The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 06:11 PM

It showed him painting HM and then the unveiling.

At one point, the portrait was perfect and if only he'd left it alone - but he didn't. He fiddled and made her look buck-toothed. I loved seeing the different portraits of the Queen they showed. I thought the hologram was rather special.

Old 01-01-2006, 06:16 PM
Aristocracy

Rolf had two sittings with the Queen in Buckingham Palace which were filmed and he also took pictures of her so he could work on her portrait at home. I can't remember when the portrait was unveiled but the programme basically showed Rolf painting her majesty and having a chat at the same time so pretty much the run up to the unveiling etc. He said he wanted to paint a picture which depicts the real Queen and so this programme was to show who the real queen was.

Old 01-01-2006, 06:19 PM

He borrowed the Queen's outfit and had it sent to his house to paint the details - it came on a lovely pink padded hanger. Very homely.
Old 01-01-2006, 06:27 PM
Aristocracy

I never even noticed the hanger lol! IMO it was very kind of her to let him borrow the outfit and it was pretty cool how she basically left everything up to him such as what outfit she wore and what jewellery she put on etc.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:56 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Brunei, Malaysia & Dubai

Canada sends "Happy Birthday" wishes to
Queen Elizabeth

Ottawa - Canada Post will issue a single domestic rate (51&#162 stamp on January 12, 2006, to commemorate Queen Elizabeth's 80th birthday. This special commemorative will be reprinted as needed, as was the case with the Queen's Jubilee stamp. On April 21, the Queen's actual birthday, Canada Post will issue a souvenir sheet featuring two international rate ($1.49) stamps of the same design.

Q30 Design Inc. of Toronto created the Queen's birthday stamp. The photo, taken by Victor Pilon for Canadian Heritage, shows the Queen in a colourful, brightly lit, informal portrait, interacting with the public at the RCMP Museum and Stables in Ottawa during her 2002 visit. The words "Happy Birthday! / April 21, 1926" appear in both official languages on the stamp.

Queen Elizabeth is the most celebrated personality to have appeared on Canadian postage stamps, having been featured over 100 times.
http://www.canadapost.ca/business/co....asp?prid=1138

picture of the stamp from Canadapost.ca:
Old 01-08-2006, 11:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Rolf's Queen ties down the crowds
http://www.thecouriermail.news.com.a...55E401,00.html
Old 01-11-2006, 09:03 AM
Imperial Majesty

RIGA – Riga could be graced twice by royalty this year, as both the queen of the Netherlands and Great Britain might visit the Latvian capital, the daily Diena reported last week.

http://www.baltictimes.com/art.php?art_id=14365
Old 01-11-2006, 09:43 AM
Administrator

What a lovely stamp! I can't wait until the official Birthday cebebrations for Her Majesty!
Old 01-11-2006, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Brunei, Malaysia & Dubai

It is pretty isnt it? The last Canadian stamp of QE was based on a candid photo of the Queen taken by singer Bryan Adams for her Golden Jubilee. It was very nice too but the new one is more colourful.
I think Im going to go out and get it. I need new 51 cent stamps anyway.
Old 01-11-2006, 10:38 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
RIGA – Riga could be graced twice by royalty this year, as both the queen of the Netherlands and Great Britain might visit the Latvian capital, the daily Diena reported last week.
Woo!Thanks for the news, i'm sure it will be a really wonderful year for Her Majesty as celebrations for her 80th birthday, and visit to Australia for Commonwealth Games, State Visit to Singapore, a Brazillian State Visit to The United Kingdom in March would bring some greats as well and maybe some glittering Tiaras too, and now a maybe-Latvian State Visit!So exciting year!
God save Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Old 01-15-2006, 02:39 PM
Aristocracy

I wasn't sure if I should include this in the Queen Elizabeth news thread or in one in the Prince Charles sub-forum.

I just read an article by the Sunday Mirror at http://www.sundaymirror.co.uk/news/t...name_page.html.

Essentially it says that the Queen intends to stand aside for Charles to rule unofficially as "regent" without the Queen actually fully abdicating.

I know she was going to start cutting back on some of her duties, such as investitures and overseas trips, but this seems a little far-fetched. How credible is the Sunday Mirror?
Old 01-15-2006, 02:41 PM

Not credible at all. But that same story ran in the Telegraph, the Sun, the Daily Mail and the Sunday Mirror the day after Charles and Camilla married so it looks to have some truth to it. She won't officially abdicate, nor will she set up a regency, but she's going to take a back-seat role and there won't be anymore overseas trips. Charles and Camilla will be doing all that sort of thing.
Old 01-15-2006, 02:44 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Queen's letters to midwife on show

The letters written by the Queen to her midwife that assisted at the births of Princes Charles, Andrew, Edward and Princess Anne will be exhibited before being put up for auction.

From the BBC
Old 01-15-2006, 03:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
Queen's letters to midwife on show

The letters written by the Queen to her midwife that assisted at the births of Princes Charles, Andrew, Edward and Princess Anne will be exhibited before being put up for auction.

From the BBC
hmmm...why would anyone want to buy that????
Old 01-15-2006, 03:19 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyemma
hmmm...why would anyone want to buy that????
Hmm, I was thinking the same thing, pollyemma. Though I would be interested in seeing the exhibit I don't know whether I'd want to BUY the letters.

The Queen is usually so close with releasing her personal correspondence I was surprised she even allowed these letters to be made public.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:53 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
Hmm, I was thinking the same thing, pollyemma. Though I would be interested in seeing the exhibit I don't know whether I'd want to BUY the letters.

The Queen is usually so close with releasing her personal correspondence I was surprised she even allowed these letters to be made public.
Since these letters aren't in The Queen's possession (and haven't been ever since she mailed them), I'm not sure she could control their being publicly sold. If I remember correctly from situations with some royal letters in the recent past, the writer still has copyright to the written words, but the physical letters themselves belong to whomever owns them at the time. Also that copyright prevents the entire document being published without permission, but that small excerpts can be.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Reporter arrested at Queen's Palace
http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...496288,00.html

QUEEN TELLS SHOT STAR: "I HOPE THEY CATCH THE B*****DS"
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/tm_obje...name_page.html
Old 01-20-2006, 02:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

well well the Queen used that word eh tut tut :)
Old 01-20-2006, 11:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Philip tells of role in wartime sea rescue
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...21/ixhome.html
Old 01-21-2006, 01:36 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara1981
Philip tells of role in wartime sea rescue
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...21/ixhome.html

Interesting. :)
It will be broadcast on BBC radio 4: