they wanted someone whose medals meant something, perhaps they could have sent Prince Philip, but no doubt Amanda Platell would then be complaining that the Queen thought so little of the event that she couldn't send herself or her heir. You just can't do it right for some people.
But Philip was attending a VJ celebration in Aberdeen on the same day (and both ceremonies took place in the afternoon). We all know how good he is, but being in both Aberdeen and London at the same time is really beyond his ability.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:12 PM
Imperial Majesty

Well, they'll just have to clone him, then. Wouldn't want to upset Amanda Platell, after all.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:26 PM
Courtier

lol!

Old 08-31-2005, 09:44 AM
Heir Presumptive

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1770

Queen lends £750,000 jewel to Exeter

13:18pm 30th August 2005

Classy condiments: The Queen's £750,000 salt container

The Queen has allowed one of the Crown Jewels on display in the Tower of London to be loaned to the city that presented it to King Charles II in 1660.
The Exeter Salt, a priceless 18in high jewel-encrusted salt container, will form the centrepiece of an exhibition in Exeter, Devon.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

I'm going to be in Devon while it's on display there; I must see if I have time to go and have a look at it.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:39 PM
Courtier

Queen 'shocked' by US Hurricane...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4200246.stm
Old 08-31-2005, 06:03 PM
Nobility

Bravo to the Queen for her show of empathy on this occasion. I have to say, I'm becoming more of a monarchist every day after seeing the surprisingly warm reactions of the British royal family to tragedies like the London bombings and this terrible, terrible hurricane.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:04 AM
Heir Apparent

Queen's shock at disaster
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2005400598,00.html
Old 09-02-2005, 04:42 AM
Serene Highness

EU drivels (sorry, no other word)

Brussels wants immigrants to swear allegiance to EU
By Anthony Browne, Brussels Correspondent
IMMIGRANTS to Britain will have to swear an oath of allegiance to EU laws and the European Charter of Fundamental Rights, rather than the Queen, under a proposal announced by Brussels. The European Commission also announced measures to counter illegal immigration across Europe and others to promote integration of legal immigrants. NI_MPU('middle');Franco Frattini, the European Commissioner for justice and security, proposed an “oath of faithfulness” requiring all immigrants to the EU to swear allegiance to the union. He said: “One can get every immigrant to somehow declare they will respect national law, EU law and the Charter of Fundamental Rights.”

Full Article

Old 09-02-2005, 05:01 AM
Courtier

As an Italian citizen (Italy is in the UE) I'm disgusted. I think they're are trying to create a kind of United States of Europe.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:08 PM
Imperial Majesty

I'll bet Tony Blair will be in full support. Anything to undermine the monarchy seems just fine with him.

Although why immigrants can't swear allegiance to their new country as well as to the EU is, I suppose, just one of those cosmic mysteries.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:05 PM
Courtier

ic CheshireOnline

Prince is beaten by mum-of-two
Sep 2 2005
By Selena O'Donnell, Chester Chronicle

TRIUMPHING over royalty is something few people manage in a lifetime but it's becoming a habit for one sportswoman.

Ursula Hirschberg, a mum-of-two of Little Budworth has competed against Prince Phillip in horse driving trials across the country and has come out on top more than once. ... http://iccheshireonline.icnetwork.co...name_page.html

Tags
duke of edinburgh, elizabeth ii, prince philip, queen elizabeth ii