Prince William Current Events 13: January-March 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
WILLIAM TO SERVE IN NORTHERN IRELAND

Senior Royal courtiers are considering sending Prince William on a tour of Northern Ireland.
The second in line to the throne is expected to spend up to two months in the province on attachment from his regiment.
The plan is to give the 24-year-old the experience of a military tour before he does stints in the Royal Navy and the RAF.
Last night a royal source said: "A period there would be symbolic as the people are enjoying a more peaceful existence.
"William cannot serve on the frontline in Iraq or Afghanistan because of his position as future King - so this is an option."​

Quote: Originally Posted by Avalon
WILLIAM TO SERVE IN NORTHERN IRELAND
Avalon, Is this after his training in Dorset? What bases are there in Northern Ireland? What kind of stuff does the British military do up there? Is Northern Ireland peaceful right now, or is there still some problems that the military is needed?:)

Jo of Palatine said:
.... Otherwise that's water on the mill of all speratists, who want to abolish the monarchy and end the United Kingdom.
That would be so sad as a large population of European-Americans come from that part of world. < ed by Warren >

Last edited by a moderator:
HRH Kimetha said:
Avalon, Is this after his training in Dorset? What bases are there in Northern Ireland? What kind of stuff does the British military do up there? Is Northern Ireland peaceful right now, or is there still some problems that the military is needed?:)
I would think this will be after he completes his training.

Their role at the moment is to support the Police in the defeat of terrorism and the maintenance of Public Order. There are still a number of bases, but the main two are Ballykelly and Belfast.

So Skydragon, what do you think the total time for William's commitment to all branches of the military will be -- three years? How does it work, once he's done with this training in Dorsett, then he goes to Northern Ireland or wherever, fulfills that term, then goes to either the RAF and then the Navy or vice versa and spend a year in each of those branches as well? It's like a Rolling Stones tour or something. :ohmy:

Luv2Cruise said:
So Skydragon, what do you think the total time for William's commitment to all branches of the military will be -- three years? How does it work, once he's done with this training in Dorsett, then he goes to Northern Ireland or wherever, fulfills that term, then goes to either the RAF and then the Navy or vice versa and spend a year in each of those branches as well? It's like a Rolling Stones tour or something. :ohmy:

I think for the first year it has been decided that he will complete his training and then do a tour of NI. I believe he signed up for 3 years with the Army, but I should imagine that they will be happy to allow his secondment to the other arms of the services. Unsubstantiated rumour has it that he will do 6 months at Brittania Royal Naval college and then 6 months at Cranwell, the RAF training college.

Much more exciting than a Rolling Stones tour! :ROFLMAO:

Thanks Skydragon and all who answered my question!:flowers:

I've been meaning to ask also since it's been raised here, can you nice people set this yank straight about being called English vs. British and tell me the correct term to use? I feel like such a dummy. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Skydragon, anyone think that once William has compeleted his troop leader training that be deployed anywhere aside from Northern Ireland?
I do not think he would actually be deployed to Iraq or Afganstan since he is second in line but possibly Germany, Kosovo, or do an attachment to an US do some kind of training with American contemaries.

Last edited:
Luv2Cruise said:
I've been meaning to ask also since it's been raised here, can you nice people set this yank straight about being called English vs. British and tell me the correct term to use? I feel like such a dummy. Thanks again!
First you are not a dummy!! It is a hard to explain and means different rules for different people.

Officially to be English, you have to have been born and had your birth registered in England. To be Scottish, born and registered in Scotland, Welsh - Wales, NI - NI. Many people will for instance claim to be Scots because their Gt Granny was a Scot, but that is not really accurate. They are all, however British.

To some you can only be English if both your parents and grandparents were English, with the same rules applying to them. People who hold British passports are classed as British, that can include Australians, Canadians, New Zealanders, Pakistanis, Indians, etc. Even when they have children they are classed as British, not English.

Many will have a different idea of what they consider English. I expect that by the end of all the different ideas, it will be as clear as mud!:lol:

I just found this in a long winded article, if nothing else it should give you a laugh.
Now call me a pedant here, but the only people who can have any claim to be racially British are those peoples who inhabited the islands before the Romans came (because I think they named the islands "Britain" and the then inhabitants "British". Or was it the Greeks?). Anyway roughly speaking this means that only the Welsh and the Cornish can be "British" (the Irish being, well, Irish and separate - even to the Romans - and the Scots-Gaelic being, well, Irish as well basically) because they are all that is left of the peoples the Romans came across. Generally at sword point.
http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?EnglishOrBritish

Last edited:
Skydragon, could you tell me what some of the units that the men running with William belong to in the pic I posted on the 21?

Skydragon, thank you so much, you're the best --and that means better than Google!!!:lol:

Just so eevryones these are not new pics.
IS_13425826 What are the Regiments are the soldiers in front of William in?
IS_13425835 What regiment is the soldier directlty in front Willim in?
IS_13425836 What unit or regiment is the soldier in who is wearing the olive drab shirt?

Last edited:
kpusa1981, I'm sorry but without a much clearer picture of the badges they could be from any regiment that happens to be there on an inter-service course. The colour of their Tshirts is no help as Blue/Burgundy/Khaki/Bottle Green are used across most of the regiments. :flowers: Perhaps someone else can help you out.

Luv2Cruise said:

I know that this question has already been answered very well but I just wanted to add that a lot of Brits who are not English do not like 'english' being used as a substitute for 'british'. If something relates to the whole of the UK then 'british' should be used. I think at a recent awards ceremony, for example, an american thanked the 'english' fans for their votes, excluding the fact that as it was a UK ceremony, people from all corners & countries of the UK voted.:)

What's Up With William?

Haven't seen much happen, in respect to media reports, about William. Does anyone if he has reported to Dorset? If may like the fact that he isn't in the news lately.

Izzysamos said:
Prince William is starting to look at lot like Prince Edward to me nowdays. Does anyone else see that? It's not a BAD thing, it's just something I'm noticing more and more in pictures of him. :)

Yes, indeed. I notice that too. He is his uncle, after all. :)

The Princes voicemail prank on the Queen

Prince William and Prince Harry reportedly pulled a prank on their grandmother the Queen, recording a fake message on her answering machine.

The Princes voicemail prank on the Queen

ZandraRae said:
Correct me if I'm wrong here, Skydragon, but couldn't William serve IF his country needed him? Perhaps, not in the Iraqi war, but if there was let's say a WWIII (God forbid that should happen). I am sure there are situations were he could, I guess.
Yes he could be called to serve on the front line if it was really necessary. NI isn't the easiest option, if he does get posted there. Although Sinn Fein have for now sworn off violence, there is still the UDP & 'Real IRA' to contend with and the gangs that are prolific in the provinces.
The only point I was trying to make is that instead of condemning William for not being sent to Iraq or Afghanistan, feel sorry for him that by accident of birth he is not allowed to do what he has been training for, alongside his brother.
In years to come, It won't be life shattering for the younger brother of the King to have been involved in these controversial campaigns, but I believe it would be difficult for the King to have been involved - and that is how far ahead the government/MOD thinks.

Skydragon said:
The only point I was trying to make is that instead of condemning William for not being sent to Iraq or Afghanistan, feel sorry for him that by accident of birth he is not allowed to do what he has been training for, alongside his brother.
I've been thinking about why all Crown princes and their brothers seem to be excellent soldiers - it's tradition, okay, but nowadays one might think there are other ways to serve their country as well.

I have nothing against them being soldiers, mind you, but still I wonder when I see the controversy in many other families between brothers about serving as soldier or serving in a civil help organization.

I believe now that it has to do with the way these princes grow up. From the moment of their birth, they have to accept Royal protection oficers close to them aevery time they leave their home. Their parents and nannies have to make sure that the young princes grow up feeling protected and not harrassed by this constant attention and shadowing. Thus I believe princes and princesses are told over and over again how important and "good" these protection officers are. So their view on police or military staff necessarily is a very positive one - plus the princes have positive role models around them on growing up. It must be fun, said my son lately, to have a sportif partner for playing football all the time...

So princes normally are well-trained as youngsters and have a positive image of the armed forces. No wonder a career in the military is normal for them.

And to second your argument, Skydragon: it must be terrible then not to be allowed to do what their role models are allowed: to actually risk their neck for their country. No pampered byos there but young adults with a sense of belonging to their country.

Skydragon said:
In years to come, It won't be life shattering for the younger brother of the King to have been involved in these controversial campaigns, but I believe it would be difficult for the King to have been involved - and that is how far ahead the government/MOD thinks.

Thanks for the info Skydragon. And I agree with you about feeling sorry for him. After all, he did go through all that training and more than likely he will never really need it.

What does everyone think were or are William and Kate really skiing in Zermatt, Switzerland?
Could these be old pictures that were just released and marked being brand new?

ZandraRae said:
Thanks for the info Skydragon. And I agree with you about feeling sorry for him. After all, he did go through all that training and more than likely he will never really need it.

Do we know that William wanted a career in the army and that's what he would have done long term if he wasn't who he is? He might; I just don't know. I have always thought his military training is just part of his training for his role in life. I have absolutely no foundation for that belief, it's just what I have assumed. William doesn't strike me as the soldier type, whereas Harry does.

I think the training he received at Sandhurst and continues to receive in the various services will be of immeasurable benefit to him in his future role and will certainly not be wasted.

Last edited:
I have friends with family businesses. The children that are going to run the family business, get training in all areas of the business so that they can run it. I think this is the same for William. He is going into the family business and is expected to be in charge one day. He is getting training in all areas. Right now that training is military training with a few other assignments thrown in.

They've gone skiing before in Zermatt, I don't see any reason why they wouldn't actually have gone this time.

Last edited:
kpusa1981 said:
What does everyone think were or are William and Kate really skiing in Zermatt, Switzerland?
Could these be old pictures that were just released and marked being brand new?
I believe they really went skiing. Hence the photos a few days ago of her leaving her flat with several large travel looking bags. It was obvious to me that she was leaving for a trip.

Last edited:
< ed > I love the princes' prank voicemail story.

When is William going to begin his Troop Leader training?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom