The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 03:03 AM
Nobility

Army training day in Colchester
Could William be be doing any training in Colchester?

Old 02-14-2007, 03:30 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
I hope you are doing exactly what your grandparents, great grandparents and great great grandparents did with their lives.
Have you ever been in the armed forces, have you ever been a British officer, if not how can you possibly say they don't work that hard? The media is unable to get many photo's of the
Awesome post Skydragon. Well, some people want to nail William and Harry to the cross because they don't get up every morning, genuflect at their mother's shrine, self-flaggelate, then pray for 4 hours before they go out in their monks robes to feed the hungry for 16 hours 7 days per week. William, take Kate & come on over to the US. You'd love it. And no one here would recognize either of you. Except for me, and I ain't talkin'. LOL

Old 02-18-2007, 01:22 PM
Heir Apparent

WILLIAM TO SERVE IN NORTHERN IRELAND

Senior Royal courtiers are considering sending Prince William on a tour of Northern Ireland.
The second in line to the throne is expected to spend up to two months in the province on attachment from his regiment.
The plan is to give the 24-year-old the experience of a military tour before he does stints in the Royal Navy and the RAF.
Last night a royal source said: "A period there would be symbolic as the people are enjoying a more peaceful existence.
"William cannot serve on the frontline in Iraq or Afghanistan because of his position as future King - so this is an option."
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 02-18-2007, 08:39 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Quote: Originally Posted by Avalon
WILLIAM TO SERVE IN NORTHERN IRELAND
Avalon, Is this after his training in Dorset? What bases are there in Northern Ireland? What kind of stuff does the British military do up there? Is Northern Ireland peaceful right now, or is there still some problems that the military is needed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine
.... Otherwise that's water on the mill of all speratists, who want to abolish the monarchy and end the United Kingdom.
That would be so sad as a large population of European-Americans come from that part of world. < ed by Warren >
Old 02-19-2007, 06:01 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH Kimetha
Avalon, Is this after his training in Dorset? What bases are there in Northern Ireland? What kind of stuff does the British military do up there? Is Northern Ireland peaceful right now, or is there still some problems that the military is needed?
I would think this will be after he completes his training.

Their role at the moment is to support the Police in the defeat of terrorism and the maintenance of Public Order. There are still a number of bases, but the main two are Ballykelly and Belfast.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:11 AM
Nobility

So Skydragon, what do you think the total time for William's commitment to all branches of the military will be -- three years? How does it work, once he's done with this training in Dorsett, then he goes to Northern Ireland or wherever, fulfills that term, then goes to either the RAF and then the Navy or vice versa and spend a year in each of those branches as well? It's like a Rolling Stones tour or something.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:39 AM
Nobility

New Pics
Fotobanka isifa image service

Skydragon, in relation to what Luv2Cruise asked how do you think the attachments to the Royal Navy and RAF will work?
Old 02-21-2007, 07:01 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Cruise
So Skydragon, what do you think the total time for William's commitment to all branches of the military will be -- three years? How does it work, once he's done with this training in Dorsett, then he goes to Northern Ireland or wherever, fulfills that term, then goes to either the RAF and then the Navy or vice versa and spend a year in each of those branches as well? It's like a Rolling Stones tour or something.
I think for the first year it has been decided that he will complete his training and then do a tour of NI. I believe he signed up for 3 years with the Army, but I should imagine that they will be happy to allow his secondment to the other arms of the services. Unsubstantiated rumour has it that he will do 6 months at Brittania Royal Naval college and then 6 months at Cranwell, the RAF training college.

Much more exciting than a Rolling Stones tour!
Old 02-21-2007, 02:20 PM
Courtier

more photos..

-

can click any photo enlarge..
Old 02-22-2007, 11:56 PM
Nobility

Thanks Skydragon and all who answered my question!

I've been meaning to ask also since it's been raised here, can you nice people set this yank straight about being called English vs. British and tell me the correct term to use? I feel like such a dummy. Thanks again!
Old 02-23-2007, 02:31 AM
Nobility

Skydragon, anyone think that once William has compeleted his troop leader training that be deployed anywhere aside from Northern Ireland?
I do not think he would actually be deployed to Iraq or Afganstan since he is second in line but possibly Germany, Kosovo, or do an attachment to an US do some kind of training with American contemaries.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:46 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I've been meaning to ask also since it's been raised here, can you nice people set this yank straight about being called English vs. British and tell me the correct term to use? I feel like such a dummy. Thanks again!
First you are not a dummy!! It is a hard to explain and means different rules for different people.

Officially to be English, you have to have been born and had your birth registered in England. To be Scottish, born and registered in Scotland, Welsh - Wales, NI - NI. Many people will for instance claim to be Scots because their Gt Granny was a Scot, but that is not really accurate. They are all, however British.

To some you can only be English if both your parents and grandparents were English, with the same rules applying to them. People who hold British passports are classed as British, that can include Australians, Canadians, New Zealanders, Pakistanis, Indians, etc. Even when they have children they are classed as British, not English.

Many will have a different idea of what they consider English. I expect that by the end of all the different ideas, it will be as clear as mud!

I just found this in a long winded article, if nothing else it should give you a laugh.
Now call me a pedant here, but the only people who can have any claim to be racially British are those peoples who inhabited the islands before the Romans came (because I think they named the islands "Britain" and the then inhabitants "British". Or was it the Greeks?). Anyway roughly speaking this means that only the Welsh and the Cornish can be "British" (the Irish being, well, Irish and separate - even to the Romans - and the Scots-Gaelic being, well, Irish as well basically) because they are all that is left of the peoples the Romans came across. Generally at sword point.
http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?EnglishOrBritish
Old 02-23-2007, 11:50 PM
Nobility

Skydragon, could you tell me what some of the units that the men running with William belong to in the pic I posted on the 21?
Old 02-25-2007, 11:37 AM
Nobility

Skydragon, thank you so much, you're the best --and that means better than Google!!!
Old 02-28-2007, 07:32 PM
Nobility

Just so eevryones these are not new pics.
IS_13425826 What are the Regiments are the soldiers in front of William in?
IS_13425835 What regiment is the soldier directlty in front Willim in?
IS_13425836 What unit or regiment is the soldier in who is wearing the olive drab shirt?
Old 03-01-2007, 06:41 AM
Imperial Majesty

kpusa1981, I'm sorry but without a much clearer picture of the badges they could be from any regiment that happens to be there on an inter-service course. The colour of their Tshirts is no help as Blue/Burgundy/Khaki/Bottle Green are used across most of the regiments. Perhaps someone else can help you out.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:52 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
I know that this question has already been answered very well but I just wanted to add that a lot of Brits who are not English do not like 'english' being used as a substitute for 'british'. If something relates to the whole of the UK then 'british' should be used. I think at a recent awards ceremony, for example, an american thanked the 'english' fans for their votes, excluding the fact that as it was a UK ceremony, people from all corners & countries of the UK voted.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:45 AM
Courtier

What's Up With William?

Haven't seen much happen, in respect to media reports, about William. Does anyone if he has reported to Dorset? If may like the fact that he isn't in the news lately.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:03 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzysamos
Prince William is starting to look at lot like Prince Edward to me nowdays. Does anyone else see that? It's not a BAD thing, it's just something I'm noticing more and more in pictures of him.
Yes, indeed. I notice that too. He is his uncle, after all.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:09 AM
Imperial Majesty

The Princes voicemail prank on the Queen

Prince William and Prince Harry reportedly pulled a prank on their grandmother the Queen, recording a fake message on her answering machine.

The Princes voicemail prank on the Queen

Closed Thread

Tags
prince william