The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 05:57 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossop7

Don't get too excited! It's the Obama's coming over to the UK for a state visit in late May (think that was the dates). Pretty much confirms they won't be invited to the wedding in many people's views too as that'd be 2 visits in 2 months for them.
Ok thank you! I was excited for a minute, almost started packing my suitcase to get to where they'd be lol :)

Old 02-17-2011, 06:01 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
Ok thank you! I was excited for a minute, almost started packing my suitcase to get to where they'd be lol :)
Lol, your trip would have to be all the way to London in this case! Plus since it's a proper state visit the main focus will surely be Obamas/Queen & PP...maybe William & Kate will turn up for a dinner or something, maybe they won't even make an appearance at all. Has William ever done anything with regards to a state visit before? Has he been to the dinners or any event like that? I know Charles, Anne etc have turned up to a few but never noticed William to be involved yet as such.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:14 PM
Heir Apparent

I hope they love Canada as much as I do. My most favorite place to stay is Niagara-on-the Lake, Ontario. I go there whenever I can. Love the black squirrels! Oh, Canada!

Vancouver is such a lovely place, I am very surprised it is not on the itinerary.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossop7 View Post
Don't get too excited! It's the Obama's coming over to the UK for a state visit in late May (think that was the dates). Pretty much confirms they won't be invited to the wedding in many people's views too as that'd be 2 visits in 2 months for them.
I was thinking the same thing, but a state visit totally makes up for any no MichelleObama-in-a-hat at the wedding. I can't wait to see what Michelle wears. Just realized though, Wills and Kate will be on honeymoon most likely and probably wont partake in the USA visit. There I was thinking we would see Kate twice in tiaras in the span of month of becoming a princess.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Indeed, many people complaining about tax payer's money I find quite often literally only have that line "but it's our money they're wasting!" as they're entire argument. They've no idea exactly where "their" money has come from, what else it has been spent on by the government, what exactly their money is or is not paying for with regards to royals. It's like a reflex argument with no actual thought..."Argh, they're wasting my money, hate them!" In my view the money spent on the royals in the UK is a pittance compared to money wasted elsewhere, if only everyone were up in arms about that wastage like they are for anything with the royals! Anyway...probably a rant for another thread

Back on topic, how are the planned visit being reported/viewed over in Canada (aside from some upset that they arne't due to visit their city etc). I mean in general, is it being viewed in a positive light, is there excitment already or is it not getting much notice & it'd be a bigger deal nearer the time.
Watched Global last night they went to the people on the street and IMO from the short clip I saw not too many seemed thrilled. They seemed to care more about how much the trip would cost. Hopefully that's not the vibe throughout the whole country.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:18 PM
Majesty

I can't remember William ever being involved in a State event. I think that the most formal events have been family ones, such as his grandparents' 60th wedding anniversary.

Quote:
Lol, your trip would have to be all the way to London in this case! Plus since it's a proper state visit the main focus will surely be Obamas/Queen & PP...maybe William & Kate will turn up for a dinner or something, maybe they won't even make an appearance at all. Has William ever done anything with regards to a state visit before? Has he been to the dinners or any event like that? I know Charles, Anne etc have turned up to a few but never noticed William to be involved yet as such.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:29 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princejohnny25 View Post
I was thinking the same thing, but a state visit totally makes up for any no MichelleObama-in-a-hat at the wedding. I can't wait to see what Michelle wears. Just realized though, Wills and Kate will be on honeymoon most likely and probably wont partake in the USA visit. There I was thinking we would see Kate twice in tiaras in the span of month of becoming a princess.
Kate and William will be back in the UK before the visit in late May. They are only going on honeymoon for a couple of weeks. William has to get back to work.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:25 AM
Heir Presumptive

You know, I've never visited my youngest nephew in Ottawa before. Wonder if he'd mind company for Canada Day?

Why am I not surprised the media are acting like this is some horrible thing they're not going to Toronto. Part of the reason no one really knows that Charles and Diana came to Sudbury in 1991, is because it wasn't just a visit by them. It was also the Official Welcome to both Canada and The Province of Ontario. Not just a normal visit to Sudbury of TRH and the Toronto Media were more than just a bit nasty in their reaction to that happening in, and I quote...

Quote:
A hick backwards Northern Ontario Mining Town that isn't even close to being a proper place to officially welcome Their Royal Highnesses.
Which, of course, not only insulted the entire Region to such a degree, but the City Council was even going forward w/Libel and Slander Suits against certain newspapers for their venomous treatment of both Sudbury and Northeastern Ontario during that period of time. They were settled out of court in the end, but it's an example of what can happen when the Toronto (Centre of the Universe in Canada) Media thinks they're being "snubbed" when it comes to something big, like this Tour will be.

So the reaction doesn't surprise me at all. I'm not surprised they're not going to BC this time either, because William's last visit to Canada *was* to BC. Of course that wasn't an official visit, but it was still a visit. It wouldn't surprise me if that came into the consideration of where, when the Tour takes place, TRH would visit in a few months. :)

Just my $0.02 Cdn!! :)
Old 02-18-2011, 02:00 AM
Heir Apparent

I just hope I don't have to wait a long time to see them. I heard William enjoyed the skiing over here last time. To William: any time you and Kate feel like going skiing your welcome to come over here hehe
Old 02-18-2011, 05:08 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princejohnny25 View Post
There I was thinking we would see Kate twice in tiaras in the span of month of becoming a princess.
I think the only likelihood we have of seeing Catherine in a tiara is if she attends the state dinner for the Obama's when they visit. It is unvlear if they will attend as William has previously never attended a state dinner.

Catherine is not expected to wear a tiara in Canada. The only lady from the BRF who typically wears tiaras abroad is HM.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:32 AM
Administrator

I seem to remember a picture of Sarah wearing her tiara when she came to London. She was in a Red/White evening dress. Does anyone else remember that?

I will see if I can find any of Diana doing the same when she first visited Canada.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:53 AM
Courtier

ok, this is odd...

Kate Middleton shows off her cleavage and belly button piercing | Mail Online
Old 02-18-2011, 09:02 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ann View Post
not just odd-sick. That artist has some sexual problems.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:04 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiea View Post

seems he has done other famous people as well
Old 02-18-2011, 11:56 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I think the only likelihood we have of seeing Catherine in a tiara is if she attends the state dinner for the Obama's when they visit. It is unvlear if they will attend as William has previously never attended a state dinner.

Catherine is not expected to wear a tiara in Canada. The only lady from the BRF who typically wears tiaras abroad is HM.
Well, from what I recall, Diana and Fergie both wore tiaras during the visits to Canada and other commonwealth countries. I'm pretty sure the Countess of Wessex even wore a tiara during her visit, but recently it seems like they've stopped wearing them at simply official banquets. But maybe that trend will change...
Old 02-18-2011, 01:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiea View Post
I don't find it either odd or sick. It is art. Art is subjective. I think it is rather nice and Kate looks very pretty...at least it isn't a photo.

If I'm not mistaken, Kate does have a belly ring. Before everyone goes wild, it was some time ago and may or may not have been a reputable source. However, they were all the rage when she was in college.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:22 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
I don't find it either odd or sick. It is art. Art is subjective. I think it is rather nice and Kate looks very pretty...at least it isn't a photo.
Wow, I agree on this one. I think it is a nice artistic expression and display.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Kiss Me Kate -Drink to Kate Middleton with a new beer.

That painting is...interesting. It's nice that the proceeds will be going to charity.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:43 PM
Commoner

Do Prince William have an facebook account of Twitter account that he chats on or even an emial address that they go to
Old 02-18-2011, 02:53 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmen jones View Post
Do Prince William have an facebook account of Twitter account that he chats on or even an emial address that they go to
I assume he has but I doubt that it is public.

Closed Thread

Tags
catherine middleton, kate middleton, prince william