The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 12:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
So anyone who holds a different view to you over Harrys' activities, is whining?

I disagreed with the jaunt to Africa and the next one, again to Africa on a bike ride. Great that he is doing something for the forces, however what would be better still, is if he was seen to be doing his job without the granting of special leave!
Its a bit difficult to judge whether he is doing his charity work on special leave or not.

Also, the boys are hardly going to have "normal" careers in the army, as their royal duties will take precdence. That is just a function of who they are, and to think otherwise might be a bit naive IMO.

Old 11-04-2008, 01:44 PM
Courtier

BelgaPicture - Quick search

Prince Harry backs injured soldiers trek to Mount Everest - Telegraph

Rex Features

Old 11-04-2008, 03:11 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Its a bit difficult to judge whether he is doing his charity work on special leave or not.

Also, the boys are hardly going to have "normal" careers in the army, as their royal duties will take precdence. That is just a function of who they are, and to think otherwise might be a bit naive IMO.
With the sweetest heart in the world, the amount of leave he has had is in excess of any other equal rank soldier and it was reported that special leave had been granted. If as you are suggesting they are never going to have normal careers in the army, lets pay them pro rata! If their royal duties are going to take precedence over the full time job they signed up for, these men should have to decide which they are going to be full time at.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
......it was reported that special leave had been granted.
As we have seen, everything reported does not need to be true. I am not sure that either the MoD or Clarence House have commented on this.

Quote:
If their royal duties are going to take precedence over the full time job they signed up for, these men should have to decide which they are going to be full time at.
Their royal duties will always take precedence, especially in the case of William. William is very much spending some time in the forces, in preparation for his role as C-in-C. Nobody would argue this is his full time career, but merely a step in his training for the top job.

In case of Harry, I think this will be his main occupation. However, he too, has obligations as a relatively senior member of the royal family, which he will need to honour. I really do not think this is a case of either one or the other, but of finding the right balance.

Quote:
If as you are suggesting they are never going to have normal careers in the army, lets pay them pro rata!
I am not sure what has been disclosed about the remuneration the boys receive for their time in the forces, so do not feel adequately informed to comment.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Their royal duties will always take precedence, especially in the case of William. William is very much spending some time in the forces, in preparation for his role as C-in-C. Nobody would argue this is his full time career, but merely a step in his training for the top job. - snipped - I am not sure what has been disclosed about the remuneration the boys receive for their time in the forces, so do not feel adequately informed to comment.
On your other comments, we will simply have to agree to differ, on these - Does William need training for a possible future role as CiC, as has been shown by his grandmother - NO.

Neither I nor any relatives are in charge of salaries, however, it is a certainty that if either of them have not been receiving pay or had received a reduced rate, Clarence House would have announced it or let it slip! So I believe we can be pretty certain that it is not the case!
Old 11-04-2008, 04:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

Wasn´t it the Duke of Windsor who when he asked about his pay when he was in France was told that he was the very first member of the royal family to want to be paid for serving his country, so I take it that neither Harry or William are being paid.
At least that is what I understand.... I don´t know of course.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:09 PM

I am just grateful for anyone who brings enthusiastic and creative energy to being a beneficial presence on the planet. I don't care if Harry splits his time among multiple roles. He is a young, energetic man and probably there are not enough hours in the day for all the stuff he wants to do.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:14 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarue View Post
Wasn´t it the Duke of Windsor who when he asked about his pay when he was in France was told that he was the very first member of the royal family to want to be paid for serving his country, so I take it that neither Harry or William are being paid.
At least that is what I understand.... I don´t know of course.
That was a long time ago and he wanted to receive the pension payment whilst in exile! I understand both William and Harry receive remuneration commensurate with their rank.

I have neither seen nor heard anything to suggest they are not following the example of their uncle Andrew, whose naval salary has been discussed at length!
Old 11-05-2008, 04:03 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Does William need training for a possible future role as CiC, as has been shown by his grandmother - NO.
Your point is valid, and I am sure people will hold vastly diverse views on the subject. That said, I am sure of one thing: if the boys had not pursued military careers, they would have been severely criticised for it. Its not that long ago (and prior to the announcement of his propsoed attachemnt with the SAR team) that William was being criticised for having a relatively short career in the armed forces. Fact is that most people would like (and expect!) to see the young royals serve in the armed forces for some time at least.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:32 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
That was a long time ago and he wanted to receive the pension payment whilst in exile! I understand both William and Harry receive remuneration commensurate with their rank.

I have neither seen nor heard anything to suggest they are not following the example of their uncle Andrew, whose naval salary has been discussed at length!
Andrew had a naval salary? Sorry I didn´t see this. But the Duke of Windsor was supposedly on active duty in Paris at the time and when Fruity Metcalfe complained to him that he wasn´t getting his army pay, he got more or less the answer that he wasn´t either so why should Fruity. Then there was the little problem of the Duke leaving his post to take his wife to safety and whether that should be called desertion or not. It wasn´t but it was discussed. As you said this was a long time ago times have changed.
I have nothing against the Princes being paid, don´t get me wrong, I am just surprised that they seem to have so much leave.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:15 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarue View Post
Andrew had a naval salary? Sorry I didn´t see this. ---snipped----
I have nothing against the Princes being paid, don´t get me wrong, I am just surprised that they seem to have so much leave.
Quote:
Prince Andrew's salary will rise by £9,000, to £45,000, when he takes up his new post.
Navy 'bent the rules' over Prince's new job
Regarding the amount of leave, you are not the only one surprised at the amount of leave, especially as only one of them has seen active service and that (OK, it wasn't his fault), for a very short time.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:37 AM
Courtier

It is great to see the princes doing charity work and supporting good causes, so much better than images of them leaving parties and nightclubs.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:20 PM
Serene Highness

'I'm not ginger. I'm auburn', claims Prince Harry | Mail Online

Look at the second pic;I'd give anything to know what Harry was saying to Robin Williams to make a face like that!
Old 11-16-2008, 03:47 PM
Courtier

Prince Harry’s the perfect 007 says Bond star Daniel Craig | Mail Online
Old 11-18-2008, 07:14 AM
Royal Highness

Akon wants to teach Prince Harry how to rap - mirror.co.uk

Do you think Prince Harry would like to rap?
Old 11-18-2008, 10:07 AM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Well, Headcases did feature that "Hazmat Harry" rap scene ...

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 11-18-2008, 06:50 PM
Serene Highness

Lol, I laughed out loud when I read that Harry knows Akons "Smack That" lyrics inside out. I'd love to be a fly on the wall for that. I wonder where Akon heard that?
Old 11-18-2008, 07:23 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Harry says: I'm Prince Airy | The Sun

So Harry's definitely caught the helicopter bug then, too, it appears.

I think the picture of him that accompanies the article is quite a good one. He looks like Earl Spencer with Prince Philip's eyes and nose.

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 11-20-2008, 11:23 PM
Serene Highness

^In terms of looks, career path and taste in women, Harry eerily mirrors Prince Andrew who also held a similar position than him in the succession (the spare). I hope the similarity ends here and he will be able to be more successful in love and life than his uncle.

Old 11-21-2008, 04:18 PM
Serene Highness

FYI: Harry is featured in this years issue of "Sexiest Man Alive". There's just a small picture.

Tags
prince harry, scandal, video