The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 01:41 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
You are right, an apology would not be acceptable, not when there are real pilots, servicemen and women risking their lives. Lets not worry about William having a jolly or two and fulfilling his lifelong ambitions at the expense of the taxpayer and the reputation of the RAF.

I am so glad that the idiots that allowed this are going to be reprimanded!
So is William supposed to apologise for undertaking the course that the RAF planned for him? I realise that you don't think he should have been given the opportunity to do it but that's rather water under the bridge now isn't it?

Old 04-21-2008, 02:19 PM
Courtier

William and Harry visit rehabilitation centre! There are many photographs up at Getty Images

Princes William and Harry visit injured soldiers at Headley Court - Telegraph

Harry reunited with marine who lost arm in Afghanistan as he and William meet injured war heroes at rehab centre | the Daily Mail

Old 04-21-2008, 02:38 PM
Serene Highness

I agree that William and his advisors should have made different choices in light of the second event in Kate's field. As King, he is going to have acquire a more diplomatic consideration of his actions. However, it is unfair to place all the blame on Williams shoulders. He has people advising him for a reason since theoretically they are more experienced than he is. He also has commanding officers who are supposed to be in charge of these decisions. As he was allowed by his superiors to use the equipment as he did, it's a bit ridiculous to accuse him of misuse of it. If it was misuse, they should have prohibited it. By all means though, throw William in military prison! Absurd.

At the end of the day, he is a firstly a monarch in training, not a career soldier in training. So to make negative comparisons regarding what training he receives as opposed to the training given to other soldiers is really like comparing apples to oranges. When William is King, there will be thousands of career officers, but he will be the only king. As the future king, he also cannot be expected to serve in active combat. Prince Charles, with his chest full of medals, received vastly more training in the Royal Navy but he never went to war. What makes William so different? Prince Charles also earned his wings under the same type of training that William received and nobody cries about the taxpayer expense for that. Every monarch has a full military dress uniform covered in medals for this that and the other thing, most of them given for fluff military service if they served at all. Now all of a sudden it seems people are shocked and shaken that a royal is giving a passing glance at a military career on his way to the throne.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:12 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trader View Post
So is William supposed to apologise for undertaking the course that the RAF planned for him? I realise that you don't think he should have been given the opportunity to do it but that's rather water under the bridge now isn't it?
William is supposed to apologise for taking advantage. bad enough that this training programme has made him think he is a real RAF pilot but with these jolly jaunts he has lost the respect of many service personnel. he certainly seems to take after his uncle and with the recession, the last thing we need is another playboy.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:30 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimebear View Post
I agree that William and his advisors should have made different choices in light of the second event in Kate's field. As King, he is going to have acquire a more diplomatic consideration of his actions. However, it is unfair to place all the blame on Williams shoulders. He has people advising him for a reason since theoretically they are more experienced than he is. He also has commanding officers who are supposed to be in charge of these decisions. As he was allowed by his superiors to use the equipment as he did, it's a bit ridiculous to accuse him of misuse of it. If it was misuse, they should have prohibited it. By all means though, throw William in military prison! Absurd.
William could have suggested it might not be a good idea (and we haven't heard anyone coming forward to suggest that was the case), despite a concerted effort by some members of the MOD to convince us that it was not Williams fault. I can imagine William saying what a good laugh it would be rather than 'do you think thats a good idea'. He was complicit in misuse of a military craft and misuse of taxpayers money, if he wants to learn about the forces, let him take the punishment that would be handed out to ordinary air crew
Quote:
At the end of the day, he is a firstly a monarch in training, not a career soldier in training.
Then do the training without pay or offer to pay for the flight training. He hasn't learned about the RAF or what keeps it ticking, if he really wanted to learn on his way to being a King, there were many engineering and other trades he could have signed up for but I suppose to William, it doesn't look as impressive being an engineer. 30 - 40 years down the line, he will need to have earned some brownie points with his subjects, the republicans are truly having a field day with these jaunts.
Quote:
.......What makes William so different? Prince Charles also earned his wings under the same type of training that William received and nobody cries about the taxpayer expense for that. Every monarch has a full military dress uniform covered in medals for this that and the other thing, most of them given for fluff military service if they served at all. Now all of a sudden it seems people are shocked and shaken that a royal is giving a passing glance at a military career on his way to the throne.
As King he would, I think, have to earn some respect from his people. No Charles did not go to war, as many don't (and it was more than extended training, he was on active service for a few years) but times have changed and the decadence from playboy princes is no longer acceptable to many, especially as we do have men and women in war zones.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:39 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I wondered about the wisdom of letting William and Harry fly around together, even if William has qualified he is fairly inexperienced. Just think of the American example of JFK, Jr. Perhaps I should practice my royal wave in case of a "King Ralph" incident?

As for William's bad press... this reminds me of the continual rivalry of the Queen vs. Princess Margaret, or Diana vs. Fergie. The press always needs a bad guy. Harry's been shown to advantage recently with his stint in Afghanistan and his promotion, so it was "good" William's turn to be the bad guy.

But the stag night and landing in Middleton's field were both pretty stupid stunts, reminescent IMO of Tom Cruise in Top Gun.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:07 PM
Nobility

And now we see the fall out from this - i've read alot of reports about William and Harry's visit to injured troops and there are some suggestions that this a PR stunt to try to dampen the helicopter stories.

Now i don't believe for a minute that it was just a PR stunt, but people now thing that, this shows just how the incident with the helicopters has affected people's perception of William.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:15 PM
Majesty

Prince William needs some good publicity pronto. He seems like a genuinely nice kid but the public perception of William as the Prince with the good, sensible head on his shoulders is slowly but surely eroding over time and ironically it is naughty Harry who seems to have grown in the public's estimation. I am not sure why this is, but the incident with the helicopter doesn't help does it??

For the record I think this thing is being way overblown but I have felt for some time that William sometimes comes off and entitled and churlish. This helicopter thing just confirms it....and I really REALLY hope he does not eventually marry Kate Middleton. I just don't feel she would be that great of an asset to the Crown.l
Old 04-21-2008, 04:18 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
William could have suggested it might not be a good idea (and we haven't heard anyone coming forward to suggest that was the case), despite a concerted effort by some members of the MOD to convince us that it was not Williams fault. I can imagine William saying what a good laugh it would be rather than 'do you think thats a good idea'. He was complicit in misuse of a military craft and misuse of taxpayers money, if he wants to learn about the forces, let him take the punishment that would be handed out to ordinary air crew.
Your imagination aside, the fact remains that someone higher up on the military food chain than William allowed him to use the equipment as he did. This is not a case of where he stole the keys off the hook from Daddy and took the Aston Martin out for a spin. Since you have repeatedly claimed a well versed understanding of the military, you of all people should know the clearances and scheduling required for these sorts of exercises. These plans were approved by the people in charge. If these are the people who are running the RAF and they are unable to say no to the "playboy prince" or consider such exercises as poorly planned, then the RAF has bigger problems than William's jaunts.

Quote:
Then do the training without pay or offer to pay for the flight training. He hasn't learned about the RAF or what keeps it ticking, if he really wanted to learn on his way to being a King, there were many engineering and other trades he could have signed up for but I suppose to William, it doesn't look as impressive being an engineer. 30 - 40 years down the line, he will need to have earned some brownie points with his subjects, the republicans are truly having a field day with these jaunts..

What 25 year old would not want to receive the most exciting training that the military had to offer as opposed to a less glamorous position? 30 -40 years is a long time, and as none of us are psychics and cannot predict what he will due to earn brownie points during that time, it isn't productive to debate what the future holds. The republicans are going to have a bigger field day if monarchists hold the future king in such disdain that they would like to see him imprisoned for an offense he didn't commit.

Quote:
As King he would, I think, have to earn some respect from his people. No Charles did not go to war, as many don't (and it was more than extended training, he was on active service for a few years) but times have changed and the decadence from playboy princes is no longer acceptable to many, especially as we do have men and women in war zones.
Almost every monarch has seen times of war and upheaval with men, and now women, in war zones. True decadence is the fact that the members of the BRF are ferried about in helicopters all the time that cost the taxpayers money. The only difference is that someone decided to make a big stink about William flying one himself. Be it a Chinook during training or a ride from Windsor to BP, its still an expense.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:30 PM
Serene Highness

I don't think that today's visit with the soldiers was a PR stunt but pure coincidence because don't they have that benefit next week to help these same soldiers? So it seems to me that they are getting ready for that. And I believe the boys, especially Harry since he was fighting with some of these men, are really concerned about getting assistance to these men.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:36 PM
Nobility

i don't believe it was a PR stunt either, just that some people are suggesting it could be and that because of whats happened that specualtion is going to be more intense than it would usually.

Also can i say, again, that i know that William didnt simply "take" the helicopter and yes those who approved it or suggested it should be punished or apologise aswell, but they didn't make William do it, he could have thought about the repercussions and said no. Its not jsut his fault but he's also not blamless.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:49 PM
Commoner

Quote:
William is supposed to apologise for taking advantage. bad enough that this training programme has made him think he is a real RAF pilot but with these jolly jaunts he has lost the respect of many service personnel. he certainly seems to take after his uncle and with the recession, the last thing we need is another playboy.
I don't doubt that there are some service personnel with a chip on their shoulder about William's training (especially the person leaking details to the media). Perhaps some of the engineers are unhappy that he didn't choose to join them instead of learning to fly. I'm sure they all turned down the chance to be pilots!
Old 04-21-2008, 04:59 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy1716 View Post
i don't believe it was a PR stunt either, just that some people are suggesting it could be and that because of whats happened that specualtion is going to be more intense than it would usually.

Also can i say, again, that i know that William didnt simply "take" the helicopter and yes those who approved it or suggested it should be punished or apologise aswell, but they didn't make William do it, he could have thought about the repercussions and said no. Its not jsut his fault but he's also not blamless.
Yep, the repercussions are that the media misrepresented it as a joy ride and people lapped it up.

What is it that people are going to be punished or apologise for? Is it because William knew the people that owned the field that he landed in during his training? Does that 'look bad'?

You surely don't believe that PW just said "I know let's take a trip up to Berkshire and say hello to my girlfriend".

It sounds to me that you want him to apologise and for people to be punished because some of the public can't or won't understand what actually happened and prefer the simplistic media story instead.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:12 PM
Courtier

That whole flying incident must be a big deal because it was even on my local news! Which is so unusual because we never get royal news like that...I was like wow. LOL
Old 04-21-2008, 05:35 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by zembla View Post
That whole flying incident must be a big deal because it was even on my local news! Which is so unusual because we never get royal news like that...I was like wow. LOL
It's on the local news here in Los Angeles too, also national like The Today Show. I think it's overblown but I'd much rather hear about William than Britney Spears or Paris Hilton. God I am so sick of those two.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:39 PM

First, let me start off by saying that I do like William and Harry etc. etc. so please don't take this the wrong way.

However, I do not agree with William using the chopper to fly him to places of leisure. I think it is a little irresponsible of him. I understand the whole 'royal, must get best form of transportation, want to make a grand entrance etc. etc' and I also understand that this is his way of showing 'look here, I can fly' and all, but it's too much.

He's taking up the air space from more important flights. Maybe not by a whole lot, but think, the air traffic controllers have to make sure NOTHING is in harms way of him, and not b/c he's flying and all, but b/c he is a prince.

He's made better judgements, this is not one of his best ideas.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:51 PM
Heir Apparent

They really should do more engagements like this. If we are to believe that Royality is special, they should present themselves as special, no matter how much they wish they could be one of the crowd. They have only their being special to give to the world and that they should do. Give, not take, as they are presented with so much without asking for it.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:03 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
They really should do more engagements like this. If we are to believe that Royality is special, they should present themselves as special, no matter how much they wish they could be one of the crowd. They have only their being special to give to the world and that they should do. Give, not take, as they are presented with so much without
asking for it.

These are my feelings EXACTLY Jo. They are "special" and all their whining and gnashing of teeth about wanting to be "normal" is eventually going to backfire on all the Royal houses if it hasn't already. Let's face it, most people want their Royals to have a human face, but they don't want people who are exactly just like them. Royalty today has lost so much of it's mystique that I will be surprised if any of them still have their thrones in about 20 years.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:32 PM
Nobility

It seems as if Trader and Isana have both mentioned something that is being overlooked. Prince William didn't fly to Catherine's house for a jolly trip, he landed in their field and took off again. He was practicing a landing and a takeoff as a part of his helicopter training. He was given permission by the RAF beforehand to use the land to practice the landing and takeoff. The statement issued by the MOD said that all pilots who are in training practice takeoffs and landings in places away from the RAF base, it's a standard part of the training.

The only thing that makes this incident noteworthy is that William personally knew the owners of the land where he practiced the landing and the takeoff. The MOD statement said that there was a shortage of practice fields, and that whenever an approved place was available for practice they took advantage of it. The Middleton's property is 16 miles from the RAF base where Prince William is in training. Surely that made it an ideal place to practice a landing and takeoff?

I read that Prince William landed for 20 seconds and took off again. To me that sounds like a regular practice manouver and not something to do for fun.

If other pilots practice landing and taking off in fields, why shouldn't Prince William do the same?
Old 04-21-2008, 08:09 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaDreamin View Post
It's on the local news here in Los Angeles too, also national like The Today Show. I think it's overblown but I'd much rather hear about William than Britney Spears or Paris Hilton. God I am so sick of those two.
I was just so surprised...it did seem to be a little much. I mean this is the most controversial thing about William I have ever seen on the US entertainment shows, although I see why people in the UK would be pissed off. But like I said, they just never show up on there, it is usually Britney in the entertainment update.

Closed Thread

Tags
prince william