The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 07:15 AM
Courtier

VJ celebrations

BBC News

Veterans mark wartime anniversary

World War II veterans in Scotland have taken part in events marking the 60th anniversary of the end of the conflict.
The Duke of Edinburgh joined hundreds of war veterans for a service of remembrance at St Margaret's Episcopal Church in Aberdeen. ... http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4171500.stm

Old 08-22-2005, 10:41 AM
Heir Apparent

QUEEN'S BORE-ING FOLLOWERS
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/tm_obje...name_page.html

Old 08-23-2005, 06:58 AM
Heir Apparent

The visit of the Queen to Bexley has been for nearly a month but those pics have nt been posted at the event's time.
They are from Royal Insight:
1.The Queen is greeted by crowds in Bexley town centre
2.The Queen attends a civic lunch at Danson House to celebrate Bexley Council's 40th anniversary.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Insight_aug05_oa_bex2_large.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	184017   Click image for larger version

Name:	Insight_aug05_oa_bex5_large.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	187.8 KB
ID:	184018  
God save Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Old 08-23-2005, 02:24 PM
Courtier

She looks happy and relaxed. :)
Old 08-24-2005, 06:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Queen Elizabeth II will receive to President of Chile in Buckingham

Meetings with the highest British authorities will include the work visit that will make the 11 of October President Ricardo Lagos to London, where will receive Queen Elizabeth II. The appointment, of deprived character, will take place in the Buckingham Palace, where also it received to agent chief executives Patricio Aylwin and Eduardo Frei Ruiz-Tagle. Also, Lagos will maintain an encounter with prime minister, Tony Blair, in the governmental seat of Downing Street. The Chilean President has predicted to send a book in English, with a selection of his speeches, a prologue of the own Blair.

These activities, not considered originally in the international agenda that handled the Currency at the beginning of year, were managed makes a pair of weeks by the ambassador in England, Mariano Fernandez, who now sharpens in Chile the details of the visit. Trip to London adds to encounter which it will make specific Lagos in Madrid with King Juan Carlos, who invited the Chilean Chief of State to be present in the Spanish military parade of the 12 of October.

http://www.tercera.cl/medio/articulo...786388,00.html
Old 08-26-2005, 05:17 AM
Serene Highness

1975 Japanese files released

From Japan Today

Japanese royalists feared Queen Elizabeth's human approach

Friday, August 26, 2005 at 13:23 JST
LONDON — Japanese officials tried to tone down Queen Elizabeth II's visit to Japan in 1975 because they feared unfavorable comparisons would be made with its own royal family, which many people felt operated in a staid fashion, documents released to Kyodo News under freedom of information laws show.

Foreign Office files reveal that initially the Imperial Household Agency wanted the queen's itinerary to follow the "slow, formal and secluded movements of the Emperor's (Hirohito) own life," according to a dispatch from British Ambassador Fred Warner. But British pressure resulted in the finalized program including plenty of events where the queen was able to interact with members of the public in a more informal atmosphere.

Old 08-26-2005, 02:09 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idriel
From Japan Today

LONDON — Japanese officials tried to tone down Queen Elizabeth II's visit to Japan in 1975 because they feared unfavorable comparisons would be made with its own royal family, which many people felt operated in a staid fashion, documents released to Kyodo News under freedom of information laws show.

Foreign Office files reveal that initially the Imperial Household Agency wanted the queen's itinerary to follow the "slow, formal and secluded movements of the Emperor's (Hirohito) own life," according to a dispatch from British Ambassador Fred Warner. But British pressure resulted in the finalized program including plenty of events where the queen was able to interact with members of the public in a more informal atmosphere.

Very interesting.
Old 08-27-2005, 04:11 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElisaR
Very interesting.

Why am I not surprised?? And why are they shocked the backlash the IHA is getting now for the way the treat Poor Masako and Aiko??? The IHA makes "the Grey Men" look like swingers!!!! That is really sad!!!
Old 08-27-2005, 03:30 PM
Serene Highness

Aug. 11 2005 The Queen & Princess Beatrice watch the MacCulloch Dancers (of Ontario, Canada) perform at Balmoral.

Photo: James MacCulloch, Ottawa Citizen
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2005 08 11.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	186135  
Old 08-27-2005, 03:30 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
From Japan Today

Well that's a SURPRISE!!!
Queen Elizabeth during the seventies considered HUMAN!!!
But maybe because that was pre-Diana and nobody recongized yet how royals being human was REALLY like.
Queen Elizabeth like Charles and Anne especially have always been criticized for being not very approachable and too professional rather than earthy.
The Japanese royals must be really COLD and INHUMAN if Queen Elizabeth is considered WARM by comparison!!!
Old 08-27-2005, 03:40 PM
Administrator

In their defence...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicomtesse
Well that's a SURPRISE! Queen Elizabeth during the seventies considered HUMAN!...The Japanese royals must be really COLD and INHUMAN if Queen Elizabeth is considered WARM by comparison!
I think it is unfair to blame the Japanese Imperial Family; it is the Imperial Household Agency which seems to make all the decisions. The family seemed powerless to protect Princess Masako from the ravages of the IHA.

Queen Elizabeth may appear "cold" and "inhuman" but I would suggest the woman behind the royal facade is quite the opposite; those who have met her have been charmed, and surprised by her sense of humour. I may be wrong but I don't recall Diana ever having said anything negative about The Queen.
Old 08-27-2005, 03:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
I think it is unfair to blame the Japanese Imperial Family; it is the Imperial Household Agency which seems to make all the decisions. The family seemed powerless to protect Princess Masako from the ravages of the IHA.

Queen Elizabeth may appear "cold" and "inhuman" but I would suggest the woman behind the royal facade is quite the opposite; those who have met her have been charmed, and surprised by her sense of humour. I may be wrong but I don't recall Diana ever having said anything negative about The Queen.
i would agree with you! i dont think Britsh Royal Family would blame to Japan Royal Family for more reasons!

Sara Boyce
Old 08-28-2005, 12:26 AM
Heir Apparent

how nice of HM Queen brings her grandchildren to watch MacCulloch Dancers

Sara Boyce
Old 08-28-2005, 11:07 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
I personaly find E II a very nice and warm woman. Not the way of Ex-Queen Anne-Marie of Greece, but warm in her own way. And her sense of humour (particularly in private) is well documented :) .
I don't think Diana said something bad about the Queen neither, outside her disappointment when the Queen basically told her to accept the Charles-Camz situation. But it was very obvious she had a huge respect for the Queen, IMO.

Old 08-28-2005, 11:33 AM
Courtier

Nice picture. :)

Quote:
I personaly find E II a very nice and warm woman. Not the way of Ex-Queen Anne-Marie of Greece, but warm in her own way. And her sense of humour (particularly in private) is well documented :) .
I agree. :)
Old 08-29-2005, 08:45 AM
Serene Highness

Stunning pic of EII

I just found this terrific pic of EII. Don't know if it has been posted already but I will share anyway.
If anyone has the colour version, I would be very grateful :) .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	usequeen2.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	186962  

Old 08-29-2005, 12:42 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I just found this terrific pic of EII. Don't know if it has been posted already but I will share anyway.
Yes, a great picture. I would like to see a coloured version too.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:47 PM
Courtier

Quote:
She is at Opening of Parliament in 1952. Yes, it's a great picture.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:30 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElisaR
She is at Opening of Parliament in 1952. Yes, it's a great picture.
Was the Queen wearing a tiara at the State Opening of Parliament in 1952? She hadn't been crowned yet.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:42 PM
Imperial Majesty

She probably kept the George IV circlet on for the whole ceremony rather than exchanging it for the Imperial State Crown, which is what she wears these days.

Tags
duke of edinburgh, elizabeth ii, prince philip, queen elizabeth ii