Prince William and Catherine Middleton Current Events 8: November 2009-April 29, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lady Oona I was just to the point to do the same thing. In fact video tells more than the photos. She didnt smile she was just asking to william where to sign you are perfectly right but the instant photo shows her smile, when you look at the video it's another story.

I think it can be a nice thing to compare KM with the POW, it dosn't have to be something people have to be defensive about. No one is saying she has to be like Diana but where there is similarities I don't see the harm in commenting about them. After all, everything else aside, Diana was an excellent POW, had great style and was a loving mother so if KM shows the same qualities it is something to be celebrated not to panic about.

Ok I said it was a small nit pick but she did in fact smile as she was signing it- whereas Prince Charles and William appeared very somber. Polite smiles yes but in my opinion (and others out there too) she was too smiley for such a sad occasion- as another poster pointed out maybe she was nervous or needs more princess lessons- I'm not knocking her but if we can't point out things or even say our opinion (as long as it's respectful) what's the point?

MRSJ, I see your point. And also agree that as long as people remain respectful, there should be no problem about stating their opinions, regardless of what that might be :flowers:

It was a serious occasion, but I believe the smile came as a nervous reaction cause the same happens to me and beat myself over it every time it happens. That video really shows us a different prospect, tnks Lady Oona :)

I have to say that Catherine looked lovely. She carries herself quite well for not being royal. She has an almost natural regalness about her, she has elegance and class. Im very proud of the way she has been taking to this new life of hers. Seems she has grown into an exceptional young woman and I think she will make a fine princess.:flowers:

As princess Caroline of Monaco said “princess is not a title, it is a job”. Kate took a job and she does extremely well. She takes her job very seriously. Job well done Kate!

Good video of them arriving to sign the condolence book(different then the BBC video)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUFHOw0uzWI

Can I be honest? I felt a tad bit bad for Prince Harry I think this appearance made me realize it'll no longer be William and Harry but William and Kate. Not that Harry has a problem with it cause he already said how much he loves Kate and already considers her his sister but I think I'm the one who's finding it a tad bit weird.

Lady Oona I was just to the point to do the same thing. In fact video tells more than the photos. She didnt smile she was just asking to william where to sign you are perfectly right but the instant photo shows her smile, when you look at the video it's another story.

Definitely agree - one very small smile when asking William where to sign but overall quite solemn. Even the smile was so quick I'm surprised the photog was able to get it. And on arrival she smiled no more than did William.

Last edited:
ghost_night554 said:
Can I be honest? I felt a tad bit bad for Prince Harry I think this appearance made me realize it'll no longer be William and Harry but William and Kate. Not that Harry has a problem with it cause he already said how much he loves Kate and already considers her his sister but I think I'm the one who's finding it a tad bit weird.
Yup, the Dynamic Duo just became the Three Musketeers!! It was always William & Harry, now with Kate in the mix it will no longer be just the boys. Nothing wrong with that at all, but I can't help but feel until Harry settles down he may cut a rather lonely figure. I'm guessing once they are married Harry may only join them on the very rare occasion, or just have the odd engagement with William (I know they are joint patrons of a few charities).

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree. That's why, unlike some newsmen in this country, I have never found it hard to imagine Harry leaving these shores to marry Chelsey and live in S. Africa with her. William, his wife and children will be the main event in England and so I think, and always have, that Harry will marry Chelsey and live his own life wth her abroad.

Poor Kate! She's brand new to this and I think she's doing a fine job. She wasn't laughing or giggling, it was just a small smile. She will learn how to put on a mask, but there are so many things for her to get used to and it will take time to master all the items on her checklist.

As for Harry, surely it was only a matter of time till he was displaced by the new dynamic now William has a fiance. He is the "spare", and the focus is bound to concentrate on William and Kate as a couple, for that is where the future of the monarchy lies. Harry will continue to be sidelined, but that is part of the natural order of things in the RF.

ETA I agree, Angela. Once William and Kate have a child, Harry will be off the hook and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him married to Chelsy and living in South Africa.

Last edited:
ghost_night554 said:
Good video of them arriving to sign the condolence book
Watching this video only makes me feel more sure she did smile when taking the pen, and sitting and signing and asking William- agree it was probably nerves. That's my opinion on this so we shall have to agree to disagree but overall I agree she did fine. This was only a small piece.....:)

PS- I will be happy to offer my comfort to Harry should he be lonely! ;) ;) (wink)

angela said:
I agree. That's why, unlike some newsmen in this country, I have never found it hard to imagine Harry leaving these shores to marry Chelsey and live in S. Africa with her. William, his wife and children will be the main event in England and so I think, and always have, that Harry will marry Chelsey and live his own life wth her abroad.

IMO, I think if he were to move, it would be on a part time basis. I don't know...I couldn't see him completely leaving England behind. Once nephews & nieces arrive I could see him sticking to his military career and actually going back to the front line. He could very well marry Chelsey and since the focus will be more on William and Kate than him, they might be alright with living in England most of the time for the sake of his military career. Massively speculative to say the least!!!! LOL

Clearly she can't wait to be HRH....
My problem with the appreance was she was laughing during a somber event....

I have to say that after finally catching up with the coverage of the last couple of days, I'm really very pleased.

Catherine did a lovely job at all 3 events. I like the little touch of the buttons on her fascinator that referenced Wales, and how friendly and warm she was with the folks she met. Learning the Welsh national anthem was a home run. Way to go!!

It has been nice to watch William and Catherine together. He's clearly taking quite a bit of care with her, and it's wonderful to see them so happy and in tune with one another.

:previous:OK...what's your point?:ermm:

:previous:Should she have been crying instead?:sad:

My point is that it's annoying already to have every outfit she wears compared to a photo of her dead mother-in-law. She's about to become a member of the British Royal Family and therefore is going to spend the rest of her life wearing suits, just like Diana did. The need to drag up photos tying what Catherine wears back to Diana is just sad.

Interesting spot Catherine is in ... if she smiles, she's not sober enough and "clearly can't wait to be HRH".

If she had not smiled I'm sure she would have been criticized for being gloomy and dour.

I'm sure Prince William has forewarned her about the "can't win situation" she will be entering into.

She's in the same spot as every other member of the BRF or any royals, celebrities, or famous people- I am sure she understood what she would be giving up and found it worth it to marry her love, but it doesn't mean people can't comment.

Given his position leaving the country to live isn't an option until there are four descendents of William over 21 as, until then, he is a Councillor of State and has to reside in the UK.Currently the CoS are Charles, William, Harry and Andrew.

When Charles becomes King, Beatrice will replace Charles unless William's eldest child is already 21 (meaning that the Queen has to live until at least 107). William will need four descendents over 21 to replace Harry as a CoS within William's own reign or 3 in Charles'.

My point is that it's annoying already to have every outfit she wears compared to a photo of her dead mother-in-law. She's about to become a member of the British Royal Family and therefore is going to spend the rest of her life wearing suits, just like Diana did. The need to drag up photos tying what Catherine wears back to Diana is just sad.

I feel you. I don't remember Diana at all and couldn't tell you a thing she wore other than her wedding dress. So when Kate wears a blue dress and red suit and someone drags out pics of Diana wearing something very slightly similar, I just roll my eyes and laugh. IMO, it's ridiculous. A million people other than Diana have worn a blue dress and a suit, much more recently, and a lot more similar. But, then I remember that I'm reading a British Royal message board with a lot of people who clearly idolized Diana and have come to accept that it will never ever ever end. For fun, I may just start comparing her clothing to Fergie or Sophie. Mix it up. :p

Given his position leaving the country to live isn't an option until there are four descendents of William over 21 as, until then, he is a Councillor of State and has to reside in the UK.

Currently the CoS are Charles, William, Harry and Andrew.

When Charles becomes King, Beatrice will replace Charles unless William's eldest child is already 21 (meaning that the Queen has to live until at least 107). William will need four descendents over 21 to replace Harry as a CoS within William's own reign or 3 in Charles'.

Great information! I thought there was a reason he wouldn't be able to live outside of the country since he is currently 3rd. I didn't know about the other issues.

She wasn't laughing at this event.

And, in terms of style, most young women who need to adopt a particular style (such as that of a princess) do a bit of study. I imagine Kate has studied the PoW's style quite a bit (I want to say, haven't we all?) It's true that Diana wore nearly everything that could be worn by a princess and, like the Queen and Queen Mum, worked hard at matching her style to the occasion.

Kate is learning and doing the same thing. Personally, I like that she doesn't emphasize the "princessy" side of the role too much and look forward with anticipation to seeing what is designed for her to wear at the wedding.

Originally Posted by lyndell75
Clearly she can't wait to be HRH....
My problem with the appreance was she was laughing during a somber event....

She was not laughing!!! And if you watch the BBC video you'll see Harry smiling much more when talking to a representative of the house of new zealand and william too. They just are polite and as much smiling as their hosts! What do you take them for? Laughing when attending such a function? In no way they did!

There were a few of us who found the outfits very similar - I know as soon as I saw Kate wearing the outfit I thought of that outfit of Diana's (which happens to be one of my favorites of hers). I don't think anyone meant anything negative by bringing it up.

I never implied that you or anyone else meant anything negative by it, I simply mean that it's pointless, and more than a bit macabre.

I feel you. I don't remember Diana at all and couldn't tell you a thing she wore other than her wedding dress. So when Kate wears a blue dress and red suit and someone drags out pics of Diana wearing something very slightly similar, I just roll my eyes and laugh. IMO, it's ridiculous. A million people other than Diana have worn a blue dress and a suit, much more recently, and a lot more similar. But, then I remember that I'm reading a British Royal message board with a lot of people who clearly idolized Diana and have come to accept that it will never ever ever end. For fun, I may just start comparing her clothing to Fergie or Sophie. Mix it up. :p

LOL! Now that's going to extremes! :p

I guess my point is that Diana was one of the most photographed women in the world and she was a clotheshorse. Anything Catherine wears, I guarantee you can find something similar on Diana at some point in her life as a Princess. The fact is that fashion just isn't that broad - small things change, but there are only so many colors in the rainbow, and there are suits, skirts and blouses, dresses and pants. End of story. Let Catherine be Catherine.

I never implied that you or anyone else meant anything negative by it, I simply mean that it's pointless, and more than a bit macabre.

Only if you're thinking of things in those terms, which I think is odd. Sometimes it's just a similar outfit, nothing deeper than that. Some people just take notice of fashion for fashion's sake. If someone compared it to something Jacqueline Kennedy or Grace Kelly had worn, would that be macabre? I wouldn't think so. It's just an outfit (and a lovely one at that).

Has anyone read Anderson's recent book, William and Kate?
I just started, and it has some interesting information.

(For example, I was not aware that William hated it at St. Andrews and spent almost every weekend away from it. But he was not allowed to transfer out because Charles didn't want to upset the Scottish separatists!)

What source does the author use for this information? I find it difficult to believe that Prince Charles had anything to do with William staying at St. Andrews, political or otherwise. William chose to attend St. Andrews of his own will. Since Charles himself was forced to attend schools that he was miserable at when he was younger and based on how differently he has brought up his sons compared to how he was brought up, it just doesn't make sense that he would force William to stay there if he was that unhappy.

From all I have read, William did have a difficult time at first and wanted to leave, but at Kate's encouragement he changed his major and settled right in. He may not have enjoyed living on campus, but that was resolved when he, Kate and a few friends moved into an off campus flat. By all reports he seemed to enjoy his time there since he had relative privacy from the press, loyal friends and a close relationship with Kate.

(For example, I was not aware that William hated it at St. Andrews and spent almost every weekend away from it. But he was not allowed to transfer out because Charles didn't want to upset the Scottish separatists!)

Not the most reliable source, but Katie Nicholl says the opposite. :ermm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom