Prince William and Kate Middleton Current Events 1: October-November 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have enjoyed catching up on the comments in this thread. Everyone has posted some enlightened and thoughtful ideas. On the whole, I can say that I do feel, as many others have expressed, that Prince William does have a long way to go before he can be considered worthy of his royal position. However, I believe that he has the brains and ability to achieve worthiness of his position. I think it's unfair to judge him unworthy because you see pictures of him looking sloshed as he leaves a club and then the next day he complains about the paparazzi following him home. These images, sadly, negate for many people the positive things that Prince William does accomplish. When I have seen him on public engagements, I have been impressed by his conduct. If you want to say, he must do more, because he doesn't do enough, fine. I understand that. I see that he must take on more engagements on a regular rather than occasional basis. But give him a chance. He has not taken on enough work yet. The Army is his first "job". He is 25. Give him a chance. I think after he takes on more jobs and duties, he might surprise many of you.

In my very personal and subjective opinion...

Perusing this thread, I was surprised to read rather unfavourable opinions and facts about Prince William. I did enjoy, however, reading concise and well-grounded posts by Beatrix Fan. It might be regarded as fulsome flattery, but I do like how she expresses and substantiates her thoughts.
It is Prince William's right to go to night clubs with Miss Middleton and have good time, etc… In common parlance, he can sow his wilds. At the same time, he is the eldest son of Heir Apparent and is destined for the British throne.
Under such circumstances, it is deemed expedient for Prince William to slightly tone down the wild side and be more involved in his military service or training. This does not necessarily involve running at the front lines in Iraq or Afghanistan or in any other hot spot, where the UK has the military presence, or carrying out the charity work unceasingly.

It might be regarded as fulsome flattery, but I do like how she expresses and substantiates her thoughts.
I don't regard that as fulsome flattery at all, I regard it as a very sweet compliment and thankyou very much indeed.

Nevertheless, this sentence bothers me. I maintain that the problem is not William's inability to handle anything. He, perhaps like everyone in the world (maybe excepting people with certain mental or physical disabilities, though I'm not sure) has the ability and brains to handle what life serves him. It seems to me that his problem is in his methods rather than his abilities.

I guess it's because I make a living surrounded by people who are desperate for fame. They won't just sleep with a celeb, they actually work hard to get the press that William gets simply by falling out of a bar. Now, I don't want that myself, if it happens it happens and if doesn't it doesn't however if it did happen, I'd expect two things. 1) I'd like to think that I'd sustain my fame with something to be famous for and 2) I'd like to think that as long as I provided photographs for them, they'd respect my privacy. Now that could me being very naive or that could be me harking back to the good old days. However, I'd like to think that as I've put myself up.....oh dear, I'm not expressing this very well.

When I go out I put my make-up on, do my hair and expect to be stared at. It happens, I lap it up and for every one who wolf-whistles, there's ten more that will shout something obscene. But when I wake up in the morning a quite normal person and transform myself into this camp kitsch monster, I do it knowing that the world will see that and that whatever the world says about it, I must take. By my comment, I meant that William should do the same.

We all create an image, it's having the guts to take what you build in front of the mirror out into the theatre that is real life and taking every review you get - the good, the bad and the bloody fantastic. Who am I to patronise him but the image he puts out, will get good reviews and bad reviews and when they're good they'll be very very good and when they're bad - he accepts it and shows he's a stronger person by getting over it.

And whether he can do that or not, he has to accept that his image right now is bad. It's not O.J Simpson bad but it's bad. So the thing to do would be to keep his head down, avoid the nightclubs, attend a little charity afternoon or visit sick babies - something that makes old ladies go "Awwww". The thing to do is not to throw a queeny strop and say, "Don't photograph me, I'm special, I'm a Prince, it's my mum's inquest, wah wah wah". Unless of course he wants a P45 which in his case would come on some very nice embossed paper I'm sure but would mean that his little jaunts at Boujis would have to be put on hiatus and he'd have to consider getting a proper career like his girlfriend has.

The next day, his spokesperson reprimands the editors for buying photos of them leaving, taken, so said Paddy Harversen said, in conditions which made HRH feel threatened. In short, his methods and his timing make me wonder. I don't know what to think about it.

William put himself in those conditions. If I get beaten up because of the way I look, I don't feel threatened, it's self-induced and I accept that as a consequence of going against the norm. If William puts himself on his girlfriend's arm, in front of a nightclub, the night of his mother's inquest, where photographers always gather - he has no right to feel threatened.

You can not join a charity if you do not feel inspired, it has to come naturally. And I do not think Kate looks old and tired nor should William abdicate because he wants to lead an as normal as possible life for the time being.

i agree and don't think she should do work for a charity that she doesn't feel inspired by. what i meant was that she could have the pick of charities that do inspire her.

^^ Wasn't she doing that rowing thing...Was that charity...?

I remember seeing an item on Perez Hilton about it with a pic and she was smiling, good hair/make-up, with diamond studs in, and he commented how camera-ready she looked.

After a few of those pics popped up of her practicing looking amazing while the rest of the team was straining and sweaty...I realized that this is a girl who knows how to play the game...

The thing is, though it isn't nice to admit, most Royals take on patronages to look good and couldn't give Judy's rainbow whether they're inspiring or not. Now there are rare exceptions - Princess Anne with the NSPCC for example. William doesn't have to care about it, he just has to do it. And learn the trick of appearing sincere.

William put himself in those conditions. If I get beaten up because of the way I look, I don't feel threatened, it's self-induced and I accept that as a consequence of going against the norm. If William puts himself on his girlfriend's arm, in front of a nightclub, the night of his mother's inquest, where photographers always gather - he has no right to feel threatened.

I must say that I have long wished Prince William would have private parties instead of going out to those horribly overrated places like Boujis. I don't understand why Boujis is better than a private gathering of loyal friends. After all, Clarence House is bound to have a nice bar, possibly a screening room and god knows what other amenities and luxuries. And if not Clarence House or Highgrove, I should think Guy Pelly has a rather sumptuous digs and plenty of Red Bull and vodka. But please, no snorting it. Vodka produces a wonderful enough sensation when taken through the mouth. This snorting stuff is just insane. Oh but of course Guy Pelly works for Mahiki, so it's in his interests to entice the Princes over there. But Mahiki is slightly better than Boujis.... for a nightclub, I guess Mahiki is ok. I just don't like nightclubs. I'm like Mr. Knightley in Jane Austen's Emma who said: "I prefer to stay at home, where it's cozy."

Well exactly. If you stay at home you can drink out of the dog's bowl and collapse in the middle of a conga and nobody minds. I certainly wouldn't mind throwing a little do at somewhere as lush as Clarence House and William has quite a few other residences on hand where he could go to for pleasure. Why not Fort Belvedere or whatever that ghastly folly of the Duke of Windsor's was called? I have to say that I'm not a natural night clubber so I don't see the appeal of doing the whole club thing but I think if I were William, I might be even more repulsed by a club than I am now. I'd just find it quite irritating that I couldn't dance and have fun without people taking photographs on their phones etc. Did William snort vodka as well? I must say I find this fashion for putting drinks up noses quite repulsive. I knew the rich were depraved but honestly.....

The thing is, though it isn't nice to admit, most Royals take on patronages to look good and couldn't give Judy's rainbow whether they're inspiring or not. Now there are rare exceptions - Princess Anne with the NSPCC for example.

It's an exageration to say this. Anne is not the only exception, but even Anne has some patronages she doesn't care much about on a personal level. I think, honestly, that Anne's approach is more the rule, less the exception, and you aren't giving her relations enough credit. :)

Possibly. Yes, it is an exaggeration. I should have said it's more a mix of charities they care about and charities that boost the numbers. All due credit to her relations and an apology.

Well exactly. If you stay at home you can drink out of the dog's bowl and collapse in the middle of a conga and nobody minds. I certainly wouldn't mind throwing a little do at somewhere as lush as Clarence House and William has quite a few other residences on hand where he could go to for pleasure. Why not Fort Belvedere or whatever that ghastly folly of the Duke of Windsor's was called?
:lol: "The Fort," or else known by George V as "that queer old place!" :ROFLMAO:
I have to say that I'm not a natural night clubber so I don't see the appeal of doing the whole club thing but I think if I were William, I might be even more repulsed by a club than I am now. I'd just find it quite irritating that I couldn't dance and have fun without people taking photographs on their phones etc. Did William snort vodka as well? I must say I find this fashion for putting drinks up noses quite repulsive. I knew the rich were depraved but honestly.....
For me, the evil of nightclubs extend as far as the noise, the awful smoke everywhere, and the sweaty disgusting drunks. :ermm: And these awful places like Boujis, with their R&B tunes.... enough said. I hope William has not snorted vodka, and also hope he has had the sense to tell Harry not to do it again.

Well, we have no smoke in clubs anymore as part of the smoking ban but I agree, I can't see the appeal of booming music etc. What is the reason for snorting vodka? Is it dangerous?

What is the reason for snorting vodka? Is it dangerous?

Well, I think it has no reason, as "reason" implies logic. Apparently stupid kids do it because of some "immediate rush" effect, and it has a quicker inebriating effect than drinking it the normal way.
But honestly, doesn't it sound painful?! :eek: I understand it to be dangerous. It can have long-term damage on the nose. I guess when you become as tolerant of alcohol as some of these kids, doing normal vodka shots is too slow to have effect, but for me it still does the trick quite nicely, so I won't have any of these "vodka tubes" thank you very much. :lol:

And these awful places like Boujis, with their R&B tunes.... enough said.
R&B tunes are probably about the best thing about those clubs. Certainly better than the Abba's greatest hits--enough to make ME snort vodka.

I don't understand why Boujis is better than a private gathering of loyal friends. After all, Clarence House is bound to have a nice bar, possibly a screening room and god knows what other amenities and luxuries. And if not Clarence House or Highgrove,
Come on - would you really expect William to entertain his friends at home (any one of them), if his parents are out, you can bet one of the servants would be more than happy to report all the 'happenings'. The media would also run lurid stories about the weekly orgy being held there and BeatrixFan :)flowers:) would complain about them using the place!

I cannot understand why Prince Charles doesn't advise his son on his behaviour or even the Queen so traditional in some way and regarding his grandsons doesn't do nothing!!!! There are ways to make our sons understand thet they need to behave, this time will pass and they will regret everything they do now!

they are behaving normally in my view and excactly because this time will pass, (they will not be wanting to stick a wineglass on their breast when they are in their thirties, perhaps not even in their late twenties), they will not regret having a good time. And they will regret it if they lose the opportunity to join in the fun with their companions.

He could be doing much worse things, there often are callgirls in these gatherings of young men, but none there as we can see, he is just behaving silly with his mates.

I cannot understand why Prince Charles doesn't advise his son on his behaviour or even the Queen so traditional in some way and regarding his grandsons doesn't do nothing!!!! There are ways to make our sons understand thet they need to behave, this time will pass and they will regret everything they do now!

Was your mommy and daddy sending you to your room at 25 when you had a bender at the club?:D

Luv2Cruise said:
Was your mommy and daddy sending you to your room at 25 when you had a bender at the club?

True.... On the one hand, I can understand biboquinhas, because some kids in their 20s get out of hand and end up regretting their behavior as they mature. But on the other hand, for a parent to take a firm hand in dealing with a 20-something kid is potentially very counterproductive and disastrous. There could be a rebellious response that would be much more regrettable than present behavior.

No special thread for Kate to put news or pics??? Could you re open it please???

We're monitoring this thread to see how many current events William and Kate are actually having. So far there's been one sighting coming out of a club which isn't a lot. There may be more down the line, then of course we will re-evaluate.

I've moved some posts to the Duties and Roles of the Princes thread and some to the Harry/Wills and the Press thread. Some of the posts weren't specific to just one topic (the Princes' duties, their relationship with the press, and current events of William and Kate), so the threads are a bit messy at the moment. If you could choose the appropriate thread for further comments, with luck things will settle down a bit and the threads will get back on course.

Elspeth

British Royals moderator

Last edited:
this weekend is the meeting between the queen and Kate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How do we know this?

Beatrixfan, the Telegraph reports it, and why, even the Daily Mail reports it. And everyone knows they are the most credible newspapers in England.

Beatrixfan, the Telegraph reports it, and why, even the Daily Mail reports it. And everyone knows they are the most credible newspapers in England.

Doesn't the Telegraph article say that the queen is not at Balmoral but at Windsor Castle?

Doesn't the Telegraph article say that the queen is not at Balmoral but at Windsor Castle?

Yes, it says the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh are now at Windsor for the weekend. It also says HM and HRH have not met Kate yet, which is contradictory (and perhaps correctly so, who knows, I don't) to other (maybe less credible) reports. So it's interesting. Pierce says here quite unmistakably that Kate has not met The Queen yet, while other reports from the tabloids have said otherwise. I won't make a judgement here. I don't know what is true, and frankly, I am indifferent to this point. However, it's interesting, the contradiction of it.

Right you are Jo. :)
I'm afraid I was being slightly sarcastic and without proper smilies, it's a bit hard to do so without the appropirate smilies.
Mind, I think I was a bit unfair towards Telegraph too: it's not nearly as unreliable as the Daily Mail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom