Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 7: July-September 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
oh and technically the Governor General is Canada's Head of State.

Ah! That is so cool!!! :) Is she married?

yes thats her husband in the picture. His name is Jean-Daniel Lafond, born in France. His bio is also at this link:
http://www.pm.gc.ca/eng/news.asp?id=558

So like the current GG, Adrienne Clarkson, Ms. Jean's marriage is also intercultural/racial. A wonderful reflection of the country's diversity.

Wow! I was wondering who that guy was :)

~*~Humera~*~ said:

I don't mean to nitpick but the Governor General is not technically the Head of State. He/She "merely" represents the Canadian head of state -- Elizabeth II.

bweir said:
I don't mean to nitpick but the Governor General is not technically the Head of State. He/She "merely" represents the Canadian head of state -- Elizabeth II.

actually the GG is head-of-state, in the Queen's absence. The Queen obviously does not live in Canada.
If you check the latest news reports and newspaper headlines, they refer to Madame Jean as "Canada's next head-of-state"

~*~Humera~*~ said:
If you check the latest news reports and newspaper headlines, they refer to Madame Jean as "Canada's next head-of-state"

Yes, that is unfortunate because it is factually incorrect -- not just technically but constitutionally as well. I am a journalism student and this factual error is outlined in the Canadian Press Style Guide section on the Monarchy so there is really no excuse for them to continually call the Governor General the head of state. Just for sake of trivia, the CP Style guide also deems it inappropriate to call Diana "Princess Diana" instead of the correct "Diana, Princess of Wales" and to call members of the Royal Family British (EG: It is not "the heir to the British throne" or "Britain's Prince Charles" when writing for a Canadian publication but simply "the heir to the throne" or "Prince Charles")

Last edited:
Here is an opinion piece from yesterday's National Post written by the Dominion Chairman of the Monarchist League of Canada:

[font=verdana, arial]A LETTER TO OUR NEW GOVERNOR GENERAL
by John Aimers
Dominion Chairman,
Monarchist League of Canada

Dear Madame Jean,

With what eloquence - and political savvy -you introduced yourself to the country this morning. Nothing daunted by the slathering national press corps’ invitations to indiscretion, you showed yourself already a real vice-regal pro by eloquently turning to advantage their questions on Mme Clarkson’s spending, the government’s Haitian policy and the possible perils of minority parliaments.

Your life story is as compelling as its experiences clearly have been formative for you: they have led you to cherish that Canada and that Québec where, consummate allaphone, you have built career and family and reputation.

This morning, you said something else, a statement I found most moving: that the Monarchy should represent a safe and open space, where all people can come together and dialogue.

You came to our shores, as have so many of our fellow subjects, from a place that was far from safe, a Haiti where free speech was perilous, probably often impossible. Finding your voice, and material success here in Canada, you rejected the temptation to isolate yourself from the harsher realities of our urban life. Rather, as one of your admiring Radio Canada colleagues told me today, you chose to live in Montreal’s Little Burgundy - La Petite Burgogne - a diverse neighbourhood in the throes of difficult transition, confronting problems of violence and substance abuse. Not for you the pleasant purlieus of Outremont of Westmount: you wanted to give back to your community, and you opted to try to make a difference in this place. In other words, your record - long before this appointment was mooted - was one of deeds complementing, not contradicting, the concerns of your eloquent language and documentary film-making.

Madame, the temptation of many will be to dwell on your personal qualities as suiting you ideally to the position of Governor General. However, I hope you and all Canadians will come to find that the honour of your high office, and of your success at Rideau Hall, will in fact derive not from your capacity alone, nor from your selection by the Prime Minister. Rather, that you and we will realize that the dignity of the GG’s role comes from its independence - and that the source of that independence is that you represent not any one of us, but Her Majesty The Queen.

In recent years, some have tried to portray the Governor General as that which she is not: head of state. If that were true, then Canadians would basically have confided in the Prime Minister of the day untrammeled power. Authority in Canada comes not from the fleeting tides of political charisma and partisan success. Rather, it originates in the fact that all power is but lent to those whom we have elected, for a brief and often unpredictable season, by the Crown. As Governor General, you will exercise many functions of a head of state; but may you ever be conscious that your prestige comes from the Sovereign for whom service has shown itself a lifetime commitment.

In stating that you wish to be seen as a citizen amongst citizens, may it be that this inclusiveness extends to monarchists -small “m” variety ! Many of us have been troubled by a confusion of roles between Queen and Governor General, and the seeming denigration of the Sovereign, as exemplified at the 2004 Canadian D-Day Anniversary celebrations in Normandy, and by last December’s removal of Her Majesty’s name from Canadian diplomatic letters. We feel that our history, our present constitutional arrangements and the best prospect of a united, independent future all reflect a vigorous promotion of our indigenous institutions - and we look to you as our Governor General to cherish and protect them from manouevre and manipulation.

In this work you will feel very blessed by many who wish you well - officially and unofficially. In the Private Secretary, Barbara Uteck, you have a woman of devotion, decency and broad experience. In constitutional experts ranging from Jacques Monet and David Smith to Kenneth Munro and yes, even my republican friend Michael Bliss, you will find varied advice devoid of any personal agenda. And don’t overlook your fellow Royal representatives, the Lieutenant Governors. They want to feel a part of your team, valued and treated as colleagues. What an eclectic resource they are, from the innovative aboriginal diplomat Jim Bartleman to the courageous whirlwind Lise Thibault to the incredibly popular Lynda Haverstock: may you include them under your big tent, as well ! As for that big tent - the Monarchy representing “all that is best and most admired in the Canadian ideal,” to quote our Queen - you are going to enlarge its fabric. We will be right there to help you piece it together and sew the fine stitches to your over-arching design. We are ready to serve, Ma’am. You surely will do us proud. With respect and anticipation,
John

[/font]

Does anyone when will the Queen's annual inspection of Guards at the beginning of her summer Balmoral holiday take place?

It takes place usually when the Queen arrives to Balmoral, but this year has been postponed until she goes into the castle. They said it'll be on Saturday.

ElisaR said:
It takes place usually when the Queen arrives to Balmoral, but this year has been postponed until she goes into the castle. They said it'll be on Saturday.

Thanks ElisaR.So hopefully there will be pictures from AAP Image or Getty Images this year.

~*~Humera~*~ said:

The Governor General of Canada is not Canada's head of state. The Governor General is in fact the representative of the head of state. In modern Canada, the GG performs all the duities of a head of state, but performs them in the name of Queen Elizabeth II. All of the Governor General's legal power such as Royal Assent are the Queen's alone, however, the Queen allows the Governor General to perform this duty on her behalf.

This factor has created a lot of misunderstanding about what the Governor General actually is. Throughout the years, governments have downplayed the royal connection and has attempted to elevate the GG to the full head of state.

Here i just found some rare photos of the Queen at a Parade at Balmoral Castle last year:
They are from Ontario Masseo Pipes and Drums website:Some other photos are too large so i think you can see them from the link below:
http://www.omlpb.ca/Images/Balmoral%20Castle/Balmoral_Photos.asp
And they were really close photo of the Queen, we can feel different from other photos we often see of Her Majesty on her visits.
Hope you like them.

Attachments

• edinburgh%20aug%202004%20Brian%20129_jpg.jpg
    edinburgh%20aug%202004%20Brian%20129_jpg.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 227
  • edinburgh%20aug%202004%20Brian%20131_jpg.jpg
    edinburgh%20aug%202004%20Brian%20131_jpg.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 260
  • edinburgh%20aug%202004%20Brian%20132_jpg.jpg
    edinburgh%20aug%202004%20Brian%20132_jpg.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_0035_JPG.jpg
    IMG_0035_JPG.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 275
  • BALMORAL%2014_jpg.jpg
    BALMORAL%2014_jpg.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 280
  • BALMORAL_jpg.jpg
    BALMORAL_jpg.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 553
Last edited:
Oppie said:
...but the GG has no real powers. She would never veto a law for example and she would never instruct the armed forces without permission from the Prime Minister. She does the same job as the Queen does in England. She also dissolves parliament and calls elections.

This is quite misleading.

On Remembrance (Armistice) Day, 1975, Sir John Kerr KCMG Governor-General of The Commonwealth of Australia, dismissed the Prime-Minister, E. Gough Whitlam from office, and the government with him. He then appointed the leader of the opposition as care-taker PM, and called an election.

The dismissed government, had failed for months to secure supply from the upper House, and as such could not function in it's duty.

The power to do this was one of many reserve powers, vested in the Governor-General by the Soverign as set out in the constitution. I understand that the other 13 countries who recognise Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II as Soverign, also have similar sections in their constitutions. (I don't think it's the case for the 14 other countries who call Her Majesty their Queen, and they have Governors as direct representatives, and not Governors-General. Although that may just have to do with the size of the countries.

In Australia we have the Governor-General who is of the entire Commonwealth of Australia, but we also have Governors of each state: New South Wales, Victoria, Queensland, Tasmania, South Australia and Western Australia.

Canada has a similar arrangement with each Province having it's own Lieutenant-Governor.

HMQueenElizabethII said:
Here i just found some rare photos of the Queen at a Parade at Balmoral Castle last year:
They are from Ontario Masseo Pipes and Drums website:Some other photos are too large so i think you can see them from the link below:
http://www.omlpb.ca/Images/Balmoral%20Castle/Balmoral_Photos.asp
And they were really close photo of the Queen, we can feel different from other photos we often see of Her Majesty on her visits.
Hope you like them.

Thank you, they are very nice. :)

Balmoral

Balmoral opens its doors for money-making events

QUEEN Victoria called it her “dear paradise in the Highlands” and for generations its granite towers have provided a private and tranquil retreat for the royal family.
Now, however, Balmoral is to become a mecca for businessmen and newlyweds . . .
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2090-1724914,00.html

Re. Von Schlesian

We have just gone through some time where the political minority was barley functioning. It was suggested that the GG dissolve parliament but she sort of "let them work out the problems on there own". It had been reported that she might have talked to the Queen. It is very unlikely that the situation in Australia would ever happen since our senate is not elected. The GG would not be allowed to interfere like that. It has to be cut and dry, fail a non confidence vote an election is called survive a non confidence vote no election. Appointing the leader of the opposition as PM would be considered by most Canadians a serious breach of the job.

As compared to the President as I was she has no real powers. Although she may legally be entitled to do things she never would do them. Convention and precedent is as important as what is written down.

I have found pictures of Her Majesty inspected the Guard at Balmoral Castle on Saturday:
Pictures from Abaca Press:

Attachments

• 390472.jpg
    390472.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 236
  • 390473.jpg
    390473.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 222
  • 390474.jpg
    390474.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 244
  • 390475.jpg
    390475.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 228
  • 390476.jpg
    390476.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 223
Queen starts Summer holiday
Last Modified: 6 Aug 2005
Source: ITN

The Queen has begun her annual summer stay at Balmoral with an inspection of a ceremonial guard.

All six Scottish infantry regiments were represented for the first time, in recognition of their imminent merger into a single "super-regiment" next year.

A one hundred-strong crowd of locals and tourists gathered at the main gate of the castle at Royal Deeside to watch the Queen inspect around 50 troops.

http://www.channel4.com/news/content/news-storypage.jsp?id=1496992

Last edited by a moderator:
Oppie said:
As compared to the President as I was she has no real powers. Although she may legally be entitled to do things she never would do them. Convention and precedent is as important as what is written down.

Oh, I'm not disputing the value of constitutional coventions at all, after all: for Australians, a Prime Minister is a convention! My point was only that no one here ever imagined (certainly not in 1975), that Her Majesty's representative would ever exercise a reserve power, Gough Whitlam among them. But they were proved wrong.

Everyone expects the same today, that a Governor-General won't interfere with the functioning of Government, but then again, our current Governor-General is a retired Major General, and a Vietnam Veteran.. anything might happen.

It's so sad to see the regiments been turn into one big regiment. :( What was Mr.Blair's goverment thinking? :confused: Has he forgotten he is also Scottish? :confused: Even I understand being more then half scottish myself, why they didn't want to be one big regiment, and I'm Canadian.

Anyways Her Majusty looks very nice. :) I think it was a wonderful idea to get all the regiments together.:)

Last edited:
She looks very nice and is wearing a brooch that I've never seen before. She really has many of them.

BBC's "On this Day" today has a great recollection of Her Majesty's visit to Northern Ireland as part of her Silver Jubilee Tour in 1977. It was a high security visit to a troubbled part of her realm, and she didn't visit again unti 1991, and recently during her Golden Jubilee Tour in 2002.

Read the full article recollection and see a video here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/august/10/newsid_2528000/2528727.stm

GrandDuchess said:
BBC's "On this Day" today has a great recollection of Her Majesty's visit to Northern Ireland as part of her Silver Jubilee Tour in 1977. It was a high security visit to a troubbled part of her realm, and she didn't visit again unti 1991, and recently during her Golden Jubilee Tour in 2002.

Read the full article recollection and see a video here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/august/10/newsid_2528000/2528727.stm

Thanks you so much GrandDuchess.It was really cool.

"St Paul's service for bomb victims"

A memorial service for the victims of the London bombings will be held at St Paul's Cathedral on November 1.

The event will be attended by the Queen, Prime Minister Tony Blair, several Secretaries of State, Conservative leader Michael Howard, Liberal Democrat leader Charles Kennedy and a number of foreign ambassadors.

Full story here: http://icteesside.icnetwork.co.uk/0...aul-s-service-for-bomb-victims-name_page.html

The new Canadian govener general and her husband may have been separtists.
What do you think? I think it could be true because he hails from France.

Long live the Queen!

Queen to visit China in charm offensive

By Severin Carrell

Published: 14 August 2005

The Queen is preparing to make an official visit to China, the last major Communist state, as part of a concerted charm offensive by Britain to strengthen trade links.

From: http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/this_britain/article305778.ece

Wow!So Her Majesty still have many visits at the age of 80: A State Visit to Malta next November, an Official Visit to Australia to open Commonwealth Games in March 2006,and then follow by a State Visit to SIngapore.And now also with an Official Visit to China.

HMQueenElizabethII said:
Queen to visit China in charm offensive

By Severin Carrell

Published: 14 August 2005

The Queen is preparing to make an official visit to China, the last major Communist state, as part of a concerted charm offensive by Britain to strengthen trade links.

From: http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/this_britain/article305778.ece

Wow!So Her Majesty still have many visits at the age of 80: A State Visit to Malta next November, an Official Visit to Australia to open Commonwealth Games in March 2006,and then follow by a State Visit to SIngapore.And now also with an Official Visit to China.

I hope it's true. It would be a great event. :)
(And I hope that Philip manages to keep his mouth closed this time. :rolleyes: )

Battle of Trafalgar anniversary dinner

Daily Mail

Storm over £1,750 'meet the Queen' offer

Defence chiefs are at the centre of a row over plans to 'hire out' the Queen at a £1,750-a-head champagne reception. . . .
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=359170&in_page_id=1770

I had seen dinner details on the official site of Trafalgar 200. The article states that there are still tickets available, but I read on the site that they are "sold out".
I think that a ballot would have been more appropriate.

The official DVD of the events in June (fleet review and son et lumière) will be released at the end of August. It can be pre-ordered on the site: http://trafalgar200.com/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom