The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 12:37 PM
Nobility

He is supposed to an Army guy part of the reason for the short time in the other two services and that Prince Charles wanted him to start royal duties as soon as possible because William had not done many royal duties from 2001 through the end of this year. Due to University and Military which means for six years he as been doing many royal duties. He has done only 51 royal duties in that time since he was in Uni or the military.

Old 07-30-2008, 01:05 PM
Commoner

The fact that William's time with the armed forces has been differerent than that of his father and other royal men, tells me that they have come to the conclusion that another way of doing things than the tradisional one would be better for William.Maybe when Charles is thinking back on his training, there are things he would have done differently. Maybe he'd rather do other things than spend 7 years in the Navy. Maybe all the experience they all hve together has told them that a change for William would be the smartest?

Old 07-31-2008, 03:00 AM
Serene Highness

Prince William and Kate Middleton together with Prince Harry at the Dalwhinnie Crook Charity Polo Match, Gloucestershire. Prince William who has just returned from a week's holiday in the Carribbean with girlfriend Kate Middleton, teamed up with brother Prince Harry. Prince Charles made it a family day out, by also attending. June 1 2008
http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/8...wa67930sr8.jpg http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/5...wa67926uo4.jpg http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/3...wa67925li7.jpg http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/4...wa6792ewu6.jpg http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/7...wa6792dis3.jpg http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/3951/200861rd8.jpg
Old 07-31-2008, 03:45 AM
Commoner

Wow! Kate looks so pretty!Its nice to see them both together again after his stint in the navy.Thanks a lot for the photos
Old 07-31-2008, 04:59 AM
Commoner

This was in June.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:03 AM
Nobility

One wonders how Kate feels about all this navy and army stuf keeping her boyfriend away for weeks on end. Can a girl not born and bred as a princess accept that her beloved has to go away so much? It must be difficult not only for Kate but for all those commoners, who fall in love with princes because the lifestyle is so entirely different.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:23 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villemann View Post
One wonders how Kate feels about all this navy and army stuf keeping her boyfriend away for weeks on end. Can a girl not born and bred as a princess accept that her beloved has to go away so much?
Plenty of couples manage to live fulfilled and happy lives with a partner whose work takes them away for weeks or months at a time. Not just in the military but in mines and on oil rigs etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villemann
It must be difficult not only for Kate but for all those commoners, who fall in love with princes because the lifestyle is so entirely different.
Same goes for anyone whose marriage involves a radical change of lifestyle. Everyone who enters into a marriage has to give a little to get a lot. Some people have to give more than others and that is a personal choice.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:34 AM
Courtier

Quote:
PRINCE William’s girlfriend Kate Middleton amazed airline staff by refusing an upgrade to first class. She insisted on being treated as a regular passenger when she flew to Barbados to meet Wills. The humble 26-year-old then asked British Airways cabin crew: “Please call me Kate.”
Is it Kate or Catherine? I wish they would make up their minds.

Kate's in a class of her own | The Sun |News|Royals
Old 07-31-2008, 08:41 AM
Nobility

If the Sun story is correct, I think Kate - or Catherine - is sending a great signal here:"No special favours thank you." Lets hope she keeps it up after she has been to St. Paul's!
Old 07-31-2008, 09:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villemann View Post
One wonders how Kate feels about all this navy and army stuf keeping her boyfriend away for weeks on end. Can a girl not born and bred as a princess accept that her beloved has to go away so much? It must be difficult not only for Kate but for all those commoners, who fall in love with princes because the lifestyle is so entirely different.
Ask any Army wife how this is... without the gimmicks. Or the wife of any career employee... Or the wife of a craftman away on a rigging assignment... There are soo many women who have to face regular times of absence of their husband, that it doesn't really seem to be worth mentioning, especially not nowadays with the internet and cell phones.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:09 AM
Nobility

No, I am sure the absence is felt the same way whether you are royal or not, but a webcam can not really replace a warm cuddle from your loved one at the end of the day, can it!
Old 07-31-2008, 10:52 AM
Heir Presumptive

I am an army wife, you get used to the absences, you have to. The longest separation was two years alone with four small children and no family near and I survived. Other times it was 1 year, 6 months, etc etc. When you marry someone in the military you have to accept this and to complain would be unfair to the husband. If you are going to object to absences because of duty it is better not to marry and find someone else with a 9-5 job. Sarah Ferguson is a example of someone who couldn´t cope.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:22 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelia View Post
Is it Kate or Catherine? I wish they would make up their minds.
Kate's in a class of her own | The Sun |News|Royals
All 'we' can do is wait for an announcement, it was after all one of the tabloids that told us, that she told everyone to call her Catherine. She might prefer Cate or Cathy or......
Old 07-31-2008, 02:29 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
Ask any Army wife how this is... without the gimmicks. Or the wife of any career employee... Or the wife of a craftman away on a rigging assignment... There are soo many women who have to face regular times of absence of their husband, that it doesn't really seem to be worth mentioning, especially not nowadays with the internet and cell phones.
Cell phones, internet, webcams wonderful inventions for anyone with a husband/wife/son/daughter/father/mother in the forces!
By comparison, William has barely been away.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:27 AM
Royal Highness

I think Kate turning down the upgrade shows her to be very media savvy. If she took up the offer, it would be another mark against her for getting freebies and going on another holiday. It's a shame really, for the airline clerk to sell the story to the tabloids. I'd think airline's so called privacy policy would cover its paying passenger's encounter with its agent. It does make me wonder if the agent was the one to took it upon him/her-self to give Kate an upgrade after recognizing her, either her name or face.
Old 08-02-2008, 03:59 PM
Serene Highness

Kate declines upgrade as she jets to Caribbean for tryst with Wills

The unassuming 26-year-old surprised airline staff by turning down the offer of a seat in first class for the 6,000 mile flight to the Caribbean. She was on her way to be reunited with her royal beau, who's been on attachment with the navy.

Kate declines upgrade as she jets to Caribbean for tryst with Wills

KATE MIDDLETON HA PUESTO RUMBO AL CARIBE PARA PASAR LAS VACACIONES CON EL PRÍNCIPE GUILLERMO
Old 08-02-2008, 05:37 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incas View Post
I think Kate turning down the upgrade shows her to be very media savvy.
Totally agree with you Incas. I think the agent got MONEY!
Old 08-03-2008, 08:22 AM
Courtier

Issa that a freebie frock, Kate? There's an awful lot of giveaway dresses in Brazil for designer's 'muse' | Mail Online

Maybe I'm a little suspicious of the DM's intentions but it is interesting that they went with this story while other news outlets were going with the 'turning down the upgrade' one. Which happened to be one they totally ignored.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:22 AM
Royal Highness

I think that's interesting as well. Of course, reading through the comments, they were lopsidedly against Kate, assuming everything she got were freebies. The strange thing was, with all the paps parking outside her home, I'd expect at least one photo of the "courier bag-loads of frocks" among the evidence. This isn't really a new story. I remember reading in DM at least a year ago about Kate getting free handbags. Kate must be so glad she turned down that upgrade...so not worth it.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:43 AM
Aristocracy

Another DM article - they must be really short of things to publish.

I wear Next clothes as they fit really nicely and I like their style - doesn't mean I get them free!

Closed Thread

Tags
kate middleton, prince william