The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 06:48 PM
Heir Apparent

^I'm not sure really but I'm glad they realized that even if they did think those flights would do him good in the end all it did was cause bad press, and I'm glad they admitted their wrong doings. I dunno what William's intentions were with those flights but it's ok atleast everyone admitted they were wrong and it's best to just move on.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:21 AM
Imperial Majesty

Prince William has helped seize £40million of cocaine as part of a Royal Navy helicopter team.

Prince William in £40million cocaine bust in Caribbean - Mirror.co.uk

Prince William was involved in a £40million cocaine bust during his first week of operations with the Royal Navy in the West Indies

Prince William's Navy ship pulls off £40million cocaine bust during his first week at sea | Mail Online

William's ship seizes £40m cocaine haul - Yahoo! News UK

Old 07-03-2008, 03:59 PM
Nobility

Good for everyone on the including Prince William. What does a lookout do while the helicopter is chasing the boat from the air?
"They found 45 sacks of cocaine weighing a total 900kg and held five men 300 miles north east of Barbados on Saturday." from the Mirrior
Is 300 miles North east of Barbados just in middle of the ocean or would it closer to any of other Caribbean Islands?
In the short that William will actually be aboard the ship how much drugs might be siezed?
Old 07-03-2008, 07:27 PM
Majesty

Yes, indeed! The less of this stuff that makes it to our shores, the better.
Old 07-06-2008, 02:41 PM
Aristocracy

Prince William to receive US medal for role in drugs bust

Sub-Lieutenant Wales, as he is known in the naval force, will be presented a Joint Services Achievement Medal by the US Coast Guard for his actions during this week's £40 million Caribbean drug bust.

Prince William to receive US medal for role in drugs bust
Old 07-10-2008, 06:17 AM
Nobility

Prince William takes part in a hurricane drill in the Caribbean | Mail Online

I have to say the fact that everything William does in the mmilitary is photographed irks me somewhat. Either the media are taking the pics without permission in which case they should leave him alone while he is working. Or, even worse in my opinion, Clarence House is giving permission for the pictures to be taken in which case they should stop using everything William does as a PR stun and realise that letting Willaim just get on with serving in the military without such a fuss. That would win more admiration from the public, like it did for Harry.

Wills to the rescue | Royal Navy hurricane rescue practice | The Sun |HomePage|News|Royals

Hmmm given that this article contains a quote from the captain of William's ship i imagine he must have had permission to speak to the media, intresting.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:29 AM
Aristocracy

I agree tommy. I find that rather annoying as well. I do not doubt that William is a capable commander who does his job properly but I need not be told so every other week. To allow the press access only makes his military work appear like a PR stunt something he clearly does not need. They should really let him do his work without media coverage to make it look much more genuine.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:37 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

...and the daily Clarence House PR spin is oozing off the monitors ... what's next, Prince William saving the oceans from a deep sea monster? I am sure he's a very capable officer but why overdo everything. William busting up drug barons, William hailed as a natural leader ... I am getting tired of all those headlines that seem to have only one aim: make forget the much discussed blunders that happened only a few weeks ago. He's doing a good job like anyone else, nothing more, nothing less.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:57 AM
Commoner

Maybe it's the RN that sees this as a good opportunity to get some well earned attention to what they are doing. Fair enough I think.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:11 AM
Courtier

I think it's win/win situation for all involved. William gets some good PR and the Royal Navy gets some much needed press attention.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

Prince William Royal Navy Training in Montserrat, 7 Jul 2008.
Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected#
MediumPhoto
Old 07-10-2008, 01:53 PM
Courtier

see video...

Prince William joins hurricane disaster exercise in Caribbean - Telegraph
Old 07-10-2008, 02:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Glad he did this So will he be given his Medal From the USA In America or Britian?
Old 07-10-2008, 03:04 PM
Majesty

Yes. This is what working members of the Royal Family do--draw attention to the good work that others are doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atina View Post
Maybe it's the RN that sees this as a good opportunity to get some well earned attention to what they are doing. Fair enough I think.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:06 PM
Majesty

Are they all getting a medal, or is William getting the medal as the respresentative of the crew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Fan View Post
Glad he did this So will he be given his Medal From the USA In America or Britian?
Old 07-10-2008, 03:06 PM
Courtier

See other video..

this is the sentinel - news, entertainment, jobs, homes and cars
Old 07-10-2008, 04:41 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isana View Post
I agree tommy. I find that rather annoying as well. I do not doubt that William is a capable commander who does his job properly but I need not be told so every other week. To allow the press access only makes his military work appear like a PR stunt something he clearly does not need. They should really let him do his work without media coverage to make it look much more genuine.
I also agree. If he is serious about 'learning the basics', then we don't need his PR machine in full motion.

It lessens the whole experience and people start to question what else is going to be laid on for his fun and games!
Old 07-10-2008, 05:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Although this is a great honour and I'm very proud of William and everyone else invloved, I'm fed up with all these awards and what not just let him do his training, he seems pretty serious about it.. I think I just hope he's learned his lesson from the last time. A better idea in my mind is give him the awards after he finishes if you must. I don't know maybe I'm just in a weird mood today, I mean I love William but this is getting ridiculous seems like every week he gets a new award.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

As the entire crew was involved in some way, I wonder if they are all getting this award. From the little I have been able to find, at the moment it would appear not.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:11 PM
Nobility

The artlices make it out that he would not be the only one getting Joint Service Achivemnet Medal I believe that it would the helicopter and boarding crews as well as probably those who help wiegh the drugs. This would include those who are US Coast Gaurdmen or women and RN personal. Unless it being given only to him as an important international figure which would unfair on two counts it was a pretty small bust and there were others invloved. The media cocentrates on him because he is famous which unfair to the real RN men and women and the US Coast Gaurdsman and women to which this routine.
Will he even be allowed to wear in on his uniform?
I am sure he is an able commissioned officer. Being an Army officer I am sure he would rather deployed with regiment wether to Iraq or Afganistan or at least somewhere with NATO forces. So he could use the skills he obtained during training in something resembaling combat but probably knows this is the closest he will get. Since he is probably leaving the Army Jan next year.

Closed Thread

Tags
prince william