Prince Harry Current Events 20: May-June 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
cowarth said:
The press has considered him the spare since birth, then they wonder why he acts the way he does in public. How would you act if all your life you were considered the spare?
Many 2nd son's live with the fact without any problems. The eldest son inherits the lot, normally has a ready made career, the family home, jewels and investments. It is the first born eldest girl that you should feel sorry for, she is not considered worthy of inheriting as much as her younger brothers! :hedwig:

Harry could quit Army to do charity work

Prince Harry may decide to leave the Army to pursue a new role carrying out charity work, according to his friends.

Harry could quit Army to do charity work | Uk News | News | Telegraph

Last edited:
MoD seeks news blackout on Harry's future army moves

like this will ever work with the modern media

Skydragon said:
Many 2nd son's live with the fact without any problems. The eldest son inherits the lot, normally has a ready made career, the family home, jewels and investments. It is the first born eldest girl that you should feel sorry for, she is not considered worthy of inheriting as much as her younger brothers! :hedwig:

Harry could quit Army to do charity work

Prince Harry may decide to leave the Army to pursue a new role carrying out charity work, according to his friends.

Harry could quit Army to do charity work | Uk News | News | Telegraph

I'd hate to see him leave the Army (partly because he looks good in uniform, but that's another story), but if he chooses to do so, he has a big heart and I can see him making an impact helping others. He inherited that from his mother. I don't believe people who say that he acts all lovey-dovey around children for the cameras.....I think there's genuine affection there and he could put it to good use.

Has he been back to the orphanage in Lasotheo?

HRH Kimetha said:
MoD seeks news blackout on Harry's future army moves

Revelations about the deployment of Prince Harry to a war zone will be censored if the government agrees to a proposal that future information surrounding his military career is covered by a D-notice.
A D-notice - an official request to newspaper editors not to publish items on specified subjects for reasons of national security - can apply to individuals if there is thought to be a 'grave threat' to their safety.

Bid to censor press over prince's army deployment | UK News | The Observer

I wonder why it didn't occur to these people to do this right from the start. Can it really have been incompetence, or what on earth were they thinking? They must know what the press is like where the young royals are concerned, and minor considerations like national security wouldn't have made any difference to them.

Sister Morphine said:
I'd hate to see him leave the Army (partly because he looks good in uniform, but that's another story), but if he chooses to do so, he has a big heart and I can see him making an impact helping others. He inherited that from his mother. I don't believe people who say that he acts all lovey-dovey around children for the cameras.....I think there's genuine affection there and he could put it to good use.

I always love it when people say that he inherited his caring side from his mother.

What about his father - who has been caring for others since long before Diana came on the scene - the Princes TRust was set up in the 70s. The RF has spent its life, for most of the last 100 years 'caring for others' in the way that Diana did. They just didn't make sure that the cameras were there to photograph them doing the job.

The Queen went to a leper colony in the 1950s and raised awareness of that disease but of course Harry couldn't inherit a caring side from the Windsors could he? Anne has been heavily been involved with caring for children since she was a young woman - she just doesn't need cameras around her to do the job - of course Harry couldn't get any idea about caring for people from his Aunt Anne.

All his good qualities must come from Diana and all his bad from Charles - give me a break - his father's family have been in the caring business for a long time e.g. Edward VII going to visit the poverty stricken areas of London and then getting extremely upset when he wasn't allowed to vote on the Housing Bill that came out of the committee set up to investigate the housing situation. Edward VIII's famous 'something must be done' when seeing the miners conditions during the Depression. George VI worked with youth throughout his time as Duke of York.

You get my point, I hope - Harry has ancestors on both sides of his family who have cared for people not just from his mother.

chrissy57 said:
I always love it when people say that he inherited his caring side from his mother.

What about his father - who has been caring for others since long before Diana came on the scene - the Princes TRust was set up in the 70s. The RF has spent its life, for most of the last 100 years 'caring for others' in the way that Diana did. They just didn't make sure that the cameras were there to photograph them doing the job.

The Queen went to a leper colony in the 1950s and raised awareness of that disease but of course Harry couldn't inherit a caring side from the Windsors could he? Anne has been heavily been involved with caring for children since she was a young woman - she just doesn't need cameras around her to do the job - of course Harry couldn't get any idea about caring for people from his Aunt Anne.

All his good qualities must come from Diana and all his bad from Charles - give me a break - his father's family have been in the caring business for a long time e.g. Edward VII going to visit the poverty stricken areas of London and then getting extremely upset when he wasn't allowed to vote on the Housing Bill that came out of the committee set up to investigate the housing situation. Edward VIII's famous 'something must be done' when seeing the miners conditions during the Depression. George VI worked with youth throughout his time as Duke of York.

You get my point, I hope - Harry has ancestors on both sides of his family who have cared for people not just from his mother.

I wasn't implying that no one in his family, ever ever forever ever in the history of the British monarchy has cared for people other than his mother. HOWEVER, what we most remember seeing from Diana was the works she did with children, especially those afflicted with AIDS. I distinctly remember a photo of her hugging a child who had AIDS during a time when people thought you could still contract it through casual contact. I was merely drawing upon one similarity I see in him and his mother.

Last edited:
Elspeth said:
Can it really have been incompetence, or what on earth were they thinking?

That's the thing...they weren't thinking. Or, not thinking on Earth!:D Bunch of dummies!

cowarth said:
Has he been back to the orphanage in Lasotheo?
According to the Sentebale official site and also the Prince of Wales official site, there is a Sentebale unit in the UK and actually Sentebale is working concurrently with a fund that both Princes william and harry set up for the Diana concert, and Sentebale will draw some of the money raised from the concert. So I think he is working a lot for Sentebale in ways that we don't see. Plus, the cofounder, Prince What-is-his-name of Lesotho, has an office in London, it seems, and works a lot helping the princes coordinate everything.
I can see Harry making a long career in the army and managing charitable contributions all the same. His uncle was able to do it. I think Prince Harry feels a lot of pressure to serve in a warzone like his uncle but he should cut himself a break. Really, he should let is be what it is. The Iraq war is much entirely different from the Falklands squabble. That Falklands conflict looks like cake compared to Iraq. The dangers in Harry's case are much more extreme. Let's be real. He should stop comparing himself to past wars and his elders. He is in an entirely unique situation, ripe with fresh and much more extreme dangers. Terrorism today is not what it was in 1982 or whatever.

Sister Morphine said:
I wasn't implying that no one in his family, ever ever forever ever in the history of the British monarchy has cared for people other than his mother. HOWEVER, what we most remember seeing from Diana was the works she did with children, especially those afflicted with AIDS. I distinctly remember a photo of her hugging a child who had AIDS during a time when people thought you could still contract it through casual contact. I was merely drawing upon one similarity I see in him and his mother.

Different people are struck by different images. I had followed Audrey Hepburn during her early work in Africa with children dying of starvation of AIDS so by the time Diana came on the scene holding a child with AIDS it was great but it was the second time I had seen such an image and so it probably wasn't as striking to me as much as it was to you.

I would agree Harry is a very caring young man; I didn't think much of where he got it from; regardless of where he got it from, I think its an admirable trait and am very happy to see it.

ysbel said:
Different people are struck by different images. I had followed Audrey Hepburn during her early work in Africa with children dying of starvation of AIDS so by the time Diana came on the scene holding a child with AIDS it was great but it was the second time I had seen such an image and so it probably wasn't as striking to me as much as it was to you.

I would agree Harry is a very caring young man; I didn't think much of where he got it from; regardless of where he got it from, I think its an admirable trait and am very happy to see it.

Well, Diana did once say that of her two sons, Harry was most like her with his mischievous, but also very emotional temperment. I am sure she meant this in the sense that she and Harry had more need to touch people and be very expressive emotionally, whereas William has more of his father's sense of reserve. I think Prince Charles has an equally passionate personality to Diana, but he finds different ways to show it. Diana was all about hugs and giggles and dramatic shaking of hands and touching and everything. Prince Charles shows how much he cares by the intensity with which he immerses himself in matters. That is my observation anyway. Both of them are/were passionate beings, but had different ways to express themselves. I think Harry might be a bit more like his mother, william a bit more like Dad, or maybe William is a mix, I don't know. It is harder to say with William. He shows elements of both Charles and Diana at varying times. He seems to have the best of both parents DNA going on. I am most impressed with Prince William. :)

In the documentary Prince Harry in Lesotho, Harry said he was going to financially take care of Liketso, one of the HIV orphans education.

Last edited:
cowarth said:
In the documentary Prince Harry in Lesotho, Harry said he was going to financially take care of Liketso, one of the HIV orphans education.
That's awesome. It must mean he will pay for all of the kid's treatment and any surgeries and then schooling. Maybe he "adopted" the kid like we could "adopt" a child in Africa. That is pretty awesome.

ysbel said:
Well said! :rainbow: :flowers:
Like you I remember earlier 'caring' images, long before Diana.

Skydragon said:
Well said! :rainbow: :flowers:
Like you I remember earlier 'caring' images, long before Diana.
I think it is important to remember that Harry is 50/50 Charles/Diana, as we are all 50/50 our parents DNA. The people who say Harry takes after his mother about the Sentebale/Lesotho pictures are not necessarily saying he gets only his "caring"ness from Diana; I think they mean just that the cause is the same as that which consumed much of Diana's energy: AIDS! AIDS was Diana's pet cause, and helping AIDS babies in Lesotho is the pet cause of Sentebale, and something that Harry learned a lot about from Diana.
It is not said because anyone wants to minimize Charles's influence on him. It is said only to highlight Diana's influence in this one area.
Charles has influenced him in other areas. I believe in giving credit where it is due. I never took sides in the Charles/Diana so-called "wars". I always saw the best in both of them, and I believe now we should give credit where it is deserved.

CasiraghiTrio said:
I think it is important to remember that Harry is 50/50 Charles/Diana, as we are all 50/50 our parents DNA. The people who say Harry takes after his mother about the Sentebale/Lesotho pictures are not necessarily saying he gets only his "caring"ness from Diana; I think they mean just that the cause is the same as that which consumed much of Diana's energy: AIDS! AIDS was Diana's pet cause, and helping AIDS babies in Lesotho is the pet cause of Sentebale, and something that Harry learned a lot about from Diana.
It is not said because anyone wants to minimize Charles's influence on him. It is said only to highlight Diana's influence in this one area.
Charles has influenced him in other areas. I believe in giving credit where it is due. I never took sides in the Charles/Diana so-called "wars". I always saw the best in both of them, and I believe now we should give credit where it is deserved.

I also personnally think that the "caring"ness comes from being a royal and having to find "charities" to put your royal mark on because that is what the royals do...charities because that's what keeps them busy behind polo and other personal things they do. They have to do something to be a reason to be in order to live in the palace. Not meaning to sound harsh. It was imminent that Harry found his own charity he can live with the rest of his life. Just my take on the matter.:)

Harry is more charity oriented then other royals, he went to Africa by himself, not to make some political expression, he went for the life experience.

cowarth said:
Harry is more charity oriented then other royals, he went to Africa by himself, not to make some political expression, he went for the life experience.

I don't believe that. As someone pointed out, the Royal Family has always been very charity-minded and very in tune with those kinds of things.

I have had quite a few PM's asking me what a junior watchkeeper does, so because I'm getting lazy in my old age, I'm cheating.

A junior watchkeeper will be working within a very small team evaluating any reports that come in. It is an important job, if you file 'Incident A' because you thought it was insignificant and it turns out to be snafu ....! :ohmy: It is something he will already have studied and would only need a little retraining.

Thank you Skydragon for the information.

To keep the current events threads for current events, I have opened a thread in Members' Corner called Military Questions.

Questions relating to ranks, duties and anything to do with the military that isn't specific to William or Harry's current events should be posted in the new thread.

thanks,
Warren
British Forums moderator

Last edited:
How is Afghanistan any safer then Iraq for Harry to deploy?

Sister Morphine said:
I don't believe that. As someone pointed out, the Royal Family has always been very charity-minded and very in tune with those kinds of things.
True, plus Princess Anne went to Africa on behalf of Save the Children long before Prince Harry for Sentebale, long before Diana for the British Red Cross.

Princess Anne started the royal work in Africa.

CasiraghiTrio said:
True, plus Princess Anne went to Africa on behalf of Save the Children long before Prince Harry for Sentebale, long before Diana for the British Red Cross.

Really? I didn't know that. Thanks. :)

cowarth said:
Princess Anne started the royal work in Africa.

Well, since most of Africa is composed of nations started in XXth Century, as a result of independence from various empires, and from the borders imposed by the Vienna Congress -- the former French colonies, the former Dutch, British, and German colonies all coming to "independence" in their various ways in accordance with their various "agreements" with the mother countries -- I suppose the charitable contributions of the royal families of europe in the Continent of Africa are a (late) XXth Century innovation.
The IXXth Century interactions between Africa and Europe were not quite so
"charitable", were they?! :lol:

Last edited:
CasiraghiTrio said:
The IXXth Century interactions between Africa and Europe were not quite so "charitable", were they?! :lol:

Wasn't the British more "prominent" in the role of a world leader in front of those European countries who had colonies in Africa? Because if that was the case, then the Brits felt more compiled to aid those "colonies" they had once governed. But, doesn't those European countries also do some sort of charities in Africa? I hate to see that the only nations in the world doing charitable work in Africa is the US and UK.

As we are now discussing colonial Africa, we seem to have drifted well away from Prince Harry's current events.

If Harry is deployed over seas, do you think his girl friend will wait for him to come home? Do you think Harry could survive a long distance relationship?

Warren said:
As we are now discussing colonial Africa, we seem to have drifted well away from Prince Harry's current events.

Are there current events? Just wondering... ;)

cowarth said:
If Harry is deployed over seas, do you think his girl friend will wait for him to come home? Do you think Harry could survive a long distance relationship?
Well considering that from the beginning of their relationship, it's been a long distance one and they're still together after 3 years I think Harry is prefectly capable of surviving a long distance relationship. Chelsy was living in South Africa and Harry in the UK and they saw each other when one or the other visited during their holidays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom