The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 05:16 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by milla Ca View Post
Is there nobody to stop this stupid boy?
Exactly. He's mixing private issues with business which is always bad. Is there nobody to tell him that? Family? MoD? Especially a person like William who hasn't done much yet to demonstrate his service to his country should be very careful when spending other people's money. Every other guy would be sacked after such a "romantic" stunt. It won't help both to raise their public image, neither William nor his "girlfriend" or whatever Miss Middleton should be called.

Old 04-20-2008, 05:37 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy1716 View Post
I agree totally that it almost certainly did not cost any extra money and i honestly don't think William said "i want to fly to .........". Yes RAF officers and MOD officals share the blame, but William is hte future king and this does, i believe, throw open the question of his judgement. He simply must have known that this would not look good to the media, that htis would not end up looking good to the public. And that is quite serious given the way that any modern royal family, adn a modern king/prince must be able to understand the idea of PR and public percetion, which im not saying i agree with, but that alot of people, and the media, all do.
When i say he shoud apologise i shoud say that an apology or explanation - if he said "look - yeah i landed in kate's back garden but i had to land somewhere so i did what any of us would do given the chage and tried to impres some friends. The media have blown the story out of proportion but sorry if anyone is offended" then that woule be fine, i'm not suggesting he grovels for giveness. But the silence from William andclaren house gives the IMPRESSION that he and they don't really care what the public think.

I would like to say that i love the british royal family, especially the younger generation, and i will after this, and yes the media and some peopel will use this to call for a republic and blow it out of all proportion. I don't think its that bad at all. I jsut think it could have been handled better.
What would William be apologising for? The flight to the IOW was probably a bad idea but didn't break any rules and this and the other flights would have been approved by the RAF. An apology would only add fuel to the fire as it would imply that he had done something wrong and simply embarrass the RAF still further.

Personally, I would rather that William's life wasn't dictated by the vagaries of the media desperate for a story (and let's face it with Prescott's bulimia as the main story it is clearly a slow news day), by 'renta-quote politicians and pressure groups or by that section of the British public who are consistently determined to be shocked and outraged by something.

Old 04-20-2008, 05:49 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Exactly. He's mixing private issues with business which is always bad. Is there nobody to tell him that? Family? MoD? Especially a person like William who hasn't done much yet to demonstrate his service to his country should be very careful when spending other people's money. Every other guy would be sacked after such a "romantic" stunt. It won't help both to raise their public image, neither William nor his "girlfriend" or whatever Miss Middleton should be called.
You are absolutely right - if the 'other guy' unilaterally decided to take a helicopter and land it in the field next to his girlfriend's parents house.

But if the 'other guy' did this as part of a routine training flight which involved landing in fields and with the permission of his instructor then being sacked might seem a little harsh (or frankly ridiculous).

Of course, we wouldn't have to worry about it as the chances of the 'other guy' being exposed in the media are almost nil even though he too would be spending other people's money.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:08 PM
Nobility

This just showed up on Foxnews.com (sister to Skynews) relating to this incident:

FOXNews.com - Britain's Prince William Lands Chopper In Kate's Garden - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News
Old 04-20-2008, 07:27 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
He doesn't have to land or fly anywhere because he doesn't have to be in the RAF for show, he could have joined the RAF and not learnt to fly, my dad and sister are in the RAF and both do not fly, but it seems William is jsut intrested in the "cool" part of the RAf which is flying, he dosen't seem intrested in learning about the back work that is put in by many many otehr trades in the RAF.
I agree with you int he fact that if he is training, which i'm not massively against, he had to land somewhere, what i worrry about the most is the judgement, or lack off, that William, and yes Clarence House officials and William's superiors have shown, they should have know landing in William's girlfriends backgarden would have LOOKED bad, flying over Birkhall would have LOOKED bad, flying to the Isle of White would have LOOKED bad. He didn't do anything wrong, but he didn't do naything right either.

i've always admired William, i think he has grown up under impossible circumstances, and has shown real maturity and sense, but these revelations do not look good, and the fact he obvoisuly felt it was acceptable showed he does not seem to, in this instance, have realsied the huge public scrutiny that people righlty have into his life,when he i sspendign TAXPAYERS money, with no intention to serve in the Armed Forces.

If he was going to go off to fly helicopters and risk his life in te armed forces, seving in conflcit zones, as his uncle, Prrince Andrew, did then he could land a helicopter in the middle of Hawaii and take a 2 month holiday, but he is not. That is wherei have a problem with this. He's been through Army training, learning to fly a aircraft and now a heclipoter and soon will be on baord a navy ship, simply so he can say when he is King " i was in the military" which to those who have or know people who have been in armed conflit is to a degree insulting.

If he apoliges, simply saying - "Yeah, i had fun and messed around a bit in my training which everyone does but i realsie people might have expected better of me" then most people would be pleased, and i'd be one of them.

Its the fact that in years to come he'll use this as justification or saying "i was in the military" that gripes me.

Sorry to those that don't agree but thats my opinion.
In a way I don't have a huge problem with William landing in Kate's back garden, I understand that he had to land somewhere as part of training, and certainly if one place is as good as another, why not your girlfriend's back yard? I'm sure lots of young men would have done the same.

But the problem I see with William is that this behaviour, along with using the helicopter to get to Peter's stag night, makes it look like he's just learning to fly in order to have fun--that being in the military is just a bit of a joyride for him. Not only do I think it looks this way (and thus makes him look bad in the eyes of the public, to start with) but I think William really doesn't have much of a sense of responsibility and this is only one of many things that suggest this. Everywhere I've seen pictures of William or interviews with him, or hear about things he's done, it's always the same--laughing, joking around, nothing serious, fun and games. He seems like a nice, friendly person and probably a lot of fun to be around. I don't have any problem with William liking pranks and jokes and even landing in Kate's garden. It just doesn't seem balanced out with any serious sense of direction in life. I agree with tommy1716 that we already know William is not going to ever fight in the military, so he at least needs to act like he's training for valuable experience and know-how. But the way he acts, William seems like a little boy who's learning to fly just to show off. It's not the fun and high spirits that are the problem, the problem is that there is no balance. An apology might rectify that a bit.

It boils down to the fact that William seems immature to me. Nice, personable, but for a 25 year-old, pretty immature.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trader View Post
What would William be apologising for? The flight to the IOW was probably a bad idea but didn't break any rules and this and the other flights would have been approved by the RAF. An apology would only add fuel to the fire as it would imply that he had done something wrong and simply embarrass the RAF still further.
You are right, an apology would not be acceptable, not when there are real pilots, servicemen and women risking their lives. Lets not worry about William having a jolly or two and fulfilling his lifelong ambitions at the expense of the taxpayer and the reputation of the RAF.

I am so glad that the idiots that allowed this are going to be reprimanded!
Old 04-20-2008, 07:54 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkie40 View Post
Lesser mortals have been known to get certain practice run flight patterns approved for clearance..and by coincidence they have often been to impress a mother, grandmother or a special girlfriend of someone who has worked hard to get their wings. It's not like he's using a helicopter to go play a round of golf within a very reasonable driving distance like a particular close relative does on a regular basis.
Really, who. William barely touched on the normal requisites of training and got his wings BEFORE he even completed his training.
Complete disgrace, he should get a dishonourable discharge or at least be charged for conduct unbecoming, Misuse of military equipment or a severe reprimand. You never know a week in Colchester might do him the world of good!
Old 04-20-2008, 08:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

The royal advisors are being a bit dense if they really don't see the difference between stopping off in Granny's back garden or even visiting the home of a new fiancee and paying a visit to a girlfriend's house just days after a previous incident that generated rather dubious publicity.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:59 PM
Royal Highness

Since all William is doing is learning different aspects of armed forces, I really don't see the big deal with his training stop. Even by the more cynical journalists, his flight was approved and seems to be standard part of training exercise. I would think the good thing with stopping in the Middletons' would be to avoid potential distraction of people excited by the sight of a royal training in their backyard and rushing out to take photos that would have made the evening news. At least he could concentrate on learning the manuvers. He didn't go in the house for tea.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Ok now that I've read the full article I have to say this sounds like one big mess. Nice to hear though he'll be a full-time working royal by January. I do think though they'd better do something about all this or else this will hurt William in the long run. I have to say though I still see nothing wrong with William learning to fly. I just feel like everyone should get a chance to do what they dream of doing career wise, William included regardless of the fact he can't fight or anything like that, I've always felt that way. I also don't think we should question William's judgement just because of this, I don't see him as immature because I don't think full blame can be placed on William alone IMO from everything I've heard and read. I know it seems like I'm defending him, but that's not what I'm trying to do.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:39 AM
Courtier

Now I begin to share the view of "Prince William's milatary training is a huge waste of public money". I am not against him staying in the military but I feel that the structure of his military training lacks the focus. It is probably not his facult but his avisors should be more realistic about Prince William's life schedule. He will have his honourable titles in long time.
I don't think Prince William should choose to land any private places as he likes. These acts will certainly cause outcry because this prove that the royal family has unfair priviliges which can be seen as corruptive behaviors. During his military training, people do do expect him to intalled with self-discipline and sense of duty as well as the fairness among people. The royal's role are to set examples despite these examples are probably very hard to achieve and maintain. Prince William should be more careful about his behaviors and think about the circumstances of his behaviors both in private matters and public affairs.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:43 AM
Nobility

I can see how people are getting all wound up and upset because it may look a bit insensitive during this time of war when his future subjects (and friends) are off in the nether regions defending his country....but he is the heir to the throne and has a little leeway in how he can act and thus get "away" with it...in theory...

Too much ranting about all this (which amounts to very little special treatment in the grand scale of his very grand life) reminds me of the Willie Hamiltons out there, I'm afraid....at least no one brought up his "carbon footprint"....yet.

Each criticism of the heir chips away at the Monarchy. There are plenty of other royals who need to toe the line a bit tighter but I think it would be wise to not focus on William... William, if he makes it to be king, will be the best Monarch/world leader the world may ever have....I truly feel that way.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Everyone is going on about how William should choose better places to land but have we all forgotten he got the ok to land it in Kate's backyard by the people in charge, shouldn't they themselves have realized what they were allowing him to do? That's why I can't say oh William is fully to blame when it comes to situations like these.

Quote:
William, if he makes it to be king, will be the best Monarch/world leader the world may ever have....I truly feel that way.
I beleive that as well. No matter what mistakes he may make, I think in the long run this mistake may teach him a valuable lesson, I mean he's human we all make mistakes no matter what the circumstances.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:19 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
I am so glad that the idiots that allowed this are going to be reprimanded!
It would also be nice to see he is reprimanded as well with a letter in his military file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkie40 View Post
William, if he makes it to be king, will be the best Monarch/world leader the world may ever have....I truly feel that way.
I'm curious in, what has he done to make you feel that way?
Old 04-21-2008, 06:38 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Both princes are in the army but the way this is received in public is just a big joke: playing rugby and driving around on a motorcyle in the big adventure playground Afghanistan in Harry's case and using a heli to be dropped off at a stag night and landing in girlfriends back yard in Will's case. It's all about having fun, isn't it. Even if they are still young I am missing a bit the seriounsness about what they are doing and that goes along with their position within the institution.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:20 AM
Aristocracy

I have always liked Prince William, but at the moment I feel a bit disappointed with some of his behaviour regarding this issue with his flight lessons. :(
Old 04-21-2008, 11:18 AM
Courtier

Oh dear he is in trouble.....

Prince William | Flak from RAF top guns | Landing chopper | Kate Middleton's garden | The Sun |HomePage|News|Royals
Old 04-21-2008, 12:34 PM
Nobility

Well can't wait to see what hapens when he goes on palacement with the Navy, will he be commandeering a battle ship for a crusie around the med?

I think the whole idea of hte military and te young princes has become something of an embarrasment to the royal family.

If it had been handled better by ALL concerned the media stunt may have been pulled off.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Well can't wait to see what hapens when he goes on palacement with the Navy, will he be commandeering a battle ship for a crusie around the med?
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:36 PM
Serene Highness

I agree with those who say this is much ado about nothing. Media is so gong ho to make the royal family look bad.

Closed Thread

Tags
prince william